Non-motoring > Freezer capacity Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Dog Replies: 28

Freezer capacity - Dog
My new pup came with 2kg of the raw food which the breeder has reared him on [ www.naturalinstinct.com/ ]

It comes frozen in 1 kg containers.

I'll have to buy another blimming small freezer to keep his grub in so, the question is:

How many 1kg packs of grub would it take to fill a 35 litre freezer?
Last edited by: VxFan on Sat 5 Sep 15 at 16:57
 Freezer capacity - Bromptonaut
What's the approximate volume of a 1kg bag?
 Freezer capacity - Dog
Good point Brompt! ... 100 x 60 cm
 Freezer capacity - R.P.
Isn't one Kg the same in volume as 1 litre ?
 Freezer capacity - No FM2R
1kg of water. Not, for example, 1kg of either feathers or lead.

In fact the weight of the bag is not relevant when trying to work out how much volume it required.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Sat 5 Sep 15 at 17:03
 Freezer capacity - R.P.
Ha of course ! :-) Spent the afternoon being interrogated by a Social Worker - so head's gone/
 Freezer capacity - Focusless
>> In fact the weight of the bag is not relevant when trying to work out
>> how much volume it required.

Shelf layout might be though, unless you intend to (and can) take them all out.
>>Shelf layout might be though

Good point.

So Doug, we need the dimensions of the freezer, not just its total capacity.
It has three measurements Doug,

100 x 60 x ?
 Freezer capacity - Dog
Right! ... ignore the first sizes [you know I'm a feet & inches man]

The size of the tub is: 160cm x 100cm x 80cm
 Freezer capacity - bathtub tom
>> Good point Brompt! ... 100 x 60 cm

That's three foot by two (in old money). Sure it's not dried food, in which case I wouldn't think it needs freezing.
 Freezer capacity - Dog
Oh Jesus bathtub, they are not THAT big :) ... okay, they are roughly 6" x 4" x 3"

And, it is frozen 'raw' food.
Last edited by: Dog on Sat 5 Sep 15 at 17:27
16x10x8cm = 1280sqcm which is 1.28 litre so you should be able to fit 27 packets

But i'm in a traffic jam calculating in my head so sorry if wrong.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Sat 5 Sep 15 at 17:54
 Freezer capacity - Focusless
>> 16x10x8cm = 1280sqcm which is 1.28 litre so you should be able to fit 27
>> packets

...or significantly less (I think) if the bags are stiff and the dimensions of the freezer aren't multiples of the bag dimensions. (And see earlier comment about shelves.)
Last edited by: Focusless on Sat 5 Sep 15 at 18:06
 Freezer capacity - Dog
>>...or significantly less (I think) if the bags are stiff and the dimensions of the freezer aren't multiples of the bag dimensions. (And see earlier comment about shelves.)

As long as I can stuff about 20 tubs in there, it'll be a goer.
 Freezer capacity - Dog
Thanks Mark, sorry I got the sizes wrong to begin with, believe it or not I used to only use metric measurements at work way back in the 1970's.
 Freezer capacity - Zero
Dump the idea of faddy food like this, and therefore the need for a freezer, and feed it dried dog food (kibble)
 Freezer capacity - Dog
Well, you're not wrong Mr Z. Milo thrived on kibble, although he started out on raw mince & stale bread - as recommended by my vet in Newquay, who graduated from veterinary college in 1952, so an old school merchant.

I'll have to post a pic of Beau (Her choice!) the Beauceron so you can see how well he's doing on raw food.

Here's another product from the same Co. www.nutriment.co/
 Freezer capacity - Zero
This is very well thought of by sporting dog owners

www.millieswolfheart.co.uk

Evie gets fed this

www.autarkyfoods.com Specially as the list price is 26 quid a bag, and Costco do it at 13

Freezer capacity - Dog
Thanks, I'll check those out more when I come back from walkies. That pic on the Autarky site looks like Evie.
 Freezer capacity - Zero
Nah, can't be - its not scowling.
 Freezer capacity - MD
The DAWG not you :-)
 Freezer capacity - Dog
CALLING MR ZED

I'm thinking of feeding my two dogs this. What d'you reckon?

www.millieswolfheart.co.uk/COUNTRYSIDE-MIX

The 6 month old Pointer is on Skinners field & trial puppy which produces a lot stinky stuff at t'other end.

The 9 week old Beauceron is on the Natural Instinct raw food which produces hardly anything from the exhaust,
and doesn't smell at all :o)
 Freezer capacity - Robbie34
My two Cockers are fed on Millies Wolfheart. It is grain free and reckoned to be one of the best dry foods you can get. www.allaboutdogfood.co.uk/

I changed from raw feeding as I go away in the caravan and it's almost impossible to feed raw in those circumstances.

Their delivery service is second to none. Order before two o'clock and you will get the food next day - except at weekends and bank holidays. Comes via DPD who email you to let you know the approximate time of arrival.
 Freezer capacity - sooty123
We feed ours on Chudley's crunch and then working dog mix in the winter. Costs about £15 a bag.
 Freezer capacity - sooty123
Missed the edit.

www.chudleys.com/products/working-dog-range/working-crunch.html
 Freezer capacity - Dog
Ere tis, Beau the Beauceron at 8 weeks young: m.flickr.com/#/photos/43576259@N04/20548857463/
 Freezer capacity - legacylad
When I started out in the retail pet business there were very few complete foods. Vitalin, Supadog 1 & 3 spring to mind. I used to sell my own mix in the shops, ' Special' ( not the Royston Vasey type) and Winter Special. I think WS had more dried meat in it. Things have moved on a lot since then . As have I. My last two mutts have been fed on various kibble dried foods.
 Freezer capacity - Dog
Thanks to all.

I'll order a large bag of Millies Wolfheart and slowly change them over to that I think
That raw stuff (Natural Instinct) is quite amazing though - hardly anything comes out of the other end :)

Milo, my Ridgeback started off on raw food - raw mince with stale wholemeal bread, as recommended by my vet at the time, he was old-school, graduated in 1952, a good vet though, didn't charge like the light brigade either,
unlike a lot of vets these days, I hear.

Latest Forum Posts