Non-motoring > Two tier pricing in pubs Miscellaneous
Thread Author: legacylad Replies: 21

Two tier pricing in pubs - legacylad
No names, but I know two pubs in the Dales & one in the Lakes who operate just such a system. The two local ones I can walk to, although a several mile round trip walk, but I am not classed as a 'local resident' so do not give them my custom.
OTOH a local drinking establishment gives you a free pint for every six you purchase ( proper ale only) which equates to sub £2.50 a pint. No time limitations either, just retain the till receipt. The more you drink the more you save. Which is splendid man maths!
 Two tier pricing in pubs - Mike Hannon
Nothing new here. When I started my drinking career, aged 14, at the Rock Inn, Waterrow, Wiveliscombe - it's still there - 'proper' scrumpy was 10d a pint or a shilling to strangers. Made my pocket money go a bit further...
 Two tier pricing in pubs - sooty123
OTOH a local drinking establishment gives you a free pint for every six you purchase
>> ( proper ale only) which equates to sub £2.50 a pint. No time limitations either,
>> just retain the till receipt. The more you drink the more you save. Which is
>> splendid man maths!
>>

Quite common for drinks. Not heard of it for booze before, maybe the way forward for local pubs.
 Two tier pricing in pubs - zippy
Not keen on the idea myself. Why should one be charged more just because one is not local?

If the beer can be sold at £2.50 a pint and make a profit then charging an outsider more stinks of profiteering and won't do anything to attract new customers who may be put off returning if they find out they are being charged more!

How would you feel if you popped in to the local ASDA and they charged you £10 extra for your shopping just because you got the shopping on the way home from work, but it wasn't your local and the outcry if all the Dutch for example were charged more for all their purchases in the UK because they are not local!?
 Two tier pricing in pubs - Runfer D'Hills
To be slightly sniffy about it. I'm just a tiny wee bit concerned about any system which might encourage people to drink more than they were originally going to.

If the sixth pint is "free" some might just have it when they otherwise wouldn't and at that level of consumption it's starting to stray into binge level quantities isn't it? Maybe not by Yorkshire standards of course !
 Two tier pricing in pubs - tyrednemotional
>> If the sixth pint is "free" some might just have it when they otherwise wouldn't
>> and at that level of consumption it's starting to stray into binge level quantities isn't
>> it? Maybe not by Yorkshire standards of course !
>>

....he did say there was no time limitation.

Can you see a Yorkshireman spending more than £2.50 a day (week?) ;-)
You have to spend £2.90 a pint upfront, get 6 till receipts, then present them for the free pint. Hence the £2.50 a pint pro rata. It's the same for locals & visitors alike. If visitors are staying in the area for a week, then it encourages return custom. Quite a few customers only drink one pint a night, whereas other guzzlers can easily get their free pint in a single session. Personally, a CC sized loyalty card, to be stamped each time you buy a pint, would be more efficient. Especially if you lose till receipts! I set up just such a system when in retail. Everyone who spends a fiver gets a stamp. Spend £20 get four stamps. Once you collect ten stamps on the card you get a fivers worth of any merchandise, which equates to a 10% discount.
I ended up with quite a few hundred customers on this loyalty scheme, of whom we had their details. We would send out birthday cards to their dogs & cats, and it worked for us!
Runfer, I do not consider 7 pints over an extended period binge drinking. Binge drinking is these youngsters who go out on a Friday ( or is Thursday the new Friday?) with the express intent of getting hammered. Personally, I could easily neck 7 pints, but would be slightly wobbly, so don't! At least not often. Social drinking, with a lunch, over an afternoon period of six hours, visiting different establishments in say Leeds or Kirkby Lonsdale and drinking a max of six or seven pints, is a thoroughly nice way of spending a wet winter afternoon with chums.
Strange, but I never drink at home
 Two tier pricing in pubs - Runfer D'Hills
It's the volume rather than alcohol content I can't cope with I freely admit. Anything north of three pints and I feel like my stomach is about to explode. Never been all that good at drinking to be honest.

If I have too much I stop enjoying it and just want to go to sleep. Famously in our group of friends that has actually happened to me on more than one occasion if I get in a comfortable chair in a pub.

On one of those occasions they stuck daffodils down the collar of my shirt to turn me into a sort of impromptu flower arrangement.
;-)
Me too . I know my limit and stick to it. Not had a hangover for years. Fortunately, I have strong self control and am happy drinking halves when I approach that limit. The last time I was physically ill through excess alcohol was in my teens, with one notable exception after a beer tasting session (six halves) at a brewery in Strasbourg. Strawberry flavoured beer anyone?
 Two tier pricing in pubs - Roger.
One of our local pubs - The Grafton, ( www.graftonbrewing.co.uk/ ) has its own micro brewery producing quite a few varieties of beer. This retails at £2.20 a pint!
Guest ales from other small breweries are also stocked and they seem to be around £2.90 a pint.
Despite its rather scruffy exterior and less than appealing location this is a nice pub, qitha great selection of proper beer, the selection of which changes, roughly, weekly.
 Two tier pricing in pubs - Clk Sec
Mrs CS and I had morning coffee and a bite to eat a Spoons pub last Friday, and I noticed that their price for a pint of Ruddles was £1.95.

Unfortunately, too early in the day for me.
 Two tier pricing in pubs - Mapmaker
>>other guzzlers can easily get their free pint in a single session.

Seriously, seven at once?!

>>Personally, a CC sized loyalty card, to be stamped each time you buy a pint, would be more
>>efficient. Especially if you lose till receipts!

I'm sure it would. More like, they expect you to lose your receipts...
 Two tier pricing in pubs - Slidingpillar
Not at all funny, but I did know someone who was a genuine 10 pints a night man. We once went out on new years eve and when he got home on the 1st January and went to bed, that was the last he saw of that day! Only bloke I knew who was late to an evening shift because he overslept.

Met him a few years later, and he wanted me to collaborate on changing a transposer at a remote TV relay. Not a chance, although I did have the right technical qualifications, the item was the first one I'd seen and it was more than obvious he wanted me to lead on its use. Almost certainly, his base had a test jig for one, and you could use it to gain familiarity and do a set up without risking about 200 peoples TV reception.
Last edited by: Slidingpillar on Wed 22 Apr 15 at 14:35
 Two tier pricing in pubs - Armel Coussine
>> Not at all funny, but I did know someone who was a genuine 10 pints a night man.

I like a puzzling post, and that is one of them Slidingpillar. Is it about the guy drinking more than is good for him, or being a technical wizard and megalomaniac?
 Two tier pricing in pubs - Armel Coussine
A properly run pub that knows you as a regular customer will bung you the occasional free pint. It will also cash cheques until one bounces.
A couple of my locals will give you credit if you have spent all your money, having been taken 'unexpectedly'! Always a free pint on Christmas Day for the locals.
I know a few drinkers who can easily sup 12 pints on a late Sunday afternoon/evening session. A couple of them are owner operators of wagons, big strong chaps, who chose to work saturdays & Sunday's then take the Monday off work.
 Two tier pricing in pubs - Clk Sec
>> Always a free pint on Christmas Day for the locals

Not had a free pint on Christmas day for about 15 years.
 Two tier pricing in pubs - Stuartli
My social club occasionally runs a drinks promotion (all types, but only one type for each individual) whereby you get one free every 10 drinks - you get a card stamped each time you buy a drink so you know when you are due a free one.

As for two-tier pricing in pubs, that's the very long standing lounge versus vaults setup...:-)
 Two tier pricing in pubs - CGNorwich
>> A properly run pub that knows you as a regular customer will bung you the
>> occasional free pint. It will also cash cheques until one bounces.
>>

The righteous minds of innkeepers
Induce them now and then
To crack a bottle with a friend
Or treat unmoneyed men,
But who hath seen the Grocer
Treat housemaids to his teas
Or crack a bottle of fish-sauce
Or stand a man a cheese?

G K Chesterton

Song against Grocers
 Two tier pricing in pubs - Slidingpillar
Really just illustrating there's nothing big or clever in a large fluid intake. He certainly drank too much and I think he did cut down quite a lot.
 Two tier pricing in pubs - mikeyb
Came across it in a pub in Cornwall a couple of weeks back - they had a loyalty scheme that involved you having to visit a couple of times over October / November then being issued with a 10% discount card for the year
Latest Forum Posts