Non-motoring > Clothes moths Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Armel Coussine Replies: 24

Clothes moths - Armel Coussine
Horrible damn things, almost invisible but very nasty. They are endemic here.

A moth's consciousness, if it can be called that, must be a restricted but sometimes intense thing.

Imagine the intense pleasure of planting horrid pupae in someone's angora-wool pullover before dying a richly-deserved death.
 Clothes moths - smokie
They have massive balls though www.buzzle.com/img/articleImages/496040-50610-22.jpg

"Mothballs and other products containing naphthalene have been banned within the EU since 2008" but fortunately there are ones which do not contain naphthalene.
 Clothes moths - CGNorwich
Sounds odd but bagging up your pullover and putting it in the freezer for a few days will kill off the eggs the larvae of the clothes moth.
 Clothes moths - The Melting Snowman
My missus uses cedar-wood balls and then places my jerseys in those plastic vacuum bags. They are certainly worth the money, I think she got them in Argos.
 Clothes moths - MD
We have just binned, or are the process of binning, very expensive Wool carpets due to moths, which I've touched on here before. If there's enough 'food' for them your Cedarwood balls would be better off up your B.m. they wont work if Mr. Moth has his food supply. Ruddy things.
 Clothes moths - sooty123
Is this a specific to parts of the country problem? Never had this problem or known any one personally with this problem.
 Clothes moths - Bromptonaut
>> Is this a specific to parts of the country problem? Never had this problem or
>> known any one personally with this problem.

Ditto. Vague collection of Parents having an issue with clothes moths in West Riding c 1970 but never been an issue for Me/Mrs B in London>Herts>Northants from 1986 to today.
 Clothes moths - No FM2R
>>Is this a specific to parts of the country problem?

The moths or stuffing cedarwood balls up your bum? Because I believe the second is quite common in the West Country.
They seem to be quite a problem. Wooden flooring here and no wooly jumpers, I prefer cotton.

www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1393334/Moths-invade-Britains-homes-What-stop-them.html
 Clothes moths - MD
Should you care to visit Old Hand us'll show you. Your only input will be to adopt the stance.:-0)
 Clothes moths - Westpig
I've had problems with moth larvae here on Dartmoor.... yet to do the 'per rectum' bit though, is that an age thing?
 Clothes moths - smokie
"the 'per rectum' bit though, is that an age thing?"

Nah that's the prostate exam from the doc.

Start worrying though when you realise he has his hands on your shoulders... :-)
 Clothes moths - Armel Coussine
Recommended way of dealing with them is a genetic trick that makes eggs generate only male moths.

Only the Lords of Creation could come up with something like that, creating generations of bewildered gay insects which can't reproduce. Quite impressive actually. A bit diabolical.
 Clothes moths - Alanovich
>> Imagine the intense pleasure of planting horrid pupae in someone's angora-wool pullover before dying a
>> richly-deserved death.
>>

A glorious and memorable quote, worthy of Withnail himself.

5 stars, AC. 5 stars.
 Clothes moths - Mapmaker
Go to www.pest-expert.com/clothes-moths-18-c.asp

And buy:

Rentokil moth killer cassettes for your wardrobes
Rentokil moth killer strips for your drawers
Pest Expert forumla P super fumer - a killer smoke bomb to let off in each room in the house (beware, people sometimes call the fire brigade if they see this smoke coming out of your house (I do not speak from experience) so don't set them off and then go out)
Formula C spray to spray wool carpets.

It won't cost you as much as a cashmere jumper. Money well spent. Then renew the cassettes and strips every six months.
 Clothes moths - The Melting Snowman
My missus also uses dried lavender, either in a pair of old stockings or socks, or sometimes just a small amount on a saucer in the wardrobe. We have never been pestered by moths since she started doing that about ten years ago, combined with the cedarwood balls to actually place amongst clothing in the drawers. Prevention is always better than cure though, moths like the dark so leaving the wardrobe doors open every now and again helps as does regular laundering. Don't put dirty clothes away as that encourages the pesky creatures. Even if you've only worn an item once, keep it separate from the clean clothes. (all advice from the missus).
 Clothes moths - Stuartli
I see them very, very rarely.

Usually the time when I open my wallet to buy a round.

So it can be moths and moths apart...:-)

Nearly all carpets are home to carpet mites,dust mites or moths and if you have a cat or dog fleas are fairly likely too. All in all pretty unhygienic really and proper cleqning is practically impossible. The British seem to have a unique attachment to fitted carpets. Not really sure why.
 Clothes moths - Westpig
The British seem to have a unique attachment to
>> fitted carpets. Not really sure why.
>>

Cold and wet climate, warmer than bare floors?
 Clothes moths - No FM2R
More comfortable too.

Bedrooms and living room need carpets, IMO.
>> More comfortable too.
>>
>> Bedrooms and living room need carpets, IMO.
>>
Wood is just As warm to the touch as carpet. Can be easily cleaned. Lasts the life of a house. Is no dearer. Look can easily be changed by addition of a few rugs, much more hygienic,looks modern and makes your house more easily saleable.

The advantages of fitted carpet are?
 Clothes moths - No FM2R
>>The advantages of fitted carpet are?

As I said...

"More comfortable too".

I'd rather sit on a carpet than a wooden floor.

Don't care to look modern, not trying to sell the house, the maids clean the carpets pretty often, don't like rugs (trips & slips).

As for hygenic? What are you doing on the floor that either leaves contamination or fears it??

I said nothing about warmth, that tends not to be too much of an issue here.

And above all, I like them.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Thu 18 Jun 15 at 20:21
 Clothes moths - sooty123
I'm much of the same idea, much prefer carpets to wood. We did have it in our last house but fitted a carpet. Noticeably warmer and more comfortable.
Are fitted carpets popular in Chile then?

Not really a Spanish sort of thing which are mainly wood or ceramic tiles in living areas in my experience.

I think fitted carpets became a symbol of prosperity and modernity in the UK in the sixties with the invention of broadloom carpet. Up to then linoleum and a carpet square was the norm for the working class house.

Cyril Lord, Kosset etc. Swirly patterned multi coloured carpets became the norm in the seventies. Then every one turned to plain carpet. A salesman at John Lewis know told me that 90% of all carpet sold is now some shade of cream or beige.

Hard flooring is now probably the most popular wiht people ripping out carpet to expose wooden floors once again.

These things goes in circles

Clothes moths - No FM2R
>>Are fitted carpets popular in Chile then?

Oh very much not. Perhaps in a very modern apartment they are a little more common, but mostly not.

Mostly I think because its pretty normal to leave all the doors open and simply walk in an out of the house / garden. Carpets would get pretty dirty pretty quickly.

Latest Forum Posts