Non-motoring > On the Buses' 'Blakey', dies aged 88 Miscellaneous
Thread Author: VxFan Replies: 13

On the Buses' 'Blakey', dies aged 88 - VxFan

I 'Ate You Butler!

www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-33914037

RIP Blakey.
 On the Buses' 'Blakey', dies aged 88 - Robin O'Reliant
Anyone who longs for the so called "Golden Age" of television has only to watch an episode of On The Buses to realise that it wasn't that great after all.
 On the Buses' 'Blakey', dies aged 88 - CGNorwich
it was of its time. Comedy ages badly.

On the Buses' 'Blakey', dies aged 88 - Zero
>> it was of its time. Comedy ages badly.

Some comedy ages badly. In the case of "on the buses" it was about 5 minutes.
 On the Buses' 'Blakey', dies aged 88 - CGNorwich
But I guess it gave a lot of entertainment to many as it was enormously popular at the time. I seem to remember a spin off film or two as well. It served its purpose. I don't think the writers though they were creating an enduring masterpiece although I believe its still being shown on some channel or other.
 On the Buses' 'Blakey', dies aged 88 - No FM2R
>> But I guess it gave a lot of entertainment to many as it was enormously popular at the time

It certainly gave me a load of pleasure at the time, I loved it.

On the other hand I watched an epsiode a year or so ago and it was toe-curlingly cringeworthy.
 On the Buses' 'Blakey', dies aged 88 - Armel Coussine
>> it was of its time. Comedy ages badly.

Yes. But apart from that, patronising fifties 'working-'class' comedy is a bit out of fashion these days. There were different TV markets back then.
 On the Buses' 'Blakey', dies aged 88 - Dog
I tuned his car a couple of times when he lived in the Hither Green area of Lewisham, London.
Funny thing was that he was exactly like Blakey. Nice chap RIP
 On the Buses' 'Blakey', dies aged 88 - VxFan
I must admit to not liking the TV series much, but the spin off movies were loads better. i.e. Mutiny & Holiday.

And I guess most workplaces still have a Blakey, Stan & Jack. Mine certainly has.
 On the Buses' 'Blakey', dies aged 88 - No FM2R
Jack (Bob Grant) now there was a tortured soul. Finally succeeded in killing himself after multiple previous attempts when he was 71.
 On the Buses' 'Blakey', dies aged 88 - Roger.
Talking of old stuff - there is a feature film out next year of Dad's Army.
It has some pretty big names in it.
 On the Buses' 'Blakey', dies aged 88 - Zero
The Films -

This awful music is guaranteed to act as an ear worm and drive you barmy by the end of the day.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=fh1FxT-oVpU
 On the Buses' 'Blakey', dies aged 88 - Focusless
>> Talking of old stuff - there is a feature film out next year of Dad's Army.

Official trailer: www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nig2SQk6jx4
inc. Bill Nighy, Catherine Zeta-Jones, Toby Jones, Tom Courtenay, Michael Gambon
 On the Buses' 'Blakey', dies aged 88 - Crankcase
I said the Dad's Army film would be rubbish as soon as we knew about it. I still think so, but I admit in that trailer Michael Gambon's "oh, thank you so much sir" made me laugh.

As to Stephen Lewis, I didn't know about the "sparrers" play and subsequent film, so will be looking out for that. All in Cockney and apparently the first UK film released in the States with subtitles.

Latest Forum Posts