Non-motoring > Burning feet Miscellaneous
Thread Author: MD Replies: 26

Burning feet - MD
I have developed a severe aching/burning sensation in and around both feet. With the left foot it is underside, but only on the outside edge if you like, between the front edge of the heel and the base of the toes.

On the right the pain started in the middle toe some 3-4 weeks ago and now mainly manifests around and a little above the outer ankle bone.

Bloods taken today, but two Doctors have ruled out Gout for now. It is getting worse by the day and has become very uncomfortable. Has anybody else experienced anything like it?

Thanks, MD.
 Burning feet - Dog
Do you suffer from diabetes MD?
 Burning feet - MD
Not that I know of Sire. I get checked for most things due to the previous cancer stuff, but that's a good call to be fair. I have been imbibing a little more just lately due to a similar situation that Ambo found himself in.

Perhaps I should desist for a while. Thank you.
 Burning feet - Roger.
My feet and lower limbs/ankles hurt - sciatica!
 Burning feet - Stuartli
Check out Paresthesia as a possibility:

www.rightdiagnosis.com/p/paresthesia/intro.htm

Also:

www.livestrong.com/article/67395-causes-symptoms-burning-aching/

Burning feet - legacylad
I have never heard of Pare whatever. Amazing the stuff you learn on here
 Burning feet - CGNorwich
Reading the various afflictions of the foot on the NHS site I would plum for Metatarsalgia

"is the term for pain that occurs in the front section of the foot.
It's is often described as a burning or aching pain that ranges from mild to severe and gets worse when walking. It can affect one or several toes near the ball of your foot, or sometimes the entire foot.

Anything that puts extra strain or pressure on the ball of your foot can bring on the pain – for example, wearing tight-fitting shoes for a long period of time, high impact sports, or being overweight. Older people are more susceptible to metatarsalgia."

That seems a close fit to the symptoms you describe

www.nhs.uk/conditions/foot-pain/pages/introduction.aspx#metatarsalgia

That will be 50 Guineas
 Burning feet - Zero
I suffer from Plantar Fasciitis if I get shoes without a good arch support.
 Burning feet - J Bonington Jagworth
"Plantar Fasciitis"

That does sound like a Douglas Adams character.. :-)

Hotblack Desiato (the front man for the band Disaster Area) was purloined from a N.London estate agent's sale sign that Adams once drove past.
 Burning feet - VxFan
>> I suffer from Plantar Fasciitis

I've got one of those at those at the moment. Feels like someone's put stone in my shoe. Darn painful it is.

I've never heard of it before, but nearly everyone I've spoken to has also either had it, or knows someone else who has.
 Burning feet - MD
CG. Walking itself is not a problem and does not seem to exacerbate the condition. Thank you all for the interesting replies so far. The bloods should be back by Friday and I'll see the Doc' then for a report (I hope)

The 50 Guineas will, I presume, be acceptable as cash?
 Burning feet - Manatee

>> The 50 Guineas will, I presume, be acceptable as cash?

Pigs.
 Burning feet - CGNorwich
Of course. Standard Builder's terms.
 Burning feet - MD
I had yet to mention the discount for said method. Works both ways allegedly.

Now, back to feet>>>
 Burning feet - bathtub tom
>> Of course. Standard Builder's terms.

Wonder if a VAT receipt would be wanted?

;>)
 Burning feet - MD
Only if your'e registered BT. Would you care to expand on your other work activities? 0:-)
Last edited by: MD on Tue 25 Aug 15 at 20:15
 Burning feet - Armel Coussine
Dunno what it's called, but I often get shooting pains and almost seizures in my wrists and fingers, very persistent. Oddly, if I need to lift anything heavy or deploy manual strength, there doesn't seem to be much problem. Of course I'm no Samson and have smallish hands.

A folk remedy that seemed to work was raisins soaked in gin, but I was predisposed in its favour.

The older you get the more booze and drugs (when available) seem to give temporary relief. Just saying. Don't want to encourage depravity or anything.
 Burning feet - MD
Keep advising.............

Back in a mo....
 Burning feet - MD
Rugger...........out of ice. Neat then it is......
 Burning feet - Slidingpillar
Gin is good for dental pain... Probably retired now, but a consultant at the Royal Free in Hampstead agreed with me!
 Burning feet - Zero
>> Gin is good for dental pain... Probably retired now, but a consultant at the Royal
>> Free in Hampstead agreed with me!

He died of cirrhosis of the liver.
 Burning feet - Armel Coussine
>> He died of cirrhosis of the liver.

Something will get you sooner or later, and you might as well die cheerful. Of course there's no call to shorten your life unduly with piggish excess, tempting though it may seem. How old was the guy?

'In nothing too much.' Easier said than done but there's no harm in trying to stay on an even keel with intelligent moderation.
 Burning feet - legacylad
For arch support have you tried Superfeet footbeds? They replace the normal liners in footwear, and come in different volumes & sizes ( cut to fit). Blue & black are low volume for shoes/ trail shoes, green for boots etc, red for ski boots. I began wearing them over ten years ago. Designed to cup the heel and so keep it in place, and support the arch. They last for years and can be scrubbed in hot soapy water. I wear them in all my walking footwear, and 'around town' casual footwear. Initially they do seem rather strange, primarily because of the arch being supported, but you adjust within the hour!
They also do a made to measure but IMHO a waste of money....had some made in Braemar 10+ years ago and no better than off the peg.
 Burning feet - Duncan
>> For arch support have you tried Superfeet footbeds?

>> IMHO a waste of money....

My selective editing.

But, £30 odd for a pair of insoles?
 Burning feet - legacylad
Duncan, they have a money back guarantee, but you do need to buy from an authorised seller, who can advise on the correct type for the relevant footwear. I worked for a few years in an outdoor gear shop, and recommended them. Over that time we sold hundreds, literally, and I only recall a few returns.
It always amazed me that people would pay £100+ on footwear which had the crapiest cheapo insole. Happy to say I converted lots of older traditional leather and fabric boot wearers to try out much lighter trail shoes. Boots are ok if you need ankle support, but all the long distance walkers I know use trail shoes, and I wear them in winter on hard pack snow with a good pair of micro spikes.
 Burning feet - Duncan
>> Duncan, they have a money back guarantee, but you do need to buy from an
>> authorised seller, who can advise on the correct type for the relevant footwear. I worked
>> for a few years in an outdoor gear shop, and recommended them. Over that time
>> we sold hundreds, literally, and I only recall a few returns.
>> It always amazed me that people would pay £100+ on footwear which had the crapiest
>> cheapo insole. Happy to say I converted lots of older traditional leather and fabric boot
>> wearers to try out much lighter trail shoes. Boots are ok if you need ankle
>> support, but all the long distance walkers I know use trail shoes, and I wear
>> them in winter on hard pack snow with a good pair of micro spikes.
>>

Sorry LL, I was teasing you over the price.

In the days when I did a lot of walking I used Sorbothane insoles:-

tinyurl.com/q4a8mvc

Nowadays with gout in one foot and plantar fasciitis in the other I need insoles for different reasons. Sorbothane are quite a bit cheaper.
 Burning feet - Harleyman
AC; I had similar,was sorted by a series of visits to a chiropractor who diagnosed bad posture.

That sort of thing is a common ailment amongst my fellow lorry drivers, and is sometimes referred to as "trucker's back". Caused by sitting for long periods; moderate exercise does help of course and in my case it's provided by occasionally having to handball the product (animal feeds in either 20kg or 25kg bags) into a shop or a farmer's shed. Another symptom is difficulty in raising one's arm above the head.
Last edited by: Harleyman on Wed 26 Aug 15 at 13:56
Latest Forum Posts