Non-motoring > Winter in Spain anyone? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: legacylad Replies: 16

Winter in Spain anyone? - legacylad
Any advice please, or recommendations? I return from the USA early Nov, and friends have suggested renting a 3 bed property on the coast, Dec & Jan. I have not been to Spain for several years, so my knowledge is hazy to say the least. We are thinking of a two month rental between Benidorm & Valencia...Altea & Moraira have been suggested. The only requirements are close to the coast, preferably on the coast, with a sea view & a heated pool. Flights in/out of Alicante so I can pop home for a week if bored, and we would probably drive out. If we each have our own space, with plenty of walking inland and a choice of bars/ restaurants I don't foresee any problems, but where should I start looking for accommodations?
Maybe a flight out early Sept, hire a car, and do some groundwork. Has anyone spent an extended period of time in that part of the world?
 Winter in Spain anyone? - rtj70
You definitely need to be near or on the coast. We went north of Malaga in February last year. It was very cold - and only about an hour or so from Malaga. Up in the hills mind. Much warmer when down in Malaga.

Roger of course used to live in Spain - I don't know which bit.
Yes, definitely on the coast. We don't want to be inland. I envisage myself jogging on the beach each morning, spending at least an hour each day in a heated pool, and day trips to Valencia & Benidorm ( not been there since I was 18).
Do temperatures vary much between the different coastal areas?...plenty of homework for me to do.
 Winter in Spain anyone? - Alanovich
I'd thoroughly recommend the Costa de Almeria at that time of year. Best weather. Somewhere around Agua Amarga (which is a bit sleepy) or Carboneras (livelier) or Mojacar (bit further north, probably livelier still). These resorts are in the Cabo de Gato National Park and will have great opportunities for walking.

Bit of a trek from Valencia, but Almeria and Murcia airports have good services too. Almeria is a lovely city, lots of Moorish influence and a spectacular Alhambra, kind of a mini-Granada.
 Winter in Spain anyone? - ....
I know you specifically mention visiting places you saw when you were younger, I'd keep going at that time of year for the Canaries.
 Winter in Spain anyone? - sooty123
Good point even warmer in the summer. GC had plenty of outdoors stuff, quite a lot of sportsmen go out there for winter training.
 Winter in Spain anyone? - Roger.
>> You definitely need to be near or on the coast. We went north of Malaga
>> in February last year. It was very cold - and only about an hour or
>> so from Malaga. Up in the hills mind. Much warmer when down in Malaga.
>>
>> Roger of course used to live in Spain - I don't know which bit.
>>
Costa del Sol, on the coast, between Estepona and Gibraltar. (San Luis de Sabinillas, part of Manilva municipality)
I'm biased, of course, but there is some good countryside close to hand,: you can visit a good few touristy venues (Granada, Sevilla, Jerez de la Frontera et al.) , close to Puerto Banus and Marbella, and also handy for AGP.
The weather is pretty decent, but even on the coast you'll need warm clothing. If you rent, make sure that the place has heating.

Winter in Spain anyone? - neiltoo
Relatives had a pad near Javea (Costa Blanca) - between Valencia and Alicante.
Very pleasant climate (supposed to be on the World Health Authority's list of healthiest places to live) (Downside is a lot of expats!)
Thanks for the feedback. I have no idea where some of the places mentioned are, but will investigate. I really need year round flights from my local airport, LBA, and I think Alicante fits that particular requirement. Some friends have just rented a villa at Moraira for three months, but it is slightly inland with no sea view and the pool is unheated. OK for an occasional dip but I like my daily swims on holiday. They recommend that part of the world because they are into energetic sports....climbing, long walks, triathlons etc and reckon the climate is ok. Probably cooler than further South but what do I know.
Expats don't bother me. I imagine they can be avoided should the need arise, but I have no problem mingling with Brits abroad, which is what I would be.
 Winter in Spain anyone? - No FM2R
Necessarily Spain? There's some good stuff in Portugal.
 Winter in Spain anyone? - Dog
You could always have a look around this expat forum, or even join it to pose your questions.

Loads of members live or have villas in the areas you mentioned:

www.expatforum.com/expats/spain-expat-forum-expats-living-spain/
Woof woof
Much appreciated
 Winter in Spain anyone? - Roger.
>> You could always have a look around this expat forum, or even join it to
>> pose your questions.
>>
>> Loads of members live or have villas in the areas you mentioned:
>>
>> www.expatforum.com/expats/spain-expat-forum-expats-living-spain/
>>

Or this one.......

www.andalucia.com/forums/index.php
 Winter in Spain anyone? - Dutchie
Where does this expat comes from Roger.Is that a special term for Brits abroad?
 Winter in Spain anyone? - Harleyman
>> Where does this expat comes from Roger.Is that a special term for Brits abroad?
>>

Short for ex-patriate; a person who lives outside their native country. Like your good self, in fact.

Last edited by: Harleyman on Sat 15 Aug 15 at 14:55
 Winter in Spain anyone? - CGNorwich
Those guys in the tents at Calais need to rebrand themselves. They would have an easier time as expats rather than immigrants.
Latest Forum Posts