Non-motoring > Non-food labelling Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Crankcase Replies: 27

Non-food labelling - Crankcase
Anybody know about non-food labelling?

Was in Waitrose on Saturday, and wanted some kitchen drain clearing stuff. As it's literally money down the drain, and the Mr Muscle stuff was about £4, I was drawn to the bottle next to it - Waitrose own drain cleaning stuff, at about half the price.

Obviously I thought I'd check the label to compare the ingredients/strength/dilution or whatever else it might be that makes one more expensive than the other. Often of course in these cases you find they are exactly the same and you've saved some money.

However, the label said "ingredients - look on our website".

I imagine that must be legal, or Mr Waitrose wouldn't do it, but it's not exactly the easiest thing to do (if you actually care) in the aisle surrounded by grannies, and you have no phone signal. And half of Waitrose' demographic wouldn't know a website if it hit them in the eye anyway.

Google for food labelling and it's all very precise - non-food appears to be much less so.

I bought the Waitrose one and it seemed to work, anyway. I imagine it's caustic soda, but who knows? I can't even find Waitrose own drain cleaner via a Google now, and the bottle is not currently in my possession.
 Non-food labelling - Slidingpillar
No idea, but Waitrose own laundry liquid seems to do the job. Fraction of the price of Persil and due to a special offer at about Christmas, I stocked up and still have one bottle left.
 Non-food labelling - Zero
>> No idea, but Waitrose own laundry liquid seems to do the job. Fraction of the
>> price of Persil and due to a special offer at about Christmas, I stocked up
>> and still have one bottle left.

I get real Persil et all, at a fraction of the Waitrose own label price care of Home Bargains.
 Non-food labelling - Manatee
Do they have Home Bargains in Surrey?
>> Do they have Home Bargains in Surrey?

They do now. We have our own special pockets of social depravation you know.

We even have Aldi, Lidl and Asda. The Morrisons is a very up market version tho.
Last edited by: Zero on Mon 8 Jun 15 at 19:44
 Non-food labelling - Old Navy
>> We even have Aldi, Lidl and Asda. The Morrisons is a very up market version
>> tho.
>>

Pity the roads are so congested it takes hours to get to a Waitrose.

>> Pity the roads are so congested it takes hours to get to a Waitrose.

It takes me 7 minutes to walk to a waitrose.
>> It takes me 7 minutes to walk to a waitrose.
>>

Don't they allow cars as old as yours in the car park?
Last edited by: Old Navy on Mon 8 Jun 15 at 21:52
>> >> It takes me 7 minutes to walk to a waitrose.
>> >>
>>
>> Don't they allow cars as old as yours in the car park?

Some of us can still walk.
 Non-food labelling - WillDeBeest
...pockets of social depravation...
Do you have to be both deprived and depraved to live there?
 Non-food labelling - Observer
"I get real Persil et all, at a fraction of the Waitrose own label price care of Home Bargains."

How prosperous middle-class.

Your real, hardened members of that social group will religiously refuse to compromise ("cutting corners", they call it) on the big purchases like houses, cars, holidays and gadgets. But if there's a few pence to be saved on other stuff, they will ruthlessly seek out bargains.

Your Waitrose shopper will also be completely savvy about bargains to be had in Aldi and Lidl and will probably buy a lot of clothes in charity shops.

It's curious psychology, because they don't actually need to save the money, but it makes them feel virtuous (they're not therefore "profligate" and do not "throw money away") and they try to keep one up on their social set, who are all trying to do the same thing. So it's competitive as well.

Well, I find it amusing.
Last edited by: Observer on Mon 8 Jun 15 at 21:13
 Non-food labelling - sooty123
Do people like that really exist? Not having a waitrose within an hour or more drive away, we miss out on things like that ;)
 Non-food labelling - The Melting Snowman
No, sounds complete guff to me.
 Non-food labelling - Dave_
>> How prosperous middle-class.
>> Your real, hardened members of that social group will religiously refuse to compromise ("cutting corners",
>> they call it) on the big purchases like houses, cars, holidays and gadgets. But if there's a few pence to be
>> saved on other stuff, they will ruthlessly seek out bargains.

>> >> No, sounds complete guff to me.

Well I do it. When I'm in the town centre I pick up a few 1.125 litre bottles of bleach in Wilkinsons for 70p each, rather than the 0.7 litre bottles in Sainsburys for the same price.
>> >> How prosperous middle-class.

>> Well I do it. When I'm in the town centre I pick up a few
>> 1.125 litre bottles of bleach in Wilkinsons for 70p each, rather than the 0.7 litre
>> bottles in Sainsburys for the same price.

Sorry Dave, your request to join the middle class club has been blackballed.
>> Sorry Dave, your request to join the middle class club has been blackballed.

Damn, rumbled.

Mind you, there isn't a Waitrose in Melton Mowbray yet. It's only a matter of time.
I am not up myself enough to be middle class so no black ball required, I also buy 5L bottles of catering detergent (WUL) from a trade hardware outlet. Cheaper than any supermarket.
>> I am not up myself enough to be middle class so no black ball required,
>> I also buy 5L bottles of catering detergent (WUL) from a trade hardware outlet.

Aye, takes a lot to cut through that chip fat.
>> Aye, takes a lot to cut through that chip fat.
>>

It's all down to personal standards, at least my house is kept clean.

To save you the effort of replying I am off to bed.
>> at least my house is kept clean.

Talking of which, my slipped disc is making it increasingly difficult to clean floors, toilets and shower trays. My teenager isn't reliable or thorough enough to be a permanent solution. What's the going rate for a cleaner these days?
 Non-food labelling - PeterS
Well there are basically two solutions I think. We use a 'freelance' cleaner at £11 an hour; she uses equipment and cleaning materials we provide. There are also cleaning companies (some of which I think operate under a franchise model) who provide staff, equipment and materials. They're around 50% more, but do ensure you always have a cleaner if booked...and are far more likely to have the appropriate insurance...
Thanks PS.

>> Talking of which, my slipped disc is making it increasingly difficult to clean floors, toilets
>> and shower trays. My teenager isn't reliable or thorough enough to be a permanent solution.
>> What's the going rate for a cleaner these days?

Floors? Long handled mop. Shower Trays? A plant sprayer with bleach solution in it, the shower then rinses it off, Toilets? god gave you a directional pressure sprayer.

No bending down required.
>> >> Aye, takes a lot to cut through that chip fat.
>> >>
>>
>> It's all down to personal standards, at least my house is kept clean.
>>
>> To save you the effort of replying I am off to bed.

Thats it, run away you chicken.
For the sceptics:

Headline: "300 middle class shoppers queue at the opening of a new ALDI in upmarket Cheshire town (and they drove their bargains home in their Aston Martins)" - OK, it's the Mail.
(tinyurl.com/pf4u6gu)

Headline: "Middle classes use charity services far more than Britain's poor" - Independent. (tinyurl.com/l7gns52)

I do it myself. That's how I know. (No, I don't have an Aston Martin.)

>> Headline: "Middle classes use charity services far more than Britain's poor" - Independent. (tinyurl.com/l7gns52)

We have done it, well Mistress Zero has anyway. Picked up a very nice Karen Millen dress and a pair of Jimmy Choo's.

There is charity shops and there are charity shops......
 Non-food labelling - Bromptonaut
The quality of many of Aldi's own brand products is well known.

And if you read beyond the headline you'll find the charities used by the middle classes are Museums, the National Trust and probably the YHA too.
"... the charities used by the middle classes are Museums, the National Trust and probably the YHA too."

Of course.

The same study was reported elsewhere as saying, "Charity shops are the most popular way to benefit from charity" - not linking that to the middle class specifically. (tinyurl.com/ov3uo68)

But clearly, the middle class does use charity shops a lot and is indeed encouraged to by The Middle Class Handbook, which is not entirely tongue-in-cheek. (tinyurl.com/njk9pwu)
Latest Forum Posts