Non-motoring > Just heard on the wireless.... Miscellaneous
Thread Author: zippy Replies: 7

Just heard on the wireless.... - zippy
Re the news of yet another shooting at a USA school.

A pro-gun spokesman said "if the righteous students were all armed then they would have been able to protect themselves".

Playground spats would be a bloodbath. Teachers would need to wear flack jackets.

Gawd, if everyone in the USA went around armed then the death rates from firearms would be in the 10s of thousands a week, imho.

I really wanted to put this in the "old jokes" thread!

Obama is right. The USA needs to get rid of its guns.
 Just heard on the wireless.... - Manatee
>>Obama is right. The USA needs to get rid of its guns

If you are the NRA, or one of many with its mind-set, then you think that events such as this show just how important it is to have the right to carry your own gun.

That's what he is up against.
 Just heard on the wireless.... - madf
s anyone knows, if you banned all guns in the USA tomorrow , it would take 50 years to see any difference. There are so many guns in circulation , c 300+million.
 Just heard on the wireless.... - zippy
>> s anyone knows, if you banned all guns in the USA tomorrow , it would
>> take 50 years to see any difference. There are so many guns in circulation ,
>> c 300+million.
>>

I agree, but you have to start somewhere!

The principal is to bear arms against dictators / the Govt. Perhaps local militias could keep the arms safe in a central compound in each town (overseen by the sheriff perhaps)?
Last edited by: zippy on Fri 2 Oct 15 at 12:46
 Just heard on the wireless.... - Manatee
Another pro-gun argument being that if you collect them all in, only the criminally minded will have them.

A friend of ours (female) has just returned from a US road trip, with a new handbag. On closer inspection that handy zipped pocket turned out to be a "concealed gun carry" feature.
 Just heard on the wireless.... - Zero

>> A friend of ours (female) has just returned from a US road trip, with a
>> new handbag. On closer inspection that handy zipped pocket turned out to be a "concealed
>> gun carry" feature.

A feature, that if used, could get you thrown in jail in some states. And there is the rub. The gun laws in the US vary by state to state, (often county to county or borough to borough within the state) from very restrictive to a free for all.
 Just heard on the wireless.... - Armel Coussine
I've always liked firearms. Among other things they are measuring instruments. They make some people very nervous but as with all things familiarity breeds, not contempt, but practical competence.

I bought an old but serviceable double-barrelled 12-bore many years ago, when I was driving a minicab in South London. It has hammer locks and a small amount of nice engraving around the breech. Pleased with this acquisition, I mentioned it to a minicabbing colleague, who surprised me by coming on very disapproving. 'Nah nah, shooters, that's a bit naughty that is,' he said more or less.

Later of course I realized he must be visualizing a sawn-off weapon stuck down the back of my trousers ready for a quick draw. A full length shooter was almost outside his experience.

I've still got it but haven't used it for years and don't suppose I ever will again. It's kept in a steel gun cabinet with a single-barrelled four-ten, a silenced .22 for rabbits and squirrels and a 30-06 for deer, none of them mine and the last two quite dangerous things to use in a wooded area, only for the restrained and intelligent. They are all legal and licensed (not to me).

Herself wants me to eliminate the squirrels which eat her bird food with the .22, but I'm putting it off. For one thing there are lots more where they came from so it's an endless task, and for another I have lost my taste for murder.
 Just heard on the wireless.... - legacylad
AZ, where I am at the moment, is an 'open carry' State. Or so I have been told. Which means that if you are packin you don't need to conceal. Can't say I have been looking but will keep an eye out.
A friend of mine backpacked the Tahoe Rim Trail a few years ago, was joined by a friends son, and he brought along a pistol & ammo. It's tough enough carrying tent, food, water but WTF. My friend was disgusted and looks upon him, still does, as a retarded Californian redneck.
Latest Forum Posts