Non-motoring > Taking food on holiday Miscellaneous
Thread Author: legacylad Replies: 87

Taking food on holiday - legacylad
A pal of mine always takes Marmite. Another pal KitKat Chunkys. Sometimes difficult to obtain in small ski villages.
Me, Frank Coopers Vintage marmalade & Mercers Cherry Preserve ( home made are the best but I like marmalade on my bfast toast and struggle to get half decent stuff in the USA). Also I usually take Orkney Oatcakes, both thick & thin varieties.
Apart from that I adapt to the local foodstuffs
 Taking food on holiday - bathtub tom
Unknown to me, SWMBO once took a fruit cake wrapped in tinfoil. Oh what fun we had going through security! Thankfully, she hadn't put marzipan on it. She knows better now.

Once met a family with a cool box full of tins of corned beef in Ibiza.

I'm happy to eat whatever the locals have, it hasn't killed them.

Taking food on holiday - Robin O'Reliant
Tea bags.
Me too
Apart from yucky fast good burgers.
I love the Basa tacos ( fish) with avocado, salad, rice & beans. And looking at the limited menu in a small taqueria is like opening up a whole new world of tastes.
Silly me. Forgot to say I brought two large boxes of Yorkshire Gold teabags.
 Taking food on holiday - Roger.
>> Me too
>> Apart from yucky fast good burgers.
>> I love the Basa tacos ( fish) with avocado, salad, rice & beans. And looking
>> at the limited menu in a small taqueria is like opening up a whole new
>> world of tastes.
>>

We won't eat Basa - Vietnamese River Cobbler, kind of catfish reared in somewhat dubious conditions!
Cheap, though.
 Taking food on holiday - No FM2R
>>Frank Coopers Vintage marmalade

You should be proud of that tradition, LL, you are clearly a man of distinction. Look who started it, and who has followed it since.

"When English explorer Robert Scott ventured to the Antarctic in 1911-12, he carried among his provisions a can of Frank Cooper’s Vintage Oxford marmalade. So did Sir Edmund Hillary when he scaled Mt. Everest in 1953. Even the fictional James Bond, the epitome of English suave, has his daily breakfast regimen of a boiled egg, whole-wheat toast with Jersey butter and Frank Cooper’s marmalade, with very strong coffee."

topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/subjects/m/marmalade/index.html
Last edited by: No FM2R on Sun 21 Jun 15 at 17:41
 Taking food on holiday - Zero
you cant bare leaving an english foodstuff behind? stay at home.
Last edited by: Zero on Sun 21 Jun 15 at 17:54
 Taking food on holiday - WillDeBeest
Very little. Sometimes some fusilli or similar to sustain us through a rural French Sunday till we can provision properly, but the local food is part of the reason for going. We don't even drink tea in France; somehow it just feels wrong.

We do take kitchen equipment, though. You never quite know what the gite's kitchen will have, so we go with a large sauté pan, a little frying pan, large and small knives and two coffee pots: our largest Bialetti (actually an Ilsa, but the same principle) and a Mukka, a Bialetti design that makes a weak brew but also steams milk. Combining the output of the two makes a very satisfactory breakfast.
Bit daft.

I would travel with a kebab if I could. I have teabags, marmite, crisps and marmalade sent over to wherever I am if I can, and I've travelled the world.

Equally when I am in England I get a particular Chilean sauce I like shipped to me..

Why are the two things mutually exclusive?
Bit different if you're abroad long term, I think. A holiday is a two-week break from the norm, so the food (for us anyway) is part of that. Understandable to get the odd hankering after a Liquorice Allsort if you're away for months on end.

The polar explorers probably didn't expect to find roadside stalls selling the local lingonberry preserve where they were going.
 Taking food on holiday - Old Navy
It is OK for you international jet setters to have your comforts flown in, if a mere mortal can't survive on the local scran they should stay at home. :-)
>> Bit daft.
>>
>> I would travel with a kebab if I could.

What even to Turkey? or the Lebanon? or North Africa? or anywhere else where they make far better kebabs than some greasy back street reading rathole?

>>I have teabags, marmite, crisps and
>> marmalade sent over to wherever I am if I can, and I've travelled the world.

when in Ceylon? or Seviille? What on earth is there about UK fritos that is worth shipping anywhere?

Marmite? you want to have smelly breath, eat garlic like the locals.

This week I had black sausage, Andalusian style. It was in every respect like the English north country version, with some subtle but astonishingly good herbs or spices added, one of which was we worked out, Star Anise. Its ruined me for black sausage anywhere in the UK now.

There is nothing, not a damn thing about UK food that is worth shipping anywhere.

Sorry - One thing - English Sausages. Even the Jocks screw that up and make them flat and square.

>There is nothing, not a damn thing about UK food that is worth shipping anywhere.

So don't ship anything. As it happens I disagree and I ship/carry stuff.

Does it make you feel all roughty-toughty and self-satisfied by going without?

Personally I like to improve every bit of my life when I can, even if it is with cheese and onion crisps. I long ago stopped using "need" as a definition of "want".

I bet your sack-cloth rubs.

>> >There is nothing, not a damn thing about UK food that is worth shipping anywhere.
>>
>> So don't ship anything. As it happens I disagree and I ship/carry stuff.
>>
>> Does it make you feel all roughty-toughty and self-satisfied by going without?

no? Its not exactly hell on earth to be without an english tea bag now is it

>> Personally I like to improve every bit of my life when I can, even if
>> it is with cheese and onion crisps. I long ago stopped using "need" as a
>> definition of "want".

your need or want is a bag of Golden Wonder? wow your culinary horizons are well out there.

>> I bet your sack-cloth rubs.

As i said, its hardly suffering to dump garry lineker on his a***.
Last edited by: Zero on Sun 21 Jun 15 at 18:27
>> Its not exactly hell on earth to be without an english tea bag now is it

No, but I find it more pleasant with one. Why does that make you so angry? Its not compulsory.

>>your need or want is a bag of Golden Wonder?

I like Cheese & Onions crisps. I didn't say that was all I liked, just that was one thing I liked.

>>wow your culinary horizons are well out there.

I don't really understand your anger, but no mine are typically not "out there". My wife loves "out there" food, the more exotic the better, but typically I do not. I usually prefer the basic food whichever country we are in.

Potatoes and pasta feature heavily. Along with burgers, sausages and the like.

As for tea, my absolute favourite go-to-bed drink is a nice cup of tea. Herself prefers hot chocolate, but tea works for me.
>> >> Its not exactly hell on earth to be without an english tea bag now
>> is it

>> I don't really understand your anger,

Anger? not sure where you are getting anger from. Scorn maybe.

As far as tea bags go, tea bags generally are P*** poor tea, so using a foreign one is surely no hardship.

My original post has undeniably logical validity.
 Taking food on holiday - Bromptonaut
>> As far as tea bags go, tea bags generally are P*** poor tea, so using
>> a foreign one is surely no hardship.

The ordinary UK tea bag (Tetley, Ty- Phoo etc) is indeed pi** poor tea. We can though get stuff like Taylor's Yorkshire Tea which is a cut above even as bags, never mind in leaf form.

In France you're lucky to find anything other than Tetphoo type bags sold in one cup 'envelopes' and priced as a premium product
>>tea bags generally are P*** poor tea

Good luck with your standards.

For me, I have one criteria; I like to drink it or I don't. And I like PG Tips. In fact when this glass of wine is finished, I shall probably have a cup.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Sun 21 Jun 15 at 20:14
Last edited by: Zero on Sun 21 Jun 15 at 20:16
... ! ..
...?
*&&** !, $234 and £$% especially when "£$%^"£$%.
 Taking food on holiday - Robin O'Reliant
>> >>
>> no? Its not exactly hell on earth to be without an english tea bag now
>> is it
>>
>> >> >>
>>
It damn well is!!!
 Taking food on holiday - CGNorwich
"There is nothing, not a damn thing about UK food that is worth shipping anywhere"

I would have though there was quite a lot. English new season lamb, Aberdeen Angus beef, Kippers, quality cheddar cheese, English beer, English apples, strawberries, cockles, the list is endless.

I wouldn't take them on holiday though
>> "There is nothing, not a damn thing about UK food that is worth shipping anywhere"
>>
>> I would have though there was quite a lot. English new season lamb, Aberdeen Angus
>> beef, Kippers, quality cheddar cheese, English beer, English apples, strawberries, cockles, the list is endless.

Wouldn't miss any of them there is always local equivalents, Unless you are in a hell hole where any decent food of any kind is unavailable.
Nor me CGN
My only weakness is a decent teabag and marmalade, although, truth be told, I should buy loose tea leaves and buy a strainer. Educate my friends in the art of tea making.
I'm feeling guilty now
>> Nor me CGN
>> My only weakness is a decent teabag and marmalade, although, truth be told, I should
>> buy loose tea leaves and buy a strainer. Educate my friends in the art of
>> tea making.

Of course you should.
Wise words Zero
You could have saved Robert Falcon Scott's life
 Taking food on holiday - Dog
I can go one better worse than most of y'all. Being as I am a proper crank I used to take my own in-flight meal with me when flying, yeah. I used to follow a strict (The Hay) diet once upon a time, and can recall a flight barstward saying to me "your meal looks better than the one we're offering today".
Popping down to REI and Trader Joe's later this morning for provisions.
I doubt any supermarket in Placerville stocks Frank Coopers marmalade or Yorkshire Gold teabags. Just sitting on the deck with a nice pot of tea before going out for bfast...Huevos rancheros. I try to eat like some of the locals.
Have a nice day.
When it comes to marmalade strangely enough the shop bought stuff I like the best is actaully Spanish.

www.waitrose.com/shop/DisplayProductFlyout?productId=135872

Taking food on holiday - sooty123
Tea bags for me as well. Always like a decent brew where ever i am.
 Taking food on holiday - Armel Coussine
Eat what the natives eat when you're travelling. Good for the soul if not always gentle on the innards...

I tend not to eat grubs or intestines that look like intestines, but rillettes are no problem. You can be put off by the way things look, especially if they wriggle and squirm.

If you boil okra it produces a lot of stuff like stringy phlegm. There's a sort of okra soup like that which some Nigerians love, but all those strings of phlegm put me off although it tasted perfectly OK (in local terms).

Someone made me take them a box of Kellogg's corn flakes when I was going somewhere once. Surprising how unobtainable they are in a lot of places.
Usually you can only get Nestle's Corn Flakes here, and they are not, I repeat NOT, the same.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Sun 21 Jun 15 at 19:45
 Taking food on holiday - helicopter
I must admit to liking a good brew of tea and a chunky kit kat but no way would I take them on holiday.......

I like to try local food when abroad ,one of my great pleasures is chatting with the chefs and cooks and being invited into the kitchens of tavernas to see whats cooking and whats in each dish.

Last week it was wild rabbit cooked with a Cretan mysythra creamy cheese and yogurt sauce and kleftiko which is a slow cooked lamb stew with vegetables in a creamy sauce.

Even a simple greek salad or chips can be wonderful simply because of the freshness of the ingredients .

I must go on a diet......
>> but no way would I take them on holiday......

Times have changed;

I remember when I used to live in Marrakech, which would have been early 80s. I perfected the art of walking around the Jamaa el Fna with a wooden bowl, and one chose meat from one stall, accompaniments from another and drinks from a third.

There's a Pizza Hut & a McDonalds there now.

If I travel for short periods, I don't really do holidays, then I rely on the fact that I can get sufficient or adequate substitutes locally. I don't exactly "speak" other languages other than Spanish and Portuguese, but I can get by in most.

If, however, I am anywhere for any period of time then flavoured crisps, UK coffee, marmalade, brown sauce, branston, sandwich spread and many similar foods will be shipped to me.

For those that think this is a local quality issue, then think again. The coffee industry is one I know; and with certain exceptions what is shipped to a particular country is a matter of recipe, not quality, and I prefer the UK taste of coffee.
one chose meat from one stall, accompaniments from another and drinks from a third.

Still happens that way in Singapore. Surprisingly cheap too, in such as expensive city.

>> I remember when I used to live in Marrakech, which would have been early 80s.
>> I perfected the art of walking around the Jamaa el Fna with a wooden bowl,
>> and one chose meat from one stall, accompaniments from another and drinks from a third.

I like the food sellers at 'hufna' Each and every one of them insisted I was too thin and needed fattening up.
 Taking food on holiday - bathtub tom
>>I like the food sellers at 'hufna' Each and every one of them insisted I was too thin and needed fattening up

Don't try kidding us, we've seen the picture of you on that platform.....................................

;>)
>>Last week it was wild rabbit cooked with a Cretan mysythra creamy cheese and yogurt sauce and kleftiko which is a slow cooked lamb stew with vegetables in a creamy sauce.

I've come over quite queer all of a sudden.
 Taking food on holiday - Haywain
I always take tea bags; my wife, just in case, always takes a small amount of instant coffee - other than that, we're with the locals.

My son, who travels the world as a cameraman, always takes a dozen fruit malt loaves. He claims that they always come in handy, especially in jungle situations, where there's bog-all else. I think the raw seal's liver drew him a line in the snow.

As a silly aside, for students of punctuation, my initial attempt at that first line read 'I always take tea bags and my wife, just in case .............'
I like Earl Grey but I'm not much of a teahead in the conventional sense. I've always been interested to try the local variants of tea and coffee when moving about. Worst ever was some coffee made from that liquid coffee essence stuff in the Mainland Hotel in Lagos (served however by a spotless steward chap in an impeccable fussy little coffee service). But Muslim and Middle Eastern countries do coffee and tea which is often good, without the flimflam.

Desert men in the Sahara drink green tea (they prize Twining's Gunpowder) which they boil repeatedly in a small pot with water and vast amounts of sugar. The tea keeps you awake all night and primes you for those dawn looting attacks on peaceful caravans... they say you should drink water as well to prevent waterworks trouble.

No coffee has ever kept me awake as long as that Saharan green tea.
Last edited by: Armel Coussine on Sun 21 Jun 15 at 20:25
>> No coffee has ever kept me awake as long as that Saharan green tea.

First morning in a big sleazy hotel in the middle of Cairo, there was a big glass of sugary black tea along the same lines, but not so pharmacologically intense.

In the morning, one feels, there are are limits sort of. Nevertheless I love the variation and the anticipation of what comes next.
I think the strangest request we have had was when visiting a friend of Jamacian origin who lives in Italy. "Please bring some Haggis"

She obviously picked up some strange tastes while she lived here!
 Taking food on holiday - stan10
My ex used to take fav tea bags, but i always thought that, as a "foodie", part of the experience of a foreign hol was trying different food.

Mind you, she didn't speak to me for two days after i had "Dolphin" on a pacific island, (assuming it really was Dolphin - how would i know ?)

Interesting what we will and won,t eat, Why Larry Lamb, and Daisy Cow, maybe also Bambi, but not Fido, or Arkle ??
Crocodile, Ostrich, and Kangaroo are all available in the Iceland chain of shops.
>> Crocodile, Ostrich, and Kangaroo are all available in the Iceland chain of shops.

Next to the prawn ring?
No idea, we buy our freezer stock from Costco, including the king prawns in bulk bags, (next to the Scallops).
Last edited by: Old Navy on Sun 21 Jun 15 at 20:59
Last night I was here;

www.piscosourplazaegana.cl/#!menu/cfvg

WDB, your sort of restaurant. Frankly I would have rather had egg & chips.

for prices $1,000 = £1
No FM2R, that brings back memories from the last century.....I had an Argentinian friend who was based in Cusco ( not Costco!) and took punters like me on trips around the Vilcabamba valley. Arriving on an early morning flight, rather than taking it easy to acclimatise he took us for lunch and we duly got hammered on Pisco Sours.
Walked it off in the afternoon visiting some old ruins whose name escapes me. If only I had the constitution these days.
>> Why Larry Lamb, and Daisy Cow, maybe also Bambi, but not Fido, or Arkle ??

I'd wager we've all eaten quite a bit of Arkle, if only in steak pies. As for Fido and Tibs, it's a matter of what processed meat you are willing to eat. I try not to think about it too much.
 Taking food on holiday - The Melting Snowman
My missus will only go to places abroad where we can get English food.
>> My missus will only go to places abroad where we can get English food.
>>

Must limit your choices somewhat.
>> My missus will only go to places abroad where we can get English food.

Don't tell her that her bacon comes from Denmark.
 Taking food on holiday - BiggerBadderDave
I'm looking forward to going on holiday to the Canaries for good old English breakfast, beans, bacon, thick white bread (toasted or fried), bangers, mashed potatoes, brown sauce, chips, English beer, English newspapers, English people, English totty and English conversation. Can't wait. Can't fudging wait.

I do apologise, Welsh, Scots and Irish company welcome (but not their food).
Last edited by: BiggerBadderDave on Sun 21 Jun 15 at 21:34
So all you are doing is buying sunshine, what a waste of a visit to another country. You could get the breakfast in Morrison's if you can do without the sunshine and flight.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Sun 21 Jun 15 at 21:54
I love the Canaries, ON, I love the climate, the beaches, the resorts, laying by the pool, renting a car and exploring, volcanoes, camels, the shops, the bars, the cafes, the architecture, the history, the galleries, the museums, the cities, the towns, the countryside, the wildlife, the lunar landscapes, day trips, boat trips, dolphins even, submarine trips (you'd like that bit), swimming in the sea, eye candy, the markets, the nightlife, the atmosphere, the hotels, the activities for the kids and just about anything female between 35 and 70 in a bikini.

AND my two weeks of Brit companionship, food, beer and newspapers. Now you think it's a waste of a visit to another country?
>> submarine trips (you'd like that bit),

I have seen their glass bottomed boats. :-)
www.submarinesafaris.com

Here you go ON - genuine submarine trips. And guess what colour they are.

They are great fun. About half an hour of air-conditioned wreck/fish/coral-seeing. No torpedo tubes (that I could see of anyway). Now we can both say "I have been in a real submarine"!
Looks like fun, you would not catch me in one of them!
Last edited by: Old Navy on Mon 22 Jun 15 at 08:02
 Taking food on holiday - Londoner
>> I love the Canaries, ON, I love the climate, the beaches, the resorts, laying by
>> the pool, renting a car and exploring, volcanoes, camels, the shops, the bars, the cafes ...
>>
I had to re-read that line.
At first I thought that you meant that you liked "exploring camels".
(Each to their own, I suppose)
Well I do love a good camel-toe, especially around the pool.
 Taking food on holiday - Londoner
>> Well I do love a good camel-toe, especially around the pool.
>>
"camel-toe"? Is that one of those new-fangled cocktails?
The dolphin you had would have been Mahi Mahi, a sort of fish and not the aquatic mammal. Rest Assad you didn't eat Flipper.

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mahi-mahi
 Taking food on holiday - Lygonos
Had some of this with my (awesome) steaks in South Africa a few years ago:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monkey_gland_sauce

>> not the aquatic mammal. Rest Assad you didn't eat Flipper.

Er... when have human beings refrained from eating mammals, even aquatic ones?

Snoek, steak, all mammal flesh. Flipper indeed... you wouldn't want to be a harmless little fish when he was around...
 Taking food on holiday - Pat
Take food on holiday? No chance!

With a choice of excellent restaurants there is nothing we can't do without.

Toast and proper Cornish butter is the only thing we ever 'cook' in the van and if like yesterday, we decide after an early start we want to eat in, we go to the local deli/farm shop and buy salad and locally produced meats and cheeses.

Pat
 Taking food on holiday - Crankcase
I wonder if there is a generational thing here too. We still go away in a UK cottage for a week every so often with my wife's mum and sister, and have done since I knew my wife, now about 35 years. Her mum is now 80. In all that time I would think we've eaten out once or twice.

It just wouldn't occur to them to do that. There's no pleasure in it for them, being not interested at all in food anyway. I suspect it also partly comes from never ever having any money (many things I think of as entirely "normal" seem very profligate and undesirable to them, such as dishwashers, microwaves, electric toothbrushes, flat screen televisions), so a meal out they don't really want would have a been an expense too far.

It does mean we get to places and there are complaints because it doesn't have a fish slice or whatever, but the idea that other people on holiday eat out every night and that's what owners expect these days is always met with disbelief and incomprehension.

Plus they don't like very much variety in their food. My wife's dad was in his seventies before he tried and disliked pizza, and to my knowledge never touched a bite of anything called "curry".

My own mum was always much more adventurous and traveled all over the place, but also was never interested at all in food and a meal out was a bore.
>> Take food on holiday? No chance!

Nor me for the most part. Marmite and a few other essentials are part of the 'stock' contents of the caravan. So are the makings of a basic meal; a tin of tuna and a bag of pasta or something like that in case of arriving on site after shops close. Decent tea bags are practically unobtainable in France so we might take those too if venturing over the Channel.

We're far more likely to bring stuff back. French Ketchup, Barbecue Sauce and Dijon Mayonnaise (all of the Amora brand) are much tastier than the Heinz or Hellman's variety. In spite of Ducros and McCormicks being same outfit I've never found a UK equivalent of Poivre Saveur - a mix of black pepper and other spicy seeds. Ice Tea and other sirops for my own and other's grown up children are another must.

The odd household product too - K2R stain removal spray is way ahead of 'Shout' for getting grease spots off clothing. Alcool a Menager for cleaning and making own screenwash is another, you only seem to find evil smelling Meths as equivalent in UK.

Never bought it but Mrs B thought the 'Acide Hydrochlorique' on Carrefour's shelf, sold for descaling bogs etc, was more concentrated than the stuff she's allowed to use in a school laboratory.
 Taking food on holiday - Mapmaker
The only thing I take abroad is tea. I don't get on very well starting the morning until I've had at least one, often two, mugs of tea... particularly if I've sampled a range of the local wines the night before.

Biggest disappointment is arriving in a French ski chalet to discover that it's full of cornflakes and Marmite and beans to keep the poor Brits happy whilst abroad.
We're far more likely to bring stuff back.

Yes! Maille green peppercorn mustard, Côte d'Or chocolate with salted almonds (Beestling Major brought me - unprompted - some of that from his Paris exchange. Good lad!) cured sausages, half a Pyrenean ham one year. Pelforth Brune, which is the best cooking beer I've come across. Gallettes du Mont St Michel, Bonne Maman greengage jam, chestnut purée - I could go on and on.
 Taking food on holiday - Alanovich
www.frenchclick.co.uk/

You're gonna need a bigger credit card, WdB.
 Taking food on holiday - Dutchie
When we drove to France we always took drinks and food with us.If I am in a foreign country I eat their food.In Chartres France I asked for a salad.The waiter came back with letters covered in Olive oil.I asked about the tomatoes and cucumbers with the salad and he looked dom.

>>The waiter came back with letters covered in Olive oil

So they were French letters then Walt, covered in oil, is that right?
To my astonishment they stock andouillettes. But what they don't have of course is proper, butcher's, andouillettes.
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andouillette

For anyone else who didn't know.
>>For anyone else who didn't know.

Thank you. Although I partly wish I still didn't.
 Taking food on holiday - Manatee
>> >>For anyone else who didn't know.
>>
>> Thank you. Although I partly wish I still didn't.

The British version is burgers.
Which is fine. I don't mind what it *actually* is, I just don't want it to look like it.
 Taking food on holiday - The Melting Snowman
Yuk, looks and sounds disgusting. Do people actually eat that sort of thing?
If you are in the Phillipines you might like to try Balut

www.wikihow.com/Eat-Balut
>> Yuk, looks and sounds disgusting. Do people actually eat that sort of thing?

It's usually delicious but there's a wide variation in how err 'ripe' it is. My friend Ian's term, bottom sausage, can be apparent from the olfactory evidence.

The French regard it as unusual for a Brit to try it 'Vous connaisez Andouillete?' in a surprised intonation is not uncommon.
>> en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andouillette
>>
>> For anyone else who didn't know.

Here is a tip to keep it fixed in your mind

Andouillette looks very much like Toilet in the printed form on the menu.
 Taking food on holiday - Roger.
>> en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andouillette
>>
>> For anyone else who didn't know.

So it's a s*** (faeces) sausage!
I went to Lyon for a business trip and stayed a couple of extra days. So I asked the notary whether she could recommend a restaurant (French notaries are famous for their love of food). She looked a bit dubious, Lyon being a famous place for the nasty bits and asked what sort of food. Upon responding andouillette, her eyes lit up and she sent me to a superb place; so good I went back the following evening. www.cafecomptoirabel.fr/

As Brompton indicated, it's a shibboleth.

And absolutely delicious too. One of my top favourite foods. Always have some in the freezer left from the previous French trip.
Last edited by: Mapmaker on Wed 24 Jun 15 at 14:34
Latest Forum Posts