Non-motoring > Google tracking you Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Crankcase Replies: 15

Google tracking you - Crankcase
We all know Mr Google tracks you if you have a mobile phone and use any Google app.

You may not know that if you go to this link, it will show you the data they have gathered about your journeys, including how long you stopped at places.

www.google.com/maps/timeline

If you didn't know they were doing this and you care, you can also turn off tracking at this link.

If you didn't know and don't care then you can have a coffee instead.

If you did know and don't care, then sorry for wasting your time.

If you did know and do care, then you already decided that was ok I guess.

EDIT: Mine is pretty patchy. That might be cos the O2 signal is crappy everywhere I go.

Last edited by: Crankcase on Fri 2 Oct 15 at 11:00
 Google tracking you - Robin O'Reliant
As the proud owner of a dumb phone without even a camera, I'm going to have that coffee instead. And later, not having any children, I'm going to light a cigarette as I drive off in my car.
 Google tracking you - MD
Robin O rebel!
 Google tracking you - Bromptonaut
Interesting to see what it 'knows'. Most of the location spots it's fixed me at have been places where I've used hotel or camp-site wi-fi. Equally clear though that the satnav on my HUDL has been used to track/report exact route of journeys in both France and UK.

My movements for one day in August last year clearly show the route I took using the Pont de Brotonne to avoid Rouen.
 Google tracking you - Manatee
Google used to provide a breadcrumb trail, but I think that was discontinued some while back. I used to look at mine when I couldn't remember where I'd been!
 Google tracking you - Harleyman
Naff all on mine though they know my mobile number. Presumably because my location history is turned off; and it can damn well stay that way.
 Google tracking you - legacylad
Glad it doesn't track how long I spend in pubs
 Google tracking you - MD
>> Glad it doesn't track how long I spend in pubs
>>
With other peeps Wives!! :-0) 😋
 Google tracking you - Zero
my tracking history entirely depends on what google person I am signed on as. The most traveled one has me in Holt (norfolk) Gloucester, Folkestone, Poole, Calais, and Various bits of spain.
 Google tracking you - MD
Tart. I knew you got around a bit:-0)
 Google tracking you - Zero
>> Tart. I knew you got around a bit:-0)

If you drill down to the spanish ones, it seems to be a series of bars.
 Google tracking you - legacylad
Bars....currently n Rehab Burger, downtown Scottsdale. Cheap Dos Equis, gr8 burgers & salads. I have a gift for finding these places. Trouble is. Can't drag myself away once I get chatting to the locals
 Google tracking you - No FM2R
Crankcase -

Thanks for that, I had no idea.

I can't say I care about them tracking me, but I care quite a lot that they didn't tell me that they were doing so. Or if they did, that they didn't tell me more clearly.
 Google tracking you - Crankcase
Well, you don't mention it, but just in case this one also slipped by, you obviously know that they record your browser and search history too. You may not know you have some control of it here:

www.google.com/history

Or if you want to go the whole hog...

medium.com/productivity-in-the-cloud/6-links-that-will-show-you-what-google-knows-about-you-f39b8af9decc
 Google tracking you - Stuartli
You've not seen the Google Privacy panel then? It's quite large...:-)
 Google tracking you - Mapmaker
Ah. I've never logged in to google on my Phone. Always mean to, so as to have 'home' and 'work' saved in maps; but it only ever asks occasionally, and it's always irritating to log in at those points, and I've no idea how to log in unless it asks me to. So I never have.

Anyway; a reason not to, I guess.
Latest Forum Posts