Non-motoring > Phone Question no 256 Miscellaneous
Thread Author: R.P. Replies: 71

Phone Question no 256 - R.P.
My iPhone 5 is coming up to 3 years old and still works well. However I fancy change. My wife has a 6 and I was considering going Android. Knowing SFA about these I need to know how well they interface with my home computers (Apple). My iPhone shares its photos on iCloud direct to iPhoto. Is there a similar arrangement I can get to work with Android ?
 Phone Question no 256 - Runfer D'Hills
Dunno, but my 5s is fandabidozy. Even I can work it. Bit crap as a phone mind you, but awfully good at emails and so on.
 Phone Question no 256 - CGNorwich
www.cnet.com/uk/how-to/the-complete-guide-to-using-android-with-a-mac/

Use Dropbox
 Phone Question no 256 - Zero
I moved from iPhone to android, and I use A macbook,and the answer is

It Depends

If you use Gmail, its a doodle. Gmail mail, and Calendar synchs with mail and calendar apps on macbook

If you want to synch photos, you can but its a faffy workaround on Android phone, so a move to dropbox or google drive fixes that problem.

I am glad I moved. Its a much better phone and android is much more flexible. When you plug your android phone into your macbook, it mounts as a drive so you can drag and drop.
Mmm. So what would one buy....? I need to phone, message, tether, surf, photograph etc...I need a quality one (some I;ve seen are decidedly low rent)....
 Phone Question no 256 - No FM2R
Do you have any interest in the phone itself, as a toy to play with, or is it just something that you want to function and give you no grief?

To [over] simplify;

If an Apple can do it, it will do it easily and obviously. But you must do it the Apple way, you cannot do it a different way. And if it can't do it easily, then it can't do it at all.

An Android can do most stuff, IMO much. much, more than an Apple, but it does much less of it automatically. You need to configure and understand a lot more, although it will then more often do it your way.

The less interest you have, and the more simple and usual your requirements, then the more likely an Apple is to be your ideal solution.

The less usual, more obscure, more individual or more interest you have, then the more likely it is to be an Android.
 Phone Question no 256 - MD
>> Do you have any interest in the phone itself, as a toy to play with,
>> or is it just something that you want to function and give you no grief?
>>
>> To [over] simplify;
>>
>> If an Apple can do it, it will do it easily and obviously. But you
>> must do it the Apple way, you cannot do it a different way. And if
>> it can't do it easily, then it can't do it at all.
>>
>> An Android can do most stuff, IMO much. much, more than an Apple, but it
>> does much less of it automatically. You need to configure and understand a lot more,
>> although it will then more often do it your way.
>>
>> The less interest you have, and the more simple and usual your requirements, then the
>> more likely an Apple is to be your ideal solution.
>>
>> The less usual, more obscure, more individual or more interest you have, then the more
>> likely it is to be an Android.

Simply the best explanation (to the question) EVER.
>>
Eh?

Surely the overwhelming reason people buy Android phones is that in the main they are cheaper than Apple products.
 Phone Question no 256 - rtj70
I choose not to have an iPhone because of the user interface. I had/have an iPod touch (original model) which was okay when it was used for a limited function but I didn't want that interface for a phone.

Also it took until very recently to get an iPhone with a decent sized screen.

The problem for my next phone will be getting one that's got a screen about 4.7". Everyone seems to want to make them huge when it's a high end device.

My HTC One M7 is still doing okay after 2 years.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Fri 17 Apr 15 at 22:08
>>Surely the overwhelming reason people buy Android phones is that in the main they are
>>cheaper than Apple products.

Uhhh????

I have no idea.

I was discussing which was likely to be the ideal solution, I made no comment upon which/why people choose.

As for the reasons to buy, then you may well be right. Except not about me. Me, I choose the form and function I want, and then work out if I can afford it afterwards - if I can't, then a compromise is in order..
Most people do it the other way of course. Decide how much they want to spendand then buy something within their budget.
Provided you end with something that you want, does the job and that you can afford, then I guess it doesn't matter much which way around.

I prefer to know what I'd have if I could afford it - gives me something to aspire to and work towards.
>> Most people do it the other way of course. Decide how much they want to spendand then buy
>> something within their budget.

So if I could afford £1000 for a new phone does that mean I should ignore all those for less than £1000? And what if the phone that ticks all the boxes for my requirements is say £400?
>> >> Most people do it the other way of course. Decide how much they want
>> to spendand then buy
>> >> something within their budget.
>>
>> So if I could afford £1000 for a new phone does that mean I should
>> ignore all those for less than £1000? And what if the phone that ticks all
>> the boxes for my requirements is say £400?

He said within budget, that means a MAXIMUM of 1000 pounds
But most people with a budget of say £600 are unlikely to buy a £100 Nokia/Microsoft Lumia. More likely an iPhone or a high end Android.

Although what most people do is take out a contract and buy the phone over the 2 years of that contract, paying say £35/month or maybe more. And then in two years doing the same again.

You seem to miss my point. In my experience few people go down the FM2R route of
choosing the form and function they want, and then working out out if I they afford it afterwards, whether they are buying a car or a phone.

Most people including you it would seem set a budget of £600 or £35 a month and see what it will buy them

If their budget is £150 or £15 a month they won't be looking at I phones whatever their form and function.

Price is the major determinant in buying phones as it is virtually everything else.
>> Most people including you it would seem set a budget of £600 or £35 a month and see what it will buy them

I bought my phone for cash and have a SIM only deal. I got the phone I wanted and it cost about £500 in 2013. I intend to keep using it for a while. Why not. It's still working, 4G, etc.
 Phone Question no 256 - Stuartli
>> Why not. It's still working, 4G, etc.>>

That's exactly what I do and use the GiffGaff service. It costs me £12 a month for 500 minutes, unlimited texts and 1GB of data - with so many wi-fi hot spots it's rare I use the 4G mobile data...:-)

Used to be £10 for 250 (later 500) minutes, unlimited texts and unlimited data per month, but too many were abusing the data side so a reasonable limit was reached after the GiffGaff community was given full rein to outline their wishes.
 Phone Question no 256 - Focusless
>> If their budget is £150 or £15 a month they won't be looking at I
>> phones whatever their form and function.

Actually they might be - Talkmobile will do you an iPhone 4s for that:
tinyurl.com/ma8gwou

I set my budget at £7.50 - made it a lot easier :)
>> Mmm. So what would one buy....? I need to phone, message, tether, surf, photograph etc...I
>> need a quality one (some I;ve seen are decidedly low rent)....

Check out the HTC 1 M8. Think you would appreciate it, and the fact the M9 is out now means the M8 is now cheaper.
Thanks all. I do like a little but of a dabble !
 Phone Question no 256 - Bobby
RP, my Xperia SP is due for renewal on May 5th and was going to keep it and go SIM only but have managed to put a nice bevel in it this month** so now looking for a new phone.

I have always been android and am looking at

Sony Z3
HTC M8 / 9
Galaxy 6

All the reviews I have read up to the release of the new M9 and S6 have said that the Sony Xperia Z3 is the best. Havent read any recent reviews since M9 and S6 came out but the Z3 is available on some decent deals - try looking at uswitch for some comparisons.

A big factor for me is the size of the phone - some around just now are almost mini tablet sizes and my phone needs to pass the shirt pocket and "front of the jeans pocket test"

** don't know if its a coincidence but a month or so ago I got a new windscreen phone holder and its only since then that one side of the phone has slightly warped.

>> ** don't know if its a coincidence but a month or so ago I got
>> a new windscreen phone holder and its only since then that one side of the
>> phone has slightly warped.

I'd blame the jeans test, it failed.
 Phone Question no 256 - Runfer D'Hills
You know when there was that thing about iPhones bending when people sat down with them in their pockets? Did you see the size of some of those critters who were complaining? Self fulfilling prophesy.
>> Check out the HTC 1 M8. Think you would appreciate it, and the fact the M9 is out now means
>> the M8 is now cheaper.

The HTC One M9 does not get good reviews. The new HTC One M8s looks interesting. Not available yet.

A lot of the new phones are too big IMO. Apple was wrong to prevent larger phones and now the 6 is too big. And the 6 plus is huge.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Sat 11 Apr 15 at 22:10
The 6 is not that large compared to some phones I've seen
I suppose the logic is that you don't buy a high end smart phone to make calls and send a few texts. You want to be able to view photos at a reasonable resolution and play video text. For that purpose bigger is better.
A phone is for carrying everywhere all the time as a matter of course, and given the "all the time" requirement needs to be easily dextrous. A pad isn't.

Given that a phone needs to be easily transposable and portable and useable to meet those circumstances, a pad less so, there is a kind of natural cutoff point between the two with respect to size shape and weight. That varies a bit between sexes, but I would say the iPhone 6 is at the upper limit of being suitable as a phone, and the iPhone 6 plus is over it.

On the other hand, a smart phone can be too small, the iPhone 4 is at the lowest limit i would accept.
There is another factor. A phone has to be portable and for most men that means sticking it in your pocket. Women have handbags and are thus largely freed from the need for small phones. Women like large phones.
>> There is another factor. A phone has to be portable and for most men that
>> means sticking it in your pocket. Women have handbags and are thus largely freed from
>> the need for small phones. Women like large phones.

In my experience, that is not the case. Most of those I know don't have big phones.
A survey of few friends and aquatinted does not constitute much in the way of proof.

Somebody is buying all these large smart phones. Who do you reckon it is?

>> A survey of few friends and aquatinted does not constitute much in the way of
>> proof.

And your proof is?

>> Somebody is buying all these large smart phones. Who do you reckon it is?

Clearly not the women of my acquaintance, perhaps its a rugged country women of the soil thing?
 Phone Question no 256 - PeterS

>>
>> Somebody is buying all these large smart phones. Who do you reckon it is?
>>

Based on what I see they're bought by people of both sexes, but by those much younger than the average age of a poster on here :p
Proof? Don't have any I just made it up and stated it as a fact. Much the best way really. ;-)

Quite plausible though.
Last edited by: CGNorwich on Mon 13 Apr 15 at 07:45
Which makes the 5 just perfect Zero ? Mine has lived in an Otterbox all its life as it's prone to rough handling potentially (bike, camping etc)....this make it cumbersome - maybe an iWatch is the answer (!) (joke)
>> Which makes the 5 just perfect Zero ? Mine has lived in an Otterbox all
>> its life as it's prone to rough handling potentially (bike, camping etc)....this make it cumbersome

It doesn't need to be that way, you have gone way over the top protection wise and taken the ideal size and weight and made it beyond that. In truth there is no point in spending all that dosh on a superbly engineered and stylish iPhone and then sticking it in a plastic box.
Last edited by: Zero on Sun 12 Apr 15 at 11:39
 Phone Question no 256 - legacylad
I have still not bothered to get a screen protector on my 5S. A friend sent me a case which gives some protection....don't know if that would prevent a tempered glass screen protector bring fitted? I must call in a phone shop when next in civilisation and find out!
>>but I would say the iPhone 6 is at the upper limit of being suitable as a phone, and the iPhone 6 plus is over it.

Agree 100% - I actually thought the iphone 5 screen was bordering on the too small IIRC the full front isn't actually the screen size?
I was comparing sizes with a colleague today...his Samsung S3 is much bigger than my i5...still not sure on the size. A tad too big for me but very clear and good quality images.
One of the annoying features of my Sony Xperia SP phone is that it is locked with a pin code which is the security my employer insists on.

If I have it unlocked and sitting in the car, and I then make a call via the Bluetooth, when the call is finished it automatically locks the phone again (even if it wasn't locked at the beginning of the call).

Has anyone with another type of phone noticed if theirs does the same or is this just a Sony gremlin?
Doesn't seem to bother an iPhone. Mine has a passcode, never had to bother with it on Bluetooth.
Is it set to autolock?
 Phone Question no 256 - Duncan
>> Is it set to autolock?
>>

Can you put a delay on the autolock?
>>Can you put a delay on the autolock?

Yes, but I don;t know if it will help.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Wed 15 Apr 15 at 00:21
>> One of the annoying features of my Sony Xperia SP phone is that it is
>> locked with a pin code which is the security my employer insists on.
>>
>> If I have it unlocked and sitting in the car, and I then make a
>> call via the Bluetooth, when the call is finished it automatically locks the phone again
>> (even if it wasn't locked at the beginning of the call).
>>
>> Has anyone with another type of phone noticed if theirs does the same or is
>> this just a Sony gremlin?

Its a sony gremlin, its to do with the way it uses the proximity sensor (the one that detects the side of your face and ear) and thinking its idle when the other person hangs up.

Only way round it is to have auto lock turned off.
It is set to auto lock 30 mins after the phone goes to sleep ie display switches off.
However as stated above, it locks straightaway after making a Bluetooth phone call.
If you take it off autolock, does it still happen?

I think you cannot avoid this happening with autolock.
security settings by my employer don't allow the autolock to be taken off.
Apparently it is intended behaviour;

talk.sonymobile.com/t5/Xperia-S-SL-acro-S/Sony-Xperia-S-LT26i-locks-during-a-phone-call/td-p/239684

Supposedly if the phone is against your face when the call is terminated, then the phone locks. If the phone is not against your face, then it does not.

No comfort to you I know, but it seems that you're stuck with that behaviour.

Cheers for finding that - interesting reading.

From what I can see, all phones have bugs like this of some sort or another, it just depends which ones affect your particular everyday use of the phone.

I am at that stage, less than one month to upgrade and all the Apple-programmed people around me telling me I need to get an iphone6 constantly.

Have always resisted Apple but one of the differences I feel between Apple and Android is the resolution to problems. So if Apple has a bug with something, it will affect every phone that has that particular feature and will be dealt with quickly due to the hoo-haa that happens (eg aerials on iphone4 ).

However with android it is a stock program that is then used by many different suppliers who are all tweaking it one way or another so a bug on a Sony will not necessarily affect a Samsung running the same system. Perhaps also something to do with the control measures of Apple Apps vs Android apps?

>>Apple-programmed people around me telling me I need to get an iphone6 constantly.

I strongly recommend you get one from somewhere and use it as your only phone for a bit before you commit to a year long upgrade.

There is not really a value or quality difference between Android & Apple, but there is a huge difference in user interface and functionality.

They are so different that generally people strongly prefer one or the other.
Mark that is a remarkable statement. Never thought of it like that.
Remarkable for its value, rather than its worthlessness, I do hope.

>> Have always resisted Apple but one of the differences I feel between Apple and Android
>> is the resolution to problems. So if Apple has a bug with something, it will
>> affect every phone that has that particular feature and will be dealt with quickly due
>> to the hoo-haa that happens (eg aerials on iphone4 ).

Wrong. Apple are probably more prone to design issues than most (because design is their only differential) and most likely to ignore or deny any issues that arise. (Like the iPhone 4 issue)

>>Check out the HTC 1 M8. Think you would appreciate it, and the fact the M9 is out now means the M8 is now cheaper.>>

I have an M8 - it's a superb phone. However, the main camera is nowhere near as good as that on the HTC One X I had previously. Doesn't worry me all that much as I use a DSLR to do serious photography, even though a mobile phone camera can be so much handier at times..:-)
 Phone Question no 256 - Pezzer
"I have an M8 - it's a superb phone. However, the main camera is nowhere near as good as that on the HTC One X I had previously."

ooh interesting I have the One X and have been hunting around for an M8. I didnt realise that the camera wasnt as good as the HOX. I know the reviews had criticised it but I thought that was in comparison to the S5/L3 etc. I like HTC alot but the camera is an important element.
 Phone Question no 256 - Armel Coussine
Tsk. Leave it out you guys. Like a lot of little girls stroking your incomprehensible touchscreens all day long.

OW! Yarooo! I say you chaps, leggo! Ow!
You fat owl!

>>I like HTC alot but the camera is an important element.>>

The HTC One X's front 8Mp camera took great photos and videos even in comparatively poor light and, normally, without even needing flash. The M8 has the Ultra Pixel feature (4Mp) and although interesting, the results are not as good (at least for me) as the One X.

But best to try it for yourself if you can as you may well be happy with it and the "depth sensor" feature.
Still not made up my mind. Colleague in work has a Samsung S5. It's just too big although I do like everything else about it. Looking more like an i6 every day.
 Phone Question no 256 - Pezzer
They do an S5 mini although specs will be a bit lower ?
I have an S5, and it is certainly not small.

I love the usefulness of the display, I can use it one-handed and it goes in my jeans back pocket. All in all, I haven't found the size an issue, and given that I keep all my Kindle books on it, the screen size is a benefit.
>>Still not made up my mind

Ditto with me

Shortlist is Xperia Z3, HTC One M8 or Ayephone 6.

Last two phones have been Xperias so another one won't have the "I have got a new toy to find out about " feeling.

On that basis, if staying with android then HTC M8 seems good and I like the metal casing which seems quite sturdy.

I have always dissed the iphones for lack of flexibility and low memory. However I feel that if I want a phone that feels like a new toy then that might win .

Much will come down to what prices they are available for after 5 May when my upgrade is due - one thing for certain I won't be upgrading direct with O2. They must adopt the same position as the insurance companies who assume you will just stay with them and not look around for other quotes at renewal. There are plenty of places who will do me an O2 deal much cheaper than O2 themselves will do!
>>Still not made up my mind

Ditto with me

Shortlist is Xperia Z3, HTC One M8 or Ayephone 6.

Last two phones have been Xperias so another one won't have the "I have got a new toy to find out about " feeling.

On that basis, if staying with android then HTC M8 seems good and I like the metal casing which seems quite sturdy.

I have always dissed the iphones for lack of flexibility and low memory. However I feel that if I want a phone that feels like a new toy then that might win .

Much will come down to what prices they are available for after 5 May when my upgrade is due - one thing for certain I won't be upgrading direct with O2. They must adopt the same position as the insurance companies who assume you will just stay with them and not look around for other quotes at renewal. There are plenty of places who will do me an O2 deal much cheaper than O2 themselves will do!
Oh come on girls. Most of those apps or whatever they are are of no interest to man or beast.

I'm not getting a damn smartphone until they come with a fold-out Olympic-size swimming pool. Until then my Nokia will do fine.
Last edited by: Armel Coussine on Sun 26 Apr 15 at 18:45
>> Most of those apps or whatever they are are of no interest to man or beast.

How do you know?

And given their proliferation, I suspect that you're confused. Oh, sorry, I mean misinformed.
>> given their proliferation, I suspect that you're confused. Oh, sorry, I mean misinformed.

Anything is possible FMR, even that I am confused.

But I doubt it really. I just can't be bothered with all this girly phone stuff. Looks boring and moronic to me. Doubtless some of it helps some of you to remember which way is up sometimes. But I'm not interested enough to find out. I know which way is up, sort of instinctively. I'm unusually brilliant like that.

Tsk.
Some of the apps are really useful, some of them are fun. And the vast majority represent no interest or value to me.

But they're pretty clever.
>> But they're pretty clever.

Yes, of course, and I don't doubt that some are useful. But they bore me to tears, even the useful or amusing ones. My granddaughters love them though.

Must be an age thing.
Through a series of coincidences, I now have the temporary use of an iphone 5s for the next few weeks to see if I like it.

First impressions are its blinking slippy so have ordered a cover! Don't see the point in making phones skinny and sleek and slippy so that everyone then buys a chunky cover to put on it!

But as a work tool for email / calendar etc it seems to be really good.

Do I need to manually shut down all the apps that are open or do these not drain the battery?
 Phone Question no 256 - PeterS
The iPhone 6 is even slippier...and this is the voice of experience! I've never broken a phone before, and I don't use covers - what's the point buying a phone for its aesthetics then covering it up. I bought an iPhone 6 a couple of weeks ago, and exactly a week later dropped it, completely shattering the screen!
 Phone Question no 256 - VxFan
>> Do I need to manually shut down all the apps that are open

It's good practice to do so now and again. They're running in the background all the time and on an older phone tends to slow it up a bit.
Latest Forum Posts