Non-motoring > 43" waist trousers Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Ambo Replies: 80

43" waist trousers - Ambo
Can anyone suggest a source of 43" waist mens' trousers please? 42" is too tight for me, 44" too loose. I have checked a score of websites, to no avail.
 43" waist trousers - John Boy
I have a similar problem. I haven't found 43" waist trousers anywhere. I try on both sizes and hope that the cut of 42" will be generous or 44" be mean. You'd expect that the cheaper shops would do mean cuts to save money, but that's not necessarily true in my experience.
 43" waist trousers - sooty123
Could you buy them and then get them adjusted?
 43" waist trousers - Mapmaker
Trousers that large should have an extra tax on them to discourage gross obesity.

In Japan you are not allowed to have a waist size in excess of 33.5" for health reasons.

blogs.wsj.com/health/2008/06/13/another-thing-big-in-japan-measuring-waistlines/
 43" waist trousers - TheManWithNoName
>> Trousers that large should have an extra tax on them to discourage gross obesity.

Just as well you're not taxed on dumb4ss comments then.
;-)
 43" waist trousers - WillDeBeest
Most towns have someone who'll do adjustments and alterations for a few quid. I often buy trousers unfinished online and then have the smallest possible hem (and some weighting tape) put on them. I've had waistbands taken in too, and jackets, which are far more complicated than trousers.

But 43 inches? Is it really the trousers that need adjusting?
};---)
 43" waist trousers - No FM2R
Some retailers count on customers believing that their clothes fit better than clothes from other retailers.

Some customers believe that they measure slightly smaller than they actually do.

M&S used to make their clothes slightly oversize for those reasons.

Some US retailers still do the same. Maybe M&S still do?
Last edited by: No FM2R on Thu 25 Jun 15 at 11:51
>> But 43 inches? Is it really the trousers that need adjusting?
>> };---)

Not wanting to be skinnyist about this, but I read that as 33".

My solution to the trouser problem still applies though.

43" waist trousers - Boxsterboy

>> But 43 inches? Is it really the trousers that need adjusting?
>> };---)
>>

Yes, that would be my response too!
 43" waist trousers - VxFan
>> Can anyone suggest a source of 43" waist mens' trousers please? 42" is too tight for me, 44" too loose.

Buy 42" with an elasticated waist (most allow up to 2" of expansion).

Or buy 44" and a belt.
Last edited by: VxFan on Thu 25 Jun 15 at 12:48
 43" waist trousers - CGNorwich
No you cannot buy 43inch trousers and more than you can by 33 inch trousers . They are always even numbers The obvious solution is to either lose a few pounds so you can get into a 42 inch or alternatively eat a bit more so the 44 inch will fit you. I make no judgement as to which option to take

Alternatively you can by a 44 inch pair and have them taken in. M and S will do this. The other alternative is to have some made to measure.

>> any more than you can buy 33 inch trousers .

Ahem.

www.adamoflondon.com/aol_newshop/index.php?l=product_list&c=3

Yes but they are really 34 inch aren't they?

"we have deliberately made only the waist part of our trousers an inch larger, this is accomadate the change of the male figuration since the 1960's and the fact that men are now wearing their trousers much lower."
and the fact that
>> men are now wearing their trousers much lower."
>>

Indeed.

tinyurl.com/pxwfbfs
 43" waist trousers - Maisie's Dad
I've bought 33" trousers from Gap in the past.
You are indeed correct. Gap do sell 33 inch waist trousers. Useful info. Thanks

>>Gap do sell 33 inch waist trousers.

In my experience the exact size at Gap is unreliable. I have 32" that I wear often and 34" that I cannot get into. Both from Gap in the last couple of years.
 43" waist trousers - Bromptonaut
>> In my experience the exact size at Gap is unreliable. I have 32" that I
>> wear often and 34" that I cannot get into. Both from Gap in the last
>> couple of years.

I think that applies to most brands. Different ranges, different cuts and marginal differences between production runs (or even runs contracted to different factories/countries) can make a difference.
 43" waist trousers - Zero

>> Alternatively you can by a 44 inch pair and have them taken in.

or lose weight. 43 inches is fat git territory.
Buy 42" with an elasticated waist...

I believe we have reached the spiritual centre of C4P. Where's Humph when we need him?
 43" waist trousers - Cliff Pope

>> I believe we have reached the spiritual centre of C4P.
>>

Why is it with any discussion on clothing, as with food or cooking or household articles, that I just cannot take the subject seriously?
The spectacle of a middle-aged man about a foot wider than me anxiously comparing trouser sizes to see if he can fit in them seems just too comical.

I do have one suggestion - buy the 44", jump in a swimming pool, and then let them dry on you. They will shrink to a perfect fit.
>>I do have one suggestion - buy the 44", jump in a swimming pool, and then let them dry
>>on you. They will shrink to a perfect fit.

Or buy the 44" and eat slightly more.
 43" waist trousers - Clk Sec
>> Buy 42" with an elasticated waist...
>>
>> Where's Humph when we need him?

He would no doubt suggest that the OP invest in a pair of chinos. Some nice examples available in M & S.
 43" waist trousers - Armel Coussine
It's a long time since my waist measured a svelte 34". For years I used 38" and for some of that time it was a bit too tight and I had to leave the waistband undone and wear braces.

But 44 isn't really massively obese in a large framed individual who is also tall. I have a nephew who probably measures more than that, but he's tall and strong and quick on his feet. Having smallish bones and being 5'10", it would make me look very fat indeed.

38" is loose on me now and the braces are necessary. I'm back down to 35 or 36, the same measurement I had at 19. As long as I stay this size I'm OK.
Sorry to butt in, off-topic, but did you spot this AC?

www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-33254672

It mentions William Burroughs.
>> www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-33254672

Thank you JB. Good photo of the old boy...

I didn't like cut-up much, but Burroughs was so brilliantly creative he did manage to do things with it. In the time I knew him he was coming increasingly under Brion Gysin's influence. Gysin sounded American but was actually English upper-middle class, and Catholic (went to school at Downside). He liked gimmicks, of which cut-up was one, and fed them to Burroughs who was quite easily influenced. Not my favourite person though, Gysin. He was a clannish type of homosexual, which Burroughs wasn't unless surrounded by fellow-gays.
Last edited by: Armel Coussine on Thu 25 Jun 15 at 16:37
 43" waist trousers - Dog
>> It's a long time since my waist measured a svelte 34". For years I used 38" and for some of that time it was a bit too tight and I had to leave the waistband undone and wear braces

You've surprised me there Sire. I would have ass-umed you were a lean muscular 36" like me :)

It must be all that living high on the hog - no good for you you see. You wont make old bones.

I can give you some weight lifting exercises to perform for 1 hour x 3 times per week if you want?
have you tried websites selling clothes abroad, they might have metric sizes that are more likely to fit. Not ideal as you can't try them on, but might be worth a shot?
 43" waist trousers - helicopter
Buy 44 inch waist and a pair of braces.......

Problem solved.
 43" waist trousers - Lygonos
Have you considered wearing braces to facilitate the 44" waist trews?

*edit* - beaten to it by chopper while I looked for a 'Homer in a Muumuu' linky

Last edited by: Lygonos on Thu 25 Jun 15 at 13:57
 43" waist trousers - Slidingpillar
If you've pots of money, RM William do size by inches, but not all retailers stock them and they may go to 2" increments at 40. Marks and Spencer trousers seem to be sized large and at the other extreme, Rohan are tight.

I'm a 32 with M&S, but a 33 with both Rohan and RM Williams (I've only ever bought stuff from them in a sale).
 43" waist trousers - Bromptonaut
>> I'm a 32 with M&S, but a 33 with both Rohan and RM Williams (I've
>> only ever bought stuff from them in a sale).

Rohan Bags are definitely a bit tight. A 34 is a snug fit for me though they still need a belt to add some stiffness to the waist band. On the other hand I've a pair of Rohan linen slacks in a 34 that are so oversize they look as though they're too big - scrunch round the belt.
 43" waist trousers - Slidingpillar
I erred, in Rohans, I'm usually a 34, they don't do odd sizes.
 43" waist trousers - Pat
Ambo take the advice of a woman and ignore the advice from them all......and the rude comments.

Women love something to get hold of and something to cuddle, just give the braces a miss.

So un-sexy:)

Pat
>> Women love something to get hold of and something to cuddle

Get a room you two.
Women love something to get hold of and something to cuddle...
...or failing that, something big enough to camp under when the caravan doesn't make it down a narrow lane.

Don't think I'll be giving up my gym habit just yet.
 43" waist trousers - Lygonos
4.bp.blogspot.com/-QeRGB8UfYDw/UDQOuU50peI/AAAAAAAAAGA/A09TjF9VIGU/s1600/overweight-0509-lg.jpg

Down, Pat.
 43" waist trousers - Pat
You can all mock!

Any person who is comfortable within their own body whatever the shape or size, is far less judgemental than others and consequently a far nicer person.

Women don't look for shape or looks, we look for all of those hidden qualities which make a man the person we want to spend the rest of our lives with

Modesty, empathy, kindness, loyalty and the ability to face life with a smile when the going gets rough.

Once you learn these come in many wrappers and not always the most attractive ones either, it's easy to understand that weight, age and BMI are just numbers.

Pat

>> Women don't look for shape or looks, we look for all of those hidden qualities
>> which make a man the person we want to spend the rest of our lives
>> with

Cobblers, the only ugly men with good women are those ugly men with money. Most frogs remain frogs however many times you kiss them.
Yep, Money trumps appearance. Ugly and poor is a bad place to be.
 43" waist trousers - Pat
You are both so wrong, and I would hate to live in a world where money was so important.

Pat
My local sweat shop charges £15 to take in or let out trousers, i.e. up to a third of purchase cost. 44" and take in, too much extra cloth flapping about the knees. 42" and let out, not enough spare material (at least at these prices).

Always a good idea to lose weight but not much scope as I have already lost 13 kilos (of gain due to oedema) and am "Normal" weight according to the BMI measure.

I will try Gap and metric sizes - thanks for these tips.
>> You are both so wrong, and I would hate to live in a world where
>> money was so important.

No problem for me, I am poor in money but very rich in looks.
>> You are both so wrong, and I would hate to live in a world where
>> money was so important.
>>

Thet aren't really wrong, to many in this world that's already true.
Pat, being too fat impairs mobility, is a health hazard and a drain on our emergency service as this article clearly shows.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-suffolk-33274205

43" waist trousers - Pat
Resources well used for once:)

Pat
>> Yep, Money trumps appearance.

tinyurl.com/ns2t8jh

>> >> Yep, Money trumps appearance.
>>
>> tinyurl.com/ns2t8jh

Funnily enough, that was the very toad I had in mind.
 43" waist trousers - smokie
Oh I dunno, she looks OK to me... :-)
 43" waist trousers - Dog
>>Money trumps appearance.

preview.tinyurl.com/ngu9k3p
 43" waist trousers - Duncan
>> >>Money trumps appearance.
>>
>> preview.tinyurl.com/ngu9k3p
>>

Why do you do the tinyurl.com preview?

We are big enough to go straight to the link, surely?

Sent in friendship.
 43" waist trousers - Dog
>>Why do you do the tinyurl.com preview?

>> We are big enough to go straight to the link, surely?

You've asked me that before Dunc :) .. I do it in case someone would be offended by being taken to a site that they would rather not visit, like the DM for instance :o)
>>Money trumps appearance.

preview.tinyurl.com/ngu9k3p

Multi-talented hard working cat that Stephen Fry. Big output over the years, mostly good stuff.

He's a bit annoying when he gets confiding, arch or patronizing, but no one's perfect.
 43" waist trousers - Westpig
>> Multi-talented hard working cat that Stephen Fry. Big output over the years, mostly good stuff.>>
>>
>> He's a bit annoying when he gets confiding, arch or patronizing, but no one's perfect.

That might be so, but he still looks like the lad's dad.
>> That might be so, but he still looks like the lad's dad.

Yes, he looks old enough to be the jug-eared moppet's dad all right. A lot of heterosexual relationships have a similar age gap though.
>> Yep, Money trumps appearance.

Mrs Merton asks Debbie McGee, "So, what first attracted you to the millionaire Paul Daniels?"

youtu.be/Lj-9lSEBBm0
...understand that weight, age and BMI are just numbers.

Healthy life expectancy is a number too - and one we can control, at least to some extent.
 43" waist trousers - Duncan

>> Any person who is comfortable within their own body whatever the shape or size, is
>> far less judgemental than others and consequently a far nicer person.

What would you like?

1. Rubbish.
2. That doesn't follow at all.
3. Department of sweeping judgements!

Personally, I think I prefer 1.
>> Women don't look for shape or looks, we look for all of those hidden qualities which make a man the person we want to spend the rest of our lives with
>>
>> Modesty, empathy, kindness, loyalty and the ability to face life with a smile when the going gets rough.

That may be true as a generalisation. In my experience, however, quite a lot of women take a long while to arrive at that way of evaluating men and a few never get there at all.
>> That may be true as a generalisation. In my experience, however, quite a lot of
>> women take a long while to arrive at that way of evaluating men and a
>> few never get there at all.
>>
Luckily for me, mine was fairly quick off the mark...;-)
 43" waist trousers - Dutchie
36 inch waist can go down to 34 inch.I do feel healthier after losing about 4 stone in weight.

I'm not sure what women look for in any man.I suppose have a laugh with them is a good starter.
 43" waist trousers - DP
>> Women don't look for shape or looks, we look for all of those hidden qualities
>> which make a man the person we want to spend the rest of our lives
>> with
>>
>> Modesty, empathy, kindness, loyalty and the ability to face life with a smile when the
>> going gets rough.

Most women say this. Not a single one I've ever met practices it. ;-)

I know quite a few nice, kind, modest men with a good sense of humour who aren't classically good looking, and are very very single. I also know a lot of good looking a****oles who have women falling at their feet.

I like the sentiment Pat, but it doesn't exist in the real world unfortunately.
Looks are like a CV.

A good CV may not get you the job, but it will usually get you an interview.

A bad CV won't get you anything. You need to rely on getting a job through a friend.
 43" waist trousers - Mapmaker
>>A bad CV won't get you anything. You need to rely on getting a job through a friend.

And it doesn't work to ply some unsuspecting employer with alcohol...
>> >>A bad CV won't get you anything. You need to rely on getting a job
>> through a friend.
>>
>> And it doesn't work to ply some unsuspecting employer with alcohol...

Blackmailing them afterwards usually works tho.

>> >> A bad CV

What's a bad CV? One that swerves all over the place with big gaps in it, like mine?

I prefer to think of it as interesting. But there's no one more pofaced and unimaginative than a potential employer in my experience. Tiresome stupid chaps almost to a man.

Ambition and hard work are bad for the mind and the soul.
>>
>> >> >> A bad CV
>>
>> What's a bad CV? One that swerves all over the place with big gaps in
>> it, like mine?

I must have had a dreadful CV.

When I wanted re-employment I had a shed load of knock backs... and I only wanted an admin or office managers job, something I was well qualified for.

Mind you, I did have a taste of the other side when employed previously, having been on a course for interviewing people (jobs wise) and joining my HR dept and being involved in recruiting people.

Some of the criteria they set for 'paper sifting' people was mind boggling, so the managers that wanted new staff wouldn't even get to see some of the potentially good recruits, because HR had weeded them out on some spurious ground beforehand.

>> recruits, because HR had weeded them out on some spurious ground beforehand.

HR? these days a lot of CVs get thinned out by machine!
>> HR? these days a lot of CVs get thinned out by machine!
>>

Why am I not surprised?

>> I like the sentiment Pat, but it doesn't exist in the real world unfortunately.

I think this is Pats polite way of saying Ian is Gargoyle Ugly.
>> I think this is Pats polite way of saying Ian is Gargoyle Ugly.
>>

Nah, sorry, I've met him and he looks perfectly normal to me.
 43" waist trousers - neiltoo
NFN?

needs the smiley

8o)
Last edited by: neiltoo on Fri 26 Jun 15 at 16:58
 43" waist trousers - Pat
Well, all I can say to you cynical lot is that you must have made some very poor choices of women!

Pat
>> Well, all I can say to you cynical lot is that you must have made some very poor choices of women!
>>
As I'm sure you're well aware, women do the choosing. They just let men think the opposite.
>> Well, all I can say to you cynical lot is that you must have made
>> some very poor choices of women!
>>

Not really, but we do see what happens around the world.
>>
 43" waist trousers - Pat
Just as long as you're canny enough not to let it happen to you Sooty........the rest of the world is big enough and ugly enough to look after itself;)

Pat
Tesco's ride to the rescue with a generous 42" model: linen/acetate, good spec with 4 deep pockets, well finished. All for £20.
>> >> Pats polite way of saying Ian is Gargoyle Ugly.
>>

>> Nah, sorry, I've met him and he looks perfectly normal to me.

No offence to man or beast, but do you mean normal like a colleague or normal like a client Wp?

Of course some have crossed the divide. One of those perhaps.

:o}
>> No offence to man or beast, but do you mean normal like a colleague or
>> normal like a client Wp?
>>
>> Of course some have crossed the divide. One of those perhaps.

Snigger..couldn't possibly say.
To get back to waist measurements, I worked as a waiter in a so-called restaurant opposite Bath station for a short time.

Its owner, who I won't name, was a compulsive punter on horses and used to go far and wide to the races. He carried a fat bankroll in his right or left - I forget - trouser pocket. But when at home in Bath he spent most of his time in the station bar, which I think was run by his mistress, a garish blonde, who also owned a glove factory in the country.

All the beer he drank had given him an enormous girth, and he must have had to have specially-made trousers to accommodate the paunch. I say specially made because they looked all right in a way.

Have to say too that the cat treated me right, and with an employer when you're young and gormless you can't say better than that.

>> Have to say too that the cat treated me right,

Because his best friends were bookies, he sometimes knew what horses were going to win. He gave me a horse tip once that won me a few quid. I bought my long-suffering parents some sherry glasses out of the three quid or so winnings. Mr Thing peeled it off his wad because of course he had put the bet on for me among his daily mass of bets.
Last edited by: VxFan on Mon 6 Jul 15 at 01:24
Latest Forum Posts