Non-motoring > charged to recycle non-household waste ? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: henry k Replies: 11

charged to recycle non-household waste ? - henry k
www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-surrey-33719307

Suggested charges for non-household waste include £4 per tyre, £15.50 per gas bottle, £3 for a 20kg bag of rubble and £7.50 for each sheet of asbestos.

Is this the first council to suggest this or is it common elsewhere ?
 charged to recycle non-household waste ? - Zero
"commercial" waste is already charged. Commercial is any van that wont fit through the restrictors at the site. If they start charging householders for the odd tyre or gas bottle then Surrey will be awash with fly tipped rubbish.
 charged to recycle non-household waste ? - henry k
Joined up thinking?
IIRC there is already a limit on the amount of rubble but it is not enforced.
I have an image of s/h loos appearing in beauty spots :-)
Tyres will get fly tipped or cut up and and go in the land fill bin.
If folks are good enough to transport a reasonable amount of "stuff" then shirley that should be encouraged ?

This week, car battery, bag of misc batteries, a TV, plasterboard, engine oil, a small bag of rubble and bags of garden clippings and delivered to the tip and put in correct places.
With the exception of the car battery that would be taken by fairies who visit the road, all the rest could have gone in the bin!!!
 charged to recycle non-household waste ? - CGNorwich
Norfolk CC have made similar charges for certain items for years. eg £2.50 per tyre with max of 5 per month
Seems reasonable to me.
 charged to recycle non-household waste ? - Bobby
Who changes their own car tyres???
Surely these all happen at commercial premises and they should be disposing of the old tyre? In fact I am sure last time there was a charge on my receipt for disposal?

Waste refuse is a huge issue for Councils with loads of recycling targets to meet that , in most cases, are just simply not realistic.

So if you as a council welcome all waste, you need to dispose of it, recycle it etc. Most of the proper recycling is being done by the commercial companies who have invested in the technology to do it. But then this means the Council need to pay them to process their waste!

So some are doing as mentioned by the OP and discouraging Joe Public from bringing their waste up. But anyone with half a brain cell knows that this will lead to dumping. Personally I could never see myself doing such a thing but it may be that many folk wouldn't think twice about doing it.

Some Councils up here give one or two free uplifts a year but after that you need to pay - so as a Charity who sell furniture in our charity shops, we get more and more "donations" of furniture that when we go to collect we need to refuse as it is obvious that they are just trying to use us as their free uplift service!

This overall problem is going to get worse and worse until they remove non-recyclable products from the supply chain.
 charged to recycle non-household waste ? - Fenlander
I use the local recycling centre a couple of times a month. The other week I was asked to complete a survey that the guy told me was related to changing the way recycling operated. That included questions about users views on being charged for certain items.

Before that comes I would want to see a stop to the Friday afternoon queue of vans offloading their weeks rubbish for a backhander.
 charged to recycle non-household waste ? - Ambo
Garden waste is charged for in my area, via a green bin hire fee of about £20 for a season (April to November). Collection is fortnightly.
 charged to recycle non-household waste ? - Slidingpillar
Who changes their own car tyres???
Surely these all happen at commercial premises and they should be disposing of the old tyre? In fact I am sure last time there was a charge on my receipt for disposal?

Mei! But only on the vintage car. Wear stout boots and using a lorry tire as a workbench. Which I got for free from a commercial tyre place, and as they have to pay to dipose of them, would let me have as many as I wanted.

I was shown how by a one man band tyre shop. Unfortunatly he sold up and the guy who bought it was not a patch on him.
 charged to recycle non-household waste ? - Falkirk Bairn
Commercial waste charges are steep. Last full time employer had small office - 800 sq feet, 2 of us + meeting room and the rates were £10K per year - waste which amounted to very little was another £10-15 per week, Solved that - cancelled and brought a black sack home weekly and stuffed it in the bin.

Water & sewage was again a rip-off at something like £4,000 per year - £80 per week for 2 kettles of water and a few gallons for the toilet per day.

Moan we may do about domestic rates, water etc etc the shops & commercial taxes are way out of line.
 charged to recycle non-household waste ? - Roger.
We have a "rubbish" bin and a "recycling" bin.
I believe (E&OE) that both loads go to the currently used landfill!
 charged to recycle non-household waste ? - Bobby
FB, our charity shops do not create their own waste other than maybe a milk carton and some biscuit wrappers that the manager could take home and put in her own bin.

However most of our shops have 1100litre wheeled bins that get emptied a couple of times a week. This is full of items that people donate to us but we can't sell, whether they are broken, don't comply with laws etc etc.

I have pleaded with the council that theoretically all this stuff could be in the householders wheelie bin anyway and that we shouldn't be charged for disposal but it is falling on deaf ears.

charged to recycle non-household waste ? - Slidingpillar
My brothers shop can get rid of cardboard for no fee (a private firm locally wants the stuff) but is charged for everything else. Oddly both my and my brothers home bins fill up a bit at times...
Latest Forum Posts