Non-motoring > Poundland / 99p stores takeover
Thread Author: Manatee Replies: 26

Poundland / 99p stores takeover - Manatee
Is this a potential catastrophe for bargain hunters?

The Competition and Markets Authority thinks so. I am boggle-minded.

The CMA thinks 99p is Poundland's only competitor. Poundland says it competes with everybody, including B&M, Wilko, Home Bargains, and Poundstretcher.

goo.gl/HDeUHn (Telegraph)

I think this deserves a thread of its own. Vx
Last edited by: VxFan on Tue 14 Apr 15 at 12:46
 Poundland / 99p stores takeover - Stuartli
In for a penny, in for a pound...

Poundland does, indeed, compete very successfully with the other shops mentioned as it sells many of the same items for a sum that's often significantly lower, but which I can't quite recall......!!
 Poundland / 99p stores takeover - VxFan
>> as it sells many of the same items for a sum that's often significantly lower

But then again the contents are usually less as well.

eg.

A pack of 5 Kit Kats for a £1 at Poundland.

A pack of 6 Kit Kats for £1.20 at Tesco.

Split the pack up and one individual Kit Kat still costs 20p no matter where you buy it from.
 Poundland / 99p stores takeover - RattleandSmoke
I think they are forgetting Poundworld too, they have over 270 stores in the UK and expanding quickly. For example Manchester city centre has three Poundworld stores within 2 minutes walk of each other :(.

www.poundworldplus.co.uk/index/about-us_360.htm

Poundland / 99p stores takeover - Skip
For example Manchester city centre has three Poundworld stores within 2 minutes

I guess they are seen as a luxury department store in Manchester !
 Poundland / 99p stores takeover - RattleandSmoke
Cheeky git :), they are actually located in the scruffy part of the city centre near the main bus stations.

:-)
 Poundland / 99p stores takeover - Stuartli
Poundland annual sales top £1B:

tinyurl.com/ozsp7lj
 Poundland / 99p stores takeover - henry k
The proposed takeover seemed to go quiet and then dropped out of the news.
Suddenly a few days ago the Surbiton 99p place was full of shop fitters.
Poundland opens tomorrow. It will look a bit less scruffy.
Woolworths, 99p and now Poundland - the changing landmarks on the High street ( of course it is Victoria Road in Surbiton home of the good life ) :-)
 Poundland / 99p stores takeover - legacylad
Two bus stations? Must be plenty of people wanting to leave. Hope they aren't heading East.
>> Two bus stations? Must be plenty of people wanting to leave. Hope they aren't heading
>> East.
>>

Or South !
 Poundland / 99p stores takeover - The Melting Snowman
You have to be a bit careful regarding packet sizes but overall I find the deals good. The missus gets the washing powder there, a colour-compatible powder made by Jeyes. I bought one of those torches you strap to your head - good quality and works well.
>> I bought one of those torches you strap to your head - good quality and works well.

Their phone hands free kits leave a lot to be desired though

www.extremetech.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/hands-free-elastic-band-kit.jpg

Hopefully their torch straps are better quality ;)
 Poundland / 99p stores takeover - Old Navy
>> >> Two bus stations? Must be plenty of people wanting to leave. Hope they aren't
>> heading
>> >> East.
>> >>
>>
>> Or South !
>>

Maybe the airport, Turkey seems to be the destination of choice at the moment. :-)
 Poundland / 99p stores takeover - Zero
given the choice of Manchester City Centre, or Aleppo, I can see the attraction of the latter.
 Poundland / 99p stores takeover - The Melting Snowman
I've not been to Manchester for many many years, not since I was about 12. I wonder if they still have that boat lift device, for lifting barges from one canal to another.
 Poundland / 99p stores takeover - rtj70
>> I wonder if they still have that boat lift device, for lifting barges from one canal to another.

Yes they do. But it's hardly in the city centre is it. It's in Northwich:

canalrivertrust.org.uk/Anderton-boat-lift
 Poundland / 99p stores takeover - Ted

There's a visitor centre and restaurant...you can take a boat ride on the thing.

Falkirk Wheel ? Schmeel !
 Poundland / 99p stores takeover - Old Navy
The Foxton Locks are worth a visit, there is a disused inclined plane boatlift there.

www.goleicestershire.com/outdoors/foxton.aspx

All these boatlifts can be a pleasant day out but none beat the Falkirk Wheel, an impressive bit of kit.

www.thefalkirkwheel.co.uk/

And the nearby Kelpies.

www.thehelix.co.uk/
 Poundland / 99p stores takeover - Crankcase
Both Falkirk Wheel and Kelpies were on the last Great Canal Journeys (Timothy West, Prunella Scales). They went though (round?over?) the wheel and Pru had a bit of a wobble at the height of it. Still, she also had a bit of a wobble about the depth of the previous lock too, poor love. She's not so good these days.

We saw it last night and I expect it's still on the Channel 4 player if interested.

Poundland / 99p stores takeover - Duncan
>> Great Canal Journeys (Timothy West, Prunella Scales).

What a wet pair!

Ok, she can't help it, but he can and should.

Sits back and awaits torrent of abuse.
 Poundland / 99p stores takeover - Manatee
>> The Foxton Locks are worth a visit, there is a disused inclined plane boatlift there.
>>

The locks are indeed worth a gongoozling visit in their own right, if you are interested in industrial history and things mechanical.

The double staircase (two sets of five locks each, in which the top gate of one lock is the bottom gate of the next) with a passing pace in between, and side ponds also in use, make it a complicated job and unless the locks were manned by the CRT in the boating season there would be absolute pandemonium and days of delay. I once waited for over an hour while a boater who wouldn't be advised on its operation tried to figure out why he couldn't get through a simple two lock staircase.

As it is, at Foxton a boat might have to wait an hour or two at busy times but once into the flight you can be whisked though in under an hour, following the instructions of the lock keepers, who also ensure that boats travelling both ways get a turn - there is no passing in the staircases.

Just don't go on a bank holiday!

www.britishwaterways.co.uk/media/documents/foxton-leaflet-v7.pdf

Bit of a digression from Poundland...
 Poundland / 99p stores takeover - Bobby
Re the Kelpies, I totally belonged to the camp of "what a waste of money that could have been spent better elsewhere"
Then last year I did a long cycle run from my house that took me along the canal to the Falkirk Wheel and then up to the Kelpies.
Was a lovely day, reckon there were probably hundreds, maybe thousands of people in the Helix Park and the actual Kelpies themselves were just magnificent!

Have also seen some photos at night of them - stunning.

(I think they missed a trick with that big lake though and no pedalos etc to hire)
The local paper announced Poundland was coming to Witney soon. What the rag didn't mention was that it was replacing the 99p store that is already there. Still it kept the Cameron county snobs happy that there was only one cheap shop in Witney and not two.

Poundland have also recently taken over the 99p stores in Didcot too.
 Poundland / 99p stores takeover - Jacks
>>
>> Poundland have also recently taken over the 99p stores in Didcot too.
>>

No change there then !
 Poundland / 99p stores takeover - smokie
In for a penny... :-)
 Poundland / 99p stores takeover - Harleyman
>> Cheeky git :), they are actually located in the scruffy part of the city centre
>> near the main bus stations.
>>
>>
>>

Dop you mean there's a part of Manchester that isn't scruffy?
Latest Forum Posts