Non-motoring > aunt-sues-nephew-after-hug-broke-her-wrist Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Zero Replies: 30

aunt-sues-nephew-after-hug-broke-her-wrist - Zero
news.sky.com/story/1568895/aunt-sues-nephew-after-hug-broke-her-wrist

www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p0355hf6

aunt-sues-nephew-after-hug-broke-her-wrist - sherlock47
This sums up the state of American life -

The aunt claimed that injuries sustained in the accident had a profound effect on her life, and that she was at a party recently where it was "difficult to hold my hors d'oeuvre plate."

I would guess that there was insurance policy somewhere in the background that was waiting to be milked.
 aunt-sues-nephew-after-hug-broke-her-wrist - Roger.
Ambulance chasing shyters, too, I bet.
 aunt-sues-nephew-after-hug-broke-her-wrist - Bromptonaut
Just in case anyone thinks she won she didn't. Jury took 25mins to award her a big fat $0.00.

I'd guess the kid's mother hadd life insurance......
 aunt-sues-nephew-after-hug-broke-her-wrist - Armel Coussine
>> "difficult to hold my hors d'oeuvre plate."

I always leave the eaties on the table and scoff them one by one from there. Leaves my hands free to hold large glass of booze and snout.

That lady needs to see a doctor. She has seriously brittle bones unless the nipper was one of these ferocious obese ones. .
 aunt-sues-nephew-after-hug-broke-her-wrist - Focusless
>> She has seriously brittle bones unless the nipper
>> was one of these ferocious obese ones. .

She broke it falling over - perhaps tried to break her fall single handed due to having the other hand full of 8 year old child.

She claimed her nephew, then eight, acted unreasonably when he leaped into her arms after she arrived at his birthday party. The exuberant greeting caused her to fall to the ground and break her wrist, the lawsuit claimed.
Last edited by: Focusless on Wed 14 Oct 15 at 19:59
 aunt-sues-nephew-after-hug-broke-her-wrist - ....
That is going to be one frosty Thanksgiving family get together.
 aunt-sues-nephew-after-hug-broke-her-wrist - Manatee
Dodgy lawyer by the sound of it. Or perhaps a not very bright one if it was a no-win-no-fee job.

How are you going to hold an 8 year old to be negligent? Even allowing US law is probably a bit bonkers.
 aunt-sues-nephew-after-hug-broke-her-wrist - Slidingpillar
Even allowing US law is probably a bit bonkers

That has to be the understatement of the century.
 aunt-sues-nephew-after-hug-broke-her-wrist - JonB11
It turns out you're on the money with the US law system being a bit bonkers. Turns out she had to sue her nephew to get the insurance company to payout! How lovely.

www.lawontheweb.co.uk/blog/heartless-aunt-sues-poor-child-how-bad-legal-reporting-damages-justice
 aunt-sues-nephew-after-hug-broke-her-wrist - smokie
So she lost the case. So presumably the reason the insurers hadn't paid up earlier was because they thought she was "frivolous", as the article puts it.
 aunt-sues-nephew-after-hug-broke-her-wrist - zippy
Friend of mine had a car accident many years ago and his Mrs sued him for a broken leg and whiplash injuries but it got out of hand as she took it too far and was one of the contributing factors to their divorce.
>> Friend of mine had a car accident many years ago and his Mrs sued him
>> for a broken leg and whiplash injuries

That and children suing parents are not uncommon scenarios. In case of life changing injuries and 24/7/365 care needs the sums can be enormous.
 aunt-sues-nephew-after-hug-broke-her-wrist - zippy

>> That and children suing parents are not uncommon scenarios. In case of life changing injuries
>> and 24/7/365 care needs the sums can be enormous.
>>

I don't disagree with you, but some cases are more serious than others and she was taking the mick.
>> I don't disagree with you, but some cases are more serious than others and she
>> was taking the mick.

I was posting in response to Zero and affirming the point that being forced to sue one's relatives for personal injuries wasn't unique to US. Not intended to reflect in any way on US case in OP.

Having said that the link posted by JonB11 provides some perspective. At least in UK she's be mended by the NHS rather than casting around for insurance to claim on.

>> I was posting in response to Zero

All I did was post the link to the article!!!

and affirming the point that being forced to
>> sue one's relatives for personal injuries wasn't unique to US. Not intended to reflect in
>> any way on US case in OP.

Although of course in the UK, one does not have to recoup hugely expensive emergency and recuperative medical bills
>> All I did was post the link to the article!!!

Apologies - mixing you up with Zippy.

>> Although of course in the UK, one does not have to recoup hugely expensive emergency
>> and recuperative medical bills

True but 24hr care isn't provided by the state and neither are loss of earnings which can be big money for somebody with a remunerative career ahead of them.

>> True but 24hr care isn't provided by the state and neither are loss of earnings
>> which can be big money for somebody with a remunerative career ahead of them.

the woman in the OP didn't need 24 hour care either, merely emergency treatment, after care and rehab. A hundred thousand+ dollar bill to pay!
>> the woman in the OP didn't need 24 hour care either, merely emergency treatment, after
>> care and rehab. A hundred thousand+ dollar bill to pay!

Absolutely. And yet people here think we would be better served by an insurance based healthcare system.
 aunt-sues-nephew-after-hug-broke-her-wrist - CGNorwich
"And yet people here think we would be better served by an insurance based healthcare system."

Very few people i the UK would choose the American system. However the American system is always invoked as the only alternative a by those advocating a change in the way the NHS is funded as if it were the only alternative. The French system is which is partly insurance funded provides an arguably superior health care system to the UK and does not saddle its citizens with enormous debts
 aunt-sues-nephew-after-hug-broke-her-wrist - Lygonos
>>The French system is which is partly insurance funded provides an arguably superior health care system to the UK...

France spending = 11.6% of GDP (2011 OECD figures)

UK spending = 9.4% (same figures)

Not quite the same.

Wouldn't a per-capita figure be more meaningful?
 aunt-sues-nephew-after-hug-broke-her-wrist - Lygonos
>>Wouldn't a per-capita figure be more meaningful?

It's much the same ratio as GDP/capita is similar.

France $4,118

UK $3,405

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_total_health_expenditure_(PPP)_per_capita
That's 20% more...
Last edited by: smokie on Thu 22 Oct 15 at 17:20
I didn't say it was cheaper I said it was arguably superior. I just find it annoying that whenever alternative health care systems are discussed the argument is quashed with a reference to the US system.

Lots of countries have insurance based healthcare systems which provide good levels of healthcare. It is telling that no other country has chosen the NHS model which teeters on from crisis to crisis in the UK without any governement getting to the root of the problem which is how it is funded.
 aunt-sues-nephew-after-hug-broke-her-wrist - Alanovich
>> I didn't say it was cheaper I said it was arguably superior. I just find
>> it annoying that whenever alternative health care systems are discussed the argument is quashed with
>> a reference to the US system.

Republicans get this, usually by someone just shouting "President Blair". Same sort of scheisse.
Nice segue!
 aunt-sues-nephew-after-hug-broke-her-wrist - Alanovich
Just one more example of a common tactic - try to discredit an idea you oppose with spurious, specious, emotive nonsense. Sadly, a lot of people are fooled and distracted from the proper debate whilst believing they are in possession of some kind of unchallengeable wisdom. Common sense, innit?
>> It turns out you're on the money with the US law system being a bit
>> bonkers.

Intriguing that a newcomer chooses this thread or his first post.....
>> >> It turns out you're on the money with the US law system being a
>> bit
>> >> bonkers.
>>
>> Intriguing that a newcomer chooses this thread or his first post.....

with a link to a law firm.......
>> with a link to a law firm.......

You mean to DAS via the Law on the Web blog?

Don't think he'll drum up much business except views of the blog.
Latest Forum Posts