Non-motoring > Alcohol intake Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Armel Coussine Replies: 69

Alcohol intake - Armel Coussine
Went to the best of the local pubs with a cousin last night or so to drink beer with another cousin, a big re-haired farmer. The pub is about four miles away in the village of Nutbourne. We all got a round but I only got a half for myself when it was my shout. I can drive safely and invisibly when twice or three times over the limit - please don't argue - but am cautious about losing my licence, so two and a half pints of London Pride are about the lot for a slim fellow like me.

Naturally on getting home I hit the vodka as usual thinking Ah! A proper drink at last! I believe I drink at least twice the recommended daily intake for men every night of the week. I try to avoid the horror of alcohol-free days, although Herself, an abstemious soul, goes on at me sweetly about them. Hangovers are extremely rare and almost always caused by mixing grape and grain. So far so good.

Anyone else here who can admit to being a healthy alcoholic? I seldom touch a drop before 5 in the evening. The cousin in the next house here, who brews his own stuff, also drinks bottled lager and hits it from 10 in the morning. He seems perfectly fit too.
 Alcohol intake - smokie
Not me. I rarely touch spirits or wine in a normal week (but often hit them was too hard when I do) and I mostly only drink once a week with a couple of buddies on a Sunday evening. (There are other "holiday" occasions and weekends away where enormous amount are consumed - for instance a week at Le Mans is imminent.)

I am feeling my alcohol tolerance is much higher. I too think I am sober as a judge after 4 pints in the local, and would certainly consider myself capable of driving (but never have). However SWMBO always notices a slur in my speech and I suspect my reaction time is impaired by the booze. 4 pints used to have me reeling all over the place...
 Alcohol intake - Ambo
At age 20 I spent a lost weekend in hospital. It had been Christmas which, in the Army, used to begin late Autumn and end early Spring. Several decades on, one glass of wine per evening is all I can tolerate and even that I frequently forgo. This is no virtuous reform; alcohol just doesn't appeal much anymore. I reached the same conclusion with tobacco over 40 years ago and abandoned it .
 Alcohol intake - Alanovich
When I used to drink every day, I thought, like you, that hangovers were a rarity. However, now that I only do it at weekends I have realised that I was hungover (even though mostly just slightly) every day, but didn't really notice unless it was a bad one.

This realisation came as a bit of a shock.

I'm barely drinking at all now, feel better for it. But I do have a monster session planned with an old friend this Saturday. I will not drive again until Tuesday.
 Alcohol intake - No FM2R
>>I can drive safely and invisibly when twice or three times over the limit

No you can't and you're a fool to think you can.
 Alcohol intake - Fursty Ferret
>> two and a half pints of London Pride are about the lot for a slim fellow like me.

I can barely stand after two and a half pints.
 Alcohol intake - Gromit
"I can barely stand after two and a half pints"

I'm glad to hear that, given what you do for a living FF :-)
 Alcohol intake - Duncan
>> "I can barely stand after two and a half pints"
>>
>> I'm glad to hear that, given what you do for a living FF :-)
>>

He has a sitting down job, luckily!
>> No you can't and you're a fool to think you can.

Think what you want FMR. You're the fool though. You don't know me and you wouldn't notice anything amiss about my driving when I was over the ridiculously low 80mg limit. Cheeky sod.
Cheek and sanctimony aren't the only dodgy characteristics in your continent of residence FMR. No doubt you saw the story about the Argentinian appeal court judges who halved a nonce's sentence for raping a six-year-old boy, saying that the poor child had been repeatedly raped by his own father and consequently had 'homosexual tendencies'.

The local gays are very angry with the judges to give the devils their due.

I know you're all right really, but aim your sanctimony at a proper target, not at me.
 Alcohol intake - Cliff Pope
>>
>>
>> The local gays are very angry with the judges to give the devils their due.
>>

And the relevance of this outburst to the debate about excessive alcohol consumption in Britain is .... ?
 Alcohol intake - No FM2R
And you are an irresponsible danger to yourself and others.
No I'm not. If I were, I wouldn't have a more or less spotless record after 50 years and countless thousands of urban and rural miles, unless you believe in miracles. You're a sanctimonious ignorant prat. And you obviously missed the bit about how I don't drive over the limit these days. Not that minor details bother the endemically furious and accusing. STFU!
Last edited by: Armel Coussine on Thu 21 May 15 at 15:53
And someone's 103 year old granny still reckons smoking 40 a day like she's done for 90 years can't do any harm, because she's all right, innit? You really do make a spectacle of yourself in these threads AC. You think you're safe because you can't see yourself from outside yourself with a sober perspective when you've been drinking. It alters the perception. Which is the whole point of doing it. And why it is a silly idea to do it and then drive.

Damn. I didn't want to get in to the drink drive discussion again. But there we go. You made me.

Is the legal limit set at two and a half pints of London Pride? I doubt it. In fact, I'd say that is a fair bit over. It's old received wisdom that the limit is two and half pints. Reality is that it's about one pint of usual strength beer like Pride.
Last edited by: Alanović on Thu 21 May 15 at 16:01
>> you can't see yourself from outside yourself with a sober perspective when you've been drinking. It alters the perception. Which is the whole point of doing it. And why it is a silly idea to do it and then drive.

How do you know what I can see and what my perspective is? Do you really imagine I don't know and can't make allowances for 'altered perception'?

It's true we've been here before, a couple of times I think, and it was just as damn boring, stupid and annoying then as it is this time. You think you're making a pleasant and interesting contribution to a forum and then get lynched by people who want to displace their own guilt feelings onto someone else.

What are you all guilty of, mo'fos? It's a safe bet you won't say. Perhaps you don't even know. Prats.
>> Do you
>> really imagine I don't know and can't make allowances for 'altered perception'?

Yes.

>> What are you all guilty of, mo'fos? It's a safe bet you won't say. Perhaps
>> you don't even know. Prats.

Guilty of nothing but my own genius, AC.

;-)
 Alcohol intake - Dog
>>Guilty of nothing but my own genius, AC.

I'll drink to that.!

(*_~)
>> Guilty of nothing but my own genius, AC.

>> ;-)

Heh heh... you're lying though. Like these other geezers and their green-thumb admirers.

:o}
 Alcohol intake - No FM2R
>> Do you really imagine I don't know and can't make allowances for 'altered perception'?

i don't know, but given that your perception includes a belief that you're safe to drive at 2 or 3 times the limit, then you may be better adopting a different and more competent standard.
>> a belief that you're safe to drive at 2 or 3 times the limit,

It isn't a 'belief', it's proper knowledge based on long experience. There's a difference between being competent, as I am, and thinking you're safe because you don't break or stretch any rules. I see people like that on the road every day, and a lot of them are lethal however sober and po-faced they may be.

Round and round and round... do let's stop it. Time for a large one anyway thank goodness.

(No, I won't be going out to threaten everyone's life with wild and wavering driving later on... unless I feel like it of course).

Heh heh...
Last edited by: Armel Coussine on Thu 21 May 15 at 17:10
 Alcohol intake - Observer
"You think you're making a pleasant and interesting contribution to a forum and then get lynched by people..."

An old hand like you knows exactly what the consequences are of posting stuff like this.

You enjoy it, really - otherwise why do it?

And it's a bit feeble to accuse anyone who says you're a prat (which you are) of having guilt feelings which require projection elsewhere.

I'm sure that if I met you I'd think you are a lovely fellow.
>> An old hand like you knows exactly what the consequences are of posting stuff like this.

I suppose I do. Just can't resist wasting time, anything to avoid work. But I don't really enjoy it once it starts. It winds me up and is a waste of effort.

>> it's a bit feeble to accuse anyone who says you're a prat (which you are) of having guilt feelings which require projection elsewhere.

Feeble be damned. I know what I'm talking about here. But I don't expect many to understand. And prat yourself!
" I know what I'm talking about here. But I don't expect many to understand."

Oh, I do, my dear, I do! Only too well!

Green thumb for your post, anyway, for entertainment value.
>> I know what I'm talking about here. But I don't expect many to understand.

I should explain I suppose. 'Projection' is a psychoanalytic term used generally to describe the attribution to others of feelings which are denied or of which the individual is unaware. The feelings are often 'guilt feelings' but may also be feelings of aggression or generalised anxiety, 'existential dread' and so on. Everyone without exception has these. They may be well-founded or purely imaginary.

No one who has any understanding of this stuff 'accuses' people of having such feelings. They just know they are there in others as they are in themselves. That's about the size of it.

Don't take my word for it. My explanation is clumsy, perhaps even misleading. And most especially, don't worry about what are universal phenomena.
Two reasons why this is rubbish, AC:

"No one who has any understanding of this stuff 'accuses' people of having such feelings. They just know they are there in others as they are in themselves."

This is pretty hollow when you accuse others of projecting their feelings; if you need to make such accusations, it looks more like you are the one doing the projecting.

Secondly, this is outdated Freudian stuff.
'Think' what you want Observer. You're obviously ignorant and judging by that post, a bit thick.

It was certainly a mistake on my part to mention any of that here. Asking for it. I never learn. Now shut up. If you can.
Last edited by: Armel Coussine on Fri 22 May 15 at 20:51
No, I'm not going to shut up, not yet.

"You're obviously ignorant and judging by that post, a bit thick." (Love the word "obviously".)

Not much of an argument - justification, reasoning, refutation, whatever - there, then.

At least you said, "Judging by that post..." first, so I'll try to avoid construing it as a personal attack. But perhaps I touched a sensitive spot...

I really don't mind how you judge me, AC. Your presence here provides endless entertainment and you must expect people to deconstruct what you say, especially when you go out on a limb.

As I'm sure I've made clear before, I like you a lot.

Now I'll shut up.
Last edited by: Observer on Fri 22 May 15 at 21:47
>> Now I'll shut up.

That's a very disarming post Observer.

I was asking for trouble by mentioning psychoanalysis. My shrink (back in the day) would have been furious. You're - obviously - a smart guy and nice with it. Sorry I was rude.

Now I'll shut up too.

Last edited by: Armel Coussine on Sat 23 May 15 at 00:23
 Alcohol intake - Cliff Pope

>>
>> I'm sure that if I met you I'd think you are a lovely fellow.
>>

After a few drinks the world seems full of lovely fellows. But one's perceptions are perhaps a bit distorted.
 Alcohol intake - Mike H
Yes, I admit it! I habitually drink half a bottle of wine in the evening, and a couple of whiskies, maybe 3. I know it's too much, so in an attempt to cut down I buy these 250ml small bottles of wine to avoid the "oh, well the bottle's open, let's just have one more glass" scenario. But this is all at home, and I'd never consider driving.

SWMBO, bless her, doesn't mention it very often, luckily - although perhaps it would help to cut down if I did? Certainly, when I go through spells of cutting down, I lose weight, not being the slim fellow that you consider yourself to be.

For me, the biggest problem is that I can't find a soft drink I like. Tonic with lemon isn't so bad, you can kid yourself there is gin in there, but I wouildn't want more than a glass. Water, mineral or otherwise, does nothing for me, in the same way that coke etc. doesn't. Bit of a problem really I don't drink for the buzz, it's the flavour that I like, and there's the problem. Don't even mention the disgusting concoction called alcohol-free beer :-/
I've said this before but it's worth repeating.

In the early seventies I was pulled and breathalysed for going like the clappers in heavy evening traffic over that little bridge and up the road towards Chalk farm, overtaking everything. I'd had four pints of Young's Special and was feeling well sprauncy. They arrested me and put me in a cell because of course I turned the crystals in the breathalyser a quite awful colour.

The BiB were very nice though. They didn't think I had been driving dangerously, just in a way that was very noticeable under the circumstances. They didn't charge me and let me out at about 1am, but breathalysed me again and wouldn't let me take the car because I was still green. I had to take a taxi home and collect the car from some godforsaken distant pound the next day.

I think they were so decent because I was working as a minicabber at the time. Perhaps it wouldn't be like that now that everyone has become so angry and accusing.
 Alcohol intake - madf
I used to drink moderately. Still like a half a bottle of wine at weekend meals.

But my last gin bottle has lasted three months and it's still half full and I don't like volumes of lager.

I guess it's the need for 3 alcohol free days due to exercise .. so I've lost the taste for it.
 Alcohol intake - Focusless
>> I guess it's the need for 3 alcohol free days due to exercise

eh?
 Alcohol intake - CGNorwich
Don't even mention the disgusting concoction called alcohol-free beer :-/

Yes it's pretty horrible. If I want to avoid too much alcohol I tend to drink low alcohol cider. Waitrose do one that's not too bad at all - fairly dry and does taste like cider. Only 1% alcohol so you would need a gallon or so to be over the limit
 Alcohol intake - No FM2R
There's one here called "Cristal Zero".

Its US style lager s***e, but I can detect no taste difference between it and US style lager s***e with alcohol.

So i. The scheme of things, its better than drinking coca cola.
 Alcohol intake - Slidingpillar
Not all, but a substantial amount of US 'beer' fails the Reinheitsgebot big style as some very non beer ingredients are used; lots of rice in several, including Budweiser.

Adopt a Czech name, use it for a rice 'beer', sue the pants off the Czech company who legitimately use it and make a far tastier product. The rights to use the word Budweiser very from country to country as a result - the UK allows both but in some countries, either one is the sole legal user.
Whilst the mass produced US beers are much of a muchness and pretty bland there has been a massive increase int the number of small craft breweries in the USA and Canada. producing distinctive and original beers of all descriptions
>> Whilst the mass produced US beers are much of a muchness and pretty bland there
>> has been a massive increase int the number of small craft breweries in the USA
>> and Canada. producing distinctive and original beers of all descriptions
>>

I'm sure there must good ones but all of them I've tried are overly sweet and undrinkably over-hopped. Like those Brew Dog beers from Scotchland everyone raves about. Bleurgh.
Last edited by: Alanović on Fri 22 May 15 at 12:06
Is "being a healthy alcoholic" a bit like "getting a risk-free sun tan"?
>> Is "being a healthy alcoholic" a bit like "getting a risk-free sun tan"?

Much worse I'm sure, but not as phenomenally boring and pointless.
 Alcohol intake - Pat
There are some things in life that are a risk.

There are some things in life that are enjoyable.

The best things in life are those that are both taking a risk and enjoyable.

The secret is all about getting the balance right.

Pat
Pat, you're adorable. XXX
 Alcohol intake - Pat
I am many things....rebel, antagonistic, sheer b***** awkward but I am understanding too!

Pat

PS: After the alarm went off at 12.30am today I am now pouring a glass of Brouilly to go with my minted lamb steaks, tinned tomatoes and Hash browns. I can't cook either but no-one notices with a good glass of red, Night Night all!
 Alcohol intake - PeterS
I'll have a drink most nights, usually wine of some sort. And I'll also have a drink on the way home from work sometimes. A pint of Pride, occasionally two if we're there for a couple of hours.

However, I made the mistake a little while back of spending the night drinking with a bunch of twenty something's... I definitely can't drink like I used to!! Quality over quantity is order of the day on the whole... However, we're in Santorini this week and quality wine is thin on the ground... Oh well... ;)
 Alcohol intake - R.P.
I do drink, but very little these days, mainly for the taste. I rarely drink on a weekday - may have a couple of bottles of IPA or similar this weekend. I rarely drink if I ride the next day - the margins are narrower on a bike even if you've below any limit.
 Alcohol intake - The Melting Snowman
I gave up spirits many years ago, it got to the point where the missus and I could easily demolish a litre of gin in an evening and not have any effects. At the time I could take public transport to work which probably assisted in this habit.

I don't generally have spirits in the house now unless I have been given a bottle or we are having a party. My usual tipple now is real ale, 6X or Bass, which happens at least once a week with the darts team. We start playing darts at about 7pm but as the evening progresses the emphasis changes from darts to more beer. A good selection of people turn up, some wealthy professional types as well, looking to escape from the house for a few hours. The other week a solicitor and an accountant turned up, after a few drinks they are quite happy mixing with others.

I enjoy a good session on the ale - although my missus makes me sleep in the spare room until the fumes have passed.
I can't drink as much as I once could and escape without a hangover, or getting too drunk to drive (a condition I always recognise whatever the po-faced may think).

The cousins are coming over for a drink in a minute. I've jumped the gun of course and so has the brewing cousin. He's got some Calvados which goes with grape or grain... up to a point.

See you when I come down. Yee-hah!
 Alcohol intake - Kevin
>However, we're in Santorini this week and quality wine is thin on the ground... Oh well... ;)

Robola, a white wine from Cephalonia is quite acceptable if you can get it; and it is well chilled.
Last edited by: Kevin on Thu 21 May 15 at 19:42
You must be looking in the wrong places. Santorini is one of the latest fashionable areas for fine white wine. Even Waitrose has a rather nice example
Last edited by: CGNorwich on Thu 21 May 15 at 20:04
 Alcohol intake - PeterS
Whilst that might well be the case, it's not immediately obvious here on the ground!! Though to be fair, choice of eating location is location/view and menu driven, not wine list. And we have had some superb seafood in restaurants with stunning views. And perfectly chilled, albeit non Greek, white wine :) Plus the odd beer ;)

But I will try harder to explore the local whites, with my newfound knowledge :) Nice to have another reason for trying more wines ;)

Thanks!
Pyrgos village is the place to head for. Bring me back a bottle;-)

www.santowines.gr/en/visit-santowines-winery/santorini-winery-santowines

NO! OMG! CRISIS! - Zero
Middle class crisis looms amid warning of 'global prosecco shortage'

The Zero Mistress is in a state of panic.

www.independent.co.uk/life-style/food-and-drink/prosecco-producer-warns-of-global-shortage-10266602.html
 NO! OMG! CRISIS! - CGNorwich
Oh der, I think I may have exacerbated the problem. Bought two cases of the stuff in Aldi yesterday for a little party we are having.

NO! OMG! CRISIS! - Zero
HOARDER!
 NO! OMG! CRISIS! - CGNorwich
Only hoarding it till next weekend
 NO! OMG! CRISIS! - Robin O'Reliant
I gave up (Fairly heavy) drinking in the early eighties when I just found I didn't enjoy it anymore. I can spend an evening in a pub or a night at a do of one sort or another and have an enjoyable time without touching a drop.

Nothing against those who do, each to their own, but at various works dos over the years staying sober while every one else gets blotto and loose tongued has equipped me with some very useful information for future use.
 NO! OMG! CRISIS! - mikeyb
Always the same- the press run a story and people panic buy!
 NO! OMG! CRISIS! - Armel Coussine
I was jut sitting in the cousin's brewery as he filled bottles, with a spoonful of sugar to promote secondary fermentation, and slapped crown caps on them with a sort of press thing. Only took a sip or two of the 60%, no kidding! Calvados...

Another big glass of gin and I'll be back to the vodka. Then perhaps a late night drive just for the joy of it... (not really).

Saw a big snake in the drive tonight, hope I missed it. Too big for a viper.
I keep thinking about Santorini. You can see from the map it's the remains of a huge volcano which once exploded.

It's thought that when it blew it was the biggest explosion since the world was in its infancy, and the resulting dust cloud caused an ice age.

I've never been in those parts. Must be lovely now that all the clamour has died down.
I tried to add, hope you have a good time there PeterS.

At least you will be out of reach of the pink stripe of death, bad cess to it.

NO! OMG! CRISIS! - WillDeBeest
Fascinating. Now tell us more about these cosmetic treatments for jolly rustics:
...a big re-haired farmer
};---)

If you're four miles from Nutbourne, you're further south (and west) in Sussex than I thought, and in the bit I know. I go through Nutbourne on the way to the parental home.
>> I go through Nutbourne on the way to the parental home.

So we are sort of neighbours WDB. Perhaps we can meet for a drink at the Rising Sun some time.
 NO! OMG! CRISIS! - Manatee
I've promised a friend who lives there that I shall go to the West Chiltington village show on 18 July. I will have to check out this Rising Sun myself. Not enough good pubs left.
>> West Chiltington village show on 18 July. I will have to check out this Rising Sun myself. Not enough good pubs left.

I've always liked the Riser Manatee. Agreeable staff/owners and beer seems well-kept to a non-expert like me.

If I'm around on 18 July perhaps we may coincide there.
 NO! OMG! CRISIS! - WillDeBeest
So we are sort of neighbours...a drink at the Rising Sun...

Ah, perhaps not. Not to the drink (only one?) which I'm sure would be delightful, but to the proximity. Seems there's more than one Nutbourne in Sussex, and I was thinking of the one between Chichester and Emsworth - more PeterS's patch than yours, innit?

On the other hand, if you can give me the secret to the re-hairing of farmers, your Nutbourne could well be worth a special trip.
>> On the other hand, if you can give me the secret to the re-hairing of farmers, your Nutbourne could well be worth a special trip.

Alas, I left out the letter d, a typo. The farmer is red-haired. I'm not a rug fettler or implant trichologist (shudder).

How annoying that there are two or more Nutbournes. We'll be going to Chichester, but much sooner I hope. Nevertheless, if it seems possible when the time comes I may take a look at the Nutbourne you mention. You never know, might fit.
 NO! OMG! CRISIS! - PeterS
Well somewhat late to this thread, but I too was unaware that there was a Nutbourne near Pulborough, though do pass the one on the A259 to Emsworth frequently. We're probably equidistant between the two, at a rough guess...
 Alcohol intake - smokie
Big Brother was watching this thread and has revised estimates now they've looked into ACs drinking patterns. www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-32841273
 Alcohol intake - Slidingpillar
Another news article perpetuating the figures pulled out of thin air. The Government limits on safe consumption are based on nothing more than a guess - no hard science at all. Before they came in, the advice was 4 pints of beer a night was the limit.
 Alcohol intake - Roger.
Thread drift alert - not booze, but fags.

order-order.com/2015/06/01/health-lobbyists-plan-to-spy-on-gays-and-pregnant-women/#_@/OXkLIWaTb335eA
Latest Forum Posts