Non-motoring > Feeling brave? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Crankcase Replies: 45

Feeling brave? - Crankcase
New online calculator - risk of death in the next five years. Apparently more accurate than usual, blah de blah, who knows.

Anyway, the bad news for you is that there is a 98.2% chance I won't die in the next five years. I'm 52 but I have a score of someone aged 48. Which I suppose is nice.

Only a few questions. No, the percentage score at the top as you go isn't the risk increasing, as I first thought, to my horror.

Off you go.

www.ubble.co.uk
 Feeling brave? - CGNorwich
Age 66 with 4.6% risk of dying in next 5 years

Suppose its worth getting the bathroom done then.

Feeling brave? - Robin O'Reliant
As a fully paid up hypochondriac I would not even dream of clicking that link.
Probably not one for you then:

www.death-clock.org/
 Feeling brave? - Duncan
I am too old for ubble.

The death clock says I will die on 16th December 2018.

Hmm.
 Feeling brave? - ....
>>As a fully paid up hypochondriac I would not even dream of clicking that link.

Go for it. I'd take it with a pinch of salt. It reckons I've got a 0.9% chance in the next 5 years and rates me as a 40 year old, I'm 46.

I've been told in the past I have HBP which I took prescribed meds for but I reckon it was down to stress at work. I no longer take the meds and my BP is back under 120/80.
I also have gout which I appear to have under control so get ready for the thread tomorrow of it reappearing. Gout attacks I have narrowed down to beer, particularly p***y weak, lager type beers. I now avoid those. Some people might call it growing up I suppose.
Last edited by: gmac on Thu 4 Jun 15 at 19:14
 Feeling brave? - sooty123
I also have gout which I appear to have under control so get ready for
>> the thread tomorrow of it reappearing. Gout attacks I have narrowed down to beer, particularly
>> p***y weak, lager type beers. I now avoid those.

Sticking to the stronger stuff, good man.
 Feeling brave? - Dog
I'm 62 but my 'Ubble' age is 55 and my 5 year risk of dying is 3.1%

^_^
 Feeling brave? - Armel Coussine
I don't want to know. At 76 I am on borrowed time anyway. So far so good.
 Feeling brave? - ....
Shhh! CGNorwich is collecting this and feeding it back to the actuaries.
Tomorrows Daily Express: We're all living to 110 and retiring far too early. House prices have gone up £5,000 overnight and we'll never see the likes of Princess Diana again.
 Feeling brave? - Focusless
50 / 35, 0.6%.

I'm intrigued to know why the number of cars available to you (2 in my case) is relevant; is it bad (might get killed in one of them) or good (er...)?
The number of cars is a useful indicator of economic status. Unfortunately the poor tend to die young.
Ah that makes sense; thanks.
 Feeling brave? - ....
>> The number of cars is a useful indicator of economic status. Unfortunately the poor tend
>> to die young.
>>
But if you have two cars might you not be inclined to nip the few hundred yards down to the newsagent in the car and pick up a chocolate bar in the process ?
>> The number of cars is a useful indicator of economic status. Unfortunately the poor tend
>> to die young.

Reduced my number of cars from 2 to 1 and aged by 2 years :o
 Feeling brave? - Cliff Pope
>> The number of cars is a useful indicator of economic status.
>>

I can think of more accurate indicators.

I should live for ever - two classic cars, an old Volvo, a spare old Volvo, two half-dismantled old Volvos, half another Triumph in pieces, an old tractor, and a family Corsa which I don't like owning up to.

Obviously much richer than someone with just one Bentley.

But the latest indicator is supposed to be your walking speed. People who dawdle get ill.
Apparently it's much more accurate than blood pressure and scans etc.
Doctors have known this for years. That's why mine is always hovering in his doorway when my name is called - so he can observe my brisk jaunty walk.

People who dawdle don't get ill.

Unfit or ill people tend to dawdle
 Feeling brave? - Old Navy
Don't worry AC, I have been on borrowed time for 30odd years. I don't need a computer game to tell me. Anyway it gave me 11.6% and a year younger, which I am well pleased with if it is anywhere near accurate, but I have my doubts.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Thu 4 Jun 15 at 19:56
 Feeling brave? - swiss tony
Age 46 (I'm 53) , 1.4%

I didn't ask if I ride motorcycles - I guess if it did the result may be different!
I was wondering why push-bikes weren't also taken into account given the relatively high death rate (IIRC - might be wrong). But perhaps the improved fitness cancels that out? Or just not statistically significant at this broad level.
 Feeling brave? - martin aston
48 (actual age 60). 1.7 percent. Oddly no questions about drinking so not too smug!
 Feeling brave? - spamcan61
Actual 53, UbbLE 41, 1% chance. That's OK then. Back to me John Smith's.
Last edited by: spamcan61 on Thu 4 Jun 15 at 22:22
 Feeling brave? - Ted
Actual age 69...Ubble 71. 13.6. Not bad, I thought with heart, diabetes et al.
 Feeling brave? - PeterS
29 (actual age 44) and a 0.4% probability I'll die on the next 5 years. Best crack open another bottle to celebrate ;)
 Feeling brave? - Alastairw
Quite chuffed. Age 38, which is 8 years less than reality. 0.5% chance of death in 5 years.
 Feeling brave? - Roger.
I'm too old to use it!
 Feeling brave? - Zero
Excellent - it took 9 years off my age and I only have a 2% chance of carking it
 Feeling brave? - Duncan
>> Excellent - it took 9 years off my age and I only have a 2% chance of carking it

Not so good for the rest of us though!
 Feeling brave? - Dog
>>Not so good for the rest of us though!

I'm wiv ^this^ Geyser.
 Feeling brave? - henry k
Interesting.
Both SWMBO's and my details are in the Biobank database.
They have just emailed asked re imaging me for the database.
Imaging was started a year ago they are aiming for 100K folks to be scanned.
Not cheap research but IMO a well worth project.
 Feeling brave? - helicopter
Interesting......

Had me as 63 years old with a 6.7 risk ....I am 66

I suppose it fills a bit of time sitting in Gatwick departure lounge contemplating flying into the raging thunderstorms outside.....
>> Both SWMBO's and my details are in the Biobank database.
>> They have just emailed asked re imaging me for the database.
>> Imaging was started a year ago they are aiming for 100K folks to be scanned.

I was Biobanked too - found the 'thank you' email from June 2011. Said they'd reached their target of 500k, which might explain why I haven't heard of 'imaging' if they're only doing 1 in 5. What is it - whole body scan?
 Feeling brave? - Alanovich
0.4%, 28 years. Real age 45. I think they need to ask me a few more questions......
 Feeling brave? - DP
0.4%, 30 years, real age 40. Happy with that considering I smoked like a trooper up until just under 3 years ago. Nothing about weight or alcohol consumption though :)
If life expectancy is increasing, then surely everyone will get a "good" result? We are all younger than our numerical age.
 Feeling brave? - nice but dim
I'm not old enough to take part in the test, still did it though :)
 Feeling brave? - Mike Hannon
53 (I'm 65 in August), 2.6 per cent.
At the moment it feels as though the process of claiming my State retirement pension (at last) from abroad is materially shortening my life...
 Feeling brave? - No FM2R
43 (actually 55) 1.1%
 Feeling brave? - VxFan
My Ubble age is 53 years

My five-year risk of dying is 2.8%
 Feeling brave? - MD
I reckon you lot are lying:-0)

Aged 57. Made me 61. 5.4% of carking it. Don't spose the cancer thing helped. Never smoked though. Now where did I put my Hobgoblin?
 Feeling brave? - Dog
>>Never smoked though.

That's where yoos have gorn wrong b'cos the ex smokers on here have have done remarkably, um, well.
 Feeling brave? - Roger.
>> Now where did I put my Hobgoblin?

Straight down yer neck, I hope!
 Feeling brave? - Mike Hannon
On the strength of what it said earlier, I went out for my customary (brisk) walk, even though it's 34C in the shade here, a new June record for this area apparently. Nearly did for me...
 Feeling brave? - Dog
>>Nearly did for me...

Andrew Marr has a rowing machine for sale, I hear.
 Feeling brave? - Manatee
Ubble 51, actual 62, 2.3% chance of dying in the next 5 years. No questions about weight, alcohol or exercise, or how many vegetables I eat- surprising. Probably no reliable data.
Last edited by: Manatee on Fri 5 Jun 15 at 17:49
Suppose someone's actual age is 60, and the standard tables say for example that he has a life expectancy of 15 years - ie will live to 75.
Now imagine that they bring out some revised tables. Everyone is living longer, and his life expectancy has increased to 20 years, ie he will live to 80.

His effective age is now 55 - he feels like 55, has a life expectancy previously enjoyed by a 55 year old, and all his friends are in the same position.
In fact jast like everyone on C4P, who almost universally and rather smugly report effective ages about 5 years less than their real ages. They would, wouldn't they? We are all living longer.
Last edited by: Cliff Pope on Sun 7 Jun 15 at 11:07
Latest Forum Posts