Non-motoring > Supermoom lunar eclipse ....... Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Haywain Replies: 38

Supermoom lunar eclipse ....... - Haywain
Anyone planning on getting out of bed to take a look?

I might if it fits in with a trip to the loo.
 Supermoom lunar eclipse ....... - Bromptonaut

>> I might if it fits in with a trip to the loo.

Roughly my thinking. Plus I need a good kip afer last night.
 Supermoom lunar eclipse ....... - No FM2R
We are; No. 1's telescope all set up and ready.

>> I need a good kip afer last night.

I hesitate to ask, but curiosity overwhelms me.....
 Supermoom lunar eclipse ....... - Zero
Pondering it, Just got back from a day at the beach with my son, his GF & dogs where Mrs Z had hired a beach hut for the day, the weather was stunning.

The moon on the way back looked very full, very big, very detailed in its topography,
>> Mrs Z had hired a beach hut for the day

I've always fancied owning one, but how well does renting it for a day work out?
>> >> Mrs Z had hired a beach hut for the day
>>
>> I've always fancied owning one, but how well does renting it for a day work
>> out?

Brilliant. It had all your chairs you need in it, a carpet to roll out in front, gas stove & kettle to make your tea and coffee, Table, BBQ if you needed it (we went and got take away Fish and chips) cups, plates, cutlery, a kite to fly, somewhere to get changed, Its a fantastic mini base on the beach. People wander along and chat to you.

Brilliant , just Brilliant.
Last edited by: Zero on Sun 27 Sep 15 at 21:14
Which is how I imagine it to be when owning one.

Was it expensive?
>> Which is how I imagine it to be when owning one.
>>
>> Was it expensive?

30 quid for the day, which when enjoyed by 5 or 6 of you is peanuts.
Last edited by: Zero on Sun 27 Sep 15 at 21:20
As you say, peanuts.

Another thing on the list. [sigh]
 Supermoom lunar eclipse ....... - Bromptonaut
>> I hesitate to ask, but curiosity overwhelms me.....

I was in Liverpool at a long standing work friend's birthday party. See subsequent thread.
>>I was in Liverpool at a long standing work friend's birthday party.

If you even think of mentioning a kebab after you can go and sit in the corner with Al.
 Supermoom lunar eclipse ....... - sooty123
Not heard when it is. But probably not, if it was in the sky when I'm out and about I'd glance up but i wouldn't make any special effort to look at it.
>> Not heard when it is.

3:00am is best I hear.
 Supermoom lunar eclipse ....... - sooty123

>> 3:00am is best I hear.
>>

Well in the land of nod by then.
 Supermoom lunar eclipse ....... - legacylad
7:47 PM prime viewing here in colonial land, with a duration of just over 5 hours.
Very convenient
23:47 here. (which is 03:47 UK)
Last edited by: No FM2R on Sun 27 Sep 15 at 21:15
 Supermoom lunar eclipse ....... - Dog
I would set the alarm for 3am and take some pics but, with two young pups I don't want to be disturbing them in the middle of the night so, I'll take my FZ 200 to bed with me as I usually get up for a piddle about that time anyway although, the moon will have shifted round to the West by then I should imagine so, no bueno from my boudoir.
 Supermoom lunar eclipse ....... - Pat
I've been up since 1.30am (as normal) but it's definitely worth watching in a crystal clear sky here in the Fen.

Pat

Been sat watching it in the motel pool. It's still in the high 80s so we had a 'pop up' pool party, fortunately one of the guests is a bar tender, so someone had a booze run to Walgreens for supplies.
An interesting way to spend a Sunday evening.
 Supermoom lunar eclipse ....... - Duncan
>> I've been up since 1.30am (as normal)

What time do you go to bed?
 Supermoom lunar eclipse ....... - Pat
Around 9pm Duncan.....not everyone needs 8 hours a night!

Pat
I got up for a jimmy just before 3am so decided to do what a man has to do and go outside in my knickers with camera in hand. The eclipse wasn't full at 3am here so I, um, hung about waiting for it :)

I got the willies at one point as I heard some strange noises from the little lane, which made me feel even colder. I saw the full eclipse eventually, which TBH didn't do a lot for me really, whereas the supermoom earlier when I took Cody out, and again at 5.50am in the Western sky was quite stunning.

Beau the Beauceron did his stuff as I tried to creep downstairs at 3am so he'll make a good watchdog.
 Supermoom lunar eclipse ....... - Ambo
Very bright at 01:30 but no eclipse. I witnessed the perigee once in Malaysia. The moon seemed huge by comparison, perhaps because the country is nearer to it, being close to the Equator, or maybe it was due to refraction. I saw it come over the horizon and it was like a theatre backdrop.
 Supermoom lunar eclipse ....... - Alanovich
I set the alarm for 3am and got the missus and children out of bed to see it. My lad has a very good set of binoculars (you can see Jupiter's moons with them). Quite a beautiful sight, glad we made the effort. I'm sure the children will remember it, they'll be proper grow-ups next time. And the sky was so, so clear here - in total contrast to the last few solar eclipses.
Perro, why do I have this image of you outside in your crusties a la Walter White in Breaking Bad? I almost choked on my Pacifico.
>> Perro, why do I have this image of you outside in your crusties a la Walter White in Breaking Bad?

Infamy, infamy. Yoos all got it in for me ... 1st it was JC [cor bin] then it was the geezer from Emma Dale, and now it's some follically-challenged git :)

Is this the rough part of NW Briton you live Ll:

www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01b3fvd/escape-to-the-country-series-12-23-lancashire
Lancashire Perro!
Soddin Lancashire?
Sunny N Yorkshire matey

I spit on your tostadas
Je suis désolé, I had you down for the Forest of Bowland, me ole son.
 Supermoom lunar eclipse ....... - Haywain
The sky was clear and the moon was big and bright when we went to bed (Bury St Edmunds). My wife set the alarm for 2.45am but when we looked from the window at that time, there was a thin haze. We gave it about a half-hour and saw the somewhat fuzzy redness, but we didn't feel sufficiently inspired to get the binoculars and camera nor to go outside in the cold. My eyes hadn't woken up properly either - that didn't help.
 Supermoom lunar eclipse ....... - Armel Coussine
I'm often up until 3 or 4 am so saw the eclipse. It was murkier weather in that quarter than last time there was an eclipse, and the orange sphere was fainter than the last time there was one of these, dark with a brighter highlight round the edge, and the directly illuminated sector on the lower edge seen from here, slipping lower still.

Actually at that time of the night what with one thing and another it reminded me of a grinning devil to look at (quite like the one on the C4P pink stripe of death). The good thing about it was that one could see it (through glass double glazing though) without going outside, so even Herself had a look.
 Supermoom lunar eclipse ....... - Fenlander
Youngest daughter is a bit of a hippy and wanted to see this so I kept her company at the allotted time. This is my best image with a Panasonic bridge camera on tripod. Manual focus & some scene mode which gave the best result... 2sec self timer to avoid camera shake.

Just a few minutes away from the maximum orange...

s245.photobucket.com/user/SealgairC420/media/Supermoon_zpsafkz5kwk.jpg.html
Last edited by: Fenlander on Tue 29 Sep 15 at 09:38
Wow!
Yep I thought it way better than I'd expected. It's the FZ150... the model under yours Dog. Forgot to say it was on full zoom.... equivalent to a 600mm on the old 35mm SLR.

Full zoom ~ Amazing! .. There must have been some low cloud here because it didn't look picworthy to me, unlike the full moon itself - which is still wowworthy.
Nice pic 4th one down ;-)

www.theguardian.com/science/gallery/2015/sep/28/blood-moon-supermoon-rises-pictures-from-around-the-world
I'm sure some of the images online have been fiddled... that's a very substantial moon in pic 4!
>>that's a very substantial moon in pic 4!

LOL

Howls about the pic at Glastonbury Tor, do you reckon that has been 'shopped', or is a shot like that possible?
 Supermoom lunar eclipse ....... - henry k
>> Howls about the pic at Glastonbury Tor, do you reckon that has been 'shopped', or is a shot like that possible?
>>
google shows other photos. e.g

photographyblog.dallasnews.com/files/2015/07/moon_02.jpg
>> >> Howls about the pic at Glastonbury Tor, do you reckon that has been 'shopped',
>> or is a shot like that possible?
>> >>
>> google shows other photos. e.g
>>
>> photographyblog.dallasnews.com/files/2015/07/moon_02.jpg

Deffo photoshopped that one.
Latest Forum Posts