Non-motoring > EU voting thread - Volume 6 Miscellaneous
Thread Author: VxFan Replies: 44

EU voting thread - Volume 6 - VxFan

Continuing discussion.

Last edited by: VxFan on Thu 1 Oct 15 at 12:45
 Will a German backlash start? - Roger.
www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/germany/11902296/Second-German-woman-evicted-from-her-home-to-make-way-for-refugees.html
 Will a German backlash start? - Haywain
I haven't seen any more footage of people and their 'welcome' boards just lately.
 Catching them young. - Roger.
www.breitbart.com/london/2015/10/01/yes-there-is-eu-propaganda-in-schools-and-its-worse-than-you-think/
 Catching them young. - Alanovich
Is there any chance we can have a moratorium on members of political parties attempting to advance their agenda through this discussion forum? I have no problem with people having strong views, but just posting up links is against the ethos of the board. If you've got an article to discuss, post a comment with it and try to debate it, don't just shove it in our faces. It's tedious and pointless.

If it was Brompters posting Morning Star articles about wonderful Jeremy Corbyn and not attempting to deabte it, I'd say the same.

Cheers.

Must go to the rugby soon.
 Catching them young. - No FM2R
>>Must go to the rugby soon.

Bet you wish you hadn't.

Cymru am byth.
 Catching them young. - Alanovich
>> >>Must go to the rugby soon.
>>
>> Bet you wish you hadn't.
>>
>> Cymru am byth.
>>

Eh? I had a great time. Enjoyed the NZ v Georgia match most.

I think you're forgetting I'm a neutral when it comes to the England Wales rivalry. My lot are still in it (until Samoa decide it's time they put a performance in).
 Is the tide turning? - Roger.
I see that David Cameron has said he does not "rule our" a Brexits, but perhaps of greater weight (!) the boss of GE (17,000 UK employees) has said it does not mater if the UK is in or out of the EU.
Link (!) www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/economics/11909652/Britains-place-in-the-EU-does-not-matter-says-GE-chief.html
 Is the tide turning? - Manatee
>> I see that David Cameron has said he does not "rule our" a Brexits,

So unlike the leader of the opposition, he has not yet given away the farm by disclosing that he would never press the button.
 Is the tide turning? - Roger.
>> >> I see that David Cameron has said he does not "rule our" a Brexits,
>>
>>
>> So unlike the leader of the opposition, he has not yet given away the farm
>> by disclosing that he would never press the button.

Mere posturing.
We all know he will campaign to stay in (at almost any price).
 EU voting thread - Volume 6 - Dog
A brilliant speech from Nigel Farage - Telling it like it is: bcove.me/86bz94tc
 EU voting thread - Volume 6 - Alanovich
>> A brilliant speech from Nigel Farage - Telling it like it is: bcove.me/86bz94tc
>>

Telling it like it is!

Common Sense!

These are usually the calls of those who can't, or don't want to, get to grips with complex issues, rather they prefer to assert ill-conceived opinion as fact. For whatever reason.

Don't trust 'em, Pike.
 EU voting thread - Volume 6 - Westpig
What a strange thing for Juncker to say:

www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/eu/11931482/Britain-does-not-need-European-Union-says-Jean-Claude-Juncker.html

Misquoted perhaps?
 EU voting thread - Volume 6 - Roger.
>> What a strange thing for Juncker to say:
>>
>> www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/eu/11931482/Britain-does-not-need-European-Union-says-Jean-Claude-Juncker.html
>>
>> Misquoted truth perhaps?
Fixed it for you!
>> >> Misquoted truth perhaps?
>> Fixed it for you!
>>
Yes, I understand where you are coming from, we both see it the same way... but in the interests of understanding your opponent (or trying to), why on earth would the President of the EU state that the EU needs the UK, but the UK does not need the EU?

What's his angle?

It hardly helps the people over here who wish to remain in the EU.

I feel I've missed something.
 EU voting thread - Volume 6 - No FM2R
I can't make up my mind whether he said "I don't" or "I do".
Fair enough, his aides are saying he said "do" even though some heard it as "don't"... and a Telegraph article covers it by saying he's not a native English speaker.

www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/eu/11931482/Britain-does-not-need-European-Union-says-Jean-Claude-Juncker.html
Now we know!

The E.U. has powers, un-shown and shown, undreamt of by so many people.

More power/ammunition to the Leave E.U. Group (NOT Leave Europe as wrongly spun)

Largely to placate the EU, the President of Portugal - under what pressure I wonder - has refused to let the absolute parliamentary majority gained by those allied parties on the left count for anything, by not calling on these majority parties to form a government.
This coalition wants out of the E.U, return of the escudo and no EU enforced austerity.

Story here, from The Daily Telegraph.

tinyurl.com/oo9csnh

EU voting thread - Volume 6 - Bromptonaut
>> Story here, from The Daily Telegraph.
>>
>> tinyurl.com/oo9csnh

Domestic constitutional crisis. Even the Telegraph article isn't really saying anything else.
>>Now we know!

Now we know what?

As I understand the election process gave the incumbent first place. However, he hasn't got an absolute majority and the left wing groups have said that they'll all join together and form a Government - which of course would be unelected and only the possessor of a majority by virtue an extended coalition - even then only 50.7%, hardly a resounding majority.

By far the majority of the electorate would not have voted for the majority of that Government, it being an agreement between quite disparate groups.

e.g. the majority of people, by a long way, voted for parties who wish to retain the Euro, but it is somehow acceptable that the "coalition" can say that they have a mandate for leaving the Euro?

That is not to say that the "right" things are occurring, but making this out to be the exercise of some phantom EU powers, of representing the left wing "coalition" as somehow more "legitimate" than the minority Government, is disingenuous in the extreme.

I think you need to stop posting links to headlines that you like the sound of, and actually try to work out what is going on in the real world.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Fri 23 Oct 15 at 20:44
Tories & LibDems?
Disparate groups forming a government.
And which many people complained about, but at least the "winning" party was involved.

AND IT WAS NOTHING TO DO WITH HIDDEN POWERS OF THE EU
Yanis Varoufakis on Europe, UKIP and Post-Capitalism:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=X034u2pls3M&feature=youtu.be
 Better off IN? - Roger.
....the IN campaign's latest poster plus a pretty good debunking of it!

order-order.com/2015/10/26/in-claim-out-uk-will-pay-for-no-say/
 Better off IN? - No FM2R
So the thrust of your / this argument is that the UK fights against many proposals (which is not what you've said before) but loses quite a lot of them and so therefore it would be better if it didn't have a vote at all?

There is an argument for leaving the EU, but this mass of bunk, illiterate and ill informed junk, cack, misinformation and lies is just undermining what might otherwisel be a credible point of view.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Mon 26 Oct 15 at 13:58
 Better off IN? - Mapmaker
>>There is an argument for leaving the EU, but this mass of bunk, illiterate and ill informed
>>junk, cack, misinformation and lies is just undermining what might otherwisel be a credible point of view.

It's why the 'no' campaign has no hope. They're a bunch of fruit cakes. I tend more towards 'out' than 'in' but I could never throw my hat in the ring with that lot.
 Better off IN? - Bromptonaut
www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/oct/29/us-warns-britain-it-could-face-trade-barriers-if-it-leaves-eu

Two thoughts:

(a) the usual perp in international bullying is showing its hand

(b) the path to post EU free trade may not be as smooth as the 'Out' campaign would like us to believe.
 Better off IN? - Slidingpillar
Just about any public statement or newspaper article these days is so tempered with the writer's in/out (shake it all about?) dogma that the chances of seeing a straight piece of reporting is about zero.

Even as someone very non-political I can see why the US does not have a separate FTA with the UK; it simply has had no need since we joined the EU. So yes, it's an issue, but is it a problem? Article sheds no light at all really.
Last edited by: Slidingpillar on Thu 29 Oct 15 at 09:35
 Better off IN? - Roger.
If the Cousins want to trade with us an FTA will happen. Money talks louder than anything.
 Better off IN? - Robin O'Reliant
>>>>
>> (b) the path to post EU free trade may not be as smooth as the
>> 'Out' campaign would like us to believe.
>>
Then again, here's a good reason for telling the US to shove it -

www.independent.co.uk/voices/comment/what-is-ttip-and-six-reasons-why-the-answer-should-scare-you-9779688.html
 Better off IN? - madf
I see the believers in "the UK can punch above its weight as it is a big country" still live in these forums..
 Better off IN? - Manatee
Punching at its weight should be sufficient. UK is the world's 6th largest trading nation, ahead of e.g. South Korea (just), Canada, India, Russia, UAE to name a few.

In fact, by imports we are 5th, sadly by exports 9th, but from the point of view of negotiating tariffs that would seem to be an advantage.
Last edited by: Manatee on Thu 29 Oct 15 at 18:50
 Better off IN? - Dog
>>I see the believers in "the UK can punch above its weight as it is a big country" still live in these forums..

Are you related to William Joyce I wonder.
 Better off IN? - Manatee

>> Are you related to William Joyce I wonder.

A friend of mine does have that distinction! He doesn't tell everybody.
 Dear Leader - Dog
For 3 hours from 10:00pm Sunday night on LBC ... Don't miss it :)

www.lbc.co.uk/lbc-schedule-3636
 Sweden is "facing collapse" - Roger.
This IS a Daly Mail link (!), but it appears to quote a Swedish Government Minister. (I wonder how long she'll keep her job?)

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3297317/Swedish-Foreign-Minister-claims-country-facing-collapse-mass-influx-refugees.html
 Cameron's Proposals - - Bromptonaut
Steve Bell's Take:

www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/picture/2015/nov/10/steve-bell-david-cameron-eu-reform-cartoon
 Cameron's Proposals - - Haywain
"Steve Bell's Take"

Grate stuff!
 Cameron's Proposals - - Armel Coussine
>> "Steve Bell's Take"

>> Grate stuff!

Awful I thought. Steve Bell is immensely variable ... I hated that one.
The forced collective suicide of European nations:

www.breitbart.com/london/2015/11/11/watch-anti-migrant-video-going-viral-across-europe/
 EU voting thread - Volume 6 - Bromptonaut
Do kippers have any sources apart from Breitbart and the Telegraph?
>> Do kippers have any sources apart from Breitbart and the Telegraph?
>>

Pot and kettle with The Guardian
 EU voting thread - Volume 6 - Manatee
I haven't watched it (internet too slow) but why not comment on the point rather than sneering at others?

Regardless of what is in the video, two things are clear -

- the overwhelming majority of the migrants are young men

- Merkel showed uncharacteristic stupidity, presumably thinking only of the political point she thought she was scoring. I have commented before on the apparent ignorance of politicians generally of the concept of moral hazard.

The Mail, Telegraph and Breitbart probably make too much of convenient facts or posit biased explanations to serve their own purpose.

The Guardian probably chooses not to report on or look behind inconvenient ones.

All news/comment should be treated with some scepticism. Most of us will have had the experience of reading a report about our own area of expertise. They are nearly always at least half rubbish and frequently miss the main point. Why should articles on other topics be any more reliable?
>> The forced collective suicide of European nations:
>>
>> www.breitbart.com/london/2015/11/11/watch-anti-migrant-video-going-viral-across-europe/
>>

Oh dear. I find myself agreeing with a Donald Trump quote?
www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/12009948/When-will-our-leaders-face-up-to-the-truth-that-the-EU-is-a-gigantic-sham.html
Latest Forum Posts