Non-motoring > Cilla Black dies, aged 72 Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Observer Replies: 71

Cilla Black dies, aged 72 - Observer
tinyurl.com/o5ejxq9
 Cilla Black dies, aged 72 - Zero
BBC seems reluctant to confirm this, as of time of writing this post, no mention on the BBC web site or the lunchtime news.
 Cilla Black dies, aged 72 - Dutchie
That is a bit of a shock at her age.Followed her songs from the sixties a bit hard to believe she is dead.Accident or what, she looked very fit and healthy.
 Cilla Black dies, aged 72 - Observer
Reuters says the BBC has confirmed it. Seems odd the BBC site doesn't. Confirmed by local police, says The Telegraph.

tinyurl.com/naoh5qo
Last edited by: Observer on Sun 2 Aug 15 at 13:15
 Cilla Black dies, aged 72 - Dutchie
Sky just reporting her death natural cause.
 Cilla Black dies, aged 72 - Dog
Surprise Surprise ... shock actually.
 Cilla Black dies, aged 72 - No FM2R
Shame. Another distinctive character bites the dust.
 Cilla Black dies, aged 72 - Skip
I never really thought that she had much in the way of talent, but RIP anyway Cilla

Last edited by: Skip on Sun 2 Aug 15 at 14:07
 Cilla Black dies, aged 72 - Cliff Pope
but RIP
>> anyway Cilla
>>
>>

The expression " RIP" used correctly for once, as she was indeed a Roman Catholic by upbringing.

Protestants should not use RIP, as it is linked to the concept of Purgatory, which does not exist in Protestantism. For Protestants, the soul passes immediately either to heaven or to hell, so it would be pointless praying for it, as it would already be too late for intercession.
 Cilla Black dies, aged 72 - Clk Sec
Sad news. I was a fan of hers in the 60s. Had her 'photo on my locker for a good while during military service.
 Cilla Black dies, aged 72 - Roger.
>> Sad news. I was a fan of hers in the 60s. Had her 'photo on
>> my locker for a good while during military service.
>>

Good grief!
 Cilla Black dies, aged 72 - Armel Coussine
She had a deep growling voice, very strong. A Scouse accent sounds a hundred times better on the lips of a girl than a man, but I always found the 'Mersey sound' a bit annoying at best. Nevertheless I still remember the first couple of phrases from 'Anyone who had a heart'.
 Cilla Black dies, aged 72 - BiggerBadderDave
Why oh why oh why did it have to be Cilla and not Paul O'Grady?

She had a few good hits early on, You're My World was a belter.

Shame.
 Cilla Black dies, aged 72 - Skip
>> Why oh why oh why did it have to be Cilla and not Paul O'Grady?

I am still waiting for that prick to keep his promise and leave the country as he said he would if his beloved Labour party didn't win the election!
 Cilla Black dies, aged 72 - Robin O'Reliant
Tara chuck.

Bit too much of a professional scouser for me.
 Cilla Black dies, aged 72 - CGNorwich
Cilla was part of a small number of UK female pop singers of her era. Dusty Springfield, Sandy Shaw, Lulu, Helen Shapiro and Petula Clark spring to mind. Thre was always one of them on TOTP.
>> Cilla was part of a small number of UK female pop singers of her era.
>> Dusty Springfield, Sandy Shaw, Lulu, Helen Shapiro and Petula Clark spring to mind. Thre was
>> always one of them on TOTP.

Helen Shapiro. now there was a talent that was never allowed to blossom, she would have eclipsed all of them with some good management. Fantastic blues and Jazz singer in later years far better range than all of those mentioned. As good as Dusty.
>> Paul O'Grady?

WHO HE, I said. Well who, FFS? Never heard of him.
Oh you will love him - right up your street I should think.

www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00jm03v
 Cilla Black dies, aged 72 - Focusless
>> >> Paul O'Grady?
>>
>> WHO HE, I said. Well who, FFS? Never heard of him.

Originally known as Lily Savage:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ye2RdnIyerQ

He's had 2 heart attacks.
>> Originally known as Lily Savage:
>> www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ye2RdnIyerQ

Ah, him... I remember now. Not really an aficionado of drag artistes...
On la Black (maiden name White!), she made her three-score and ten anyway. But night-club singers tend to die a bit young as often as not, all those late nights and cigarettes. One assumes the Cavern would have been a pretty smoky place with perfunctory ventilation, and of course they were all on pills and dope.

Likeable, genial personality to all appearances. There's a new contralto in the heavenly choir.
 Cilla Black dies, aged 72 - Manatee
Not very genial offstage by all accounts, at least in her later years. I never much liked her singing either, chalk on a blackboard to me. I preferred Dusty's version of AWHAH, even Sheridan Smith's version was better.

Concur with Z re Helen Shapiro. Phenonmenal, apparently effortless power in contrast with Cilla's strangled screech. Saw her with Humph's band at the Stables, MK a good few years ago now, and still play my Humph'n' Helen CD.
>> I preferred Dusty's version of AWHAH,

Of course. Dusty was cool and swung (I don't mean swung 'both ways', although I understand she did as it happens). By contrast there was a sort of twittering bubblegum chipmunkish edge to the Mersey sound, even the Beatles when not on their best form.
Last edited by: Armel Coussine on Sun 2 Aug 15 at 16:58
Old friend, sometime employer, fellow Africa hack and nth-generation southern Irish Protestant once intended for the Anglo-Irish cloth, stayed the other night with his missus, who is a Catholic from Dundalk on the Ireland/NI border.

She has a powerful contralto voice and was lead singer of two ephemeral bands, Gringo and Thunder Thighs. One of those albums has a lyric based on a poem of mine.

I think her voice is similar to Cilla Black's, but Herself disagrees.
>> I think her voice is similar to Cilla Black's, but Herself disagrees.

Herself seems to be right as so often. The Cilla Black clips on the box earlier were surprisingly light. Perhaps an effect of the sound in a different mode or whatever they call it. I thought I remembered her being loud sometimes.

Anyway our Irish buddy has a much richer, more resonant and powerful voice.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykd7172CUeA
www.youtube.com/watch?v=hsGTPXx0zmw
 Cilla Black dies, aged 72 - Bobby
This one fell into the category of so many celeb deaths I hear about where my first reaction is "did I know she was still alive?"
>> www.youtube.com/watch?v=hsGTPXx0zmw

Worth hearing a live version, albeit from 1973 (You're My World):
www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBZTNVpe-Mw
Last edited by: Focusless on Sun 2 Aug 15 at 20:23
= = = > www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCc00pX_pFA < = = =

;-)
>> = = = > www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCc00pX_pFA < = = =
>>
>> ;-)

Smiley noted, but is there some connection to Cilla there I'm missing?
Both were Crème de la crème, in their own way.
gotcha :)
 Cilla Black dies, aged 72 - John Boy
I've no idea whether or not she was a good singer. I only remember seeing her on the programme Blind Date. Apparently she wasn't the first choice to compere that programme. The first person who did it was unable to handle the innuendo that it generated, but Cilla did it admirably. I expect I'm in a minority of one, however, in admitting to ever watching her in that role.

:-)
 Cilla Black dies, aged 72 - Roger.
Cue for a TV Cilla-fest, with all the luvvies queuing up to get their two pennyworth in.

Not a bad singer in her genre, good TV hostess of a couple of LCD shows.

Too early to pop one's clogs though.

>> I expect I'm in a minority of one, however, in admitting to ever watching her in that role.

At least two, I used to watch it every week. My house mate at the time was on there once, although 10 years later he was still being ridiculed for it. We still bring it up from time to time.

I found Surprise Surprise a bit toe curling though.

Never found her to be one of my musical tastes, a bit limited in style and prone to be shouty. She did appear however to be capable of having the common touch and connect with people.

Surprise Surprise tho as a concept and in execution was vomit inducing.

>> Surprise Surprise tho as a concept and in execution was vomit inducing.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=-daVEcm4PLA
 Cilla Black dies, aged 72 - Alanovich
>> My house mate at the
>> time was on there once, although 10 years later he was still being ridiculed for
>> it. We still bring it up from time to time.

Ha, snap. One of the lads in my student house went on it once too. Silly 'aris wore dungarees and bare feet. He got picked by the girl and went on the date, to Gibraltar. They hated each other. Yank girl, if I recall correctly.

I'm given to understand that Ms Black's real off-stage persona was somewhat at odds with her stage image, by someone who has a friend close to the local football chairman who has been knocking about with Cilla in recent years. Ah well, we're none of us perfect. Condolences to the family.
 Cilla Black dies, aged 72 - Duncan
The cabin crew on the pprune forum don't seem to have a very high opinion of Cilla Black.

Extract:-

"You don't talk to Ms Black.
Ms Black will talk to you.
Ms Black only sits in 1A
Ms Black will have some champagne now.
Ms Black talks through a personal assistant.

Vile bitch, rumour has it she was banned from BA for a while because of her attitiude to staff and excessive demands about seating."
 Cilla Black dies, aged 72 - henry k
The above cabin crew comments were posted 8 years ago .
There have been several adverse comments about her posted over the years on the same forum thread so were they all "an off day" ?
There was even one posted yesterday.
"Rest in peace Cilla,......But you were very hard work."
 Cilla Black dies, aged 72 - Westpig
Am I the only miserable sod that thinks this is all out of proportion? The t.v. news is full of it and so is the radio.

Some singer/entertainer has died... we are all going to die someday...next.
>>Some singer/entertainer has died... we are all going to die someday...

But none of us are going to reach the heights of fame and fortune that she achieved in her life.
>> >>Some singer/entertainer has died... we are all going to die someday...
>>
>> But none of us are going to reach the heights of fame and fortune that
>> she achieved in her life.

You don't know that for a fact. You don't know who I am.
>>You don't know who I am.

Does your surname begin with a Banna and end with a tyne?
 Cilla Black dies, aged 72 - commerdriver
>> >>You don't know who I am.
>>
>> Does your surname begin with a Banna and end with a tyne?
>>
No he's really Prince Charles and is here to keep an eye on Alanovic :-)
>> But none of us are going to reach the heights of fame and fortune that
>> she achieved in her life.
>>

So what? She still took a dump in the morning, just like the rest of us.
>> She still took a dump in the morning, just like the rest of us.

Unless she had someone to do it for her.

'Hey, chuck! Long time no see! Tell you what, I'll just get my people to take a dump and then I'll be right with you!'
>>She still took a dump in the morning, just like the rest of us.

It ain't necessarily so:

www.independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-families/health-news/teenage-girl-dies-of-heart-attack-after-not-going-to-the-toilet-for-eight-weeks-10357533.html
>> It ain't necessarily so:

Trust you to find that..and in Cornwall!
>>Trust you to find that..and in Cornwall!

I actually forgot it was in Cornwall tbh. I recall speed-reading the article at the time, and thinking what a terrible way to shuffle off, poor girl.
Calling the deceased a vile bitch on the basis of some tittle-tattle on the internet is uncalled for.
>>Vile bitch

Bit strong and unnecessary?
Calm down chaps, and note the quotation marks. That was written by a cabin crew member on the pprune forum, long before Cilla's demise. The poster here has just copied and pasted it, but he did put it in quotes to try to indicate that they weren't his own words.

Punctuation obviously does matter. ;-)
>>and note the quotation marks

Thanks, I hadn't noticed where the quotation mark ended.

Mind you, that just moves my comment from Duncan to whoever wrote it. Still OTT.

Sorry for thinking it was you, Duncan.
>> That was written by a cabin crew member on the pprune forum
>>
Was it?
Or was it written by someone who had heard someone who said he/she knew a man who once saw Cilla

Anything on the internet and especially on a forum is worthless without knowing the source.
pprune is an open forum like many others including this one and does not attempt to verify that users have any connection with flying / airlines or anything else

On any forum you can never be sure who anyone else is it is all part of the great pretend world that is internet forums.

Calling someone something on the basis of anything other than personal experience is not a good thing to do, especially if it's nasty
Sure. Here's the link to the thread in question. No further comment from me. Was just trying to absolve Duncan.

www.pprune.org/cabin-crew/300180-who-your-nicest-celebs.html
>> Sure. Here's the link to the thread in question. No further comment from me. Was
>> just trying to absolve Duncan.

No don't do that, its not good for him.
Of course all these people are who they claim, all professional flight attendants without a bad quality in any way.
Not blaming Duncan, he quoted somebody, whoever they are
'Vile bitch' was so obviously in the mode of over-the-top satirical exaggeration that one can only gawp at the idea of someone taking it seriously.
>so obviously in the mode of over-the-top satirical exaggeration

It wasn't.

It was a serious comment made by someone on pprune.

www.pprune.org/archive/index.php/t-300180.html

Do try and keep up,its still early.
 Cilla Black dies, aged 72 - Manatee
Dog,

Didn't I read somewhere - might have been on here - that Devon and Cornwall were planning to run a joint music festival a few years ago?

Never happened - they had provisionally booked Cream and The Jam, but they couldn't agree which should go on first.
Last edited by: Manatee on Mon 3 Aug 15 at 19:50
>> Dog,
>>
>> Didn't I read somewhere - might have been on here - that Devon and Cornwall
>> were planning to run a joint music festival a few years ago?
>>
>> Never happened - they had provisionally booked Cream and The Jam, but they couldn't agree
>> which should go on first.

And the Rolling Scones never showed.
>> they had provisionally booked Cream and The Jam, but they couldn't agree which should go on first

Very clever, Manotea. I've certainly seen some jams down here this past weekend.

Howls about this then, a cream tea in Cornwall, prepared in the Devonshire way:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cream_tea#/media/File:Cornish_cream_tea_2.jpg
 Cilla Black dies, aged 72 - The Melting Snowman
My missus and I always enjoyed Blind Date, particularly in the 1980s, it was regular TV entertainment for us. Low quality but good simple fun. We were never so keen on Surprise Surprise, I often wondered if all those long-lost people really ever wanted to be found and reunited.

Saturday evenings have never been the same without The Price is Right with Leslie Crowther. Classic stuff. My missus was always good at getting close to the prices.
 Cilla Black dies, aged 72 - John Boy
Coroner's report:
www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-33778358

>> Saturday evenings have never been the same without The Price is Right with Leslie Crowther.
>> Classic stuff. My missus was always good at getting close to the prices.

Mrs Melting Snow Woman, come on down!
 Cilla Black dies, aged 72 - legacylad
Does her demise now mean that Saturday nights B & W Minstrel show will not get another chance?
 Cilla Black dies, aged 72 - VxFan
So the farmers are complaining about not getting enough money to milk a few cows.

They should think themselves lucky: Liverpudlians will be milking Cilla Black's death for the next 5 years and they won't get a penny.

>> 5 years and they won't get a penny.

Don't you believe it, a shed load of money to be made out of her demise.
>> Don't you believe it, a shed load of money to be made out of her demise.

The Scousers are sure to make a meal of her funeral. I'm looking forward to it.
>> >> Don't you believe it, a shed load of money to be made out of
>> her demise.
>>
>> The Scousers are sure to make a meal of her funeral. I'm looking forward to
>> it.
>>

Cilla gets a send off.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-34007045
Latest Forum Posts