Non-motoring > phew what a scorcher! Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Zero Replies: 45

phew what a scorcher! - Zero
Its 32c in the shade now out there according to my weather station. The house is shuttered up and is a relatively cool 25c

The dog has been for an early morning swim, and has now hunkered down to sleep in a cool part of the house - a nice cool dusk walk along the canal will be in order later, being a hairy jock dog, she is not happy with hot weather.

Edit now 33c
Last edited by: Zero on Wed 1 Jul 15 at 10:06
 phew what a scorcher! - VxFan
Currently 20.5°C in my air conditioned office ;)
 phew what a scorcher! - Alanovich
b*****. Forgot to close the curtains and blinds before leaving this morning. Still, house faces east-west, southern wall is shaded by neighbours so it's always pretty cool inside. Front bedroom gets it a bit, but that's the lad's so it's character building.

Saw 33 on the car display yesterday, expecting higher later.

Got your budgie smugglers, white socks and sandals on, Z?
Almost, shorts, flip flops* and wife beater.

Or "thongs" as our Aussie cuz calls them.
Last edited by: Zero on Wed 1 Jul 15 at 10:30
 phew what a scorcher! - Mike Hannon
40C in the shade here yesterday, but 25C in the house, which has thick stone walls. There was unforecast thunder around this morning and a few spots of rain but temperature is going up with the sun now. We rose early so we could walk for bit and do some shopping. The supermarket in Oradour was crowded with people doing the same thing. Not my cup of tea at all. The mountains of the southern Auvergne (about 2.5 hours from here) are about right, but you wouldn't want to be there beyond October.
We plan to be in the UK in a week or so - for once the weather looks inviting.
 phew what a scorcher! - Robin O'Reliant
High cloud cover here so far today keeping the temperature down a bit. Boiling yesterday, I had to get up just after midnight and stick my feet into a bowl of water to cool down. Good excuse for a cup of tea and a cigarette though.

If it's as hot tonight I may get up and watch the England - Japan semi.
 phew what a scorcher! - Roger.
Just nice here yesterday - wall to wall sunshine and a nice breeze to ameliorate the heat.
Perfeck!
 phew what a scorcher! - helicopter
SWMBO and I were in the centre court at Wimbledon yesterday ,luckily in the shaded area and the temperature on court was reported as 41 degrees C. I was very sweaty by the days end I am afraid.
Fantastic day of tennis, Ladies champion Kvitova and Federer both looking cool as a cucumber but Murray absolutely soaked in sweat after a couple of games.....
We managed also to see Wozniaki and then caught the climax of the new British import Bedenes game when he won in the fifth set out on one of the outside courts.
Our day was ruined by absolute chaos on the trains returning home with delays and cancellations eventually culminating in us being crammed into a short train at East Croydon which was supposed to go to to Horsham. We were however told at Three bridges that due to staff shortages the train was terminating there with no realistic chance of a futher train resulting in a 20 quid taxi fare to get home.....

Be warned Southern trains , I am coming after you....
Having got rid of the rant ,today is showing currently 27.5 degrees here inside and our home weather station is forecasting thunderstoms. Thermometer outside 32 degrees currently.
 phew what a scorcher! - bathtub tom
There was a small puddle on the patio this morning - gone now. Must have rained here overnight.
 phew what a scorcher! - Robin O'Reliant
>> There was a small puddle on the patio this morning - gone now. Must have
>> rained here overnight.
>>

Nah, next door's cat.
 phew what a scorcher! - Dog
Twenny two on the out, ditto on the in funnily enough. The good thing about living in West Briton is that we don't suffer the highs and lows that yoos do in the SE & E.

Um, we get a bit of rain too at times.

Jody (Cody!!) is in the dining room, in his crate - with the door open, boy has he got some stamina - even at four months old!!

Milo is on his bed in the lounge where I am, he's finished really tbh.
Last edited by: Dog on Wed 1 Jul 15 at 11:18
 phew what a scorcher! - DP
Yesterday was glorious. The 320d's outside temperature reading reported 34°C when I got in it after work yesterday

bit.ly/1JtOtiG

Todayis much less pleasant. It's very cloudy and humid. I saw 22°C at 6:35 this morning.
think we have peaked here, got to 34.5, the cloud has come over and its dropped to 33.

phew what a scorcher! - Dutchie
Nice here not to hot slight breeze humidity fine.

phew what a scorcher! - smokie
No idea what it is here, probably similar to Zero's, but I just spent over an hour in the local gym, which felt cool when I went in but I am sweating buckets now.

I'm a novice to fitness and sessions will remain sweaty until I shift 30+ years of inactivity, whatever the temperature outside.
 phew what a scorcher! - WillDeBeest
I'm a novice to fitness and sessions will remain sweaty...

Sweating is about work, not fitness. The more work you do, the more waste heat your muscles will generate, and the more sweat you will generate to get rid of it. That won't change as you get fitter - although if you also get lighter you will have less work to do to move the same distance, which may have an effect outside the gym. But inside, if you're not sweating, you're not trying hard enough!
 phew what a scorcher! - Stuartli
>>Sweating is about work, not fitness>>

But surely it's basically the means by which the body strives to keep cool, whether you are working hard to gain fitness or just sitting in a chair doing nothing on a very warm day?
Yes, but Smokie mentioned sweating in the context of exercise. There's a misconception that fit people don't sweat and fat people do. In fact, fit people have (proportionally) more muscle mass, so are capable of generating more heat and sweating to dissipate it.
 phew what a scorcher! - smokie
There are some real regulars who I see most days at the gym and they don't look like they've just stepped out of a pool like I do, although the shirts are damp etc...

Anyway I'm sweating just as much sitting in the sun... more so probably!! Must work harder at the gym!! :-)
Last edited by: smokie on Wed 1 Jul 15 at 15:10
 phew what a scorcher! - No FM2R
>>There's a misconception that fit people don't sweat and fat people do.

Fat people have more weight to move around, their muscles are less efficient and thus will generate more heat more quickly for a similar level of exercise. A layer of fat works as insulation retaining heat; unfit people typically have more water retention, and thus will tend to sweat more easily and finally fat people have a less favourable surface area to volume ratio.

All other things being equal.

Last edited by: No FM2R on Wed 1 Jul 15 at 15:30
...they don't look like they've just stepped out of a pool like I do...

Check what they're wearing; my gym sessions got a lot more comfortable when I ditched my cotton T-shirts in favour of 'wicking' synthetics from the Running section. There's a reason we use cotton to make towels: it absorbs water and holds on to it. You'll notice professional footballers, cricketers, even rugby players don't play in cotton any more, and this is why.
 phew what a scorcher! New record high - henry k
>> think we have peaked here, got to 34.5, the cloud has come over and its
>> dropped to 33.
>>
Must be the canal keeping you cool ?

Just loaclly
The Met Office said a temperature of 36.7C (98F) had been reached at Heathrow at 14:50 BST - breaking the previous record set in 2006.
Last edited by: henry k on Wed 1 Jul 15 at 16:13
 phew what a scorcher! New record high - Zero
>> >> think we have peaked here, got to 34.5, the cloud has come over and
>> its
>> >> dropped to 33.
>> >>
>> Must be the canal keeping you cool ?
It failed I think
>> Just loaclly
>> The Met Office said a temperature of 36.7C (98F) had been reached at Heathrow at
>> 14:50 BST - breaking the previous record set in 2006.
Just got back after a lovely aircon drive, according to my weather centre it peaked here at 36.6
Last edited by: Zero on Wed 1 Jul 15 at 17:57
I stopped on my way to work to refuel the TDS. As I drove away I wondered how much less mass of diesel I may have got in my 55 litres than if it had been ten degrees cooler. And whether I'd benefited from going early and buying fuel that had at least had a night in a cool underground tank, whereas by this evening it would have had all day to warm up.

Small surprise: the pump cut out at 54.4 litres and, as I tend to, I put in the rest of the last litre. That extra pint came right to the top of the filler neck, to the point where a little dribbled out as I replaced the cap. The LEC and the departed Volvo have each taken two litres or more past the click. I don't think this can be an effect of the weather, so I'll just have to be careful.
Answered my own question: 55 litres weighs about 200g less for each 5°C above 15°C. Or a little less than 1% short of mass at 25°C.
 phew what a scorcher! - Pat
>>That extra pint came right to the top of the filler neck, to the point where a little dribbled <<

As of course it will do all day, as it continues to warm up and expand in your tank.....

Pat

Temperature has plunged to 20° now and it is abso-lutely hissing down ... cooling breeze too.
 phew what a scorcher! - zippy
Local radio has announced that the gritter lorries are out!

Apparently it protects the tarmac!?
 phew what a scorcher! - sooty123
Doesn't feel as hot here as it was yesterday. Quite cloudy and there's a wind blowing, not really seen much of the sunday today.
 phew what a scorcher! - Mapmaker
Probably no salt in it this time.
 phew what a scorcher! - Bobby
Well up here in Glasgow it has been very clammy and warm all day - cycled in this morning in record time, averaged 17.1 mph over my 12 mile commute which was pleasing. Could have just carried on as well since it was so nice.

Been out in the car majority of the day with air con on and outside temp ranging from 24-28 degrees.

Now thinking that by the time it comes cycle home time, we may well have a thunderstorm ... oh well, I have never cycled in a thunderstorm. Can't be worse than the time I cycled home through hailstones, b***** sore that was!
32.6 degrees inside and out here in West Sussex now with a breeze through open patio doors just keeping things bearable.

Forecast is still for rain, I hope it is accurate as that will save watering the garden and mowing the lawn......

Recliner chairs on the patio , chilled soft drink and attempting the Telegraph crossword, retirement is hell.
 phew what a scorcher! - CGNorwich
In the low thirties here in Corfu which is of course normal here. Do gave the benefit of an air condioned room and a very nice pool so I will tough it out. :-)
Beware of Greeks bearing spliffs.
 phew what a scorcher! - Ted
33 C here earlier in Arcadia. SWM fancied a run out to get the benefit of the aircon in the car. We went out into Cheshire and called in at the caravan dealers near Byley for some electrical bits I needed.

Had lunch at the garden centre at Allostock, sat under an aircon unit then pobbled home through the lanes. Loads of runners and cyclists out. Lots of seriously expensive open topped supercars out around Alderley Edge and Wilmslow !

Our weathergirl interviewed a scientist on the lawn at Jodrell Bank yesterday about the extra second we're getting. It was 86 F and the guy had a coat on !
 phew what a scorcher! - Manatee

>> Our weathergirl interviewed a scientist on the lawn at Jodrell Bank yesterday about the extra
>> second we're getting. It was 86 F and the guy had a coat on !
>>

An anorak?
 phew what a scorcher! - Bromptonaut
Been trying to use the Brompton for at least one of my two days/week at CAB. Fine going in this morning at 08:00 but got the client from hell at 14:55 and by time I'd sorted him a casework appointment and written up the interview it was 16:30.

Hard riding in heavy traffic with a temperature around 35C was no fun all. Better to keep moving than stop though.
 phew what a scorcher! - Armel Coussine
We've just got back from Oxford where we went to see some very good American friends, Jewish brothers one of whom is married to an Englishwoman with ms who drives about their pad on a cute little electric trolley. The other brother once came with me to Western Sahara where we shot a lot of video which we haven't yet done anything with. Their video camera was stolen at Algiers airport, but my Sahrawi friends somehow managed to get it back. However we had to buy a lot more tapes because those weren't returned.

It was great seeing them but getting there and back today was pretty horrible. We went by the idiots' route, A29 A24 M25 A40. Started at 11 which I thought would give ample time to get there by 1.30... 2.15 in the event. A lot of traffic on M25, only occasionally nose to tail, and one could do 80 quite a lot of the time on it and the M40 (didn't exceed 85 all day). But a lot of fatuous 45mph mimsing on the A roads. I don't do flash overtakes much these days. The a/c urgently needs regassing I notice, but the car is a lot quieter with the windows closed and more economical too of course.

The jalopy has a temperature readout in proper real civilized old-fashioned degrees. The only time I checked it it said the air temperature was 88, warmish. It's running very nicely thanks. The house is agreeably cool having had its windows shut all day, and now open to promote draughts.

I really need this large gin and orange. It's going down a treat.
 phew what a scorcher! - Armel Coussine
>> We went by the idiots' route, A29 A24 M25 A40. Started at 11 which I thought would give ample time to get there by 1.30... 2.15 in the event.

Can't imagine why I failed to mention that I went in the wrong direction when we got onto the M25, then had to drive 20 miles or more to find a place where it was possible to turn round. So of course that inflated the journey time and mileage and wear and tear on the temper...
 phew what a scorcher! - Cliff Pope
>> on the lawn at Jodrell Bank
>>

The standard for measuring heat waves always used to be "on the Air Ministry roof".
 phew what a scorcher! - ....
>> Now thinking that by the time it comes cycle home time, we may well have
>> a thunderstorm ... oh well, I have never cycled in a thunderstorm. Can't be worse
>> than the time I cycled home through hailstones, b***** sore that was!
>>
Are you an ex-motorbiker ?
Sticking a load of metal tubung between your legs then going for a ride in a Thunderstorm ? That's almost as funny as bikers who take a flamable liquid, put it in a tank, sit that on top of a hot engine and stick the whole lot between their legs.

Only saw 26C here on Lanzarote today. My peely-wally northern European skin says it was hotter than that.
We do the same as the French - open all the windows from very early in the morning until 10am, then shut them and all the shutters as well (which, unlike the French, we don't usually bother with). You get used to the semi-dark and it seems to work - maybe because of the thick stone walls and small windows, not to mention the ceramic tile floors. Our friends on the Cote d'Azur have conventionally built houses with big windows and extensive aircon but they don't stay as cool as ours.
 phew what a scorcher! - Focusless
And it finished with a bang - "Up to 40,000 properties in the north-east of England were left without power after violent storms struck on the hottest day of the year so far".

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-33359066

Some good lighting video.
There have been several major power cuts in France over the past few days - explained by 'the high temperatures'. No other explanation is given but, IIRC, the last time there was a major heatwave here several nuclear power stations had to be shut down or put on reduced output because they are cooled by river water, which was becoming too warm to be effective.
 phew what a scorcher! - Alanovich
So long as the bleeding tunnel is open and accessible on Saturday morning. Coming your way.
Latest Forum Posts