Non-motoring > I want a discount on my Council Tax Miscellaneous
Thread Author: zippy Replies: 47

I want a discount on my Council Tax - zippy
Because the police won't investigate a burglary at my address!

tinyurl.com/q2ekt7v

You couldn't make it up!
 I want a discount on my Council Tax - Haywain
I live in an odd-numbered house - but the police will come if we are burgled. I will tell them that I have shot the burglar.
 I want a discount on my Council Tax - Zero
If I was in an odd numbered house, where the police have already decided they will not turn up before the event, I would refuse the pay the police precept part of the rates.
 I want a discount on my Council Tax - Manatee
>> If I was in an odd numbered house, where the police have already decided they
>> will not turn up before the event, I would refuse the pay the police precept
>> part of the rates.

Me too.
 I want a discount on my Council Tax - Duncan
>> >> If I was in an odd numbered house, where the police have already decided
>> they
>> >> will not turn up before the event, I would refuse the pay the police
>> precept
>> >> part of the rates.
>>
>> Me too.

Let us know how it goes.
I live in Surrey, we don't have tealeaves round here.
 I want a discount on my Council Tax - Armel Coussine
>> I live in Surrey, we don't have tealeaves round here.

Only retired ones living the life of Riley out of their stashes. There's a scattering of those wherever you look.

Perfectly respectable under capitalism, I can't help noticing. No dividing line between crime and private enterprise.
Last edited by: Armel Coussine on Wed 5 Aug 15 at 19:31
 I want a discount on my Council Tax - bathtub tom
>> I live in Surrey, we don't have tealeaves round here.

What about all those peripatetic driveway tarmaccers who have to worry about having their wheels nicked when they leave home?
 I want a discount on my Council Tax - No FM2R
The have "do as you likies" in Surrey?

Shocked.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Wed 5 Aug 15 at 20:03
 I want a discount on my Council Tax - Duncan
>> If I was in an odd numbered house, where the police have already decided they
>> will not turn up before the event, I would refuse the pay the police precept
>> part of the rates.

Please do that. I would be very interested to know how you get on.
Leicestershire police said the policy had "no noticeable impact on victim satisfaction, and nor did it affect the overall ratio of scenes visited and suspects identified.Leicestershire police said the policy had "no noticeable impact on victim satisfaction, and nor did it affect the overall ratio of scenes visited and suspects identified.

So presumably the number of suspects identified halved along with the number of visits?

The most comical part of this is that if the policy is public - or just leaked - then burglaries will no doubt go down at the even numbered houses, because any sensible burglar will concentrate on the odds.

Nothing new though - a neighbour had his Defender nicked one night probably three years ago. The police declined to visit, and suggested he asked his neighbours if they had seen anything.
 I want a discount on my Council Tax - Haywain
"So presumably the number of suspects identified halved along with the number of visits?"

Even better - if the police simply refused to answer the phone, then the level of reported crime would fall dramatically!
 I want a discount on my Council Tax - Boxsterboy
>> Leicestershire police said the policy had "no noticeable impact on victim satisfaction, and nor did
>> it affect the overall ratio of scenes visited and suspects identified.Leicestershire police said the policy
>> had "no noticeable impact on victim satisfaction, and nor did it affect the overall ratio
>> of scenes visited and suspects identified.

>>

That sound like they don't attend burglaries at even numbered houses. And yet Hampshire Police are devoting 1,000 officers into investigating allegations about Ted Heath's past (as reported on TV news). You couldn't make it up!
 I want a discount on my Council Tax - Stuartli
>>That sound like they don't attend burglaries at even numbered houses. And yet Hampshire Police are devoting 1,000 officers into investigating allegations about Ted Heath's past (as reported on TV news). You couldn't make it up!>>

If I heard the news correctly, there are FIVE police forces potentially about to start investigations if initial inquiries prove it necessary.

As you said, you couldn't make it up.
Last edited by: Stuartli on Wed 5 Aug 15 at 18:29
Well, I'm not so sure that it is ridiculous.

If attending and investigating 50% of crimes;

1) is all that they have resources for
2) maintains their current performance
3) maintains their presence and the risk of being caught at the current levels in the minds of the criminal.
4) Does not impact the chance of the criminal being caught

Then it would not seem unreasonable.

Of course, we could significantly increase the resources available and then they could attend every incident, even if it was pointless.

But in a country where the residents gag over every penny in taxes, I'm not sure where that money would come from.

>> "The notion of denying 50 per cent of victims a basic service, based on something as arbitrary as their house number, looks ethically dubious at best."

I should think it *must* be arbitrary. Would he prefer something deliberate and subjective like wealth, race, club membership, bank balance etc. etc. ?
 I want a discount on my Council Tax - Focusless
>> I should think it *must* be arbitrary. Would he prefer something deliberate and subjective like
>> wealth, race, club membership, bank balance etc. etc. ?

Isn't that where the trained, experienced, senior officer should come in and (quickly) make an informed decision, given all the available evidence and resources, on which ones to attend?

Failing that, toss a coin, so at least the crims don't know which ones to target.
Last edited by: Focusless on Wed 5 Aug 15 at 20:52
 I want a discount on my Council Tax - Kevin
>Because the police won't investigate a burglary at my address!

You missed out the "attempted" bit from the headline.
 I want a discount on my Council Tax - Rudedog
So what happens if your house has a name and not a number?
 I want a discount on my Council Tax - Dog
>>So what happens if your house has a name and not a number?

That thought had crossed my mind yesterday, not that the fuzz could find the gaff anyway, the courier guys 'n gals have enough trouble finding it, especially as my postcode leads them to an entirely different area.
The joys of living in the back of beyond.
 I want a discount on my Council Tax - Dutchie
I don't expect to much from the police.The few dealings I've had with them regarding help was a waste of time.

Best thing is to look after yourself and property.
 I want a discount on my Council Tax - Cliff Pope
>> >> the courier guys 'n gals have enough trouble finding it, especially as my postcode
>> leads them to an entirely different area.
>> The joys of living in the back of beyond.
>>

Our official postal address refers to a village five miles away in a different county.
But a few years ago all the couriers suddenly stopped having difficulty finding the house, and now all say it is easy. It's as if we are now on a special database of hard-to-find addresses.
 I want a discount on my Council Tax - Dog
>>It's as if we are now on a special database of hard-to-find addresses.

No doubt you can think of 100's or more hard-to-find addresses, as can I in Cornwall. Pal o' mine used to have no end of trouble with courier drivers being unable to find his converted WW2 Nissen hut (used by the yanks)

He more than once drove all the way to Plymouth from St Austell to collect the item himself.
 I want a discount on my Council Tax - TheManWithNoName
Good luck with withholding your Council Tax. If you attempt it, you'll lose. Refusing to pay because of a dispute over another preceptors service is not a valid defence at a magistrates court hearing. Just sayin', like.
 I want a discount on my Council Tax - sajid
on every council tax there is a police charge if evey one did withheld their payments due to
council offering reduced services due to cutbacks re adult social care, bin service we the tax payers do have the right to protest as like evey service if it falls short then there has to be a feedback to the council regarding their service, also any increase of charges there has to be a vote for these increases.

If the sale of good acts apply to services then customers do have the right to redress.

I want a discount on my Council Tax - Roger.
Non-payment of council tax is looked on as much more serious than many real crimes.
Go directly to gaol, do not pass GO, do not collect £200!
 I want a discount on my Council Tax - TheManWithNoName
>> on every council tax there is a police charge if evey one did withheld their
>> payments due to
>> council offering reduced services due to cutbacks re adult social care, bin service we the
>> tax payers do have the right to protest as like evey service if it falls
>> short then there has to be a feedback to the council regarding their service, also
>> any increase of charges there has to be a vote for these increases.
>>
>> If the sale of good acts apply to services then customers do have the right
>> to redress.

Sale of goods doesn't apply to a tax levied and raised on the value of property. You do not pay for a specific item like you do when buying a washing machine that turns out to be faulty.

Besides which, the council has to collect it but the police authority set their own precept. One would have to complain to the relevant police authority but you still have no right to withhold payment. No magistrate in England will uphold that.
 I want a discount on my Council Tax - wokingham
Get rid of your house number and give it a name. Up side is that speeding tickets etc will only be issued to cars with odd numbered plates!
Common in Holland having your name on the door.I wonder why not here?
I don't suppose anybody here thinks that they would get away without paying all of their council tax eventually, but if the police stopped doing their job and enough people deducted it then it would be a powerful protest, and one I would join.
 I want a discount on my Council Tax - Clk Sec
We'll be right behind you, Manatee.

Or perhaps not...
 I want a discount on my Council Tax - R.P.
My wife's still serving. 20% cuts last year over and above cuts the year before and more to come next year. There is no blue line any more, just a series of dashes, moral is at rock bottom, people are leaving in droves from what was a secure job. You ain't seen nothing yet.
coppers have been replaced by cameras, they are now nothing more than sweeper-uppers.
Agree I go for a walk every day for about half hr.You get to know people talk to them and find more out what people think.Should be a coppers job on the beat.Why has this changed so much over the years.I know the manning issue but is that a excuse?
Because they are dealing with overgrown babies with no social skills and Facebook crime !
 I want a discount on my Council Tax - sajid
thought sale of goods also apply to services, if you not getting it then there has to be redress
Alas, its called the Council Tax

Taxes do not come under the sale of good act!
 I want a discount on my Council Tax - CGNorwich
No, just a jail sentence for non payment.
 I want a discount on my Council Tax - Westpig
>> Agree I go for a walk every day for about half hr.You get to know
>> people talk to them and find more out what people think.Should be a coppers job
>> on the beat.Why has this changed so much over the years.I know the manning issue
>> but is that a excuse?

It has changed, because the demand and expectations has increased unbelievably and the average cops role has diversified into many, many other roles, so much so, that those left doing that work cannot possibly cope, so they 'prioritise' ... which is another way of saying dropping things off the bottom of the list.

To start off with those things dropped weren't too bad e.g. lost dogs, parking offences, etc... but there's the point reached now where the things being dropped are much more serious... and there's a lot more pain to come yet.

The modern British police force now engages mostly in fire brigade policing i.e. responding to things once they've happened, rather than snooping about catching people out up to no good before they've done things.

It hasn't helped that the most senior cops have been less than frank about the realities, presumably to ensure they keep their jobs or can be promoted. Most people don't realise for example, that up to 20 years ago your car crime was never investigated, it was just recorded as a statisitic, there was no one to deal with it. Imagine what is being dropped now?

Then you combine meddling from politicians and the Home Office e.g. specific crime priorities (which are then concentrated on to the nth degree to the detriment of any common sense)... and then add a bit of performance related pay, huge civilianisation (designed to save money but employs more people doing the same roles and becomes bureaucratic to the point the tail wags the dog)..and then PCSO's paid at about 70% of a Constable but can do about 20% of a Constable's role and who have a contract which prevents very short notice shift changes and excessive hours, you know just what you need in policing.......and hey ho we are where we are.
And yet my impression is that there is less crime thann there was in the 'good old days'. Why would this be?
>> coppers have been replaced by cameras, they are now nothing more than sweeper-uppers.
>>

Correct.
>> You ain't seen nothing yet.
>>

That is sadly true.
 I want a discount on my Council Tax - Bromptonaut
BBC Radio 4's numbers programme More or Less looked at this story in a broadcast earlier today.

www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b065xk1v the relevant item starts at about 8:30 into the programme.

Let's just say press reports were not entirely accurate.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Fri 21 Aug 15 at 17:36
 I want a discount on my Council Tax - Robin O'Reliant
I listened to that too. The press reports were a load of misleading Horlicks.

But as millions read the daily papers and only a handful listen to R4...
Last edited by: Robin O'Reliant on Fri 21 Aug 15 at 17:39
"But as millions read the daily papers and only a handful listen to R4..."

Depends what you call a handfall. 10,574,000 people over 15 listen to R4 every week for at least 15 mins per week and with an average listening time of 11.5 hours per week.

That compares quite favourably with the readership of the Daily Mail which is 11,970,000 combined paper and online.
 I want a discount on my Council Tax - sooty123
>> Depends what you call a handfall. 10,574,000 people over 15 listen to R4 every week
>> for at least 15 mins per week and with an average listening time of 11.5
>> hours per week.
>>
>> That compares quite favourably with the readership of the Daily Mail which is 11,970,000 combined
>> paper and online.
>>
>>

That really surprised me, I would have never thought that many people would listen to Radio 4. I've listened to it but only in the summer for TMS only. I wonder how many people listen to TMS?
Last edited by: sooty123 on Fri 21 Aug 15 at 19:36
Top 10
BBC Radio 2 (15.1m listeners every week)
BBC Radio 4 (10.5m)
BBC Radio 1 (10.4m)
Heart (8.9m)
Capital FM (7.1m)
BBC Radio 5 live (5.3m)
Classic FM (5.3m)
KISS (5.2m)
Smooth (4.6m)
talkSPORT (3.0m)

However, and just out of interest, they are this big because they have a large catchment area (National and/or London).

If you take the Top 10 radio stations most dominant within their own local area you get..

Manx Radio (63.5%)
Island FM (58.5% of people in their area tune in every week)
Channel 103 FM (51.7%)
Radio Borders (50.9%)
Yorkshire Coast Radio (46%)
Moray Firth Radio (46%)
Wessex FM (44.4%)
CFM (43.5%)
Radio Pembrokeshire (42%)
BBC Radio Guernsey (41.5%)
>>Let's just say press reports were not entirely accurate.

Noooo, say it ain't so!!!!!!!!!
Very enlightening programme this afternoon. Science based money saving, now scrapped thanks to either mischief making or idle hacks, shame that.
Latest Forum Posts