Non-motoring > Unusual planes, trains but no automobiles - Vol 18   [Read only]
Thread Author: VxFan Replies: 107

Unusual planes, trains but no automobiles - Vol 18 - VxFan

***** This thread is now closed, please CLICK HERE to go to Volume 19 *****

Volume 18 - NO CARS :-)

PLEASE NOTE:-

To try and maintain some kind of logical order of discussion, if you start a new subject then reply to this post and remember to change the default subject header.

Last edited by: VxFan on Mon 31 Aug 15 at 01:36

Going up quickly.... - No FM2R
Men with mustaches showing the proper way to go up quickly.

youtu.be/rfVjgn-mY7k
 Going up quickly.... - zippy
>>Men with mustaches showing the proper way to go up quickly.

The Lightning, Vulcan, Victor and Valiant, my favorite aircraft from a time when we were real leaders in the field.

Good grief! - Roger.
www.telegraph.co.uk/news/aviation/11685531/Plane-stowaways-body-found-on-roof-as-another-survives-fall.html

Good grief! - Bromptonaut
>> www.telegraph.co.uk/news/aviation/11685531/Plane-stowaways-body-found-on-roof-as-another-survives-fall.html

The story here is of stowaways on a flight from Jo'burg (but reportedly originating at Luanda Angola) to Heathrow. Presumably they hid in the landing gear bays. While one was found dead on a Richmond rooftop the other apparently survived.

Some background here from the Guardian.

www.theguardian.com/world/2015/jun/19/one-in-four-plane-stowaways-survive-london-astonishing

Good grief! - zippy
Madness, but whats the point of all this security at the terminal if a poor migrant can stowaway.

It won't take long for the nutcase suicide bombers to figure out the same tactic!
Last edited by: zippy on Fri 19 Jun 15 at 11:45

Good grief! - No FM2R
And if they'd been suicide bombers?

Edit: snap
Last edited by: No FM2R on Fri 19 Jun 15 at 11:54

Red Bull Barnstorming - VxFan

A world first, two planes fly through a hangar side by side ... at 185 mph.

youtu.be/i3pkBSE1WBs

Red Bull Barnstorming - Bromptonaut
I wonder where it was performed/filmed?

Looks a bit like West Freugh in SW Scotland.

Red Bull Barnstorming - No FM2R
Llanbedr Airfield, North Wales.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Fri 19 Jun 15 at 13:50

Red Bull Barnstorming - Bromptonaut
>> Llanbedr Airfield, North Wales.

Thanks.

Red Bull Barnstorming - VxFan
A bit more info for you

www.redbull.com/uk/en/motorsports/stories/1331729347327/red-bull-barnstorming-action-clip-video

Old guys rule - F-16 beats F-35 - Focusless
...but there's good reasons why, allegedly:
tinyurl.com/oemwxu7 (Telegraph)

Always liked the look of the F16; not so keen on the F35, does look a bit bulbous.

Old guys rule - F-16 beats F-35 - sooty123
Been doing the rounds last few days online. Difficult to compare what is in effect a test aircraft to a current fleet one. Still plenty of testing to do, early versions of new aircraft tend to have issues against older ones in the beginning. Its just that this program is the first one with huge amounts of interest online and every move commented on.

Vulcan - bathtub tom
You had to be there to fully appreciate it, but this gives you a taste of what it was like before all the car alarms went off:

video-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hvideo-xtf1/v/t42.1790-2/11662243_10206324635949087_1140970968_n.mp4?efg=eyJybHIiOjMwMCwicmxhIjo1MTJ9&rl=300&vabr=162&oh=5a62da681d87d0577cfe97d65936aa33&oe=5599AB6A
 Vulcan - VxFan
All I get is "Sorry, something went wrong."

Will this do instead?

youtu.be/flg3tpewAs8
Last edited by: VxFan on Mon 6 Jul 15 at 01:32

Vulcan - bathtub tom
Try this one: tinyurl.com/q4sefoz

Filmed from within the air-show, not by some cheapskate outside!

Vulcan - Bromptonaut
>> Try this one: tinyurl.com/q4sefoz
>>
>> Filmed from within the air-show, not by some cheapskate outside!

Link goes to a Facebook 'sorry something went wrong' message

Vulcan - bathtub tom
>>Link goes to a Facebook 'sorry something went wrong' message

Presumably I can see it because it's on my facebook (I didn't create it). Anyone suggest hoe I can make it visible to all?

I'll try copying it to photobucket and posting a link to there: tinyurl.com/nuvpakm

Vulcan - VxFan
>> Link goes to a Facebook 'sorry something went wrong' message

BT's 2nd link that he posted worked earlier for me, but that too now does the same as the 1st one did.

low fly-by - Focusless
I know there are quite a few of these on youtube, but this one seems lower than most:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYl9z7rcfsY (published by Mail)

low fly-by - Zero
>> I know there are quite a few of these on youtube, but this one seems
>> lower than most:
>> www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYl9z7rcfsY (published by Mail)

Thats *really* low

low fly-by - Armel Coussine
I remember being buzzed by USAF Sabre strike fighters at Plymouth air show in the fifties. Those chrome-nosed things appeared over the horizon, became very rapidly bigger in total silence and were instantly over your head in a shattering blast of sound, then gone.

I've got a big photo somewhere that I took myself behind my hotel in Chad, of one or two French Jaguar fighters making a ripple on the surface of the Chari river flying past at high subsonic speed (in a demonstration of French military might for anyone concerned).

Deltic - Zero
A dull damp morning set alight by this

www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDm8oG1yB4Y
 Deltic - Dog
Wot, no steem!

Deltic - Zero
>> Wot, no steem!

At the moment steam down south is a ruddy disah-sta dahlin. We have one locked up and not coming out at southall, one staying west at Bristol, and thats the full extent of mainline steam motive power south of Birmingham.

However, tonight, LNER A1 class 60163 Tornado is coming down, and will stay south for a couple of years.

So watch this space later tonight

Deltic - Dog
>>So watch this space later tonight

Proper job! .. There was a 12-page Cornwall's Railway supplement in last weeks local rag.
Some great pics from Victorians times + many locos inc. the Darjeeling Himalayan steam engine.
Also an article about Brunel who built the Royal Albert Bridge (+others!) over the Tamar in the 1850's.
The bridge was completed in the year that he died at the grand old age of 53 :(

Deltic - Armel Coussine
>> Brunel who built the Royal Albert Bridge (+others!) over the Tamar in the 1850's.
The bridge was completed in the year that he died at the grand old age of 53 :(

My bedroom window looked down on it from a couple of miles away during my middle adolescence Perro.

Deltic - Dog
I wouldn't mind living in one of those cottages in Saltash looking down/up toward the bridge :)

Ere: goo.gl/XeC66O
Last edited by: Dog on Tue 7 Jul 15 at 16:02

Deltic - Dog
If you sold that Bentley you could buy this gaff as a weekend retreat for Herself and ya self:

www.rightmove.co.uk/new-homes-for-sale/property-33348738.html

:O}

Deltic - Dog
S'funny what you find mooching about on gmaps street view: goo.gl/rFBvnL

Deltic - Armel Coussine
>> S'funny what you find mooching about on gmaps

And funny what you don't find: neither with satellite nor the map can I find our old house overlooking the Saltash bridge.

I seem to remember problems looking for it before. Could be 'security-related' as it was all Admiralty land, part of it enclosed by a high steel fence, and there are or were underground storage facilities, entered I think from river level, containing ordnance.

Deltic - Dog
It may well not be available on street view if it was on Admiralty land, but you could try and locate it via Google Earth.

Deltic - Armel Coussine
>> you could try and locate it via Google Earth.

Foxed on that too Perro.

They don't mess around, those folk in the crows' nests and poring over their computers in Cheltenham and so on.

Doubt if you'll get much detail or intelligible graphic for Devonport or Bull Point either.

You couldn't see the trains from my bedroom window, or hardly, because they were under the huge steel tubes of the bridge's unique design. But it's a windy place so you could always see the smoke and steam when a train crossed into or out of Cornwall.

Deltic - Focusless
>> Doubt if you'll get much detail or intelligible graphic for Devonport or Bull Point either.

Here's Devonport on Google Maps ('satellite' view) , but I don't know where the interesting bits are. Spot any gaps AC?
goo.gl/maps/aYjTZ

Deltic - Armel Coussine
>> Spot any gaps AC?

No. But I saw one earlier that was deliberately obscure.

Deltic - Old Navy
The Faslane submarine base and the surrounding MOD stuff is clear on Google maps. A deterrent has to be seen to be credible. In my day the Helensburgh taxi drivers were a good source for submarine movements. :-)
Last edited by: Old Navy on Tue 7 Jul 15 at 19:15

Deltic - Focusless
>> The Faslane submarine base and the surrounding MOD stuff is clear on Google maps.

Sorry if I'm being dense but you mean here?
goo.gl/maps/947J5

I'm curious to (not) see one of these places.

Deltic - Old Navy
>> >> The Faslane submarine base and the surrounding MOD stuff is clear on Google maps.
>>
>> Sorry if I'm being dense but you mean here?
>> goo.gl/maps/947J5
>>
>> I'm curious to (not) see one of these places.
>>

Yes that's it, lots of MOD stuff in that area.

Deltic - Focusless
>> Yes that's it, lots of MOD stuff in that area.

Ok, thanks. Not knowing what is there, it's difficult to spot what's not there, if you see what I mean :)

Deltic - Old Navy
>> >> Yes that's it, lots of MOD stuff in that area.
>>
>> Ok, thanks. Not knowing what is there, it's difficult to spot what's not there, if
>> you see what I mean :)
>>

Dont worry about it, some of them are difficult to see even when you know where they are.

Deltic - Armel Coussine
I know our house was still there a few years ago because I went there. It was in multiple occupancy though, not as it had been in our day. The two bronze 18th century mortars outside the front door, which I polished with immense effort, had gone.

The farm attached to it was still operated by the son of the Jehovah's Witness who ran it in our time. We recognised each other. His father and sister had gone to spread the word in Latin America... bunch of nutters, always nice to me though.
Last edited by: Armel Coussine on Tue 7 Jul 15 at 20:20

Deltic - Dog
>>The two bronze 18th century mortars outside the front door, which I polished with immense effort, had gone.

Romanians probably had 'em away if they weren't firmly attached to the terra firma.

:}

Deltic - Bobby
My mates boat is in that image!

Deltic - Bromptonaut
>> goo.gl/maps/aYjTZ

My daughter could see her house on there.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Tue 7 Jul 15 at 19:18

Deltic - Zero
>>
>> So watch this space later tonight

Yertis

www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9a_iWGIaMQ
Last edited by: VxFan on Wed 8 Jul 15 at 02:01
 Deltic - No FM2R
Nice to watch. Makes me homesick though.

Deltic - sherlock47
Good video- but you very nearly came unstuck with the slow to depart north bound commuter train!

There used to be a footpath 'pedestrian' crossing of the main line to the south of Brookmans Park. Not sure if it is still there, as pushing a pushchair across 4 lines with potential for counter running 125s and near silent multiple units required the utmost concentration. From memory it would allow good lineside access for videoing.

Where did you film it from? The road bridge looks to close for WG?

If you had posted your potential location earlier I could have given good advice on the pubs to avoid for lunch.
Last edited by: sherlock47 on Wed 8 Jul 15 at 06:42

Deltic - Duncan
>> Where did you film it from? The road bridge looks to close for WG?
>>
>> If you had posted your potential location earlier I could have given good advice on
>> the pubs to avoid for lunch.
>>

I don't know about pubs to avoid, but this is a good one to frequent in Potters Bar. Well cooked, good value food and a wide selection of well kept ales.

tinyurl.com/pqk3jhj

Deltic - Zero
>> Good video- but you very nearly came unstuck with the slow to depart north bound
>> commuter train!

Lightning strike at Doncaster knocked out the signals, everything from the north was late, so I my plan for a clear viewing spot went to pot. Worked out OK tho and conveys the reality of steam on the modern main line railway. Ironically the class 313 commuter train is older than Tornado!

>> There used to be a footpath 'pedestrian' crossing of the main line to the south
>> of Brookmans Park. Not sure if it is still there, as pushing a pushchair across
>> 4 lines with potential for counter running 125s and near silent multiple units required the
>> utmost concentration. From memory it would allow good lineside access for videoing.

There are now no foot crossings on the ECML until just south of Biggleswade where there is a cluster.

>> Where did you film it from? The road bridge looks to close for WG?
>>

Fro the Northern end of the down (thats away from london) platform at Welham Green

Deltic - Dog
Proper ansome!

Deltic - Focusless
>> However, tonight, LNER A1 class 60163 Tornado is coming down, and will stay south for
>> a couple of years.

Managed to time this morning's run so I caught it steaming through Sydney Gardens on its way out of Bath this morning. Impressive.

Deltic - Zero

>> Managed to time this morning's run so I caught it steaming through Sydney Gardens on
>> its way out of Bath this morning. Impressive.

Wont be long before overhead electrification ruins that scene.

An early 06:00 am start form home, sees me at Westbury in Wilts to film it

www.youtube.com/watch?v=1KfFRCUvbSU

Deltic - Focusless
>> Wont be long before overhead electrification ruins that scene.

Indeed - various line closures this and next month.
www.firstgreatwestern.co.uk/bath2015

(includes lowering line through Box tunnel)
Last edited by: Focusless on Sun 12 Jul 15 at 12:48

Deltic - Focusless
>> Indeed - various line closures this and next month.
>> www.firstgreatwestern.co.uk/bath2015

And the reason Chippenham-Bath is currently taking 45 mins rather than the usual 15, as I've just discovered, is that from Chippenham they take a left through Melksham down towards Trowbridge. Just outside the station the driver gets out and swaps ends, and they come back up to Bath via the scenic route through Bradford-on-Avon. Quite an adventure :)

Boeing 757-200 - ....
I know each airline can customise the interior of their aircraft but when was the last time any of you flew on a plane which had no individual air vents ?

We borded our flight home on Thursday last week and it was only when I noticed the chilled air smoking down the sides of the aircraft I realised the air vents were missing from overhead.

Boeing 757-200 - sooty123
>> I know each airline can customise the interior of their aircraft but when was the
>> last time any of you flew on a plane which had no individual air vents
>> ?
>

Last year for me, for one that had no individual air vents.

Boeing 757-200 - ....
Ah, OK. I wondered if it was related to age and if the plane I was on was built when I was still in short trousers ( a long time ago ).

I thought it might be the equivalent of trying to source a car these days without ABS.
Last edited by: gmac on Sun 12 Jul 15 at 13:49

Boeing 757-200 - sooty123
It probably is related to age and the buyer as well. Although fairly I would think, vast majority will have them. I never really use them anyway.

Boeing 757-200 - Old Navy
I like the fixed (non reclining) seats fitted to some short haul aircraft these days. This is an example for those who don't have to fly cattle class.

www.pitchaircraftseating.co.uk/news/2014/7/1/pitch-successfully-launch-the-pf2000-economy-seat-with-monarch-airlines

Boeing 757-200 - mikeyb
>> I like the fixed (non reclining) seats fitted to some short haul aircraft these days.
>> This is an example for those who don't have to fly cattle class.
>>
>> www.pitchaircraftseating.co.uk/news/2014/7/1/pitch-successfully-launch-the-pf2000-economy-seat-with-monarch-airlines
>>
Look pretty similar the BA's new offering on A320

www.businesstraveller.com/news/100578/ba-unveils-new-short-haul-cabin-interior

Boeing 757-200 - Bromptonaut
Which airline gmac?

I'd guess the vents were removed at some point either because of revised seating (no longer align with rows) or expense of maintaining them.

The 757 has been a fantastic workhorse and can do things it's modern equivalent the Airbus 321 cannot such as transatlantic and short runway operations without needing a tench stop for fuel. Return to UK from Skiathos is an example of the latter. But it's getting long in tooth and is fuel heavy compared to modern kit. Monarch retired their last one this year but Thomson, Thomas Cook and Jet2 still keep them going. I suspect latter will be last UK pax operator.

Boeing 757-200 - ....
Thomson. We flew on a 737 down to Lanzarote, 757 back to Gatwick.
Took an EasyJet A319 up to Edinburgh same day then following day an A320 Virgin Atlantic from Edinburgh back to Heathrow.

Out of all of them Virgin was the one I'd choose to fly again. More space, most comfortable seats and most pleasant crew.

Boeing 757-200 - mikeyb

>> Out of all of them Virgin was the one I'd choose to fly again. More
>> space, most comfortable seats and most pleasant crew.
>>

Need to be quick then....

www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/travel_news/article-2782480/Virgin-Atlantic-scraps-Little-Red-domestic-flights.html

Think last flights are in September

Boeing 757-200 - ....
Yep! That sounds about right. Find a service I'm happy to use and it's about to go offline...

Next !

Boeing 757-200 - mikeyb

>> The 757 has been a fantastic workhorse and can do things it's modern equivalent the
>> Airbus 321 cannot such as transatlantic and short runway operations without needing a tench stop
>> for fuel. Return to UK from Skiathos is an example of the latter. But it's
>> getting long in tooth and is fuel heavy compared to modern kit. Monarch retired their
>> last one this year but Thomson, Thomas Cook and Jet2 still keep them going. I
>> suspect latter will be last UK pax operator.
>>

Longer range version of A321 was given the commercial launch earlier this year to replace the ageing 757 fleet, and enable it to fly from Europe to the East coast

IMO the 757 is a horrible place to be a passenger - some of my worst flights after props have been on 757's

Swanage Belle - Zero
Had a long day out yesterday, chasing a train from my place to Swanage and back. Along the way had some fun with the dog, tho it didn't turn out quite so fun when she rolled in fresh cow sheet while filming this one, the car now stinks!

Anyway I made four films and this is the best. conditions were superb

www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Ar5-DLHfdA
Last edited by: Zero on Fri 17 Jul 15 at 13:36

Swanage Belle - Dog
Nice one guvnor, almost looks like a model train.

>>she rolled in fresh cow sheet while filming this one, the car now stinks!

The fun really starts when she rolls in some fox schiss!!!!!!!!!!

Swanage Belle - Zero
>> Nice one guvnor, almost looks like a model train.
>>
>> >>she rolled in fresh cow sheet while filming this one, the car now stinks!
>>
>> The fun really starts when she rolls in some fox schiss!!!!!!!!!!

Been there don't that, Fox stinks worse, but there is Sooooooooo much more cow dung

Swanage Belle - Dog
Yeah but, fox doings is the absolute worlds worst!!
Last edited by: Dog on Fri 17 Jul 15 at 15:03

Swanage Belle - bathtub tom
My old springer used to delight in rolling in anything unpleasant, but I think the worse was the day she found a rotting fish on the river bank and there's plenty of foxes round here.............

Swanage Belle - Skip
One of mine rolled in a dead sheep once, he smelt so bad that I couldn't put him in the car & had to walk him (on a very long lead) to my mums which was about 2 miles away and hose him down before walking back and driving him home.

Swanage Belle - Zero
I have known a dog to come back wearing a rotting dead seal costume,

Swanage Belle - legacylad
My friends dogs occasionally get skunked whilst out for their late evening walk. Now that really stinks.

Swanage Belle - Ted
Looked as though it threw a bit of a wobble over the barrow crossing, Z. Bet that had the fireman on his ass !

Weybridge - Zero
Good lord, this is pretty spectacular

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dinvg37RcNk

Weybridge - Bobby
No offence, but I just don't get the train thing at all.

Genuine question, and use that clip as an example, what bit / area is it that gets you going?

Weybridge - rtj70
>> No offence, but I just don't get the train thing at all.

Neither do I really but enjoyed the North Yorkshire train ride last year. And we saw it come into Whitby to test the new platform too - I even appear on the Youtube clips.

But maybe Zero just wants us to click on his link to make a tiny amount of money each time it's viewed?

Weybridge - Zero
I just typed about 500 words of why and then accidentally pressed a link and lost it all. Its easier just to let it pass, not to bother to post any more links, and at least that way you wont have to "get it" and RTJ can't whine about me recouping a small proportion of the expense.

Weybridge - Manatee
Keep them coming.

I'm not a train spotter, I just love the machinery.

Weybridge - Clk Sec
>> Keep them coming.

Yes, Please do...

Weybridge - Bobby
>>I just typed about 500 words of why and then accidentally pressed a link and lost it all. Its easier just to let it pass, not to bother to post any more links, and at least that way you wont have to "get it" and RTJ can't whine about me recouping a small proportion of the expense.

Sorry I wasn't making the comment to cause offence, I was just genuinely asking about it. I know there are a lot of spotters who look to try and tick off trains that they have seen. In fact I have seen folk even do this at bus stations and that's a kind of "target" that they have to try and score them all off, so to speak.

But just wondered and using your clip as an example, what aspect was it that made you do this - is this an engine you have longed to see or have you seen it before? Is it uncommon to see , does it run regularly etc? Was it its first ever outing?

That was all - apologies if any offence was taken!

Weybridge - sooty123
. In fact I have seen folk even do this
>> at bus stations and that's a kind of "target" that they have to try and
>> score them all off, so to speak.
>>

I did wonder if there was such a thing as a bus spotter, it seems there is. There seems to be a spotter for every type of public transport and more besides.

Weybridge - Dog
>>But just wondered and using your clip as an example, what aspect was it that made you do this

It's a hobby and an interest, just like any other. If you don't get it, you don't get it, like I don't get playing golf, or collecting teaspoons. I did have a go at videoing a steamer in Cornwall a while ago, and enjoyed the experience far more than I would a round of golf :)

Weybridge - Dog
Looked a bit unstable to me at 0.31 secs ...

Weybridge - Zero
>> Looked a bit unstable to me at 0.31 secs ...

As ted said, if the fireman was in the act of shovelling he would have been over on his ass.

Weybridge - Dog
It makes me realise how primitive we still are. It's the 21st century ffs! all trains should be Maglev by now.

AND while I've got the floor :o) we should all be drivng EV's, or hydrogen-powered cars at the very least.

Weybridge - Zero
>> It makes me realise how primitive we still are. It's the 21st century ffs! all
>> trains should be Maglev by now.

And that is what makes it unique and special. Where else can you film disgusting 1950s transport alongside 130 mph tilting trains.

Weybridge - Dog
Just had a 2nd look, I didn't realise the other train was a tilter. What's all that smoke about then.
Is it, um, smoke or steam?

Weybridge - Zero
>> Just had a 2nd look, I didn't realise the other train was a tilter.

Its not, It was quoting an example of stuff I have filmed elsewhere.

>> What's
>> all that smoke about then.
>> Is it, um, smoke or steam?

Its smoke mostly. It shouldn't be. It should be a nice white colour, mixed with steam. Tangmere is a notoriously bad draughting, bad firing filthy claggy engine. Its caused by poor design and poor coal, and I bet the fireman was tearing his hair out trying to keep the fire really hot rather than merely warm. Having said that it was still roaring along at damn near 70mph hauling 450 tons of rolling stock and 35 tonnes of dead diesel loco at the back.
Last edited by: Zero on Thu 23 Jul 15 at 10:07
 Weybridge - Dog
>>Its smoke mostly. It shouldn't be. It should be a nice white colour, mixed with steam

It adds to the atmosphere of the moment though - especially if you are there getting a couple of lung fulls of the stuff.

I still like the whiff of ciggy smoke ... unless it's from taylor-made fags.

Weybridge - legacylad
From the upstairs of chez LL I can see a half mile length of the Settle Carlisle line, maybe more, all the way from Settle station. With bins I get a good view of the platforms, which are a few hundred feet lower in elevation from my place. I always watch the steam specials if they are passing, and sometimes wait on the platform if one is imminent as I pass the station en route to the gym. Whose address is 'the Sidings'!
Makes a nice change to the low flying fast jets who at times seem to be targeting my place, although actually it is Giggleswick School Chapel a half mile away.

Droning on - smokie
Did we do this before? I know there is a bit of discussion on drones, but drone racing looks like fun. Expensive hobby though. www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ut1EJCZpvEI

Up to date version of model planes or boats I suppose. g1heq.co.uk/boats/slides/img124.jpg

Droning on - Focusless
>> Did we do this before?

Link to vid of French version in here (Fursty Ferret's 1st post) which provoked a bit of discussion:
www.car4play.com/forum/post/index.htm?t=18238&v=f

Green steam engine - legacylad
Rudely awakened this AM by whistling steamer as it passed through Settle heading north. Looked out of the bedroom window and it was green, where normally they are black. My 20yo travel bins, which I keep on the window sill to watch low flying Chinooks and transports as they trundle down the Ribble valley, were not powerful enough to get the number, or maybe my eyes are simply not good enough! Pentax 10x21 5degree.....probably need to buy some with greater magnification.
I'm drinking & currying in Settle this evening, only a minute from the station, so might call in and see what time it is due to pass through on its return trip.

Green steam engine - spamcan61
sounds like the 'Cumbrian Mountain Express' - timings here:-

uksteam.info/tours/t15/t0801a.htm

Green steam engine - legacylad
Thank you. That was it. Not returning in this direction then. The older I get the more I struggle with the 8 hour time difference jet lag so will stay in bed a few more hours. I need to be in top form for a friends beer n curry birthday bash tonight!

Coming to a circus soon - ....
www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-33906008

The chute couldn't be operated because the crew member usually opened the door on the other side ?

No mention of the doors or wings falling off like a clown car though.
Last edited by: gmac on Fri 14 Aug 15 at 20:00

Coming to a circus soon - Bromptonaut
>> The chute couldn't be operated because the crew member usually opened the door on the
>> other side ?

Having read the full report on this incident* I'm not exactly rushing to fly with Jet2. On the door point however I can sort of see what the issue is.

Cabin doors are designed to be opened/closed by a single crew member. No great strength is required but as the doors are large, heavy and move on complex hinge mechanisms operating them requires significant co-ordination of limbs etc. Cabin crew operate the left doors, used for passenger access, on every sector. Right side doors are used for service of galleys etc and are worked by ground crew. It was suggested in the report that cabin crew in this case might have struggled to achieve the required limb co-ordination while working in opposite sense to which he/she was accustomed.

*www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/454033/AAIB_Bulletin_8-2015.pdf see section re G-GDFT

Coming to a circus soon - rtj70
But in an emergency situation, the doors over the wings are to be operated by passengers and therefore must surely be easy to open?

Coming to a circus soon - Zero
A shed load of spits and hurries have gathered at Biggin, all have been prepped and are on the flight line ready for this

www.sevenoakschronicle.co.uk/Biggin-Hill-s-largest-Battle-Britain-flypast-set/story-27613152-detail/story.html

tomorrow.

I might pop down to Leith hill and see if if thats within camera sight line of Grice flight

Coming to a circus soon - smokie
Ah - that might account for the three I heard going over earlier - I was pretty sure they were Hurricanes or Spits but they were out of sight by the time I got outdoors.

Coming to a circus soon - VxFan
Bournemouth air festival this Thurs to Sunday, so there will be quite a bit of air activity over the coming days in the south while the planes fly in to Bournemouth air port in readiness for the show.

>> I might pop down to Leith hill and see if if thats within camera sight
>> line of Grice flight

Well, I poured over google earth checking the start location (biggin) the assembly point (westerham) the destination (portsmouth) the return route (via dunsfold), plotted the lines and decided that Leith Hill would be the spot to be at (vaguely toyed with the idea that Box Hill would be a good spot).

So I drove to Leith Hill, and they flew over box hill about 5 miles behind me. Annoyingly my route there and home was past box hill.

Coming to a circus soon - Dog
Pity you can't do a system restore.

Coming to a circus soon - Mapmaker
www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-33966632

Surely the one with the teeth at 14 seconds would never have happened!

Coming to a circus soon - Bromptonaut
>> Surely the one with the teeth at 14 seconds would never have happened!

Not in the BoB but possibly in the North African theatre.

nor would the ones with d-day markings have flown in the BoB. In fact some of those flown were not even built when the BoB took place.

However, its not about historical accuracy. Its about the spectacle.

Latest Forum Posts