Non-motoring > A400M crashes Miscellaneous
Thread Author: sooty123 Replies: 21

A400M crashes - sooty123
A brand new A400M crashes on flight test. Unknown number of casualties.

news.sky.com/story/1480806/military-plane-crashes-near-seville-spain
 A400M crashes - sooty123
twitter.com/airlivenet/status/597040579780935681/photo/1

another pic. twitter.com/airlivenet/status/597040579780935681/photo/1

Update from sky is 4 dead 2 injured. All Spanish Nationals.
 A400M crashes - Focusless
A400M Wiki page: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Airbus_A400M_Atlas

Basically a Hercules (and similar) replacement, in case I wasn't the only one who didn't know.
Last edited by: Focusless on Sat 9 May 15 at 20:38
 A400M crashes - sooty123
I should have put a link up as perhaps it's a bit esoteric? We've 1 or 2 in service at the moment. They've been grounded as a precaution.

It's replacing the Herc but it's quite a bit bigger, half way between a herc and a C17. The latter is a large cargo a/c.

As above, for those that don't know en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boeing_C-17_Globemaster_III.
 A400M crashes - Focusless
>> I should have put a link up as perhaps it's a bit esoteric?

I just saw 'Airbus' and assumed 'civilian passenger plane'. No pictures of the model in the news report either, which I thought was a bit odd; BBC report was the same, last time I looked anyway.
 A400M crashes - sooty123
>> I just saw 'Airbus' and assumed 'civilian passenger plane'

It's their first serious dabble into the military world, didn't go as well as they thought, but part of that was the problems with the A380.
 A400M crashes - R.P.
One flew into RAF Valley last couple of weeks. Big thing.
 A400M crashes - Bromptonaut
Seen the odd one bumble over here and watched a, presumably French, example on exercise over Biscay coast last summer. Unusual for a prop machine in having swept wings. Also, the props of the inner and outer engines rotate in opposite directions.
 A400M crashes - sooty123
>> One flew into RAF Valley last couple of weeks. Big thing.

It's been hoping around the bazaars, seeing what/if any issues could crop up.
 A400M crashes - R.P.
:-).....Seagulls - one of the places we run the dogs is on the finals for Valley...see a lot of very different bits of kit going in.

Nipping back 70 years, came across this bunker from WW2. It was the control room for a false runway near Valley. The only plane they bagged was a Lysander, I believe from other information was flown from a small airfield at RAF Hermon used for training Special Ops.

www.nettleden.com/photos/684

Some vandal had removed the security grille so I climbed in. Very dry and untouched inside. I mailed Natural Resources Wales the next day and it was fixed a couple of days later.

Last edited by: R.P. on Sat 9 May 15 at 21:35
 A400M crashes - Duncan
RP's link wouldn't click for me.

www.nettleden.com/photos/684
 A400M crashes - Clk Sec
>>RP's link wouldn't click for me.

Seems OK at my end on Chrome, IE and FF.
Last edited by: Clk Sec on Sun 10 May 15 at 08:49
 A400M crashes - R.P.
My fault. Seems there was a Chrome bug with cutting and pasting last night (I've just updated my version) and I manually typed the address in, which is a www one with no http prefix. I assumed the site software didn't recognise it.
 An update - sooty123
www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/engine-problems-led-to-a400m-crash-investigators-confirm-413045/
 An update - Focusless
It said the focus of the inquiry was a theory that files known as "torque calibration parameters" had been accidentally deleted during a software installation process ahead of the plane's first flight.
www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-33078767

Not clear (is it?) what caused that to happen ie. whether human or software error.
 An update - Fursty Ferret
In 99% of serious engine problems the preferred technique is to force the engine to idle power if performance isn't guaranteed.

This, however, IMHO, is a ****-up beyond comprehension in that the ECU computer was unable to detect that key files were missing from its software package.
 An update - Slidingpillar
In the case of aircraft software, you would hope that in the event of a serious problem, a limp home mode was enabled. Even cars these days usually have that!
 An update - Zero
>> In the case of aircraft software, you would hope that in the event of a
>> serious problem, a limp home mode was enabled. Even cars these days usually have that!

Usually the limp home mode is anything but
 An update - WillDeBeest
...whether human or software error.

They're both human errors, although presumably by different humans.
 An update - Zero
>> ...whether human or software error.
>>
>> They're both human errors, although presumably by different humans.

I think the blurry one is saying its not clear if there was an issue with the software package as written, or the instalation process / procedure for the upgrade ( ie some oik missed a step)
 An update - Focusless
>> I think the blurry one is saying its not clear if there was an issue
>> with the software package as written, or the instalation process / procedure for the upgrade
>> ( ie some oik missed a step)

Yeah - if you decide to update your BIOS, there might be a problem with the BIOS updater program (software) or you might turn the power off half way through (human).
 An update - Zero

>> Yeah - if you decide to update your BIOS, there might be a problem with
>> the BIOS updater program (software) or you might turn the power off half way through
>> (human).

Or the new Bios might be a bad 'un.
Latest Forum Posts