Non-motoring > Allergy Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Roger. Replies: 16

Allergy - Roger.
No - not to work - that's a given: but at my ripe old age I seem to have got - shock, horror; hay-fever for the very first time in my life.
Streaming hooter - rough throat et al.
I suppose Piriton is a remedy, but I have so many drugs floating around in me I'm a bit wary.
 Allergy - No FM2R
And frankly I'm not sure that any of them do any good.

When in the UK I get it badly - congested, puffy eyes, etc. etc. June is typically a write-off. And despite various recommendations for yet another "wonderful, works every time" pill, they never do.

Strangely I don't get it when abroad. Different pollen, I guess.
 Allergy - WillDeBeest
I didn't get it in Chile either, despite arriving at the height of the spring season. Don't assume it's always pollen, though; something in the damp autumn air gets me worse than in May. Mould spores, perhaps, don't know. Fortunately a one-a-day cetirizine hydrochloride sorts me out.
 Allergy - No FM2R
I don't get it anywhere in South America, which is unsurprising. But I don't get it in the US or Southern Europe either which is perhaps more surprising.

In fact, I think the England and Northern France is about it.
 Allergy - Armel Coussine
>> I don't get it anywhere in South America, which is unsurprising. But I don't get it in the US or Southern Europe either which is perhaps more surprising.

>> In fact, I think the England and Northern France is about it.

You sound like the sort of chap who ought to sod off back where he came from. Just for his own good of course.
 Allergy - No FM2R
I was talking to my Mother this morning and saying that the only time I thoroughly do not want to be in the UK for any reason whatsoever is the hayfever period.
 Allergy - Armel Coussine
I have sneezing fits sometimes that last a bit too long. Perhaps even I have allergies.
 Allergy - Kevin
>But I don't get it in the US or Southern Europe either which is perhaps more surprising.

Texas Hill Country in January when the Cedars shed pollen?

tinyurl.com/nmujxdj
 Allergy - CGNorwich

>>
>> Strangely I don't get it when abroad. Different pollen, I guess.
>>

No, it will be the dust mites in the British carpets.
 Allergy - Dog
You could give honey a go, Dodger. But it has to be raw local honey. Also, watch it if you're diabetic because it will raise the ole blood glucose level.
 Allergy - Alanovich
A daily loratadine tablet plus two squirts of beconase up each nostril every morning, March to September. If I forget I'm in pieces.

It's tree pollen with me, can even start in February. On a recent trip to Brittany, I was staying in a gite whose garden was enclosed by 8-foot cherry laurel, which absolutely hummed with busy bees gathering the delicious pollen. I hadn't taken my beconase with me and within a day I was in the greatest discomfort I can remember due to hayfever. Trip to the chemists, and it took two days of double doses to calm it back down. Murder it was. I always forget you can't get medicines in supermarkets there, spent an age wandering the aisles of Super U before the centime dropped.

I had been thinking of planting some screening cherry laurel at home until then - I've gone for rhododendron instead.
 Allergy - Haywain
I had reached the age of 50 before I learned that I was allergic to certain tree pollens. After we had moved into town, it dawned on me that the same sore throat etc occurred in early April every year and, after a few years, I had pinned it down to the Silver Birches in the copse behind the house.

I thought my allergy was restricted to Silver Birch until a couple of years ago when we were in Moscow during the first few days of June. By the second night there, I could hardly breath and I was in a pretty bad way ...... I was never more delighted to get home. The problem was caused by Poplars news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/from_our_own_correspondent/130665.stm

Allergy - Ambo
A very dry summer (1976, I think) brought me allergic rhinitis. I suffered a lot from steaming eyes and nose and sneezing fits for eight years and nothing seemed to help. In for an eye operation, I alerted the anaesthetist to this, as I didn't want to start sneezing mid-op. He said there was no danger but suggested I asked later for a referral to our local general hospital for acupuncture, which he thought might help. (I was surprised to find this in an NHS hospital but it is now well established there.)

I had about ten sessions of rather odd treatment which included needles, then mild electric shocks via these and the insertion of metal studs in my earlobes, which I was to press hard between finger and thumb whenever I thought of it. This all took two weeks and I have had no trouble since.
 Allergy - Roger.
Off topic - no pollens here!

i115.photobucket.com/albums/n297/penfro/Public%20sharing%20album/20084_10153053563815369_2636735521483998388_n_zps1z5vpq2a.jpg

Built on the beach by the Town Council and burnt in a giant bonfire + a firework display, on the night of the summer solstice.
At midnight it's traditional to at least paddle, in the sea.
Draws huge crowds to the great benefit of bar and restaurant owners!
 Allergy - BrianByPass
Consult your doctor or pharmacist to check if this type of treatment is suitable for you:

www.netdoctor.co.uk/ear-nose-and-throat/medicines/beconase-aqueous-nasal-spray.html

"Beclometasone nasal sprays can also be bought over-the-counter from pharmacies, but only for the prevention and treatment of nasal allergies (allergic rhinitis), including hay fever and pet allergies, in adults aged 18 years and over. They can also be bought from general retail outlets such as supermarkets, but these more widely available products are only licensed specifically for the treatment of hay fever (seasonal allergic rhinitis) in adults aged 18 years and over"
".. use two sprays into each nostril twice a day (morning and evening). Once your symptoms are under control you should reduce your dose to one spray in each nostril twice a day. You should always use the lowest dose necessary to relieve your symptoms. .."

It works for me, and fort he last 5 years has eliminated my otherwise non-stop allergies to pet-hair, pollen, and dust-mites. I started with having to take the full dose for the first two months, and now only need to take one spray once a day or every other day. Side effect has been that headaches and colds I used to get have also largely vanished.

The Beconase mentioned above is sold in 100 spray or 180 spray packs. Try the 100 spray pack first and then buy what you need from the cheapest seller at any given time
www.mysupermarket.co.uk/boots-price-comparison/Medicine/Beconase_Hayfever_Nasal_Spray_Doses_100.html
www.mysupermarket.co.uk/boots-price-comparison/Medicine/Beconase_Hayfever_Nasal_Spray_Doses_180.html

You may get your Doctor to prescribe it and if you qualify you may be able to get it free.
 Allergy - CGNorwich
Depends if the allergy symptoms are worse than the side effects I suppose.

tinyurl.com/qx7ltfs
 Allergy - BrianByPass
>> Depends if the allergy symptoms are worse than the side effects I suppose.
>>

Sorry, but I need to point out that the link you gave tinyurl.com/qx7ltfs is for the stronger stuff (100mcg) meant for asthma.

In my case, using the milder formulation that I linked to - which is available without prescription and is specifically for the specified allergies - it has had no side effects apart from the much welcome beneficial ones that I mentioned.

As I said in my first line, seek advice from your Doctor or Pharmacist beforee giving it a try.
Latest Forum Posts