Non-motoring > Annoying childhood ailment Computing Issues
Thread Author: Armel Coussine Replies: 19

Annoying childhood ailment - Armel Coussine
As a child I longed to have styes in my eyes like everyone else, but never got them. I was even reduced to calling an inflamed horsefly bite in the corner of my eye a stye.

Everything comes to him who waits. There's a horrible red bulge in the middle of the bottom of my left eyelid, so big that I can almost see it without a mirror sometimes. It feels a bit sticky and itchy but doesn't hurt and doesn't seem to affect actual eyesight.

I daren't put iodine ointment on it because that will hurt if it gets in the eye. I think I'll have to run it past the quack, or perhaps the nurse will do.

Sorry to be boring.
 Annoying childhood ailment - Kevin
>As a child I longed to have styes in my eyes like everyone else, but never got them.

Thankfully I never got them either.

I did get bacterial conjunctivitis last year, caused I think, by sweat dripping down my face while I was using an angle grinder re-pointing the patio.

For a couple of weeks I could have been an extra for Hammer House of Horrors.
 Annoying childhood ailment - R.P.
My wife has suffered from them for the last two weeks, one in each eye, one worse than the other. She was sent home from work because of the nastiness of them last week. They look bad. I suggested an iPad...but the doc gave her some horse-pills and they finally seem to have cleared. Working 10 hour shifts don't help I'm sure.
 Annoying childhood ailment - MD
>> I did get bacterial conjunctivitis last year, caused I think, by sweat dripping down my
>> face while I was using an angle grinder re-pointing the patio.
>>
>> You've asked for it:-). Try a pointing trowel and mortar.:-)
 Annoying childhood ailment - Lygonos
Entirely possible you'll be disappointed AC

At eleventy-one, you're more likely to get a meibomian cyst than a stye:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chalazion
>> Entirely possible you'll be disappointed AC

Not an entirely reassuring read Lygonos, but thanks all the same I suppose...

This one is on the outside on eyelash level in the middle of the upper lid. But I once had something similar on the inside, much more uncomfortable. In the end the doctors scraped it out with a scalpel or something. That was the most tremendous fun (really really not)... and I had to wear an eyepatch for a couple of weeks too. Damn dangerous when crossing roads I found.
 Annoying childhood ailment - No FM2R
My Grandmother, full of Welsh, country "treatments" used to hold a scaldingly hot flannel on my eye at the first sign of a stye. Funnily enough, it seemed to work once one got over the pain and blurred vision.
Thanks FMR. I'll give it a try if the doctors don't come up with anything, if I dare.
 Annoying childhood ailment - Mapmaker
A rub of a wedding ring on the stye is the traditional cure. Hence, presumably, golden-eye-ointment (does it still exist?).
Got a Dr's appt tomorrow at midday. Now I just have to hope they don't do anything nasty or frightening when I get there.

Meibomian cyst, meibomian cyst... I'll try to remember to suggest it if they look foxed.
 Annoying childhood ailment - Robin O'Reliant
Maybe you're growing a third eye?

It's been known.
>> have to hope they don't do anything nasty or frightening when I get there.

They didn't do anything at all. The nurse was going to put some antibiotic ointment on it but a doctor happened by and countermanded that. He said I should wait four weeks to see if it went away by itself. He thought it would just disappear if left alone. He also called it a stye.

I suppose I can live with the thing if I must but it isn't very nice. Damn!

Herself wants me to have my hearing investigated. Seems OK to me for someone of my age. Hearing tests are a great nuisance, and if I have to go to a hospital to get it done I just won't bother.
 Annoying childhood ailment - No FM2R
My Grandmother is spinning in her grave.

Hot flannel you great wuss.
 Annoying childhood ailment - Zero
Mag Sulphate cures all.
>> My Grandmother is spinning in her grave.

She can rest easy FMR. I've tried it with a couple of clean hankies run under our very hot tap, but without result so far.

>> Hot flannel you great wuss.

I'm not a serious wuss by modern standards, not at all. I'm not worried that this thing is going to kill or blind me, and it doesn't hurt. It's just a mildly uncomfortable nuisance.
 Annoying childhood ailment - Cliff Pope
>> Hence, presumably,
>> golden-eye-ointment (does it still exist?).
>>

Yes: www.goldeneyecare.co.uk/our-range/goldeneye-ointment/
>> Damn dangerous when crossing roads I found.

It must depend on your physiognomy to an extent, but having one eye covered only shuts off about a third of your field of vision.

But that's more than enough to put you at risk. You get used to crossing roads and so on but you have to swivel your head more than usual to see what's happening on the blind side, and it's easy to neglect that and walk into traffic you haven't seen. That's what I found anyway. Had a couple of near misses.
 Annoying childhood ailment - Dog
Why don't you make an appointment to consult an ophthalmologist about it guvnor.
 Annoying childhood ailment - Manatee
>> Why don't you make an appointment to consult an ophthalmologist about it guvnor.

It's not affecting his bird-watching, or at least he hasn't said so.
>> consult an ophthalmologist about it guvnor.

No point. There's no effect on actual eyesight.
Latest Forum Posts