Non-motoring > Advice for certain members of this Forum. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: sherlock47 Replies: 17

Advice for certain members of this Forum. - sherlock47
Advice from a NHS Special Clinic may be in order :)
tinyurl.com/n9aja8z

Advice for certain members of this Forum. - Manatee
Which would be unnecessary if the rest took the trouble to spell lose properly, to memorise the very simple rule for when to put an apostrophe in 'its', and learn the difference between 'who's' and 'whose'.

You know who you are!
 Advice for certain members of this Forum. - sooty123
What a terrible condition to have. Nice to see those affected can get the help they need.
 Advice for certain members of this Forum. - No FM2R
Its' difficult when your concerned about words used by people who's argument is otherwise sound. But ultimately you will loose the battle.
 Advice for certain members of this Forum. - Zero
>> Which would be unnecessary if the rest took the trouble to spell lose properly, to
>> memorise the very simple rule for when to put an apostrophe in 'its', and learn
>> the difference between 'who's' and 'whose'.
>>
>> You know who you are!

I would like to point out that that article does not in fact exist on the NHS website. So loose the attitude, its no good whining about whose to blame over something that dont exist.
It's not easy you know.

I'm having to accept that literally doesn't literally mean literally any more, decimate now just means 'kill, destroy, or remove a large proportion of' and slither is well on its way to meaning 'sliver'.
 Advice for certain members of this Forum. - Cliff Pope
> and slither is well on its
>> way to meaning 'sliver'.
>>

I hadn't noticed that one. You mean there are people who ask for a small portion of sticky toffee pudding and expect it to slime its way across the table like a slug?

>> I hadn't noticed that one. You mean there are people who ask for a small
>> portion of sticky toffee pudding and expect it to slime its way across the table
>> like a slug?

Not making this up.

See second noun definition:

www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/slither
 Advice for certain members of this Forum. - sooty123
>> It's not easy you know.
>>
>> I'm having to accept that literally doesn't literally mean literally any more, decimate now just
>> means 'kill, destroy, or remove a large proportion of' and slither is well on its way to meaning 'sliver'.
>>

Youll be fine. The first step is accepting you have a problem. Then accept language is flexible and always changing. Sounds like you've started already you'll be ordering a slither of cheese/pudding etc in no time at all. ;)
 Advice for certain members of this Forum. - Cliff Pope

>>
>> I would like to point out that that article does not in fact exist on
>> the NHS website.
>>

Pedant. :)
 Advice for certain members of this Forum. - Ambo
>>Advice from a NHS Special Clinic may be in order :)
tinyurl.com/n9aja8z

Damn. I didn't know they had my identity.

Advice for certain members of this Forum. - Armel Coussine
So pedantry has become an identified medical disorder under its own name?

Heh heh... promoted from 'being a bit OCDish about grammar and spelling'.
 Advice for certain members of this Forum. - Focusless
>> So pedantry has become an identified medical disorder under its own name?

not yet - it's from www.thepoke.co.uk/
 Advice for certain members of this Forum. - Dutchie
Nothing wrong with a bit of pedantry.If someone puts you right when you make a mistake you should learn from it.

It is the way it is done that is the key in my opinion.
>> It is the way it is done that is the key in my opinion.

I have never found a fully satisfactory way, but usually I don't get the urge to correct people. Just sometimes I really want to put them right because they are not doing themselves justice. Common solecisms do limit career potential and to let somebody continue to make the same mistake for years is not being kind.

I am embarrassed, but grateful, when somebody corrects me privately, and I would never argue that it did not matter.

There is no good way on a forum, simply because it is public.
 Advice for certain members of this Forum. - Armel Coussine
I too often suppress the impulse to correct people, but not always. Depends partly on who you are correcting: some people are prickly about such things and take offence easily, others are more comfortable in their skins.

Of course people often write in haste here and make errors as a result. I don't always bother even to correct myself.
 Advice for certain members of this Forum. - No FM2R
>>It is the way it is done that is the key in my opinion.

For me it is the *reason* that it is done.

Living in a multi-lingual world I am quite comfortable if someone corrects me because I might be misunderstood.

If they are correcting me because they believe that are better at Spanish or Portuguese than I am and want to show it, then they get told to go forth.

By the same token I will correct someone's English if I feel that they may be misunderstood. I only correct them more than that if they have asked me to do so.

Advice for certain members of this Forum. - Ambo
I like the French method. Say something wrong and they will say it again, in corrected form. Pay attention and your knowledge of French will come on fast.
Latest Forum Posts