Non-motoring > British Telecom Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Roger. Replies: 9

British Telecom - Roger.
Another example of BT's sneakiness appeared in my inbox this morning.
I have BT fibre + line rental +free anytime calls. (Taken up on a 12 month contract at a discount, I hasten to add)
As part of this there has been included BT Sport. I never watch BT Sport as it's mostly showing a horrid pastime known as soccer.
The email this morning was to advise me that "BT Sport is changing." - i.e. now being an add-on service for an extra fiver a month from 01/08/2015..
This will automatically happen IF YOU DO NOTHING!
I suspect a good few people will not bother to read the email, seeing it as just more marketing garbage.
Luckily I did read the email and found there is an "opt-out" which involves visiting their web site and ordering free BT Lite, as a "downgrade".
This is inertia selling by a company whose charges are, as standard, about the highest in the business to star with
I have diarised the end of my BT contract and will almost certainly switch to a cheaper deal elsewhere when the time comes.
OTT charging and underhand marketing like this certainly does not engender customer loyalty!.
 British Telecom - Fursty Ferret
So change provider. If they're materially changing the terms of your contract they'll be forced to let you go early.

Loads of people hate Sky but for internet they can't be beaten, since they don't throttle video streaming in the evenings on their fibre connections, unlike BT and EE. Might be worth budgeting for a router that isn't crap, though... ;-)
 British Telecom - Roger.
>> So change provider. If they're materially changing the terms of your contract they'll be forced
>> to let you go early.
>>
>> Loads of people hate Sky but for internet they can't be beaten, since they don't
>> throttle video streaming in the evenings on their fibre connections, unlike BT and EE. Might
>> be worth budgeting for a router that isn't crap, though... ;-)

I'm quite happy with the actual BT fibre service which they provide.
The BT Home Hub 5 is not the easiest to configure, though. For instance, as mentioned in another thread, one cannot alter the DNS servers, thus making it necessary to alter each computers connection settings.
BT speed is good and so far has been reliable here, but no better than TalkTalk, my previous provider.
Come next December I'll be looking for a deal!
Last edited by: Roger. on Thu 25 Jun 15 at 17:12
 British Telecom - Zero

>> I'm quite happy with the actual BT fibre service which they provide.
>> The BT Home Hub 5 is not the easiest to configure, though. For instance, as
>> mentioned in another thread, one cannot alter the DNS servers, thus making it necessary to
>> alter each computers connection settings.

there is no need to change the BT DNS servers, they are equally as quick and available as any open ones.
 British Telecom - Roger.

>>
>> there is no need to change the BT DNS servers, they are equally as quick
>> and available as any open ones.
>>

Not everyone agrees.

www.expertreviews.co.uk/networks/1400420/how-to-fix-bt-dns-issues-using-google-dns

I suspect that plenty of browsing habits may be ascertained from DNS look-ups - I'd rather Open DNS had this than BT or Google
 British Telecom - Zero

>> I suspect that plenty of browsing habits may be ascertained from DNS look-ups - I'd
>> rather Open DNS had this than BT or Google

Your browsing habits are NOT taken from DNS stats. They have the detail either way you try it. To prove it, try and get pirate bay on your open DNS server.
 British Telecom - No FM2R
Report it to Ofcom. Just the sort of thing they like to deal with.
 British Telecom - Zero
To be fair, BT have sent me the email twice, and its pretty clear in the email that you need to do something.

However, yes its true as your terms are being changed, by them, you can't tell them to give you your PAC code and go whistle for any charges because its not end of term.
 British Telecom - No FM2R
>as your terms are being changed, by them, you can't tell them to give you your PAC code

Can't you? Or a typo?
 British Telecom - Zero
typo meant to be "can"
Latest Forum Posts