Non-motoring > Pillows Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Roger. Replies: 31

Pillows - Roger.
Our pillows are VILE! (Cheap to buy, and from use {phew :-( }past their "acceptable-by" date)

We need 4 new 'uns.

Looking on the web it seems to me that pillows have, with some exceptions, become very cheap, even from well known brand names.

We don't like memory foam, or Dunlop foam and are sceptical about polyester ball filled ones!

I'm leaning towards duck-down/feather combinations:The White Company (qv) has a reasonable selection, but has anyone here recent experience and preferences in this sort of thing?
 Pillows - CGNorwich
As in most things you get what you pay for. If you have got a John Lewis near you I can recommend these. We bough four last year when we bought a new bed.
www.johnlewis.com/john-lewis-luxury-hungarian-goose-down-standard-pillow-medium-firm/p627525
Last edited by: CGNorwich on Mon 17 Aug 15 at 08:51
 Pillows - Roger.
The description says "may have a slight odour".
We've tried natural fill pillows before, admittedly not so expensive as these, but the smell was terrible. Like sleeping in a battery-hen house!
How do you find them in tems of smell?
 Pillows - CGNorwich
As the description says air them for a couple of days and the slight odour disappears.

As a special service to forum members I have just been upstairs to sniff our pillows and can confirm they are now completely odour free.
 Pillows - zippy
>>"may have a slight odour"

Many years ago as a potential provider of finance to a pillow manufacturer a colleague and I were given a tour of their spanking new warehouse and manufacturing facilities. Very impressive.

We were then taken to the goods in section of the huge plant.

We did notice more and more of the production staff making their way in the same direction and passing us as we were shown the latest investments.

When we got to the end point we realised that we were clearly the "show" for the production team as on turning the corner, our host explained that this is where all the feathers arrive. Of course they still had bits of meat attached to them and the smell was horrific.

My colleague and I turned green, but didn't throw up, which according to our host, was a first for the recent batch of finance companies visit.

Well we did ask to see everything and we won the contract.

Pillows - Dog
I have a Latex pillow. It wouldn't suit most peeps being that it's quite thin really. I've tried all the other types of pillow o'er the years but I likes me Latex jobbie for some reason.

tinyurl.com/nw3q6f8 Amazon
 Pillows - sooty123
Try not using any at all. I stopped using them years ago and haven't bothered with them since. Much more comfortable
 Pillows - Clk Sec
>>I'm leaning towards duck-down/feather combinations:

The last couple of pillows that Mrs CS bought were from T K Max. I've got one in front of me now, and it's a Snuggledown of Norway Dynasty Pillow; Cover 100% cotton; filling 85 duck feather & 15% duck down. They are very comfortable and not particularly expensive - although she can't quite remember how much.

I know you don't have a Waitrose nearby, but you must have a local TKMax, shirley...
 Pillows - Alanovich
Wait for Lidl's special.
 Pillows - Clk Sec
I bet he's there right now.
 Pillows - Alanovich
Ha. Hadn't realised they were doing pillows this week. Coincidence. Whaddayaknow.

www.lidl.co.uk/en/our-offers-2491.htm?id=617
 Pillows - Bromptonaut
We got two dunlopillows with a new bed last year. Different versions for me and MrsB, to suit our respective sleeping positions. Excellent for us but choice is personal.

Dunelm Mill have a good selection of fillings and offer different profiles for front, side or back sleepers.
 Pillows - Roger.
>> I bet he's there right now.
>>

Nope no LIDL near us just ALDI, where we have just spent £4292 on a whole trolleyload of shopping (after a week away).
Without checking each item, I bet Sainsbury's equivalent would be at least £15 more!
 Pillows - Alanovich
And people are criticising me for spending £2400 on a Volvo.
 Pillows - No FM2R
Well, that's 0.003% of anybody's money well saved.
 Pillows - Roger.
Duh, missed the decimal point!
£42.92 :-)
 Pillows - smokie
I just did Lidl and Tesco, stocking up for a festival weekend. Spent £29 in Tesco but got a voucher for £2.46 because ti would have been cheaper elsewhere. That's quite a lot... checking online a box of organic cider was £1 more than Asda and the kidney beans for making a chilli in advance were nearly 50% more expensive than Asda.

Haven't got an Asda near enough to shop regularly at, thankfully :-)

And I saw the aforementioned pillows in Lidl, they looked OK to me.
Last edited by: smokie on Mon 17 Aug 15 at 13:52
 Pillows - Stuartli
>>And I saw the aforementioned pillows in Lidl, they looked OK to me.>>

Every Lidl helps...
 Pillows - Clk Sec
No, that's the other place...
 Pillows - MD
Bought 2 pillows a few weeks ago. Cost: £200.00. Decimal points in the correct place. Don't know what's in them but they're Vunderbar. If there's any genuine interest I'll ask Memsabe.
 Pillows - Dog
>>Don't know what's in them but they're Vunderbar

I've 'Binged' em, but nothings coming up, are they the feathered variety, or hallowed fibre?
 Pillows - Clk Sec
> Cost: £200.00.

The OP is looking to buy pillows, not pillars.
 Pillows - CGNorwich
You could pay double that for a quality goose down pillow.
 Pillows - Stuartli
>> You could pay double that for a quality goose down pillow.>>

You could. But would you?
 Pillows - CGNorwich
Well I paid £60. Like most things you get what you pay for. Worth paying as much as you can afford. You will spend around a third of your life resting your head on it!
 Pillows - Stuartli
>>Well I paid £60.>>

Fair enough. But I paid about £10 for two excellent Silentnight pillows at Poundstretcher (not Poundland Zero should note!)
 Pillows - CGNorwich
Well I'm happy and you're happy so that's good.

Sleep well!
 Pillows - Dog
>>Sleep well!

No. Sleepeezee, especially if it's a Silentnight.
 Pillows - Stuartli
>> No, that's the other place...>>

You don't say...:-)
 Pillows - legacylad
Friend of mine made me a pillow case.. 15'' x 8'' folded flat. 5'' Velcro opening at one end. Then stuff in it whatever is most comfortable. In my case an ultra light down jacket. I use it whenever camping or on a long haul flight. I s'pose if you have another half they might find it rather minimalistic, which it is. Another slightly eccentricity is that as I like to sleep with an open window, even in winter, I find using a sleeping bag during the winter months saves a lot of laundry. Only when sleeping solo though. I'm not that daft!
 Pillows - stan10
My brother recommended these to me recently, haven't tried them yet, but intend to ..

www.thewoolroom.com

see what you think
Last edited by: stan10 on Tue 18 Aug 15 at 21:17
 Pillows - Roger.
Looks interesting.
Latest Forum Posts