Non-motoring > Pasta...What am I missing? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Pat Replies: 110

Pasta...What am I missing? - Pat
I really don't get it, it's tasteless, feels like rubber or elastic bands and I don't know how to cook it.

I know I'm missing something somewhere, so as tomorrow is promising to be wet and windy, I'm prepared to have one more try.

I need your help and suggestions!

It has to be a final 'Pasta Bake' so it can go into the oven for around half an hour or more but I'm prepared to slave away in the kitchen and make it earlier in the day.

I have Stilton and Brie that needs using up.
Mushrooms
Leeks
Chicken
Ham
Bacon
Sausages
Broccoli
Tin of Mushroom soup
Tin of chicken soup, both condensed.

I don't have any cream and I don't intend using any either because it's the post holiday back to basics eating!

So come on you wiz kid cooks, tell me what to do with it........and I have garlic bread to serve it with, I suppose that's ok?

Pat

Pasta...What am I missing? - devonite
There are some nice ingredients there for various combination "pasta-bakes"!

I would probably make something like a "Maccaroni Chicken/mushroom bake using either of the soups for a cooking sauce.

Other combo's could include:
chicken/ham
ham/leek and broccolli,
etc, etc,

or you could use the cheese/Broccoli add a potato and make a nice soup!

Now i'm hungry!!!
 Pasta...What am I missing? - No FM2R
Do you like pasta that you've eaten elsewhere?

If you do, then what was it and can you cook that meal?

If you never like pasta, then there's probably no point so cook something you do lkke.

Last edited by: No FM2R on Mon 27 Jul 15 at 14:54
I've never eaten it elsewhere Mark!

Ian loves it but when I try and do it, it just seems dry and tasteless but he always eats it in the hope it will get better, I think.

I'm wary of cooking the chicken in the morning and then cooking it again in the oven early evening but like today, we were up at 1am and I really cannot bother to mess about cooking stuff at 5pm at night, I'm afraid.

That's why I stick to casseroles, liver and onions done in a casserole and mince and mash in the week.

Camion stew in the lorry cab was so much easier than this!
Pat
Last edited by: Pat on Mon 27 Jul 15 at 15:13
I am a crap cook, but when camping i boil pasta with salt, strain it and mix in some olive oil to stop it being dry or sticky.

I then mix it with whatever we fancy - tuna, mince in tomato sauce, beans etc etc.

Some times i bung it back on the fire and melt some cheese onto it. Sometimes i stir in some cheese sauce.

Sometimes mixed in with chilli or similar.

Basic, but the girls eat it and it tastes alright.
 Pasta...What am I missing? - Armel Coussine
Have you never been to Italy Pat? Modest restaurants there often serve pasta as a starter, usually spaghetti with a Neapolitan tomato sauce. We often eat it here, indeed had it for supper last night.

Cooking time is crucial for pasta. But cooking time varies with different brands and sizes of dry pasta, so one has to monitor it carefully while it's cooking. Expert cooks check by squeezing a strand between finger and thumb, and seeing how easily it comes apart. Perhaps it's more reliable to actually taste a bit.

Neapolitan sauce is vegetarian. I prefer it to Bolognese with meat, which is much more difficult to get right. Bung in some dried thyme, used tinned or fresh tomatoes (and some concentrate if you like), a bit of sugar and enough salt. Fresh basil, parsley or coriander on top.

I put a splash of olive oil in the pasta water too.

Another recipe that works is lardons, and if you like chopped garlic, fried and poured over the cooked pasta with their oil and enough of the water to keep it moist. Any cheese will do, Pecorino is fine, it doesn't have to be Parmesan. Some people put cream in too.

Pasta...What am I missing? - Ambo
All stringy pasta is easily cooked to the correct "al dente" consistency. If that is too "bitey" just boil it a bit longer:-

Boil plenty of water in a large pan and salt it. (Adding a tablespoon of oil is said to stop the strands sticking together but I am not sure about that.) Add the pasta, stir and bring back to the boil. Turn off the heat and leave for 10 mins. Drain into a colander. Add a tablespoon of good olive oil or a knob of butter to the pan, return the pasta to it and stir in with a spatula. Turn out for serving.

We eat it like this but sauce can be added at this stage. If we do, it will be half a jar of readymade stuff, mostly Dolmio. For lasagne, use the parboiled and dried sheets, which do not need boiling. Layer up in a deep dish with the same sauces and bake for 40 mins at Mark 4.
 Pasta...What am I missing? - Mapmaker
>>liver and onions done in a casserole

Ugh. I adore liver. But it must be cooked quickly, and still pink in the middle. Stewed it goes tough, TOUGHER, TOUGHEST!

Pasta only sticks when it is left sitting to go cold. There's no point adding olive oil to the cooking water, it makes no difference. If your pasta must sit, then add butter (or olive oil) at that point. I guess it might interfere with a tomato sauce, but it won't interfere with a fat-based sauce like carbonara.
Last edited by: Mapmaker on Tue 28 Jul 15 at 13:08
Pigs liver casseroled slowly absolutely melts in the mouth and the onion gravy is delicious.

You must eat at the wrong places Mapmaker.

Pat
 Pasta...What am I missing? - Zero
PIGS LIVER? YUK

Calf or lamb, very thinly sliced, quickly flash fried served with red wine, shallot and sage gravy and mustard mash.
 Pasta...What am I missing? - Observer
"PIGS LIVER? YUK

Calf or lamb..."

I'm inclined to agree. Pig's liver has an excessively strong, bitter taste. It's OK when mixed with other stuff as in a pate or something like that.

I prefer calf liver - sweeter, more delicate taste. Nice casseroled with bacon, with a touch of red wine in the gravy. Crumbly texture.
 Pasta...What am I missing? - Alanovich
>> LIVER? YUK
>>

End of discussion. Punishment food. Especially when you can see the tubes still in it.
"Punishment food."

I take it you don't like kidney? Heart?
No I do not. Offal stuff.

;-)

Tongue has to be the nadir of this nonsense though. I do not wish to taste something which can taste me back. Give it to the dog (lower case d).
Lambs liver for grilling or frying but Pigs liver for braising or 'stewing' as it's been called here today!

It's kidney which has tubes in it if not prepared properly.

Pat
>> It's kidney which has tubes in it if not prepared properly.

Evidently you didn't dine at the 5-star establishment which was my school dining room. Trust me, the liver had tubes in it. Come to think of it, it did at home as well. When my Mum described dinner as "liver and bacon", and the grey rubber thing on my plate had tubes in it, then I'm given to believe I was addressing a piece of liver. The bacon got eaten, the liver didn't, I got sent to my room in disgrace. Well worth it to dodge that scheisse.
Last edited by: Alanović on Tue 28 Jul 15 at 16:34
I ate a lot of liver cooked out of doors by a street food seller in Ghana once. It was very good and did me no harm, but I was very hungry at the time.

Hygiene is second nature to women who live like that, but men can be more cynical when selling to foreigners. Got some fish off a bloke once that had live maggots in it. My friends wanted to chase and hit him but he'd already scarpered of course greatly to my relief.... you don't want to be an accessory to involuntary manslaughter.
Last edited by: Armel Coussine on Tue 28 Jul 15 at 17:24
 Pasta...What am I missing? - sooty123
Come to think of it, it did at
>> home as well. When my Mum described dinner as "liver and bacon", and the grey
>> rubber thing on my plate had tubes in it, then I'm given to believe I
>> was addressing a piece of liver. The bacon got eaten, the liver didn't, I got
>> sent to my room in disgrace. Well worth it to dodge that scheisse.

I'm much of the same mind, had it as a child at home. No idea what animal it came from, all i can say is that it was utterly foul. Everything about it ; smell, taste, texture. Put me off liver for life. And kidney etc.
The cooking skills of our mothers have a lot to answer for..... For years I though Casserole and the Torrey Canyon oil slick were related.
Last edited by: Zero on Tue 28 Jul 15 at 17:51
>> The cooking skills of our mothers have a lot to answer for.....

Mine was a good cook apart from liver. It sticks in my mind as that food you really really didn't like as a child and still don't like it. Foul stuff.
>> >> The cooking skills of our mothers have a lot to answer for.....
>>
>> Mine was a good cook apart from liver. It sticks in my mind as that
>> food you really really didn't like as a child and still don't like it. Foul
>> stuff.
>>

Same here. She's still a brilliant cook. I've learnt a lot from her. But liver. No no no no no no no. Anyway up.
 Pasta...What am I missing? - CGNorwich
Given the choice between lambs liver and a fillet steak I would go for the liver every time Whenever I buy some I and amazed by how cheap it is to buy such a tasty food.

Don't really dislike any food if it's properly prepared, cooked and presented.

One of the great joys of life is surely experiencing new foods and drinks. even that stuff you though you din't like.
 Pasta...What am I missing? - Dog
I used to have it once a week at one time, and liver. I don't like the blimming stuff though, and used to have to eat it with the bacon so as to disguise the taste.
I take your point ......BUT, Ian had never eaten liver (since school) in his life until I cooked it for him and now he loves it!

Pat
>> I take your point ......BUT, Ian had never eaten liver (since school) in his life
>> until I cooked it for him and now he loves it!

Its that or the baked cardboard pasta. Rock and hard place.
He knows I hate cooking with a vengeance yet he always walks in the door to a hot meal, whatever the time of night:)

Pat
 Pasta...What am I missing? - Manatee
I thought you always cooked with a vengeance:)
>> He knows I hate cooking with a vengeance yet he always walks in the door
>> to a hot meal, whatever the time of night:)

Indeed, he's tried coming in later and later, yet that damn meal is always there waiting for him.
It's not easy you know!

The last I heard he was in Nottingham and would be home by 5.30PM, then he got held up at his last drop and that changed to 6.30pm. Here we are at 6.25 and he hasn't left the yard yet and that's 25 minutes away.

Now you can see why my Irish Stew works and your fancy, high falluting pasta recipes don't.

All because some spotty oik of a fork lift driver just HAD to have a half an hour tea break before he took one pallet off.

Pat

>> Now you can see why my Irish Stew works and your fancy, high falluting pasta
>> recipes don't.

I can have my pasta dishes from raw fridge ingredients to hot on the table in 25 minutes.

>> All because some spotty oik of a fork lift driver just HAD to have a
>> half an hour tea break before he took one pallet off.

If he was coming home to my pasta dish, he would have kicked the spotty youth up the 'arris and be on his way by now!
 Pasta...What am I missing? - The Melting Snowman
My missus and I were once invited to an evening meal and were presented with some sort of offal, I think it was liver but can't remember, it was many years ago. Neither of us would eat it, in the end we had a sandwich. We weren't invited back...
"... were once invited to an evening meal and were presented with some sort of offal..."

It was bit insensitive. Quite a few people with otherwise ordinary tastes don't like offal.

A bit like making seafood the main dish. Not everyone likes octopus rings and squid. And I won't touch shellfish - not even prawn.
Urgh, seafood - definitely not. Although the missus sometimes does fish fingers for my lunch. One of my favourites with chips and tomato sauce.
I'm so glad I eat proper food and don't have terrible fads apart from an aversion to obvious lengths of intestine, however succulent the gravy. Apart from them, I eat food.
 Pasta...What am I missing? - Old Navy
>>some sort of offal>>

>>Urgh, seafood>>

I take it you did not experience food rationing, a breakdown of the food supply chain might change your mind, and tastes.
>> >>some sort of offal>>
>>
>> >>Urgh, seafood>>
>>
>> I take it you did not experience food rationing

Did you ?

, a breakdown of the food supply
>> chain might change your mind, and tastes.
>>

I'm not sure it would tbh, I don't mind some fish. But mussles, cockles and all that sort of stuff no thanks even under rationing.
>> Did you ?

Yes, until I was almost a teenager, I can remember my mother queing up in the late 40s for my concentrated orange juice issue which came in medicine bottles.

Edit

I think she got Cod liver oil as well.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Tue 28 Jul 15 at 21:28
>> >> Did you ?
>>
>> Yes, until I was almost a teenager, I can remember my mother queing up in
>> the late 40s for my concentrated orange juice issue which came in medicine bottles.
>>

Really, I honestly never had you pegged as that old.

>>
>> Really, I honestly never had you pegged as that old.
>>

Remember food rationing did not end until the mid 50s.
> >> Really, I honestly never had you pegged as that old.
>> >>
>>
>> Remember food rationing did not end until the mid 50s.
>>

I know it didn't.
 Pasta...What am I missing? - Duncan
>> Remember food rationing did not end until the mid 50s.
>>

4th July 1954.
>> >> Did you ?
>>
>> Yes, until I was almost a teenager, I can remember my mother queing up in
>> the late 40s for my concentrated orange juice issue which came in medicine bottles.
>>
>> Edit
>>
>> I think she got Cod liver oil as well.
>>

I was rereading the thread and realised how much things have changed. From a child's issue of concentrated orange juice and cod liver oil (from the USA) to today's benefit based childhood where some claim poverty for not having a big TV or the latest electronic gadget.
Why is the old people always wibble on about "rationing" when you mention foods you don't like?
>> Why is the old people always wibble on about "rationing" when you mention foods you
>> don't like?
>>

Reminising, something they've done that most people haven't been through. And the old 'we got what we were given and we were grateful for it' etc.
Because you youngsters don't realise how comfortable your life has been.
>> Because you youngsters don't realise how comfortable your life has been.
>>

*said whilst shaking a walking stick*

>> *said whilst shaking a walking stick*
>>

Beware the old f*** with a weapon. :-)

Well Most importantly, specially for a pasta dish, you don't tell us what pasta you have!

Anyway pasta is two things. The Sauce and the pasta. Lets assume you have Spaghetti (or tubes or fuseli, or whatever)

You choice of stuff there is superb for pasta so here is two sauces to choose from

Chicken & Ham sauce
Slice the leeks and the mushrooms and sauté (fry at low temperature in a frying pan) in butter and veg or olive oil. (add some diced onion and garlic if you have any) for 5 mins, cut the chicken and ham into strips and brown in the pan. Add the chicken soup, thin with white wine (water i suppose if you don't have any) melt the stilton in cut up and throw int he broccoli, and then simmer. - keep stiring.

Throw the spaghetti in a pan of boiling water and follow instructions on the packet. When cooked, drain, dump into the sauce keeping warm in the frying pan, mix up and serve with the garlic bread. (oh stick the brie in the oven with the garlic bread to serve on the side.

Sausage Sauce: grill the sausages before hand and cut into slices. Use the leeks and mushrooms as previous recipe, using the mushroom soup this time.

Oh and BTW NEVER EVER DO A PASTA BAKE. you end up with tasteless stuff wight he consistency of cardboard.
Last edited by: Zero on Mon 27 Jul 15 at 15:20
>>Oh and BTW NEVER EVER DO A PASTA BAKE. you end up with tasteless stuff wight he consistency of cardboard.

Why would anybody want to go to the lengths of reconstituting pasta in order to stick it in the oven to dry it out again? Might as well eat the pasta straight out of the packet.

As for offal, I think there is no parts of an animal that I have not eaten and would not eat again. I have written here before of my liking for andouillettes which are intestine sausage. Brain is an absolute favourite (Daquise in South Ken do them marvellously). I've only ever eaten fish eyes, not animal eyes. I'm not sure there's much to eat on them.
 Pasta...What am I missing? - Bromptonaut

>> As for offal, I think there is no parts of an animal that I have
>> not eaten and would not eat again.

I'd agree with that. Certainly kidney, liver and heart, at least from a lamb are all delicious. Liver needs to be cooked lightly and carefully. One reason people go off it is due to it being served grossly over cooked either at school or by parents brought up to remove any hint of pink from cooked meat.

PS. What happened to pork chops with a bit of kidney attached. You never see them these days.
>>PS. What happened to pork chops with a bit of kidney attached. You never see them these days.

Quite. Utterly delicious - curiously, pork kidney, which I would normally regard as being a bit much even for me! (Unless cooked Chinese style.)

Ox heart, served flash fried. Ox kidney readily available from Waitrose; better cooked long. Steak and kidney pie shouldn't have lamb kidney in it (it always does) as the kidney goes tough.
 Pasta...What am I missing? - Slidingpillar
Interesting.

Forget the soups, the chicken and the sausages. Make a basic cheese sauce with the cheeses but keep a little stilton back for the topping. (Cheese sauce is white sauce with cheese in...).
Slightly undercook the pasta and the broccoli but cook the bacon fully. Mix in the ham (it's already cooked).
Cover in the cheese sauce and put the aforementioned stilton on top.
Finish off in oven, or even the grill, you want to just brown the melted cheese basically.

Watch the seasoning carefully, stilton is a very salty cheese, I'd get the cheese fully melted in before a taste to asses if any more salt was needed and until that stage, do a salt free white sauce.

I don't usually cook with recipes, I just do it.
I have Conchigli, Fusilli and Spirali which is what I used last time but I really do need to make it in the morning and pop it in the oven (or microwave) when Ian gets home.

Think Haynes Manual here please! How do you mean put the Brie in the oven? ...and do what with it?

I like the sound of both of those!

Pat
No, I've never been to Italy AC, and I'm not over keen on 'tomato based' sauces. Tomatoes should be picked fresh from the greenhouse like I did today and eaten with a dash of salt on every bite while wandering round the garden!

But...I do have Parmesan and Wensleydale too, I've remembered.

Pat
>> No, I've never been to Italy AC, and I'm not over keen on 'tomato based' sauces.

Any decent Italian cookbook will have lots of non-tomato-based pasta sauce recipes.

I take your point about tomatoes Pat, but they can be very nice cooked.

I don't like fusilli or any other convoluted form of pasta. I like it in long strands. It's easier to get the cooking time right.
>> I don't like fusilli or any other convoluted form of pasta. I like it in long strands.

There's an exception: 'orecchie', ears, like little ears. They're quite delicate and hold sauce nicely.
>> I have Conchigli, Fusilli and Spirali which is what I used last time

Any of those are fine
>> but I
>> really do need to make it in the morning and pop it in the oven
>> (or microwave) when Ian gets home.

Which is why it always turns out horrible. It needs to be cooked fresh in slightly salted water. Honestly Pat its the work of 15 minutes max to boil pasta. You can make the sauce in the morning and heat it up at night.

>> Think Haynes Manual here please! How do you mean put the Brie in the oven?
>> ...and do what with it?

You put it in a dish and you bake it in the oven with the garlic bread (I assume its a frozen 12 minute garlic bread) - you can then eat it with a spoon or heap it hot onto onto your garlic bread
Right, I'm going to have a go at this tonight and I've read through all the advice a couple of times and think I've got it straight in my head now.

Boil pasta in lots of salted water and keep stirring.

Everything else fry in pan ( I don't sauté!) and then combine.

Just one thing Z said >> You can make the sauce in the morning and heat it up at night. <<

The chicken and ham will be in that pan and I'm really not sure about re-heating chicken, is there a way round it short of doing it all tonight?

Pat

>> Just one thing Z said >> You can make the sauce in the morning and
>> heat it up at night. <<
>>
>> The chicken and ham will be in that pan and I'm really not sure about
>> re-heating chicken, is there a way round it short of doing it all tonight?

What chicken you using? frozen thighs or breasts? legs? a whole bird?
Frozen breast strips or pieces.

Shall I just fry that off while the pasta is boiling ( it says 15 minutes on the packet from frozen?) and then add the pre-made sauce to the pan to heat it up?

I'm too old for this.....

Pat
>> Frozen breast strips or pieces.
>>
>> Shall I just fry that off while the pasta is boiling ( it says 15
>> minutes on the packet from frozen?) and then add the pre-made sauce to the pan
>> to heat it up?
>>
>> I'm too old for this.....
>>
>> Pat

Yes that will do fine
 Pasta...What am I missing? - Manatee
Sacrilege I'm sure, and I've never been offered it in Italy, but for our stand-by spag bol we have used dried wholemeal spaghetti for many years. It feels a bit healthier than the white variety and there's always plenty of sauce.

We never put salt in pasta now but we are used to vegetables without it - once I would have grimaced at unsalted potatoes, now I am inured to them and we never add salt to spuds or boiled/steamed veg.

I make four portions of the sauce at a time and freeze half. I usually include vegetables in the sauce e.g. chopped celery, grated carrot, peppers, mushrooms. When we want a quick meal I use some of the frozen sauce and boil the spaghetti for 10 minutes. Not fine dining or at all authentic but fills a corner and quite healthy!

I always chuck a bit of oil in the water, and the boss always tells me I shouldn't. It's a little ritual.

My son came on Monday and in less than an hour, with me chopping vegetables, he had knocked up a fantastic vegetable lasagne using 'fresh' pasta from Asda, passata, chopped toms, parmesan, cheddar, mozarella, sundried tomatoes, courgettes, those big purple things I can never remember the name of*, onions, peppers, garlic etc.

About 10 minutes chopping and slicing, 15 minutes roasting the vegetables with some oil, 10 minutes to layer up and 20 minutes in the oven. That could be pre-assembled and left in the fridge or frozen to save time of course.

*aubergines! the clue is the colour...
Last edited by: Manatee on Wed 29 Jul 15 at 10:38
Pat, not made a basic spaghetti cheese? My take is just a variation on that basically.

It's quick to make and would spoil if one kept and re-heated it really as the pasta will become a one with the sauce.
I agree with the guys above, putting pasta in the oven will kill it. Boil it in lightly salted water for 15 minutes strain and dump a warm sauce on it. So easy even I can do it. :-)
Last edited by: Old Navy on Mon 27 Jul 15 at 15:57
Such ignorance displayed here!

For boiled pasta, you don't put oil in when you boil it. This stops the sauce sticking to the pasta. You continually stir the pasta to stop it sticking to itself.

As any Italian will tell you, the relationship between the pasta and its sauce is crucial.

Which leads on to the choice of the shape of the pasta. Generally speaking, the lumpier or chunkier the sauce, the bigger and more complex the pasta shape should be. So a rich sauce with sausage pieces would be accompanied by something like rigatoni, a big, ridged tube that allows the sauce to get inside and stick in the grooves. A smooth creamy sauce would go with tagliatelli. A smooth tomato passata sauce - think spaghetti, fusilli.

Add the oil on the plate - a flavoured kind (like chilli, basil, lemon) if desired. Grate parmesan if desired. Freshly-ground black pepper. No way should pasta ever taste bland - but you have to take steps to ensure that.
 Pasta...What am I missing? - legacylad
I'm not a great cook. Incredibly lazy actually. If hungry I just eat shredded wheat or cornflakes normally! But, I just boil some wholemeal pasta, fry up peppers, field mushrooms & chopped garlic, sometimes bacon pieces, add a hot spicy sauce, tip the lot into the pasta, then serve up with fresh ground black pepper & grated Parmesan.
My go to meal in winter.
Left overs are frozen & microwaved later. Normally after staggering in from t'pub.
Some evenings dinner is poured. Or a ham sandwich later, which just about sums up my culinary skills.
 Pasta...What am I missing? - Ambo
Pat, I forgot there is a pasta dish ideal for miscellaneous ingredients. It is called pasticcio (mixup) and we use pasta shells, cooked as above. Combine selected ingredients in a cream or cheese sauce, cook and pour over the freshly turned out pasta.
That sounds good Ambo.

Pat
For boiled pasta, you don't put oil in when you boil it. This stops the sauce sticking to the pasta. You continually stir the pasta to stop it sticking to itself.

While I can find many internet pages that back this up, I disagree. It doesn't take much oil, but a little bit in the water you cook the pasta in does help. The most usual and biggest mistake to make though is not using a big enough pan for the water. Pasta expands when cooked and you want a lot of spare space - helps tremendously to stop it sticking to itself.
never had sticking pasta, never used oil. no idea why
>> never had sticking pasta, never used oil. no idea why
>>
>>

Because you are using a big pot and lots of water. No oil required. As said above the sauce won't stick to pasta with oil on it.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Mon 27 Jul 15 at 19:34
I keeps my food simple. Now and again I'll boil some pasta in salted water for about nine minutes, drain well and add olive oil and chopped chives. I'll do some bangers in the oven, cut them up and stick them in the saucepan with the bangers + some fresh martyrs with rooms [mush] mix that lot up and serve.
Horrid stuff, slimey and tasteless. I would rather have a bowl of chips.
>> Horrid stuff, slimey and tasteless.

S'ok, you never go abroad, no need to eat that foreign muck.

>> I would rather have a bowl of chips.

Unfortunately the best chips in the world are in Belgium.

>> Unfortunately the best chips in the world are in Belgium.

Yes. You have to hit the chippy at the right moment to get decent ones here.

In Belgium they come with a bowl of moules marinière if that's what you like, and I do. You have to watch out for the odd bad mussel though. Never ever open one that hasn't opened by itself.
 Pasta...What am I missing? - Roger.
Pasta is vile stuff.
Boiled flour.
Nothing that pasta does in carrying sauces cannot be done better by mashed potatoes!

Pasta...What am I missing? - PeterS
>> Pasta is vile stuff.
>> Boiled flour.
>> Nothing that pasta does in carrying sauces cannot be done better by mashed potatoes!
>>
>>

I haven't tried it, but I'm willing to bet that the sauce we had tonight (king prawns, scallops, fresh tomatoes, onion, chilli, garlic and olive oil) with home made linguini (flour and egg..) would have been virtually inedible if served with mashed potato...

The only potatoes worth eating are Jersey royals with lashings of butter, in my opinion :p
>> Pasta is vile stuff.
>> Boiled flour.
>> Nothing that pasta does in carrying sauces cannot be done better by mashed potatoes!

Mashed potato lasagne? Interesting.
 Pasta...What am I missing? - MD
>> Pasta is vile stuff.
>> Boiled flour.
>>
What Horlicks is that!
>> Pasta is vile stuff.
>> Boiled flour.

Out of the choices - boiled, fried or baked - boiled is by far the best.

No good stew is complete without dumplings.

And the Czechs are so keen on them that you get slices off a loaf of dumpling stuff along with your slices of perfectly roasted pork...

I use self-raising flour and the odd pinch of herbs. Chacun à son gôut.
>>Never ever open one that hasn't opened by itself.

Too late!!!!!!!!
I like chips. But not with pasta.
Sweet potato chips ( or fries, if you must) with a Swissburger....half pound venison burger, cheese, fried onions & mushrooms, sliced tomayto & a few lettuce leaves in a bun. Perfect after a days walking. Washed down with several bottles of very cold beer.

>> cheese, mushrooms, sliced tomayto & a few lettuce leaves

Have no place in a Burger.
Why not? A bread bun with just a circular piece of dead cow/ Bambi squashed between doesn't really appeal. Do you have a downer on red sauce on the fries too? I can't imagine a burger without red sauce on the fries. And cold beer.
Which reminds me... I need to pop out to In & Out Burger soon cos I can't be bothered cooking
>> Why not? A bread bun with just a circular piece of dead cow/ Bambi squashed
>> between doesn't really appeal.

The bun should be brioche, toasted. You are not just dumping a slice of dead bambi in it, a burger should be a delightfully seasoned mix of minced flesh and fat with some herbs in it.

>> Do you have a downer on red sauce on the fries
>> too? I can't imagine a burger without red sauce on the fries. And cold beer.

of course. however try mayonnaise! (NOT e***** SALAD CREAM)
 Pasta...What am I missing? - Cliff Pope
>> never had sticking pasta, never used oil. no idea why
>>
>>

Not even when cooking a lot of lasagne? You need to do a lot of nifty juggling with a slice to stop the sheets from sticking together.
There's only one thing worse than lasagne with the sheets glued together and that's mashed potato with lumps in it.
 Pasta...What am I missing? - Dutchie
Not keen on pasta never have been.I don't mind macaroni the way my mother used to make it.I couldn't repeat that recipe for the live of me.That reminds me of a good song from the Irish actor Richard Harris.That recipe again.
 Pasta...What am I missing? - Focusless
>> a good song from the Irish actor Richard Harris.That recipe again.

youtu.be/z6a_KFJ5Ksc?t=60

>> Not even when cooking a lot of lasagne? You need to do a lot of
>> nifty juggling with a slice to stop the sheets from sticking together.

Not even.
Dying to know what Pat eventually did.
 Pasta...What am I missing? - MD
When she gets back from A&E.....:)
Cold pork pickle and new potatoes last night!

I had intended to do it today but we've been up since 1.30am and Ian won't be home much before 7pm so it will be Lamb stew and mash tonight....stays in the oven forever and just gets better.

He can only do 3 x 15 hours in a week so by Thursday he should be earlier home and I will try it then, without putting it in the oven, and see if it works better.

Off to hide the Brie and Stilton so I don't eat it now:)

Pat
>> Cold pork pickle and new potatoes last night!
>>
>> I had intended to do it today but we've been up since 1.30am and Ian
>> won't be home much before 7pm so it will be Lamb stew and mash tonight....stays
>> in the oven forever and just gets better.

He is such a saint that Ian. There he was promised, at last, the delightfully cooked pasta he loves, and he ends up with cold meat and pickle, followed by an over stewed stew.

I had a fantastic fry up breakfast at a transport cafe the other day - Choppers, on the A346 at Burbage Wiltshire
He's well used to it Z:)

Is that still going? It always was a good one!

Pat

>>
>> Not even.
>>

Do tell me the secret please. Salty water?
I don't know the answer, I have never had the problem so never had to cure it.

I use a largish pan sure, the water is boiling and salted before the pasta goes in, it never gets dumped in all in one go, its fed in. It gets stirred regularly with a slotted spoon.

Never had it stick.

>> I use a largish pan sure, the water is boiling and salted before the pasta
>> goes in, it never gets dumped in all in one go, its fed in. It
>> gets stirred regularly with a slotted spoon.
>>

I agree. The pasta must have room to move freely in the boiling water and it will not stick.
The sticking occurs after the cooking if the pasta is left to stand, which around here it often is.
Ah, foreigners. No idea, it should be served immediately lubricated with a tasty sauce. :-)
Last edited by: Old Navy on Tue 28 Jul 15 at 10:24
 Pasta...What am I missing? - Dutchie
It's simple to cook not that keen to eat.You are right about the sauce or tomato ketchup in my case or are they the same? >:)
>> sauce or
>> tomato ketchup in my case or are they the same? >:)
>>

If you have to ask, then yes, they are the same. :)
 Pasta...What am I missing? - helicopter
Funnily enough,I asked SWMBO what she had planned for dinner tonight and she said pasta.

Currently the smell of onions frying with mushrooms is permeating through from the kitchen.
I am advised that sun dried tomato and fresh garlic will be added to the chunks of chicken in the sauce.

The pasta itself is fusili spirals.

Summer pudding with double cream to follow.

I am about to pour a glass of chilled Pinot Grigio to accompany ........
I was going to do pasta with turkey breasts (I like breasts) plus mushrooms and tomatoes, but I shoved some chips in the oven instead and served them with Heinz beanz washed down with a 2015 ASDA Ceylon.
 Pasta...What am I missing? - Ted

We had conchiglie with a spicy tomato, mushroom and cayenne pepper sauce over chunks of Chorizo sausage. A nice bottle of Merlot went down well and cooled the old mouth.

For a treat, seek out a good deli...I get much nicer pasta from a local place where it's imported from Italy. None of yer supermarket standard stuff. The difference is amazing.

My own signature dish is spoon sized chunks of chicken breast fried in the big frypan or the wok with onion and garlic. When browned, I add a tin of chopped tomatoes and a squirt of puree.

Add any old veg from the fridgidaire...spring onions, sliced courgettes, cherry toms...that sort of thing. Lace with chopped herbs and a teaspoon of cayenne pepper. I make it earlier in the day and put on a pan of pasta when SWM gets home. Then mix the pasta in with the chicken which has been heating up. A splash of wine or cream makes it even nicer.

Signature dish ?........It's me only dish...with variations !
That sounds rather nice Teddy, I might give e'e a go. Good to see you're a breast man like me, nudge, nudge.
 Pasta...What am I missing? - Ted

Anything with a pulse, Bonz !
It was a success, I suppose!

Pasta was lovely and moist and certainly the bigger saucepan worked a treat.

The sauce and chicken were good but needed more garlic and some stronger Stilton next time.

The garlic bread with melted Brie was my favourite and I don't think I'll ever eat naked garlic bread again.

Ian loved it and one of the cats finished mine off so it must have been ok.

I think I know what it is I don't like about it now......I prefer to have a forkful of one thing, then a different thing and so on.

A plate of all the same ingredients mixed up together with nothing else 'on the side, isn't really for me.

...but I will do it again.

Thanks for the advice, it was much appreciated:)

Pat
>> It was a success, I suppose!

Horay! pressure would have been on us if it had been a dis ah ster dahling!

>> The garlic bread with melted Brie was my favourite and I don't think I'll ever
>> eat naked garlic bread again.

Try this next time. Garlic bread with chopped tomatoes, chopped basil, salt and pepper.

Ok now you have got the basic idea right get lots of tins of chopped tomatoes, and any food left over from the weekend goes into the frying pan with the frying onions and garlic, empty the tin of chopped tomatoes in, heat it up and onto the pasta.
Fussy gyt then.

:)
Glad it worked (ish), a bit of tinkering and you will have a quick, easy, delicious, filling meal added to your range of skills. Black pepper and grated Parmesan adds to the taste, or a squirt of Tabasco in the sauce if you like it spicy.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Thu 30 Jul 15 at 08:35
>> Glad it worked (ish), a bit of tinkering and you will have a quick, easy,
>> delicious, filling meal added to your range of skills.

And who knows, Ian might even start coming home......
Latest Forum Posts