Non-motoring > Digital voice recorders Miscellaneous
Thread Author: MD Replies: 15

Digital voice recorders - MD
has anyone any experience of these? Top pocket jobby preferred to disprove prevaricating customers.
 Digital voice recorders - WillDeBeest
iPhone. Face down on the table nobody would give it a second glance.

I have a Sony solid-state voice recorder I bought on impulse at Edinburgh airport in about 1999 and have never really used, but separate devices like this are redundant in the consumer market now that a smartphone can do it all.
 Digital voice recorders - Zero
Use your smart phone. Plenty of apps around, and you can leave your phone in view and they will never know.

No idea what, if any, laws you may be breaking if you record someone without their knowledge in a commercial transaction.
 Digital voice recorders - Bromptonaut
>> No idea what, if any, laws you may be breaking if you record someone without
>> their knowledge in a commercial transaction.

I don't know the specifics either but there must be a reason for 'this call may be recorded etc' messages in pretty much every call based operation.
 Digital voice recorders - WillDeBeest
Whole acts of Parliament have been devoted to recording phone calls. Recording conversations is more like photography: you can do what you like, within reason, if you are in a public place (even if the source of the sound is not) but on private property the owner or owner's agent (like a security guard in a shopping centre) has the right to ask you to stop.
 Digital voice recorders - Manatee
You could just explain to the customer that you are recording it so you can check back later and be sure you haven't missed anything. No need to add "in case you make something up later".
 Digital voice recorders - Clk Sec
>> You could just explain to the customer that you are recording it so you can
>> check back later and be sure you haven't missed anything. No need to add "in
>> case you make something up later".
>>

I would think that this person doesn't trust me. My suspicious mind, I guess.
 Digital voice recorders - Duncan
My understanding is that one of the parties to the recording must be aware that recording is taking place in order for it to be legal.

In other words, if the recording is completely covert, then it is illegal.

A couple of years ago, I was a 'mystery shopper' at an MB dealership when I was booking my car in and out for a routine service. That was video and audio recording, very good quality too! I got £100.

Digital voice recorders - R.P.
A couple of years ago, I was a 'mystery shopper' at an MB dealership when I was booking my car in and out for a routine service. That was video and audio recording, very good quality too! I got £100.

They'd have signed up for that.
 Digital voice recorders - Zero
>> >> You could just explain to the customer that you are recording it so you
>> can
>> >> check back later and be sure you haven't missed anything. No need to add
>> "in
>> >> case you make something up later".
>> >>
>>
>> I would think that this person doesn't trust me. My suspicious mind, I guess.

You could always add " your conversation is important to us
 Digital voice recorders - Ambo
MD, I have an Olympus Digital Voice Recorder VN-900. It measures about 95x35x20 mm and weighs a couple of grams. It takes 2xAAA batteries. It has a speaker and, of course, built-in mike, but also sockets for earphones and external mike. I found it very useful when going foreign, recording unfamiliar words on the hoof to translate and write down in the evenings. I don't use it any more but it shows no wear and tear and I assume it is still working. It is yours with my compliments, if you let me have an off-site link for a postal address.
>> MD, I have an Olympus Digital Voice Recorder VN-900. It measures about 95x35x20 mm and
>> weighs a couple of grams. It takes 2xAAA batteries. It has a speaker and, of
>> course, built-in mike, but also sockets for earphones and external mike.

Colleagues in my former outfit's Edinburgh office had one of those complete with external mike. Used for recording formal meetings to facilitate accurate minuting and occasional transcript where a committee were drafting on the hoof. Did a damn good job too, as well as we managed in London with some semi-professional sound kit.
 Digital voice recorders - Mapmaker
>>weighs a couple of grams

Do you find a problem with it blowing away?
 Digital voice recorders - Ambo
Well, I have no means of weighing it. Maybe best say it is "vey light".
 Digital voice recorders - Focusless
60 g including batteries
www.olympus.co.jp/en/support/imsg/vtrek/download/manual/vn/man_vn900vn1800vn3600_e.pdf
>> 60 g including batteries
>> www.olympus.co.jp/en/support/imsg/vtrek/download/manual/vn/man_vn900vn1800vn3600_e.pdf

A couple of ounces then?
Latest Forum Posts