Non-motoring > yet another cautionary tale! Miscellaneous
Thread Author: devonite Replies: 8

yet another cautionary tale! - devonite
last week, I took a telephone call from a very well spoken, very professional sounding English chap, who purported to be a Options trading broker.

Never would I indulge in this sort of thing, (apart from an ISA or two) and never over the 'phone, but basically he wanted to introduce me to the world of trading, and after several minutes of "speel" and coercing, he obviously realised he was getting nowhere and said he would send me a welcome pack to read and call me back next week.
Well that was today, very pleasant and polite, asked me if I had read the pack, and if i was ready to start trading with him. I told him I didn't know enough about it to risk 5k (the standard investment), to be reassuringly told "that's what i do - I take care of your investments", as a new Client I would not ask you for the usual investment, but only allow you to trade with up to £500, you can pay now via credit card if you would prefer and I can help you choose your first options whilst I'm speaking to you" - Cut long story, hung up. Something didn't feel right!

Decided to do a bit of a check-up on them:

Welcome Pack ( printed badly on good quality watermarked paper, Headers were in feint and body in bold, No Company details, only a logo, was signed off with Kind regards and Godspeed, Fraser Christian Forbes / Account Manager.

Companies House (Never been registered, even tho' they claim to be "One the UK's biggest trading companies, with Global business")

Checked their Web Address:

Very Sparce, basically just an app designed to make it easy for you to pay, all-sorts of promises and safeguards liberally applied.
In the "About us" section (very feint type at bottom of page) It states they are a "Brand of *** *********" a Company that a Google search fails to find, and that the address given turns out to be a "Complex of (business) Suites" in Anguila. A legitimate Business that has the same address uses the suite no's (19 + 20) in it's address. whilst these only use the P.O box.
They do emphasise in their disclaimer that "Options trading may result in partial or total loss of investments" ( That is probably one of their truest statements!! )
Question is: Forget it - I've not been scammed, or pursue it further in some way - how?

And I must thank the hairs on my neck for standing up for me! - don't be fooled -Even very polite, professional sounding English folk can be Scammers as well.
 yet another cautionary tale! - No FM2R
The thing is surely that even if it were totally legit, that there was no funny business at all, it would still be a dumb idea to invest money in a company/broker that one knows nothing about?

>>Question is: Forget it - I've not been scammed, or pursue it further in some way - how?

Just tell people. Forewarn them. Although I worry about the thinking of the person who would fall for this.
Believe me, he was very very good! - I can see A LOT of less savvy folk saying "Well go on then i'll have £500 quids worth, he made it sound safe and easy (my hairs are rising again) buy a commodity, lock it in for a month (at first) guess whether it will be worth more at the end of time period - win! guess it's less - win! guess wrong - lose!
>>Believe me, he was very very good!

I don't doubt it for one moment.

But why would anybody invest in anything that unknown, irrespective of how legitimate?
But why would anybody invest in anything that unknown, irrespective of how legitimate?

Coerced? greed? feel bullied by the wordplay? - I dunno, meeker folk may!
I guess.

Which takes us back to what you should do;

I think tell people, post it as a cautionary tale as you did here, just generally spread the word.
 yet another cautionary tale! - Ambo
Forget it. I guess it is too carefully hidden for you to get at.
 yet another cautionary tale! - Slidingpillar
Are you a member of your local neighbourhood watch? Mine would happily pass this cautionary tale on.
Had chat with local T/Standards chap this morning on the 'phone, He seems quite interested in looking into it, especially as there is mobile No for contact purposes! may lead directly to a person.

Fingers crossed!
Latest Forum Posts