Non-motoring > LED/Tungsten equivalents Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Ambo Replies: 14

LED/Tungsten equivalents - Ambo
Can any one please tell me what the equivalent LED wattage to Tungsten wattage bulbs is, notably Tungsten 40, 60, 100 and 150 watts?

I realise this has been raised in the past but it is only now I need to buy one.
 LED/Tungsten equivalents - Bromptonaut
I've not seen LED that claims more than 50w equivalent - a GU10 spot/flood jobbie. Most are in the 40w or less area.

If you can find a conversion for watts to lumens for tungsten you'll probably find comparison easier as most LED are labelled in lumens.

One example of a conversion table here:

www.thelightbulb.co.uk/resources/lumens_watts
 LED/Tungsten equivalents - Zero
>> I've not seen LED that claims more than 50w equivalent - a GU10 spot/flood jobbie.
>> Most are in the 40w or less area.

www.amazon.co.uk/LT-Lighting-Brightest-Incandescent-Replacement/dp/B00BHBGETM/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1443171613&sr=8-2&keywords=100+watt+led
Incandescent>LED
40>4 - 5
60>6 - 8
100>11-13
Last edited by: Zero on Fri 25 Sep 15 at 10:01
 LED/Tungsten equivalents - Fursty Ferret
There isn't a 100w LED equivalent yet (if you find one in the shops, it's been mis-sold).

Go for lumens, instead of watts. A 100W incandescent bulb chucks out between 1600-2000 lumens. The best LED bulb is about 850 lumens.

And then you have the hassle of colour temperatures and spectrum. Philips and Osram tend to have the worst, the cheap in-house (LAP, Diall etc) the best. Don't know why this is the case.

Don't go lower than 2800K or it'll look really yellow; higher than 5000K will look noticeably blue, whereas I find that 3000K is perfect for pretty much anything. 4000K is good for bathrooms and kitchens.

>> The best LED bulb is about 850 lumens.

1,050 lumens

www.led-supplier.co.uk/b22-a60-led-bulb-12-watts-b2212002
>>
>> >> The best LED bulb is about 850 lumens.
>>
>> 1,050 lumens
>>
>> www.led-supplier.co.uk/b22-a60-led-bulb-12-watts-b2212002
>>

Depends how you measure lumens. And they're saying it's equivalent to a 120W tungsten, which it isn't.
 LED/Tungsten equivalents - Aretas
An if you want a quality one:

www.ecosaveledlights.co.uk/philips-led-light-bulb-18-100w.html

....except they appear to be out of stock.

I believe a big problem for LED bulbs is getting rid of the heat, which the LEDs don't like. Hence, 100W equivalent ones are hard to find.

>> Depends how you measure lumens.

Sorry, didn't know you were referring to your own special lumens.
 LED/Tungsten equivalents - sherlock47
I have used some of these, at 40p each surprisingly good value. Used in old garden light globes, with a 12v dc supply.

www.banggood.com/10W-Warm-Pure-White-High-Brightest-Save-Power-LED-Light-Lamp-p-88169.html

Nor sure on longetivity but mounted on some copper heatsink (sophisticated, 20cm of end crushed flat 22mm pipe), but only time tell.

If you want real powe not sure how good these will be, or the size of the heatsink needed.

www.banggood.com/50W-4000LM-Pure-or-Warm-White-High-Bright-LED-Light-Lamp-Chip-32-34V-p-83198.html

But could be promising.
 LED/Tungsten equivalents - sherlock47
Missed this one!

100w giving a claimed 9000 lumens

www.banggood.com/100W-Warm-Pure-White-High-Brightest-Save-Power-LED-Light-Lamp-p-84975.html

I have had several items from this supplier, very prompt shipment within Europe and initaial reactions look good.

However the mains powered LED flood lights look a bit iffy from an electrtical construction point of view. But mechanically look good.
Last edited by: sherlock47 on Fri 25 Sep 15 at 16:56
Snipquote!!!!!
>> www.banggood.com/100W-Warm-Pure-White-High-Brightest-Save-Power-LED-Light-Lamp-p-84975.html

I bought one of those to play with. It's basically fake and you'd be better with their 20W version which chucks out about the same light, but will last far longer.
Last edited by: VxFan on Fri 25 Sep 15 at 16:59
>>
>> >> Depends how you measure lumens.
>>
>> Sorry, didn't know you were referring to your own special lumens.
>>

Measured vs generated is very different for LED.

Manufacturers can put whatever lumen rating they want on the packaging. What they'll have done is taken the theoretical maximum from the LED spec and multiplied it by the number of LEDs to get the magic lumen number.

This is generally not accurate for multiple reasons - power supply not perfect, temperature, optics, LED binning etc and the actual measurement is usually about 20% down on the claimed value.

To find out how many lumens you're actually putting out means sticking the light in something called an integrating sphere, which costs about £40,000 and gives you a measurement below what you're looking for.

So that's how my special lumens work.

>> So that's how my special lumens work.

Thats a smokescreen and you know it.
 LED/Tungsten equivalents - Ambo
Many thanks for the mass of information - clearly not a user-friendly business. The Amazon picture reminded me that I once bought a similar bulb, Zero, but is had a massive finned metal heat sink whereas that one looks like plastic. Mine had a massive finned, metal heat sink and was, I felt, far too heavy for pendant use. The design of the sink was such that the it would not fit the (bayonet) sockets anyway, hence could not be used upright in a standard lamp either.
Latest Forum Posts