Non-motoring > First time Uber user Miscellaneous
Thread Author: legacylad Replies: 15

First time Uber user - legacylad
I very rarely use taxis back home... Despite living in the country we have hourly bus services to Skipton and probably 8 trains a day sp plenty of choice when choosing to not use the car.
However, I'm currently in a place with poor public transport, and baggage, and having paid for three expensive taxis recently, decided to try this Uber thingy. Having finally got a new Sim ( the nearest AT & T was a 20 minute taxi drive away on a sprawling mall area) and wifi in my cheapo motel, it's now been downloaded, c card details entered, so going to have a go at summoning a ride this morning.
Just hope my card details are secure.... I don't always trust these things. I shall report back if I successfully move motels, from the very nice one I am currently in, albeit tough neighbourhood and no pool, to a more upmarket neighbourhood with pool. If I get murdered on the back seat it's been nice knowing you all.
Have a nice day
That was easy....cab/taxi turned up within 3 minutes. Spotlessly clean new vehicle, friendly chap, 30 minute journey across the city (18 miles) and an emailed receipt giving the total cost, $25, which was $5 over the estimate. No tips required and v impressed. I'm converted!
 First time Uber user - mikeyb
Its launched here in Bristol, but I've not used it yet - rarely get a taxi.

Played with the app on my phone though and interesting to see the map showing the nearest taxi.
 First time Uber user - No FM2R
I don't quite understand Uber.

Are these full time "taxi" drivers, or people who will do it if they're free?

Is the unique thing the booking process, or is it the driver/car arrangement as well?
Last edited by: No FM2R on Sun 27 Sep 15 at 21:01
Talking to the tour guide yesterday, and matey driver today, it can be either full time or part time. If you have a few hours spare, just log on and wait for customers. Drivers can also get customers from Lyft, a similar app I think, or at least my driver could, logging on & off once you have a 'fare'.
I was told that Uber take just over 20% in commission.
No idea on how drivers & vehicles are vetted, but there is a two way appraisal of driver & passenger at the end of the ride. Too many negatives and you will no longer be allowed to use the service, banned in effect, from either using or providing the service. That's probably over simplifying the system, and could be inaccurate.
 First time Uber user - Bromptonaut
>> I don't quite understand Uber.
>>
>> Are these full time "taxi" drivers, or people who will do it if they're free?
>>
>> Is the unique thing the booking process, or is it the driver/car arrangement as well?

AIUI it's an app allowing you to 'book' Private Hire Cars and thus comply with the law. You get the nearest car without the faff of making phone calls to Alpha, Beta etc cab companies.
 First time Uber user - Auntie Lockbrakes
Freelance drivers using their own vehicle is my understanding. Of course they are interviewed/vetted by Uber first of all. Every Uber driver I've travelled with seems happy with the set-up.

Biggest problem of course is protectionist local government pandering to the "traditional" cab companies and seeking to outlaw Uber on some fatuous regulation about taxi meters. Pah!

Uber has several imitators these days in various countries. I use them in Asia. Looks like the business model works!
It worked for me. Chatting to two charming Indan grls from NYC they spoke very highly of it. Probably won't catch on in Settle!
 First time Uber user - MD
How does one stand insurance wise?
 First time Uber user - Mapmaker
>> How does one stand insurance wise?
>>

They're private hire cars.

Here's how to become one; seems pretty simple.

driveuberuki.com/london

I'm surprised AC has found them happy with the service as in my experience they seldom speak much English. The only downside is if you don't know your destination postcode, they can't take you there. I tried to take one to Liverpool Street Station the other morning (for the Stansted Express); I live a couple of miles away, but "no postcode, no journey". Cue much faffing with mobile phone maps.
 First time Uber user - Slidingpillar
"no postcode, no journey". Cue much faffing with mobile phone maps.

Hmm, you're ok for a big building as it will have a unique postcode, but the location associated with others is more than a bit risky. Brother's shop has moved premises now, but the location of the postcode for that one wasn't even in the same road and the wrong side of a major road to boot. Local scout-hut's postcode is also in the wrong road which further reinforces the local myth that it is in that road (no access, and pre-dates the road too).
 First time Uber user - commerdriver
Also post codes for many large companies are where the post goes and nothing to do with their geographic locations. Have come across this several times over the years when trying to arrange new network connections.
 First time Uber user - Zero
>> Also post codes for many large companies are where the post goes and nothing to
>> do with their geographic locations. Have come across this several times over the years when
>> trying to arrange new network connections.

Indeed, often the nearest Royal Mail sorting office, tens of miles away from the actual location.
 First time Uber user - Bromptonaut
>> Indeed, often the nearest Royal Mail sorting office, tens of miles away from the actual
>> location.

Some outfits use discrete postcodes for different work areas. We had them in a building I worked in for several years. The final three letters for my office were 6HD; it sorted the mail out just fine but if I used it when quoting my work address for say a credit application it came up as not valid.

The 'proper' post code ending 6JX would work just fine.
 First time Uber user - commerdriver
>> Some outfits use discrete postcodes for different work areas.

Indeed, DVLA are a classic example post codes tell them what your enquiry is about. From what I remember none of them are geographically related to the Morriston office. But then half of Swansea works there so finding it isn't usually a problem :-)
Last edited by: commerdriver on Mon 28 Sep 15 at 15:29
I knew the exact address of where I was going.....street name & number, zip code etc. I accept the language problem though. U.S. & UK divided by a common language. Some AZ state drawl, with poor communication compounded by my Bradfordian/Dales dialect. Tha knows.
Latest Forum Posts