Non-motoring > Climate Change.... Auctions
Thread Author: No FM2R Replies: 17

Climate Change.... - No FM2R
1) Who believes that the climate is changing?

2) Who believes that the change is driven by Man?

3) Who believes that we could do anything about it?

4) Who believes we will do anything about it?

1) I think it is changing
2) I think it is driven by man
3) We can improve, but ultimately our existence with technology conflicts with the best approach for the earth.
4) I think we will prevaricate and fail.

Bear in mind that we are only damaging the earth insofar is it being a suitable habitat for human beings. It'll still be here.

5) Who cares, it will out live me?

I care. A lot.

Isn't it irritating that an authoritative and definitive answer is not available!
Last edited by: No FM2R on Mon 15 Jun 15 at 01:27
 Climate Change.... - Skip
1) Who believes that the climate is changing?

The climate has always been changing

2) Who believes that the change is driven by Man?

Possibly

3) Who believes that we could do anything about it?

Unlikely

4) Who believes we will do anything about it?

Unlikely

5) Who cares, it will out live me?

Being honest I don't.

The one thing that I do know is that imposing "green" taxes on us in this tiny island will make not one bit of difference to it !

Climate Change.... - Old Navy
I agree with Skip.
 Climate Change.... - Duncan
I - more or less - agree with Skip.
 Climate Change.... - Manatee
I agree with Mark, except for the definitive proof bit - all we should need to know is that the less of an impact we make the better the chance that our life support system (weather, population and resources of all kinds) will continue to keep us alive.

Treating that as a matter of opinion is perverse.
 Climate Change.... - Bromptonaut
Pretty much the same place as Mark.

Yes, the climate has always changed but the 'signature' in terms of rate and magnitude of change suggest this one is different. There is always scientific uncertainty but on CC the opponents don't have much in way of published peer reviewed etc work as would be case if there were real debates.

Unless the developing and industrialising parts of the world can leapfrog carbon dependency I don't think there's much we can do - until the carbon runs out.
 Climate Change.... - Cliff Pope
I broadly agree too.

I think it would be much more sensible to plan action to mitigate the likely consequences, rather than fruitlessly messing around with banning plastc bags and putting up toy windmills.

Whatever done it (as Ratty would say) we can't reverse it, and the consequences already built in to changes to date are inevitable.
If sea levels are likely to rise in the next 50 years, then estimate how much, and plan for it.
Which areas are we going to abandon?
Which are worth protecting?
What timescale do we need to shift towns and populations?
What action are we going to take to stop environmental refugees coming here, or are we going to provide new homes for everyone in the world whose land floods?

It's all planable and do-able. The first action is simply to face it.
>> I broadly agree too.
>>
>> I think it would be much more sensible to plan action to mitigate the likely
>> consequences, rather than fruitlessly messing around with banning plastc bags and putting up toy windmills....

>> It's all planable and do-able. The first action is simply to face it.

Makes sense; but also makes sense to work on the likely causes. The hole in the ozone layer has got smaller with the reduction in CFCs etc (better than mitigating that by staying covered up for ever.)

The population is the biggest worry IMO. It's hard to see impact reducing while the population is increasing, or even staying at current levels.
Last edited by: Manatee on Mon 15 Jun 15 at 18:31
>> The population is the biggest worry IMO. It's hard to see impact reducing while the
>> population is increasing, or even staying at current levels.
>>

Most wars are fought for resourses, oil, water, food. Or in the case of the middle East, tribal nutters. When things get scarce we will thin ourselves out.
 Climate Change.... - Haywain
"The population is the biggest worry IMO. It's hard to see impact reducing while the population is increasing, or even staying at current levels."

I absolutely agree but, whenever I say that, CGN comes along and tells me not to worry because the actuaries have worked out that it will be alright. CGN, of course, hails from Norfolk ;-)
 Climate Change.... - Dog
Have a butchers at this when you've got 50 mins to spare: www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKP9ru_G5vk
 Climate Change.... - Dutchie
I would have thought there would have been more replies on this subject.

The majority of scientist are saying that we are causing the change in climate.If we do we better do something about it in our own little way.One of my sons friends was a Italian scientist studying in London.

He told me to be scared the way we are treating our planet.I believe him.
 Climate Change.... - Aretas
I think climate change should have been at the top of the agenda of all candidates at the recent general election. I have no doubt that man will be wiped out much sooner than he would like. I fear for my grandchildren in 50 years time.

It is a global problem but priorities are always ME, NOW, not US, FUTURE. Too much individual want, want want. When a new iPhone is introduced why on earth are there queues outside the shops at midnight? If you have a phone that works why change. (As an aside I had an email yesterday from my phone company asking why I hadn't used my phone in the last month. None of the four tick boxes had a "I just don't use a mobile much" option.)

France's electricity generation is almost 100% nuclear. Ours is about 30% and likely to fall. Criminal irresponsibility.
Market economics is a large part of the problem. It feeds growth and geometrically increasing consumption.

It is also very bad at conserving finite resources - as long as oil can be extracted relatively cheaply, it will be used profligately. The market doesn't know that they aren't making any more and it should be conserved, only that it can be got for twopence a bucketful.
 Climate Change.... - Dutchie
People are easily brainwashed.You will need the latest gadget or without it your live is without meaning.

We all fall for it advertising is clever. I suppose the latest gadgets are nice but I use my phone to talk to people.
>> People are easily brainwashed.You will need the latest gadget or without it your live is
>> without meaning.
>>
>> We all fall for it advertising is clever. I suppose the latest gadgets are nice
>> but I use my phone to talk to people.

I remember when phones were used to convey urgent information, not having conversations!
 Climate Change.... - CGNorwich
New fangled telephones. What's wrong with The electric telegraph.
Nothing will change until we get politicians who can see beyond the next election.

So no chance.
Latest Forum Posts