Non-motoring > Guess the watch price... Miscellaneous
Thread Author: rtj70 Replies: 25

Guess the watch price... - rtj70
I was looking in a watch shop window today - curious what the most expensive watch was as I was opposite. Saw some of the usual in the slightly expensive range (up to say £3k) - usual/obvious makes.

Then I spotted the Patek Phillipe ones.... so without cheating, how much do you think this one was for sale at today:

tinyurl.com/pqcdwc6

Obviously the link I've used can be used to find a price - if you enquire.
 Guess the watch price... - Duncan
£30k?
 Guess the watch price... - swiss tony
If you need to ask - you can't afford it....
 Guess the watch price... - WillDeBeest
I reckon Duncan isn't far off. That one has a complicated calendar (maybe even a perpetual one that compensates for short months) but no tourbillon, which is what tends to push them into six digits.
 Guess the watch price... - legacylad
That is one of the ugliest watches I have ever seen...recently away for 6 days I never wore a watch. Just had my phone.
In just under two weeks I shall be away on an extended backpack in a remote area and will have neither watch nor phone.
I have no idea as to its value, but as a wild guess five grand. Some one will pay it.
 Guess the watch price... - Old Navy
A couple of days ago I was reading about the six most expensive watches. This is one of them. I will stick with my £150 Citizen watch. It does not require insurance.

www.huhmagazine.co.uk/7672/the-$1.1-million-roger-dubuis-excalibur-quatuor-watch
 Guess the watch price... - Bromptonaut
Couldn't wear any of these show pieces. Skinny wrists mean anything more than a simple Casio looks absurd.

Used to wear one 24/7 but arrival of the mobile phone, computer clock and digital displays on trains etc mean I stopped bothering after the last, a cheap Timex aimed at the youth market, packed up.

If I try to wear one now sweat rash and or allergic reaction under straps soon have me taking it off.
 Guess the watch price... - Duncan
Last edited by: Duncan on Mon 15 Jun 15 at 08:49
 Guess the watch price... - Armel Coussine
Patek Philippe, Jaeger LeCoultre... the best watches are often very low-key in appearance, like that Patek Philippe one.

Mechanical watches are very beautiful but they are fragile and expensive. I wear a large-dialled plastic Swatch, a girl's watch really, with a grubby blue denim strap on the inside of my wrist. It keeps virtually perfect time. To keep it company I wear six other bangles behind it on the same wrist. They jingle nicely from time to time, although the Help for Heroes rubber band one is quiet and discreet.

Ponce ponce...
Well the price surprised me. I was looking at a few and the price was going up and up. Then spotted this one for £60,450!

No way is a watch worth £60k!
 Guess the watch price...£200K of watches - Falkirk Bairn
www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-33134161

5 obviously going away for a longish time!

Thugs wearing £3,00 watches in a bookies!
 Guess the watch price... - ....
>> No way is a watch worth £60k!
>>
I tried to login earlier, I didn't know the price of that particular watch however I've never seen a Patek Phillipe with a price less than £30k.
There were a few in the region of £20k in the same shop yesterday.
 Guess the watch price... - Manatee
>> No way is a watch worth £60k!

No it isn't. Not even to the person who buys one I suspect, in the sense that it will not satisfy them - though they buy it in the expectation that it will.

It is a truism that people with very large amounts of money will have many paintings, or cars, or watches, or jewels, or whatever it is that their particular enthusiasm is for. Putin has drawers full of watches like the Patek. But if their purchases made them happy, would they not have stopped at the point where they didn't have need for any more?

Related I think to the concept of marginal utility, which is strictly that the more of something one has already consumed/possesses, the lower the perceived value of another one. So if one has limited money, one stops buying them.

But when one has, for practical purposes, unlimited money, one increases one's consumption to try and maintain satisfaction. Money itself has diminished value, and more and more is spent for less and less fulfilment.

The theory probably covers this hypothesis of mine, but I have only got halfway through the economics book I started in 1978.
Last edited by: Manatee on Mon 15 Jun 15 at 19:53
 Guess the watch price... - CGNorwich
A watch is worth around £10 in terms of its utility since you can buy a perfectly usable and accurate device for that sum.
>> A watch is worth around £10 in terms of its utility since you can buy
>> a perfectly usable and accurate device for that sum.

Utility come in many forms, not just what you or I might call practical ones. That includes aesthetic satisfaction, status, fitting in, whatever matters to the purchaser.
Yep, for me that's £10.
>> Yep, for me that's £10.

I thought so.
 Guess the watch price... - No FM2R
When I could afford them I started buying watches, because I like them very much.

After years of £2.99 plastic, digital from the gas station, it was a nice experience buying decent stuff from decent places.

There is definitely a diminishing return though, and once I'd bought the Rolex I particularly wanted, I mostly lost interest in buying more; although I still love the ones I have - my favourite is probably a Rado, not one of the most expensive by any means.
 Guess the watch price... - Kevin
>No way is a watch worth £60k!

The price of watches like that Patek are like most other jewellery - it varies depending upon what metal has been used. £60K gets you that watch in gold, in platinum it will put you around 6 figures.

Add a bracelet (if available) instead of a leather strap and I'd guess that you wouldn't get much change out of £150K.
 Guess the watch price... - Aretas
I have a four year old Pulsar. Cost £39. As long as I wear it at night to keep it at a constant temperature it is accurate to a couple of seconds a month. Tells me the time and the date. Why on earth does anyone want anything else?
 Guess the watch price... - Lygonos
Would rather spend my 100 grand on a R.W.Smith or George Daniels timepiece than a Swiss lump.

www.rwsmithwatches.com/home/
Last edited by: Lygonos on Mon 15 Jun 15 at 22:21
 Guess the watch price... - No FM2R
>>Why on earth does anyone want anything else?

Because they "want".

Isn't that why we work hard, to be able to get what we want, rather than just what we need. At least in those areas which interest us.
Because others have a sense of aesthetic satisfaction, status, and fitting in that comes from blowing a few grand on a watch whereas we're just cheap Aretas :-)
 Guess the watch price... - Haywain
"Why on earth does anyone want anything else?"

I bought a Seiko Quartz for £29 from the PS store at RAF Rheindahlen when we called in to see my BiL on the drive down to Italy in 1979. I've worn the watch ever since then except for when it has been at the menders for 2 new glasses and a new strap - and about 5 new batteries. It still keeps perfect time between 6-monthly 'clock changes'.
 Guess the watch price... - Ted

Not a watch man here. Use an Accurist, big white face with big black numbers. SWM bought it me when we were in Chester. £30. Wasn't too happy with my ' 2 for a fiver from the Sunday bikemeet at Rivington ' watch. They keep going until the strap wears out.

It's been ok...calender which I never set, new battery now and again.

Strange thing...can't wear a watch in bed....don't know why !
Latest Forum Posts