Non-motoring > No hands selfie camera Miscellaneous
Thread Author: henry k Replies: 30

No hands selfie camera - henry k
www.youtube.com/embed/4vGcH0Bk3hg?rel=0
 No hands selfie camera - No FM2R
Its only on pre-order at this time, but I am so getting one.

b***** marvelous.
 No hands selfie camera - No FM2R
Although the Guardian review was less encouraging... (watch their video)

www.theguardian.com/technology/2015/may/13/lily-drone-personal-videographer-selfie
 No hands selfie camera - Crankcase
Agree that looks amazing. I'd have one in a heartbeat except endless footage of me sitting in the office followed by going home and sitting on my sofa is going to be boring quickly. I could lighten it up with the odd walk to the paper shop I suppose.

The Guardian video was ridiculous - of course it's all a bit iffy, the blasted thing isn't released yet. IF it gets to market and IF it works like the promo then it will be brilliant, for those who have a use for it.
 No hands selfie camera - smokie
I first saw a drone in use at a motor race in Florida in 2014, someone in a group I was with had one and sent it up to record bits of the race, also some footage of a gathering and BBQ we were having. It was most impressive, and it's the sort of gadget I'd love except like most gadgets I buy I'd play with it for a week or so then it'd gather dust.

I think even if I had a hobby which made a good film the novelty would soon wear off. When would you watch hours of footage of yourself skiing or canoeing? Despite having video readily available on the phone I still tend to take snaps rather than film, as I'm more likely to look at them again or show other people.
 No hands selfie camera - CGNorwich
Just what you want, dozen of drones buzzing around wherever you go, not to mention the risk of injury - imagine one of those hitting you in the head. Huge privacy issues too. We don't live in a wilderness like the one's shown in video. All in all a rather silly idea.
 No hands selfie camera - Zero
So, its a drone. A well thought out drone for sure, but a little limited in drone functions.

But you wont believe the general hostility to drones, the over exaggeration of the risks, wild claims of invasion of privacy, the misunderstanding of the legality and operation by law enforcement agencies, and the raft of petty regulations. All in all it makes them virtually unusable in the UK.
"All in all it makes them virtually unusable in the UK."

No bad thing then
 No hands selfie camera - sooty123
>> Just what you want, dozen of drones buzzing around wherever you go.

I don't think there will be loads buzzing about everywhere, but the technology is here and not going away.
>> >> Just what you want, dozen of drones buzzing around wherever you go.
>>
>> I don't think there will be loads buzzing about everywhere, but the technology is here
>> and not going away.

It will be legislated away. The only drones the authorities will tolerate is those controlled by them.
 No hands selfie camera - sooty123
>> It will be legislated away. The only drones the authorities will tolerate is those controlled
>> by them.

I'm not so sure but I suppose we will have to wait and see.
I suspect hat most people would support very strict legislation regarding their use. They obviously have legitimate uses as in surveying but their unrestricted use has obvious physical dangers and the potential for a high level of nuisance and obvious privacy issues. Do you really want a drone flown by your neighbours hovering over your back garden where your children are playing?
>> I suspect hat most people would support very strict legislation regarding their use. They obviously
>> have legitimate uses as in surveying but their unrestricted use has obvious physical dangers and
>> the potential for a high level of nuisance and obvious privacy issues. Do you really
>> want a drone flown by your neighbours hovering over your back garden where your children
>> are playing?

And the risks behind that are what?
Last edited by: Zero on Tue 21 Jul 15 at 10:16
Physical injury, invasion of privacy and nuisance.
Oh I see you backtracked away from the "all pictures of children are for paedo's use" angle.

Its ok to stick an ucking great 100 foot high wind generator in my garden tho, you like those I seem to recall.
Last edited by: Zero on Tue 21 Jul 15 at 10:45
"Oh I see you backtracked away from the "all pictures of children are for paedo's use" angle."

Where on earth did I state or imply that? And what's with the wild statements about wind generators?

Have you been sitting out in the sun too long?

Last edited by: CGNorwich on Tue 21 Jul 15 at 11:31

>> Where on earth did I state or imply that?

Do you really want a drone flown by your neighbours hovering over your back garden where your children are playing Implication.

>> And what's with the wild statements
>> about wind generators?

quote for me windfarms are no worse than all the other clutter of modern living and to my eyes have a certain aesthetic grace about them
I'm sorry. You appear to have lost the plot completely If you can't have a sensible conversation there is little point in having one at all.
Well if it stops you whining about a non-issue its a fantastic plot.
 No hands selfie camera - Old Navy
Apprently drone racing is taking off (groan) in the UK. There was a piece about it on Sky News a few days ago, they were racing around and through disused farm buildings.
 No hands selfie camera - VxFan
>> Apprently drone racing is taking off (groan) in the UK. There was a piece about
>> it on Sky News a few days ago,

news.sky.com/story/1521434/battle-in-the-skies-drone-racing-takes-off
 No hands selfie camera - Roger.

>> It will be legislated away. The only drones the authorities will tolerate is those controlled
>> by them.
>>

Britain - the camera surveillance number 1 in the developed world.

Is this the only time EVER I can give a green thumb to Zero?
 No hands selfie camera - Stuartli
>> Its only on pre-order at this time, but I am so getting one.

>> b***** marvelous.>>

Absolutely agree.

We have at least one professional drone operator in my part of the country and the footage of well known sites and areas is remarkable.
 No hands selfie camera - madf
My neighbour has a shotgun with a license.. Any drone over his or our property is likely to be met by a hail of buckshot...
 No hands selfie camera - Armel Coussine
The nephew has one. An expensive thing but an amusing toy and potentially useful in fact. He's taken some overhead footage here that makes us look like a bunch of gypsies.

No worse than that though. No one is doing anything illegal that can be spotted from the air. I wouldn't dream of shooting it.

Oddly enough there was a piece about drone racing on one of the channels last night. One teenager said that he identifies so intimately with his drone in flight that when it crashes he gets an emotional, almost physical shock. Perhaps someone my age would be at risk of a heart attack or stroke.

:o}
 No hands selfie camera - Stuartli
I know a number of pubs and clubs which feature a fair number of drones....:-)
 No hands selfie camera - sherlock47
>> I know a number of forums, pubs and clubs which feature a fair number of drones....:-)
>>
 No hands selfie camera - Pat
I can think of a forum or two.......

Pat
 No hands selfie camera - Armel Coussine
Perhaps they are all like this, but the nephew's drone is awfully clever. It always knows where it is by satellite location, and when it judges its batteries are running down it returns to where it took off and lands in a decorous manner to await recharging or a new battery pack.

He said I could have a go with it but I declined knowing it would be hard to learn to drive the thing. It's controlled by two four-way joysticks, too complicated for me to operate.

Perhaps one of the joysticks operates the little camera on gimbals underneath the thing. Amazing what can be made these days.
Last edited by: Armel Coussine on Tue 21 Jul 15 at 16:08
 No hands selfie camera - Haywain
"He said I could have a go with it but I declined knowing it would be hard to learn to drive the thing. It's controlled by two four-way joysticks, too complicated for me to operate. "

I suspect that it helps if you've spent a lot of time playing computer games. I nearly said 'wasted a lot of time', but maybe not if ultimately you can make a living from it.

While he was out filming in Myanmar earlier in the year, my son got an interesting selfie from the drone. He was in a market street near Mandalay with about 3 dozen amazed locals looking on.
Last edited by: Haywain on Tue 21 Jul 15 at 16:54
 No hands selfie camera - Focusless
Drone pilots warned after close call with passenger jet

An Airbus A320's wing passed 6m (20ft) below a drone hovering at Heathrow, said the Civil Aviation Authority.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-33612631
Latest Forum Posts