Non-motoring > Washing machine recommendation Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Bobby Replies: 90

Washing machine recommendation - Bobby
Ok it looks like the washing machine needs replaced. Has done us well, probably about 10 or 11 years old so no harm to it.

I think our current model (at work so can't remember what make) was a Which best buy at the time so we just picked that. Anyone still subscribe to Which and know what they recommend nowadays?

A quick glance sees plenty about less than £250, would be looking at 7kg at least but other than that not too fussy.
Current machine has loads of programs of which we use one - the 40 degree wash. Sometimes change the spin time so no need for a machine with new fangled wash systems.

Any recommendations as to model or where to buy from? John Lewis seem to have 2 year guarantees whereas Currys is one year?

Washing machine recommendation - Crankcase
Isn't Amazon the new Which? Usually buy from JL for the warranty, but check the Amazon reviews first just in case.
 Washing machine recommendation - henry k
www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3130577/Washing-machines-cheaper-replace-fix-Manufacturers-accused-making-appliances-costly-complicated-repair.html
 Washing machine recommendation - Ambo
Our BOSCH Exxcel Aquastar is excellent. It has an all-stainless steel interior. Our installer warned against part steel and part plastic models, which include some BOSCH machines, as they tend to leak along the joins.

A friend has had very bad experience with a John Lewis own-brand model.
 Washing machine recommendation - sooty123
We tried one from the local repair shop. 3 years so far for a bosch, basic model. Cost me £120, even got a warranty as he'd refurbished it.
 Washing machine recommendation - Alanovich
As with wine, just choose the second cheapest on the menu.
Last edited by: Alanović on Fri 19 Jun 15 at 12:14
 Washing machine recommendation - Cliff Pope
>> As with wine, just choose the second cheapest on the menu.
>>

That's my method with most things.
An alternative is to buy the most expensive with the biggest discount, eg because the model is being discontinued.
 Washing machine recommendation - CGNorwich
To be honest at £250 they are all more or less the same. With a two year warranty and a bit of luck you get at least 5 or 6 years out of them before needing repair. £50 a year for a washing machine is pretty cheap at the end of the day. We paid £250 6 years ago. We bough a similar machine 6 months ago for £235
 Washing machine recommendation - zippy
Ex loved her Panasonic, used heavily. It is over 5 years old.

JL have a few from £350 with 3 years guarantee.
 Washing machine recommendation - TheManWithNoName
I recently had to replace a dishwasher. I checked out the copies of Which? in my local library, set myself a budget and then picked one they reccommended but I also checked reviews on various websites like Revoo, Amazon, Tesco on-line.
 Washing machine recommendation - VxFan
Not cheap, but the best we've ever had is Miele. Last one we bought came with a 10 yr guarantee.
 Washing machine recommendation - Duncan
Which? lists 37 Best Buy washing machines. The only one under £250 (just) is the LG F12B8QDA at £249.99.
 Washing machine recommendation - Roger.
People tend to sneer at BEKO, but we've had one for 4.5 years now with no troubles at all
XXXXX fingers!

ao.com/beko-washing-machines?cmredirectionvalue=BEKO%20washers
Last edited by: Roger. on Fri 19 Jun 15 at 13:01
 Washing machine recommendation - Dog
>>Not cheap, but the best we've ever had is Miele

Same ere but, when we moved in here 4 years ago we took over their old Beko jobbie. It washes & spins - what's not to like? Tis about 9 years old now but does the job OK, so it can stay until it goes breasts up.
Last edited by: Dog on Fri 19 Jun 15 at 14:04
 Washing machine recommendation - Fullchat
Not a washing machine but we paid a premium for a Siemens fridge freezer about 8 years ago. Basically the thing is falling apart as the plastics are breaking up. I sat down and totted up the price of replacing every piece of broken plastic. It came to £340 and I'm not certain if that included VAT. SWMBO wrote to Siemens who responded something along the lines of "....we find that customers have too great expections of our products ...." They offered 10% off the bill within a limited time as a 'gesture of goodwill'. Big of them.
So paying a premium for a 'premium' brand is not always what it seems.
So a replacement it is and for just over half the price of the 'premium' product a mainstream brand will probably last about the same time.
Last edited by: Fullchat on Fri 19 Jun 15 at 14:26
 Washing machine recommendation - mikeyb
Last machine was a bosh, but it was at the cheaper end of the range. Lasted about 5 years.

Replaced with a JL own brand machine - mainly as it came with a free 5 year warranty. Its a re-badged electrolux. Must be 3 or 4 years old now and happy with it. I leads a hard life in this house, so anything past 5 years is a bonus
 Washing machine recommendation - legacylad
I recommended that the ex buy a Miele. Herself & 3 daughters meant that it was in almost constant use. Bought one with a ten year warranty, having looked on the Miele website for run out models. Not sure if it's still going.
The Miele that is.
 Washing machine recommendation - Bromptonaut
Zanussi have done us fine over last 30 or so years.

A washer/dryer bought in 1987 was a bit flaky but the two plain vanilla washers that followed it have been fine. Doesn't need to work quite so hard now the kids are away but averaging two cycles a day when both were in mid teens.

Washing machine recommendation - helicopter
Bosch recommended by me also......I am currently posting this from somewhere over the alps,the wonders of in flight wifi...
 Washing machine recommendation - Robin O'Reliant
>> Bosch recommended by me also......I am currently posting this from somewhere over the alps,the wonders of in flight wifi...
>>

You're not in the wheel well, are you?
 Washing machine recommendation - The Melting Snowman
We had a Zanussi for many years, eventually it died and wasn't worth fixing. That was back in 2007, we then bought a Bosch Classix and it has been no problem at all. I don't use it, the missus does the laundry but if she was unhappy with it I would know quickly...

We considered another Zanussi due to the good service the old one gave but the Bosch was on special offer at the time, it was a fantastic deal and too good to miss.
 Washing machine recommendation - Old Navy
>> You're not in the wheel well, are you?
>>

He could be posting and driving, watch out for passengers with cameras.
 Washing machine recommendation - Dutchie
Miele supposed to be the best.Expensive but last a long time.If that is what you want.We always had a Hoover Washing machine.Ours is about eight years now still running fine according to the missus.
 Washing machine recommendation - MD
I'm with this geezer as is often said by a near(ish) neighbour!
 Washing machine recommendation - Stuartli
>> Not cheap, but the best we've ever had is Miele. Last one we bought came with a 10 yr guarantee.>>

Same here, but not cheap. My Miele Novamatic W864 (£499.99) hasn't missed a beat in 12 years so far and is built to last at least 20 years.

Remember the old saying: Buy cheap, buy twice..:-)
 Washing machine recommendation - Manatee
>> >> Not cheap, but the best we've ever had is Miele. Last one we bought
>> came with a 10 yr guarantee.>>
>>
>> Same here, but not cheap. My Miele Novamatic W864 (£499.99) hasn't missed a beat in
>> 12 years so far and is built to last at least 20 years.

If you want to do a bit of preventive maintenance, consider replacing the drum dampers.

www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0084204G6

My 14 year old W865 stopped with the rinse light flashing in March. This is a sufficiently common failure at 10 years+ on this model for people to offer a very specific repair service for the PCB. When the dampers are shot, an out of balance load can cause enough banging about to short the surface mounted drum reversing relay on the PCB.

I got my PCB repaired by this bloke (ebay item number).

He was very helpful and advised me to change the dampers. They were knackered. It seems good for another 14 years now.
Miele, John Lewis.

Mended our 14-15 year old one that broke down for the first time recently. £34 for a PCB repair and £12 for 2 new drum dampers.
 Washing machine recommendation - Ted

We always buy our white goods from a local shop, going by their advice. We have an LG washer, a CDA dishwasher and a new White Knight tumble dryer.

All have been first class giving no problems. Using our local indy means they will come round very quickly if anything untoward occurs.

A worthwhile bit of peace-of-mind.
 Washing machine recommendation - Dutchie
Best way Ted you can't beat a good local shop and after service.There are some good services out here you need a bit of luck finding one.
 Washing machine recommendation - TheManWithNoName
Whilst researching, I too read that buying from an independent small retailer offers better service. They're more susceptible to bad reviews and go further to keep customers happy, unlike larger faceless national retailer's who don't know their products
. Saying that, my local didn't have what I wanted so I had to buy online.
 Washing machine recommendation - rtj70
I got a good deal on a Bosch washing machine last year - ours had just stopped so a quick replacement was handy.

I found it on Euronics so was supplied by a local independent shop. I probably could have got one slightly cheaper from someone like Appliances Online but I got free delivery the next day. And they'd have taken the old one away if I'd wanted them too but I'd already got rid of it by the time they got there (scrap metal merchants.... so they carried it out of the cellar for me).

The Bosch model we got didn't show up in many other places so might have been a 'special'. Think it is a Maxx something or other in terms of model.
A guide to Maxx level Bosch washing machines:

www.which.co.uk/reviews/washing-machines/article/advice/bosch-maxx-washing-machine-guide

Euronics is, in fact, Europe and the UK's largest buyer and supplier of a range of domestic appliances, TVs and similar items, which enables independent retail audio/visual/appliance outlets to match and often beat the big high street chains on prices and after sales service.

www.euronics.co.uk/service-support/about-euronics

As I understand it, AO has been losing money for a while. Latest figures:

www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-32970666
Thanks for the link Stuartli.

Our Bosch Maxx has a load capacity of 6kg (fine for us), max spin of 1400pm (variable), time delay start, time remaining LCD display etc. For the price (£250 I think) it is good. It's also rated as A+++. A bit like emissions on cars and not being able to achieve in the real world. One eco programme is over 4 hours!
Last edited by: rtj70 on Sat 20 Jun 15 at 22:35
 Washing machine recommendation - Slidingpillar
When I bought a new washing machine earlier this year, although the shop near brother's shop was not as cheap in terms of headline price, a named delivery slot was free, so was installation and disposal of old machine. All extras with AO and it was cheaper overall to shop local!
Deleted, wrong thread.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Sun 21 Jun 15 at 08:54
 Washing machine recommendation - Steve
I don't often post, but this is a chance to vent my spleen.
About three years ago I bought a Whirlpool machine, and as I live alone I was influenced by the short 'quick wash' cycle for just a couple of items. It's the worst washing machine I've ever had.
I'ts very noisy at all times with different whines and tones, and it's not the usual background hum.

I'm not sure if it has any concrete to damp vibrations, but the thing will not spin a couple of items. It will sit there for an hour trying to balance the load with short back and forward drum turns and then gives up. Sometimes it'll start spinning and sounds OK with no vibrations, but then stops and tries again. Clothes invariably come out wringing wet. OK with a full load, but I bought it for occasional small loads as well.

When spinning a full load, it sounds like a steam engine chugging uphill, I think it's the pump scourging, but I've never heard another machine make the same noise.
I bough it locally, and the shop engineer wasn't particularly helpful, just "it's the motor and the pump, and the drum sensor, and the way I do my washing" etc.

In fairness, apart from the general noise, it never vibrates (because it can't) and has yet to break down - but I sometimes think I've only got half a machine with no concrete damping or silencing.
>>In fairness, apart from the general noise, it never vibrates (because it can't) and has yet to break down - but I sometimes think I've only got half a machine with no concrete damping or silencing. >>

A Miele washing machine has a proper cast iron weight, not a lump of old concrete..:-)

Worth a read:

www.washerhelp.co.uk/reviews/miele-w864-review.html (my model)
Last edited by: Stuartli on Sun 21 Jun 15 at 10:44
The problem is of course that. Miele washing machine with a two year guarantee costs over. £1,000 - four time the cost of an equivalent Hotpoint or Bosche. Will it last four time as long? Who knows?

I prefer the cheapo model and junk it after 5 years plan. Not very environmentally sound I know.

>> I prefer the cheapo model and junk it after 5 years plan. Not very environmentally
>> sound I know.
>>
>>

Do you get more than 5 years out of the cheaper ones?
Six and a half for the last one and eight believe around eight for its predecessor. Lime scale does them in in the end round here. Hardest water in the country.
That's not too bad. Yeah i remember the water, an odd taste. Many of the Scots couldn't drink tap water it was that bad taste wise. They all bought bottled water. I remember we looked at some new builds they all had water filters fitted. I think we got through quite a few kettles as well. I didn't mind the taste too much never really got used to it though.
Maybe you need to be born and bred in the swamplands to not notice the taste. :)
>>Hardest water in the country.

Um, www.bristan.com/watermap
Yes 352.75 Calcium Carbonate parts per million which is "Very Hard" Descale the kettle every couple of months

Your water suppliers website will have a postcode search which will tell you yours.
Ya know, I've often wondered if a lifetime of drinking 'hard' water would have any effect on ones health.

My brother lived in Maidstone, and his kettle used to get badly 'furred up' ... he had Lewy Bodies Disease, although he actually died from a ruptured aortic aneurism (smoker!)

The water here is very soft (bore hole) with a ph. of around 5.5 which I have to 'correct' up to around ph. 7
I've lived in a hard water area all my life (a lot of the water originally came from limestone reservoirs around 600ft down) and I've reached a very good age so far...:-)

The taste too was/is far superior to soft water but, in recent years, kettles and other appliances have not been furring up at anything like the same extent as the water supply is now blended with water from Wales and Cheshire (River Dee). I haven't had to remove limestone from a kettle for several years now, yet at one time it was a once a week or 10 days requirement.
Last edited by: Stuartli on Sun 21 Jun 15 at 18:10
I would hazard a guess that bro's kettle became calcified from, um, calcium.

I use a mix of 75% calcium carbonate with 25% magnesium oxide salt to raise the ph. of my bore hole water from 5.5 (acid) to around 7-7.5 (neutral) and my kettle is as clean as a whistle.

My favourite water is bottled Buxton, although I had some Scottish stuff last week which was just as nice.
>> I had some Scottish stuff last week which was just as nice.
>>

It could have been tap water, no different to bottled stuff up here.
 Washing machine recommendation - Armel Coussine
>> I've lived in a hard water area all my life (a lot of the water originally came from limestone reservoirs around 600ft down) and I've reached a very good age so far...:-)

>> The taste too was/is far superior to soft water

I've lived in lots of areas, but I always thought hard water tasted better than soft.
>>It could have been tap water, no different to bottled stuff up here.

Um, the public water supply would be chlorinated whereas the Scottish mineral water I had wasn't.

>>I've lived in lots of areas, but I always thought hard water tasted better than soft.

Due no doubt to the dissolved solids such as calcium and magnesium ions.
 Washing machine recommendation - Zero
>>
>> >> I prefer the cheapo model and junk it after 5 years plan. Not very
>> environmentally
>> >> sound I know.
>> >>
>> >>
>>
>> Do you get more than 5 years out of the cheaper ones?

Indeed you do. had three "cheap" bosch ones in 30 years*. And two cheap tumble dryers in 20.

*Total cost about 1000 quid.
> Indeed you do. had three "cheap" bosch ones in 30 years*. And two cheap tumble
>> dryers in 20.
>>
>> *Total cost about 1000 quid.
>>

Indeed that's what We've got. Hopefully ours will last that long.
 Washing machine recommendation - Falkirk Bairn
www.costco.co.uk/view/product/uk_catalog/cos_10,cos_10.5,cos_2.4.1/188098

Costco delivered to the door for the price of £200
Not a member? They add 5% making £210

In the past the washer has always packed in at an inopertune time - hence bought the current offer from Makro/Costco etc and managed 10+ years with no hassle - first time it acts up we replace the machine as repairs tend to be £100+ and a new machine <£200.
And the end of life value is better as well. There are still 'any old iron' merchants about.
>> I'ts very noisy at all times with different whines and tones, and it's not the
>> usual background hum.
>>
>>
>> In fairness, apart from the general noise, it never vibrates (because it can't) and has
>> yet to break down - but I sometimes think I've only got half a machine
>> with no concrete damping or silencing.
>>

I assume the transit bolts which lock the drum have been removed.
Hi Old Navy, How can I check that? As I said it half works albeit noisily.
 Washing machine recommendation - Bromptonaut
ON will probably be along shortly with a fuller reply but I'd start with the instruction manual.

There's a You Tube vid for another make here:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WRmex-oJpI

Won't be exactly like yours but most work on same principle.
As Bromp says, you really need the instructions to identify which bolts to remove. Having said that they are usually the biggest ones on the back of the machine, one or two each side.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Sun 21 Jun 15 at 17:48
Cheers for all the replies / advice etc.

Stripped our machine on Friday night to get at the waste filter and removed about 60p worth of change, a label and a scrunchie hair thingy.

However although machine is sounding healthier now it just isn't working properly. The small liquid capsules aren't dissolving properly and the clothes are very patchy as if they just physically aren't getting wet enough/

So I reckon either not enough water is getting in and / or the water isn't getting too high enough a temperature.

Its a Hotpoint and is 12 years old, I am not sure how easy a fix it is to solve. Easy enough to phone a guy out and say there is no power, or drum not turning or whatever but to say the machine is doing everything it should other than actually cleaning it , I reckon would lead me to huge bills along the lines of "we will replace this bit first....." etc etc

Now have my dad's Which collection to plough through!
 Washing machine recommendation - No FM2R
We all have brands that have worked for us, or indeed brands that have not.

But in these of outsourced manufacturing do we really think that brands are a reasonable distinction between machines?
>>Stripped our machine on Friday night to get at the waste filter and removed about 60p worth of change, a label and a scrunchie hair thingy.>>

Blooming 'eck...:-) Getting at the filter in my Miele Novotronic W864 is a 30-45 seconds job and that includes screwing out the filter, letting the machine drain into a washing up bowl, checking for foreign objects, washing it out if necessary and putting the filter back in...:-)

But can understand the frustration if you haven't still got to the root of the problem.

My best mate used to own an independent audio/visual/appliances retail outlet (he was a member of the Euronics Group) and he always said that people still wanted to pay the same price for a washing machine or other appliance as they had 10 years or more earlier.

That meant the manufacturers had to supply products to meet certain price points and resulted in the cost cutting and, eventually, built-in obsolescence that has become so familiar in so many areas.

>>That meant the manufacturers had to supply products to meet certain price points and resulted in the cost cutting and, eventually, built-in obsolescence that has become so familiar in so many areas.

I'm sure that applies to everything.

Productivity has dramatically reduced costs in real terms. A colour TV cost around £300 for decades, and in fact is less than that now for a smallish set comparable with the ones we watched in the 1970s.

I doubt if reliability has got materially worse even in autowashers. It was tending to improve while I was responsible for an extended warranty scheme some time ago. Automation means quality control is built in and while materials and designs might be cheapened the consistency is very good.

Have you ordered the dampers for your Miele yet:) An advantage you didn't mention is that it is very easy to work on. Remove the three bolts around the drum, take out two screws in the sides of the top cover and remove it, remove the soap drawer and the three screws under that, open the filter door and unclip the pipe from the door, then you can swing the whole front open.

You might need to pull off the rubber pipe to the top right of the front to swing it fully open.

If you need to remove the PCB just disconnect it and unclip it (it might be secured by a screw or two - mine wasn't)

Prop the machine up at the front on a couple of bricks and you are looking at the commutator end of the motor. Don't bother checking the brushes if it's only 10 years old - my 14 year old ones were only half worn out.

You will see the dampers under the drum. All you need to change them is a socket set.
>>Have you ordered the dampers for your Miele yet:)>>

No, but doubt if they would be required in my lifetime thank you...:-) The Miele is 12 years old and continues to run as smoothly and efficiently as when first acquired.

If any such repair was necessary then, of course, my best mate is best equipped to do such work as he had 45 years' experience in the TV, audio and appliances repair and retail outlet ownership...:-)
2 years to go then...hope you are still around when the drum stops with the rinse light flashing:)
>> 2 years to go then...hope you are still around when the drum stops with the rinse light flashing:) >>

I'll take my chance...:-) I have 100 per cent faith in Miele quality....!
Am sure I had posted an update to this during the week but if I did, it has disappeared!

Anyway decided to give it one last try but wash was taking far too long compared to the digital timer countdown. And clothes weren't washing properly still.

So decided to order one online but before I could do this, a chance conversation with my mate told me he was getting rid of his machine for some integrated type thing. Its a basic Bosch, dials only, no digital panels etc. He dropped it off to me tonight.

So I go under the utility sink to disconnect the existing machine and realise that the valve for the machine water inlet was just barely on and no more. Don't know if it has always been like this but if not, that could explain why there was slow fill and machine was taking too long, not washing etc.

So I have opened valve out and put another wash on..... fingers crossed!
>> So I go under the utility sink to disconnect the existing machine and realise that
>> the valve for the machine water inlet was just barely on and no more.

You need some submarine training, be it air, water, hydraulics, or electrical systems always double check your line ups. Then if it doesn't work as expected check again. Operator error is often the problem. :-)
Last edited by: Old Navy on Sat 27 Jun 15 at 07:56
Ok opening the valve didn't make a difference so my mate offered me his washing machine as he was redoing his kitchen so swapped them round to discover

a. the valve under the sink won't fully turn off so had the pleasure of a good soaking as I unscrewed from one machine and put into the other.

Why didn't I just switch the main stopcock valve off you ask?

b. when I went to the stopcock under the kitchen sink I discovered that the Charlatans who installed the kitchen after our house fire removed the handle / turner from the stopcock valve as it was going to mean modifying the plumbing or the base shelf of the kitchen cupboard!

Not surprisingly this is now moving up the priority list to get sorted out before the time happens when I really need it!
You could have course just used an adjustable spanner in lieu of the turn-wheel.
 Washing machine recommendation - Slidingpillar
Often have thingys to perform the function of penny washers too.
There should be a small filter in the supply hose connection, this may be restricting the amount of water it is getting. Or it could be the supply solenoid is not opening fully.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Sun 21 Jun 15 at 20:42
>> There should be a small filter in the supply hose connection, this may be restricting
>> the amount of water it is getting. Or it could be the supply solenoid is
>> not opening fully.
>>

Usually a small white perforated bit of plastic a push-fit inside the solenoid barrel visible when you unscrew the hose connection. There's a kind of cross-head you need to grip with pliars.
Ours were always blocking because of small grains of grit in the unfiltered well water. I just leave them out now.

>> Ours were always blocking because of small grains of grit in the unfiltered well water.
>> I just leave them out now.

So if it's necessary, remove it:)
 Washing machine recommendation - henry k
My AEG needed servicing this week.
Brushes shot and a switch replaced.
Also found the pump leaking again after about four years use from the last time it was replaced.
I could have bought a new machine instead of the repair costs BUT I do not want the hassle of SWMBO, with her memory problems trying to operate a new/ strange machine.
My last report on the pump.
www.car4play.com/forum/post/index.htm?v=e&t=5926&m=131784

With spares becoming a little more difficult.The pump needs ordering and posting from up north.
I guess I will have to do some in depth research on a simple/similar machine ready for the day when spares no longer exist.
 Washing machine recommendation - Zero

>> I could have bought a new machine instead of the repair costs BUT I do
>> not want the hassle of SWMBO, with her memory problems trying to operate a new/
>> strange machine.

>> I guess I will have to do some in depth research on a simple/similar machine
>> ready for the day when spares no longer exist.

Same problem when we moved my mother last year. I even took her into the shop to look at the controls, but you could see her eyes glaze over.
 Washing machine recommendation - The Melting Snowman
Some years ago a friend suggested the ISE company, if one wanted a good quality machine that is easily and cheaply repaired. There was no local agent though and that worried us so in the end we went for a brand everyone knows about.
Most places know the common faults and can get parts for and fix popular cars. It's the oddball ones that cause sucked teeth and scratched heads, same with most machines.
 Washing machine recommendation - Roger.
We, when we lived in Pembrokeshire, had a Bosch washer/drier. It failed quite a lot and the nearest service agent was in Cardiff - 90 miles away!
When the warranty was up we slung it and got a cheap Hotpoint.

>>
>> So if it's necessary, remove it:)
>>

But the grit is harmless. Washing machines don't fail because their water pump impellers have been eroded by gritty water - they fail because the motor brushes have worn out or the programmer has broken down.
>>
>> >>
>> >> So if it's necessary, remove it:)
>> >>
>>
>> But the grit is harmless. Washing machines don't fail because their water pump impellers have
>> been eroded by gritty water - they fail because the motor brushes have worn out
>> or the programmer has broken down.

I'm sure you're right; I assume it's to keep the grit out of the clothes.
Yoov made me wonder about my machine now. It's been here since about 2006, we took it over when we moved here 4 years ago and, our water comes straight out of the ground (bore hole)

I need to pull the critter out anyway because it's absolutely disgusting behind there, so I might check to see if that little filter is there. But then again I might not.

If ait aint broke etcc. etc. etc..
Offers on at John Lewis:

www.johnlewis.com/browse/clearance/electrical-offers/laundry-offers/_/N-5n2n?intcmp=hp_sp_01_eht_wm_x240615
We have a Bosch dishwasher that has ground to a halt with a lot of dirty water in it.

We've tried baling the water out and unscrewing endless disgusting filters, and filters within filters, full of vile slimy gunge, but I don't think we found them all. It still won't evacuate the water.

Herself has called for a bloke to come and deal with it. Bound to cost 50 quid at least, probably more, even if he fixes it in five minutes.

(Sucks teeth... 'I can do you the latest model for £199 plus VAT if you like madam... less trouble in the long run burble burble...')
Last edited by: Armel Coussine on Fri 26 Jun 15 at 17:55
My daughter's Neff which I believe is a Bosch did similar. It has a float valve in the bottom - if there is too much water in the sump it stops the machine.

I hauled the machine out, tipped out the water, put it back and it worked.

What I didn't know then, and what the washer repair man showed me on another occasion, is that I could have left it where it was - you can operate the float switch and start the pump from inside the machine just by lifting or depressing (I can't remember which) a sort of large button on the floor of the machine. Have a look for it.
 Washing machine recommendation - Clk Sec
We have a Siemens washing machine that came with our last kitchen refit and has been trouble free for over six years now. We usually fork out for just one repair and buy a replacement thereafter.

A Siemans dishwasher, installed at the same time, has performed equally well.
Last edited by: Clk Sec on Fri 26 Jun 15 at 19:19
>>We have a Siemens washing machine >>

If anyone would like to know who makes what and who owns which brands, you can check them out at:

www.ukwhitegoods.co.uk/help/about-the-appliance-industry/manufacturer-information.html
 Washing machine recommendation - WillDeBeest
There's a reason the float switch is operating, though, and it's usually a blockage caused by solidified fats. Ours did this the other weekend, and after some faffing and failing to get covers off, I got it going again by running it on its hottest (70°C) program, empty but for 75g of washing soda (sodium carbonate) crystals. I put the crystals in a nylon sieve in the lower rack, so that they didn't get wet until the machine had heated the water.

Best to get the residual water out first, so you get the full effect of the hot water. You can usually do this by tilting the machine sideways at about 45°. You'll need some towels on the floor before you do.

One run was enough to get the machine to drain again but I suspected the gunk hadn't all gone, so I gave it another run to clear as much as possible. And I'm using the 70°C program more than before, in the hope of keeping from building up again.
 Washing machine recommendation - Kevin
>Bound to cost 50 quid at least, probably more, even if he fixes it in five minutes.

>(Sucks teeth... 'I can do you the latest model for £199 plus VAT if you like madam...

Keep sucking the teeth AC if it needs parts. The heating element in our last Bosch dishwasher failed, tripping the breaker when it started to heat the water.

Couple of quotes I got to repair were £100 for replacement element and £100 to fit it.

It got fixed with a new one.

If you do decide to buy a new one, a word of caution. The basket design on the newer Bosch dishwashers is carp, keep the old ones and see if they'll fit.
 Washing machine recommendation - Alanovich
Don't you disgusting lot realise you're supposed to wash the dishes before putting them in the dishwasher?

Tchah.
 Washing machine recommendation - Clk Sec
Like wot my wife does...
 Washing machine recommendation - WillDeBeest
If they've had salmon or mackerel on them you might as well just wash them by hand. Put them straight in the machine and the smell will take two more washes to get off everything else.
>> Herself has called for a bloke to come and deal with it.

The bloke's coming today 'between 11 and 3', and Herself is going to be out. Hell's bells! I normally get up at 11. What a pain.
Latest Forum Posts