Non-motoring > Ian Allan Dies Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Bromptonaut Replies: 6

Ian Allan Dies - Bromptonaut
Ian Allan, originator and publisher of ABC rail guides died last month a day short of his 93rd birthday. He also published the aviation equivalent, Civil Aircraft Markings, a mere 25p when I bought my first copy in 1974.

There's an obituary in today's Guardian:

www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2015/jul/05/ian-allan

Who else has happy memories of ticking off numbers or reggies in his books?

He had fingers in several other pies including a motor dealership (Saab) and masonic regalia. The shop for the latter was in Gt Queen St WC2, near Masonic HQ.
 Ian Allan Dies - Zero
I was going to raise this last week, but didn't want to be accused of being a trainspotter.

My fondest memory of ian allen was when a Southeast Networker overran the end stop buffers and crashed into his head office in Shepperton.
 Ian Allan Dies - Mike Hannon
I'm not bothered about admitting to being a trainspotter AND a bus spotter. Ian Allan was good to me. RIP.
 Ian Allan Dies - No FM2R
>>but didn't want to be accused of being a trainspotter.

Horse / stable door / bolted.
 Ian Allan Dies - CGNorwich
His number was up I guess
 Ian Allan Dies - Manatee
Hadn't heard of him, but I remember the shop in Gt Queen St from the 80s. There was a period when I always seemed to be at meetings down there and not being a member of the brotherhood the shop window display provided a distraction when I was early.
 Ian Allan Dies - Dutchie
First time I travelled in the U.K. on a steam train 57 years ago.I loved it the noise of the train and the atmosphere.I think we travelled from Port Talbot to London.
Latest Forum Posts