Non-motoring > Heading Opp North Miscellaneous
Thread Author: zippy Replies: 30

Heading Opp North - zippy
I am on a bit of a bus-mans holiday to York for a few days - all a bit short notice.

Any recommendations on things to see or do please?

Jorvik and Railway Museum spring to mind but any gems would be appreciated please!?

Years ago when heading up that way for work I saw what looked like a large church or monastery on the near side whilst heading North on either the A1 or M1. It looked like it was on top of a large scarp type hill probably 5 miles from the road but I cannot remember where and Google has been no help. Does anyone know where it might me as I wouldn't mind a closer look this time?

Thanks!

Heading Opp North - Zero
from memory

Castle Museum is good, The Shambles is worth a wander around, the minster of course (specially if the undercroft and crypt is open) york nuclear bunker (regional control centre)

Jorvik is a waste of time.
Last edited by: Zero on Sun 23 Aug 15 at 21:12
 Heading Opp North - Bromptonaut
Agree with Zero about Jorvik. The Castle museum, Shamble and Minster are worthwhile as is the Railway Museum. The aviation museum at Elvington is worth a visit too.
 Heading Opp North - Manatee
I'd say Z's answer covers it:)

I'm taking the rail museum as a given if you are interested in that sort of thing, as I am.
The Rail Museum is a must! I now have to figure out how to get the girlfriend to visit as well and not go shopping instead!
 Heading Opp North - Zero
>> The Rail Museum is a must! I now have to figure out how to get
>> the girlfriend to visit as well and not go shopping instead!

She goes shopping, you go to NRM.
 Heading Opp North - Zero
>> The Rail Museum is a must! I now have to figure out how to get
>> the girlfriend to visit as well and not go shopping instead!

Mallard is in the great hall, as is Dutchess of Hamilton, the two greatest streamlined locos. You'll not see the Flying Scotsman tho, its at Bury currently being rebuilt for mainline tours, first tour in feb 2016.

There is huge angst and much beating of breasts in the gricer world, because it will have the "wrong" chimney, will be in the "wrong" shade of green, and will have smoke deflectors.
Last edited by: Zero on Sun 23 Aug 15 at 21:37
Girlfriend eh?

Scarborough is an hour's drive. If you want to show your cultural side, go and see something at the Stephen Joseph theatre, this week seems to be mostly Neville's Island by Tim Firth; Friday and Saturday are an old one of Ayckbourn's, Confusions.

www.sjt.uk.com/theatre/nevilles-island

www.sjt.uk.com/theatre/confusions

Just a thought. My cultural adviser would be well pleased, and I'd probably enjoy it.
 Heading Opp North - CGNorwich
York has an excellent Art Gallery
 Heading Opp North - Armel Coussine
>> I'd say Z's answer covers it:)

So would I.

But WTF is Jorvik?
 Heading Opp North - sooty123
>> But WTF is Jorvik?
>>
>>

It's a museum in York about the Vikings.
Jorvik is a sort of Disney Viking experience, with smells IIRC.
>> Jorvik is a sort of Disney Viking experience, with smells IIRC.

You can due museum experiences with smells etc and do it well - IWM trench or blittz experience for example. Or you can be like Jorvik.
Thanks all!
>> a sort of Disney Viking experience, with smells IIRC.

Sounds truly ghastly. The Vikings must have smelt awful after all that paddling and rape.
 Heading Opp North - legacylad
Need any advice on pubs?
Every 6 months we catch a ( midweek) train to York for an afternoon on the lash. When I used to visit for weekends with the ex we never ventured in at night. Too many stags and hens.
>> Need any advice on pubs?
>>

Yes please, if you can recommend somewhere that serves a good pint with vital that would be good!

Heading Opp North - Duncan
>> >> Need any advice on pubs?
>> >>

>> Yes please, if you can recommend somewhere that serves a good pint with vital that
>> would be good!

Always happy to oblige.

The Postern Gate in Piccadilly and
The Punch bowl in Blossom Street.

Wide selection of well kept beers and good food all at very popular prices.

HTH.
Arriving on the train from Leeds our first pint is always in the York Tap, just off the platform ( Jaipur is a fav beer when on). Turn left to the Maltings ( doors on the ceiling and decent food). Then in no particular order, 3 Legged Mare ( aka the wonky donkey) Yorkshire Terrier, House of Trembling Madness, The Hop (White Rat, another fav beer) & Pivni. The latter was where I always took female company...a nice mix of locals, students and a few tourists, plenty of character over two floors. Those are our 'regular' pubs when visiting for the afternoon but plenty of other good ones. We had to leave room for a few in Leeds en route home, and a couple in Settle once home ( Talbot & 13 Cafe Bar).
Enjoy
For a nice weekend away I always stayed at the Mount Royale when in company...a nice outside jacuzzi/hot tub in which to drink wine before dinner always went down well! Recommended.
 Heading Opp North - MD
Hell's teeth Man. That sounds like some outing.
 Heading Opp North - bathtub tom
>> But WTF is Jorvik?

It's like a ghost train ride, only lighter with less convincing characters. Must be getting rather tired by now.
 Heading Opp North - helicopter
Sounds to me like the large church would be Durham Cathedral which is a fair bit further on but visible from A1 .

York is a nightmare for parking so if you are staying there ensure you have a hotel or guest house with parking within walking distance of the centre .

Minster , Castle Museum and the Shambles are must see. Also recommended is a walk around the city walls.

Railway museum OK if you like railways but give Jorvik a miss.

There is a Macarthur Glen designer outlet in Fulford for the shopping

Last edited by: helicopter on Mon 24 Aug 15 at 11:20
 Heading Opp North - Zero
>> Sounds to me like the large church would be Durham Cathedral which is a fair
>> bit further on but visible from A1 .

you are not kidding - that must be all of 75 miles away.
 Heading Opp North - Observer
"York is a nightmare for parking so if you are staying there ensure you have a hotel or guest house with parking within walking distance of the centre."

The Park and Ride worked well for us, and it's £1 into town with a Senior Bus Pass after 9 am, free return.

Personally, I didn't think Jorvik was that bad, but whether it's value for money is another thing.
 Heading Opp North - Mapmaker
Rievaulx Abbey?
Back and rested!

Had a wonderful time and the weather was with us.

Did the Shambles, took most of the day, around the streets, popping in to eateries and the recommended Punch Bowl in Blossom Street - thanks Duncan - was a bit tipsy after an ale or three on the pretext of suggesting a cream tea :-). Saw the Minster as well. Well recommended on a sunny day.

Did the railway museum as well. Dragged the girlfriend around, though I did offer to take her to the shopping outlet first. Brilliant day out. GF enjoyed it as well.

Then went over the North Yorkshire Moors past RAF Flyingdales and stopped off to take in the scenery and headed off to Whitby as I had never been there before. Walked up to the ruined Abbey and then around the "old town" and along the harbour. Loads of places to eat. Was totally amazed by the number of people there.

Also did a boat tour from York City Centre but would not recommend that.

Thanks for all of the recommendations and I hope to be able to go back and take in some of the other sights that we didn't have time to do in the not too distant future.

Glad you were able to enjoy the fine Bank Holiday weather. Whitby is busy all summer, as is Robin Hoods Bay, unless lashing down. I often wander over Ilkley Moor, which affords extensive views toward Fylingdales. Years ago we used to take a short drive over there and watch the Fourth of July fireworks, but not sure if that still happens.
The Lake District today was very pleasant. A late start after a long walk in t' Dales yesterday, followed by beers n curry. As we drove the 45nmins up to Troutback this AM there was a constant stream of traffic departing the Lakes, with tailbacks joining the M6 South. Arriving back at the car at 8pm, the road home was virtually deserted, which we had hoped for. A few light showers, glorious views most of the day, then atmospheric low cloud and perfect light as we walked down from the tops made for a grand day out. Not everyone has been as fortunate with the weather this weekend.
>> I often wander over Ilkley Moor,
>> which affords extensive views toward Fylingdales.

Fylingdales?

or are you thinking of Menwith Hill.
Quite right. Menwith Hill.
Too much fresh air, exercise and an alcohol free day have confused my diminishing brain cells.
Good spot Bromp
 Heading Opp North - No FM2R
When I first worked in the US I laughed at a n American who asked how we celebrated the 4th July.

Now it seems we do.

Why?
>> American who asked how we celebrated the 4th July.

>> Now it seems we do.

>> Why?

I haven't noticed us celebrating 4 July. But it's obvious a lot of Americans who live here must do it.

If I didn't fear that it had an anti-British subtext, or even text, I'd be entirely in favour.
Latest Forum Posts