Non-motoring > Lumpy bumpy lawn Miscellaneous
Thread Author: legacylad Replies: 9

Lumpy bumpy lawn - legacylad
Having remodelled my old Mums garden I now have 15 rubble sacks full of decent top soil. Should I just tip it on my lawn where there are hollows, rake it level, then sprinkle on grass seed? Or add lawn sand to help drainage. I'm away soon until early Nov so it will be left to its own devices.
Thanks for any advice
 Lumpy bumpy lawn - henry k
>>.... Or add lawn sand to help drainage.
I assume you intended to write something like sand suitable for the lawn.
"lawn sand" is a ferrous mix for killing moss.
Common advice to aid drainage is to use a hollow tine aerator and then brush suitable sand into the holes. Good exercise!! or use a beasty like this
www.hss.com/hire/p/powered-lawn-aerator-hollowl
 Lumpy bumpy lawn - No FM2R
New seed tends to go a bit T's up if you leave it alone for too long. The grass falls over and mats.

Now, put the earth in the hollows, slap a turf on top and sod off for a few months, unless we get a drought, is likely to work quite well.
 Lumpy bumpy lawn - Armel Coussine
Our back lawn here isn't lumpy and bumpy give or take the odd manhole cover but it's an inconvenient shape.

I nearly had to mow it yesterday but a youth did it instead and saved me.
 Lumpy bumpy lawn - CGNorwich
New lawn seed wiil be fine. In fact this is the best the to sow and you will not be cutting it until.next spring. If the depressions are not tooo deep you won' t need seed . Just add the sieved earth so that the existing grass is just peeping through

Lumpy bumpy lawn - legacylad
The lawn is approx 60' x 20'.... It used to be a sheep field until 15 yo when the properties were built. The undulations between peak and trough vary between 6'' and 12'' so it really is up and down. I would probably need at least a dozen bulk bags of topsoil to make a start, and the contents would have to be hand balled up two patios. I don't fancy rotavating it then raking level and reseeding.
I think I will go initially for the idea of dumping my 15 rubble sacks worth of soil around the edges then turf over.
Later I will ask advice from a small gardening outfit who live just behind me. Just to see if rotavation is feasible, and if so, how much. It is rocky ground so may be a non starter.
Thanks
 Lumpy bumpy lawn - Aretas
Aerating with a fork is awful if you have dodgy knees. I use an electric drill with a 450cm 12mm auger bit.
 Lumpy bumpy lawn - Zero
you drill holes in your lawn?
 Lumpy bumpy lawn - Aretas
450cm should read 450mm
Drilling holes in lawn is no different to using a hollow tine aerator - I assume - did it for the first time this year on a 40 year old lawn. Then applied a sharp sand/compost/top soil mix and brushed it in. Ask me in late May if it was useful or a waste of time.!
 Lumpy bumpy lawn - No FM2R
It must be a long old job though.
Latest Forum Posts