Non-motoring > I feel just a little bit guilty... Miscellaneous
Thread Author: zippy Replies: 7

I feel just a little bit guilty... - zippy
I got a call this morning from an accident helpline.

An electronic voice said that it "knew about my recent accident and if I wanted to get help then I should press 1 on my telephone".

So I pressed 1.

A young man answered and asked for details.

I replied, in my best impression of a frail octogenarian "I had a really bad accident yesterday"

"Oh" replied the young man, "tell me more".

"Well I am a bit slow in the car and couldn't park quickly enough when I really needed to and I cannot control things as well as I used to and my cleaner is refusing to help clean the mess up".

Young man made his excuses and hung up. Oh well.
 I feel just a little bit guilty... - bathtub tom
Like it, but how much did the call cost you when you pressed 1?
They called me, it was their penny!
 I feel just a little bit guilty... - bathtub tom
>> They called me, it was their penny!

I think you'll find that when you respond by pressing a button, you're originating a call to a pre-determined number. That number could be a premium rate call and the sky's the limit on charging.
 I feel just a little bit guilty... - VxFan
>> So I pressed 1.

Oh dear. You're now on a marketing list and will get pestered beyond your wildest dreams.

the simple act of pressing that “1” puts you on a so-called “hot” list of consumers. This list will be sold and resold and resold and you will now continue to get calls from additional scammers

consumerist.com/2013/08/27/please-dont-press-any-buttons-when-you-get-a-scammy-robocall/
>>Oh dear.

Glad it was on my £9.99 emergency Nokia phone then. I'll just pop a new SIM in it if I get inundated.
 I feel just a little bit guilty... - Duncan
>> >> So I pressed 1.
>>
>> Oh dear. You're now on a marketing list and will get pestered beyond your wildest
>> dreams.
>>
>> the simple act of pressing that “1” puts you on a so-called “hot” list of
>> consumers. This list will be sold and resold and resold and you will now continue
>> to get calls from additional scammers

>>
>> consumerist.com/2013/08/27/please-dont-press-any-buttons-when-you-get-a-scammy-robocall/>>

Next thing that happens is you will be discovered somewhere, bound hand and foot, with an apple in your mouth, on your way to the Middle East to be some rich man's plaything.

All because you pressed 1.
 I feel just a little bit guilty... - No FM2R
>>Next thing that happens is you will be discovered somewhere, bound hand and foot, with an apple in your mouth, on your way to the Middle East to be some rich man's plaything.

I have a mental image. I'm not comfortable with it.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Mon 27 Apr 15 at 13:32
Latest Forum Posts