Non-motoring > Perseids Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Armel Coussine Replies: 7

Perseids - Armel Coussine
Herself saw a couple just now.

I'm going out at 2 or 3 for the apogee, if there's still any sky. Only seen them properly a couple of times.
 Perseids - legacylad
Spent 30 mins last night just afore midnight looking in an easterly direction but saw nothing. Pretty clear skies tonight but after thirty mins gave up as I only saw two . Very little light pollution in my part of the world. Quite disappointed really.
 Perseids - Cliff Pope
It must require a special kind of eyesight to be able to see shooting stars, which I have never had apparently.
There is nothing otherwise wrong with my sight - I recently had an eyetest and was told my longsight is excellent and I passed that test where you push a button when lights flash at different points on the screen.
Yet I have never seen any meteors, even when other people are excitedly pointing them out around me.

Is it a knack? Do I simply lack sufficient faith in their existence for them to be revealed to me?
 Perseids - WillDeBeest
They're like bats and kingfishers: so fast and fleeting that you can't possibly point one out to anyone else before it's gone. You can see them most nights if the sky is dark and clear; one evening in France we turned out all the lights and saw half a dozen each in the space of 20 minutes - but even then we couldn't really point them out to each other.
 Perseids - Mapmaker
An annual happy memory of summer holidays on the Continent when a child.
 Perseids - Cliff Pope
>> They're like bats and kingfishers:

Yep, I can see those all right.
Herself saw five or six all told. I saw two I think. I was waiting of course for the peak time in the small hours - you can see tens or even hundreds a minute if you're lucky - but of course by then it was raining and clouded over.
The best way to see meteors is to stare with eyes wide open and unfocused into the right quarter of the sky (north west from here last night). They can be quite spectacular sometimes: a big one can break up as it slices into the stratosphere, and become several... But you can't really focus on them, you sort of glimpse them. They are going at incredible speeds relative to the earth.

Nothing can beat a sky full of the things. I've only seen that twice that I can remember.
Latest Forum Posts