Non-motoring > Heathrow expansion. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: henry k Replies: 31

Heathrow expansion. - henry k
Hopefully this will start to happen soon.

Lets get on with it. It will take many years to complete it and in the meanwhile we are just loosing out to other countries.
Labour seem to be in favour so Cameron can in effect ignore his rebels.

We have benefited by our geographic position but this is being eroded by long range aircraft.

The airport has been there for generations and how many folks have bought houses in that area in that time?
Let have a few low passes of Vulcan, before it is grounded, to remind folks of what aircraft noise was like!! The VC10 used to remind me of the old days when it sometimes delivered VIPs to LHR.

I notice that dear old Zac Goldsmith has been playing silly whatsits with figures and has been called " a liar". Boris is still talking guff!

No mention , to date, in the press, of the poor old M25 commuters re the bridging etc of that road or the A4 in a tunnel.
 Heathrow expansion. - Zero
>> Hopefully this will start to happen soon.

Yup, Heathrow is the obvious choice, EVERYONE who lives within 15 mile of the place benefits from the money it brings, even those who live that rather grubby and unattractive village of Harmnondsworth.

As far as The estuary airport goes, everyone in West London would soon be up in arms if Heathrow was shut down.

The obvious answer is an extra runway at Heathrow, an extra runway at Gatwick and a high speed rail link between the two. (which should have been built along side the M25 when it was being built)
 Heathrow expansion. - Londoner
>> The obvious answer is an extra runway at Heathrow, an extra runway at Gatwick and
>> a high speed rail link between the two. (which should have been built along side
>> the M25 when it was being built)
>>
Spot on - and start the work NOW.

Throw in a high speed rail link from the departure are of the North Terminal at Gatwick to some of the more distant boarding gates while they are at it!

The amount of walking at Gatwick is ridiculous for us old 'uns. (I've been forced to use the wretched place a couple of times recently and I am not impressed.)

>> The amount of walking at Gatwick is ridiculous for us old 'uns. (I've been forced
>> to use the wretched place a couple of times recently and I am not impressed.)

YAY! lets hear it for the North Terminal Air Bridge to Gate 112!
 Heathrow expansion. - sooty123
>> The amount of walking at Gatwick is ridiculous for us old 'uns. (I've been forced
>> to use the wretched place a couple of times recently and I am not impressed.)
>>

You want to try Istanbul, worst airport for walking when changing flights.
Last edited by: sooty123 on Wed 1 Jul 15 at 20:07
 Heathrow expansion. - Stuartli
Heathrow's already expanding (it's all down to the heat!!)

Heathrow expansion. - CGNorwich

>> You want to try Istanbul, worst airport for walking when changing flights.
>>

Yep it's a real slog iif you want to take your family to Syria.

>> Yep it's a real slog iif you want to take your family to Syria.
It's easier than getting a black cab from T4 to Hounslow
 Heathrow expansion. - Roger.
AGP is a trek when using international arrivals.
 Heathrow expansion. - Mr. Ecs
If I happened to live in the pfd that is Hounslow, I would use one of the transport links cited in the report as to why Heathrow was recommended. It's called the Piccadilly line.
Last edited by: VxFan on Fri 3 Jul 15 at 12:58
 Heathrow expansion. - Old Navy
A new runway at Heathrow would only be a stopgap for a decade or so from completion. A world class hub airport would require flattening half of west London or a fresh start elsewhere. Many people use Schipol or Dubai as a hub from here, a better experience and cheaper as there is less long haul passenger tax.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Fri 3 Jul 15 at 11:51
 Heathrow expansion. - Observer
Crossrail.
I think a four runway, 24 hr operating hub airport in the Thames estuary is a great idea. Many new airports in other countries are built away from major cities. It could be built, with transport links well within the time frame one extra runway at Heathrow is going to take. At Heathrow, there will have to be more terminals and road infrastructure. Why do it piece meal. Just invest in one huge project in one go, that being a new airport. Those car drivers on here who moan about congestion on the M25 haven't seen nothing yet.
>> I think a four runway, 24 hr operating hub airport in the Thames estuary is a great idea.
Many others except Boris say it is not a good idea.
>> Many new airports in other countries are built away from major cities.
Hong Kong's new airport if full. Time to build another sand island ?

>> It could be built, with transport links well within the time frame one extra runway
>> at Heathrow is going to take.
and all the companies west of London and all the staff etc. etc.
>>
>> At Heathrow, there will have to be more terminals.
Terminal One closed this week. There will obviously be a new terminal by the new runway.

>> Why do it piece meal. Just invest in one huge project in one go, that being a new airport. >>
Those car drivers on here who moan about congestion on the M25 haven't seen nothing yet.
>>
There will also be better/ new rail links.
I for one would use them.
Not specifically those that use M25 to get to Heathrow, but those that use it generally.
 Heathrow expansion. - Alastairw
Expanding Heathrow does not in any way improve access to it from the rest of the country. As others have mentioned I would sooner change flight elsewhere in Europe or even Dubai than down there.
Last edited by: Alastairw on Fri 3 Jul 15 at 13:10
As for jobs. Companies close in this country and move jobs elsewhere or abroad all the time. There would be enough time to build housing in Kent and Essex alongside the airport construction. A lot of staff would go to a new airport, as many live around the outskirts of London anyway and commute to Heathrow daily. The staff don't all live 5 mins from Heathrow. New companies would move in to the space left from a demolished Heathrow for local employment. There are regeneration ideas that could be introduced by the Mayor at the time and the government. Its feasible.
We have a typical short sighted major infrastructure build here. The new Forth road bridge has the same traffic capacity as the one it is replacing (2x2 lanes). The old bridge reached its design capacity decades ago. It looks like LHR will go the same way.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Fri 3 Jul 15 at 13:57
Then be long sighted and build an estuary hub airport with new transport infrastructure, instead of a sticking plaster solution with Heathrow.
 Heathrow expansion. - No FM2R
Nice big new airport in the Midlands somewhere with b****** fast rail links to the centre of London, Manchester and others....
 Heathrow expansion. - commerdriver
>> Nice big new airport in the Midlands somewhere with b****** fast rail links to the
>> centre of London, Manchester and others....
>>
Have you heard of the HS2 link and the fun in getting that started?
Yup, pretty close to my house. All the villages round me were up in arms. Ridiculous.

Everybody wants advancement but not in their backyard.
>> Nice big new airport in the Midlands somewhere with b****** fast rail links to the
>> centre of London, Manchester and others....

Loads of unused capacity at the midlands/northern airports. No-one wants to fly there, Fast transfer to London wont change that.

Not that you can get F****** fast transfer to london without a new terminal and ripping up a corridor into it which will cause as much agro as a new runway at Heathrow. One runway at Heathrow and one Runway at Gatwick will increase London flight capacity by over 80% costing 30% less than any other solution.

>> Then be long sighted and build an estuary hub airport with new transport infrastructure, instead of a sticking plaster solution with Heathrow.
>>
Boris Island has sunk so leave it for the ducks.
In the past aircraft obviously had a fairly short range.
What has happened to the use of, for example Bangor, Gander Reykjavik and, Shannon
All bypassed as aircraft range extended.
London was fortunate in that it was the first large city on the router from the USA and the east.

We have been lucky and gained much wealth from our geographic position.
Airlines still wait in the queue for the OK to operate from LHR.
After the first runway debate, it was noticeable the British Airways then kept its head down and this time BAA led the campaign. I feel sure BA would fly more services but have kept quiet.

There is a risk that LHR could now be bypassed by flights and we loose all that gain.

There are so many many companies in the region of LHR that need Heathrow. They cannot possibly move to the wilds beyond Boris island.
It is not just an airport and its immediate support requirement.
I recall Stansted was the answer . IIRC American tried operating there and soon discovered that the customers ignored the service
>> IIRC American tried operating there and soon discovered that the customers ignored the service

Because of transfer time/difficulty.

How easy could you make a fast link between a field in the Midlands and either Heathrow or London Centre. PDQ, I should think. Faster than a taxi gets from Heathrow to City or Docklands and easier/cleaner than the underground.

You'd also have brought loads of other cities into range.

There's no need to take out LHR, it ought to be complimentary.
 Heathrow expansion. - Focusless
>> The new Forth road bridge...
>> The old bridge...

...is "set to become Unesco World Heritage site"
www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3149026/Forth-Bridge-set-Unesco-World-Heritage-site.html
 Heathrow expansion. - Bromptonaut
>> >> The new Forth road bridge...
>> >> The old bridge...
>>
>> ...is "set to become Unesco World Heritage site"
>> www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3149026/Forth-Bridge-set-Unesco-World-Heritage-site.html

Errrr that's the rail bridge.
 Heathrow expansion. - jc2
Yes the railway bridge-the relatively new road bridge-late 20th. century is falling apart-serious corrosion in it's supporting cables-that's why they're building a new one to a different design!Individual cables can be replaced on the new one.
 Heathrow expansion. - Bromptonaut
>> Yes the railway bridge-the relatively new road bridge-late 20th. century is falling apart-serious corrosion in
>> it's supporting cables

Opened in 1964 so more mid than late 20th century. I wonder what it's original design life was?
 Heathrow expansion. - Focusless
>> Errrr that's the rail bridge.

Jeez - how many are there? :)
>> Jeez - how many are there? :)
>>

Only half a dozen or so, not counting motorway and minor bridges. Three big ones. :-)

www.forth-bridges.co.uk
Last edited by: Old Navy on Sat 4 Jul 15 at 14:52
Latest Forum Posts