Non-motoring > As Seen on TV - Volume 12   [Read only] Miscellaneous
Thread Author: R.P. Replies: 126

As Seen on TV - Volume 12 - R.P.

***** This thread is now closed, please CLICK HERE to go to Volume 13 *****

==========================================================

A place to discuss what's on TV that might be of interest to others. (exc. Top Gear, F1, for example - which have threads of their own)

Volume 1
Volume 2
Volume 3
Volume 4
Volume 5
Volume 6
Volume 7
Volume 8
Volume 9
Volume 10
Volume 11
PLEASE NOTE:-

To try and maintain some kind of logical order of discussion, if you start a new subject then reply to this post and remember to change the default subject header.

Last edited by: VxFan on Thu 21 Jan 16 at 21:51

Million pound properties - henry k
Million pound properties Ch4 at 2200 tonight.

One of the properties shown tonight, on the Isle of Wight , I happened to get a personal conducted tour around by the owner, just prior to its transformation being completed.

Maybe record it or catch up ?
Interested to see if anyone else has visited or stayed there ?
Last edited by: VxFan on Thu 15 Oct 15 at 01:46

Toksvig on telly - WillDeBeest
What the...? Never known a thread go read-only while I was actually writing in it - a bit like one of those auto-loo things starting up while you're still inside.

Anyway, as I was saying...

Sandi was a delight in charge of The News Quiz. Jeremy Hardy and Phill Jupitus in particular - Andy Hamilton too - clearly adored her, and she brought the best out of them.

I think she'll be good on QI too. This, for me, is the comedy bar she'll need to raise:
youtu.be/4k-l1HLj9Nk

Toksvig on telly - R.P.
Sorry...I waited for the Toksvig thread to hesitate and then i was going to add the post about the new topic...

Toksvig on telly - Mike Hannon
I think Miles Jupp has made a pretty good job of taking over the News Quiz. You can tell he has the same scriptwriters...

Meanwhile in La La Land............. - Roger.
www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-34528084#?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed

Escape to to Anglesey - Dog
Up your way guv'nor, and not a repeat .... maybe:

www.radiotimes.com/episode/dt48pc/escape-to-the-country--13112015

Escape to to Anglesey - R.P.
Ta ! PVR set.

Escape to to Anglesey - Dog
I see ye olde school house is still for sale. I quite liked it actually:

www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-37868128.html

Jools Holland Later - Duos & Duets - Focusless
From Friday night, a sort of 'best of', and some cracking songs, all live of course, including McAlmont & Butler's 'Yes' (Butler was Suede's guitarist/songwriter, and McAlmont has an incredible voice) - 4:32.

Also Bob & Marcia doing 'Young Gifted & Black' - 12:15.

And I love the First Aid Kit track 'My Silver Liming', currently being used in the Renault Kadjar TV ad - 8:50.

www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b06pmwxz/later-with-jools-holland-duos-and-duets

Jodrell Bank - Crankcase
Nice little programme about Sir Bernard Lovell and Jodrell Bank was on BBC4 last night, will be on iplayer for 29 more days.

www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b06pm5vf

Probably a repeat and those interested may well therefore have seen it already, but if not, and "Britain's Space Race" interests you, along with archive footage of men in suits and ties putting up scaffolding in fields, as well as a contribution from James Burke (yes, he's still alive), then it's a hour well spent.

Last edited by: Crankcase on Mon 23 Nov 15 at 14:40

The Bridge - CGNorwich
If you are fan, like me, of Nordic Noir then The Bridge is back for a a third series on BBC 4 Saturday evenings. The first two series were outstanding and the third is shaping well with the unforgettable Saga Noren played by sofia Helin.

Also on BBC 4 is the third series of, The Detectorists, a much different and more gentle affair set in rural Suffolk with MacKenzie Crook. Probably the best comedy on TV at the moment.
Last edited by: CGNorwich on Mon 23 Nov 15 at 16:22

The Detectorists - R.P.
Love the TR7 on it. As you say a proper old fashioned BBC fare. Diana Rigg was in one episode...not in leather though, which might be a good thing..

The Bridge - WillDeBeest
...The Bridge is back for a a third series on BBC 4...

Bra!

This time it seems we'll have a succession of Danish partners, all failing to get Saga. The architectural and cityscape shots are as spectacular as ever, and in Episode 2 there's a perfectly ordinary line uttered to Saga that becomes pure gold when she uses it herself.

The Bridge - helicopter
Must be 'Would you like a hug?' ......

Brilliant series.

The Bridge - WillDeBeest
Yes but I was trying not to give too much away.
😁

The Bridge - smokie
Just watched episodes 1 and 2 this evening, every bit as enjoyable as the earlier series. I think they have played her character up quite a bit more though, it's become even more humorous.

The Virgin TV guide has episode 6 being aired before episode 5. This will probably get corrected between now and when it's on but anyone watching recordings would do well to double check before getting too far into it that you're not skipping episode 5!!

The Bridge - smokie
The Bridge ended last weekend. Amazing series, so gripping despite being subtitled. I do hope they can follow up with another but not sure they could better what's gone before.

The Bridge - CGNorwich
Absolutely brilliant. Have watched all three series from the start. No definite plans for a third series I understand but they have to make one . They just have to.

Anyone driven over the Oresund Bridge? I fancy going to Malmo just to give it a go

The Bridge - tyrednemotional
...both the Storebaelt and Oresund bridges are quite spectacular.

Scary in windy weather, but (and not a cheap option, especially in a motorcaravan).

Scandinavia is a fascinating (if not cheap) area to visit, but, of course, not now very easily accessible by motor vehicle without a long drive.

The Bridge - Manatee
Watched the last two last night as we were away at the weekend. The best thing on TV recently, by far.

The Bridge - helicopter
I have to agree, a brilliant series and the door left open for another .......Saturday night TV at its best.

The Bridge - legacylad
Never heard of The Bridge. Might have to buy a boxed set to watch when overseas next month, or get a pal to try and pirate a copy. You people seem to like it.

The Bridge - No FM2R
Be aware that there is also a US version.

Seemingly based on the same idea, a US remake. . I've seen and enjoyed the US one, I haven't seen the Scandinavian one.

The Bridge - sooty123
Is the bridge similar to the killing? (for those that have seen both)

The Bridge - rtj70
We've waited until we had all ten episodes before starting to watch it. Probably start watching it over Christmas.

The Killing first series was the start of some excellent drama. And even some new British dramas have been really good. And I'd say the choice of soundtrack for some has even been influenced by Scandinavian dramas, e.g. the music for Broadchurch.

The Man in the high castle - Zero
Just got myself the series one box set of

The Man in the High Castle

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Man_in_the_High_Castle_(TV_series)

just seen episode 1, it looks promising, a bit surreal, technology mix is weird for 1962, a german concorde and 2cvs on the streets!

Looks good tho - would recommend on what I have seen so far.
Last edited by: Zero on Mon 23 Nov 15 at 21:11

The Man in the high castle - R.P.
I watched the pilot months ago on Amazon. Couldn't wait for the series, watched Episode 2 tonight. Loved it. Love the little touches like the colour TVs, the Nazified Cocncorde and the British pay-phones in the Neutral Zone. Ridley Scott...brill.

The Man in the high castle - zippy
There are only 10 episodes - far too short!

It is the best thing on TV at the moment but a bit grisly in places.

Amazon seem to be making some really good programs:

The Man In the High Castle is excellent.

I also really enjoyed the Hand of God, though it was predictable, it was well paced unlike dramas made by other US TV companies which jump from scene to scene too quickly.

Another cracking series is Mr Robot well worth watching on a wet evening.

Amazon have the advantage of knowing exactly what is being watched by it's subscribers and how far through a film users get. It gives them a great insight when making pilot episodes.

Bosch was good too. They have a good system of trialling program outlines and plots, then pilots and based on that reception very quickly with short full series.

The Man in the high castle - mikeyb
Just started on Mr Robot - enjoyed the first episode so its good to hear positive feedback

>>Just started on Mr Robot - enjoyed the first episode so its good to hear positive feedback

I'm a techie and like the "weird" so may not be to everyone's taste!

Watched the final episode. Stunning conclusion. According to the media there is a second series in the making.

DO NOT post a spoiler. I haven't got there yet, I have the whole series on my disk, but rationing myself.

I wouldn't do that ! :-)....Spot the Morris Oxford in Berlin though !

The opening credits are chilling - paratroopers over Mount Rushmore, the German Concorde over what I guess are the Rockies, the burning, tumbling bomber.

I am really enjoying the series!
Last edited by: zippy on Mon 30 Nov 15 at 00:44

Just starting on episode 6. Brilliantly made. Love the detail, the cars the bikes the tech. Well done Amazon.

>> Just starting on episode 6. Brilliantly made. Love the detail, the cars the bikes the
>> tech. Well done Amazon.
>>

Where do they get them all from? In one scene in California there were dozens of old vehicles including an ancient 2CV.

Seen it to the end now. Waiting in anticipation for series 2!

Where do they get them all from? In one scene in California there were dozens of old vehicles including an ancient 2CV.

There was a Mk1 Austin Cambridge/Morris Oxford in an Episode I watched last night. Just a glimpse of it parked on a taxi rank outside the San Fransisco airport. Appeared on the screen for a second no more. Just shows the lavish attention to detail. The Nazi Concorde (with lovely little winglets) in the same scene was beautiful.

Radio 2 in Concert: Jeff Lynne's ELO - WillDeBeest
On the IPlayer now: a mixed set with a full band and a real string section, performed in front of a delighted audience in the BBC Radio Theatre. The band sounds great, unlike Lynne's voice in places, which may have been to do with microphones or with being 67 years old, but it's mostly pure pleasure - and nothing 'guilty' about it.

The 2001 Zoom studio concert video has better sound, but it does this lifelong fab's heart good that he's performing again. The new album is a predictable experience: some decent songs but too much that's reminiscent of his Wilbury period, and with Lynne playing all the instruments, including some he really shouldn't, like the drums. Here though, the best songs - Turn to Stone, Sweet Talking Woman, Telephone Line, the beautifully melancholy Steppin' Out, Don't Bring Me Down and, of course, Mr Blue Sky (with audible, but not visible, fire extinguisher) - gleam like the diamonds they are. And the three new ones have more life than they do on the album.

To see new, mostly younger musicians performing these with such enthusiasm alongside Lynne and - hurrah! - Richard Tandy is pure joy. If you don't get it, you'll never get it, but despite the technical flaws, this is wonderful.
 Wilko Johnson - John Boy
I've just watched a remarkable documentary about what were supposed to be the last months of his life. It's full of remarkable images throughout. If you don't know who he is, just give it a couple of minutes:

www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b06qqrk9/imagine-autumn-2015-5-the-ecstasy-of-wilko-johnson

(Available for 10 days)

Wilko Johnson - Pat
I knew who he was but thought I'd give it a couple of minutes anyway......now I have to find time to watch it all today somehow!

Pat

Wilko Johnson - tyrednemotional
....I don't know whether this is mentioned in the above program or not, but apparently the working title of "Going Back Home", the supposedly final album he made with Roger Daltrey of The Who whilst still expecting not to survive was "Roger, Wilko, and Out".

Death, I spit in your face!

Wilko Johnson - John Boy
It wasn't mentioned, but what a clever title!

Wilko Johnson - WillDeBeest
Cracking programme about a complex, thoughtful, occasionally difficult, funny and brave man and musician. It's 90 minutes long but I stayed up on a school night to watch it anyway. Get it while you can.

Wilko Johnson - WillDeBeest
Postscript: Deezered the Johnson-Daltrey album in the kitchen this morning. Sadly, it's awful; Wilko's contribution is solid enough but it's mostly ruined by Daltrey's growling, wheezing and addition of unwanted vocal flourishes to cover up for no longer being able to hit the high notes - or, if we're honest, many of the low ones. Had to play two old Feelgood albums as an antidote. Won't get fooled again by that one.

Wilko Johnson - tyrednemotional
...I don't think RD has aged as well as many of his (slightly younger) contemporaries, such as Robert Plant, Stevie Winwood, etc.

He is, however, still much better live than his (slightly older) contemporary, Bob Dylan ;-)

Crackanory - bathtub tom
Did anyone else catch these on Dave channel last week? Jackanory for adults!

I particularly enjoyed the Zombie tale and the series finished with my current favourite actress, Tamsin Greig.

Children Talking - Crankcase
Just seen this:

www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b06tq9s5/children-talking-episode-1

Kids in the sixties and seventies being interviewed about various subjects. Some very plummy voices, some not plummy voices, a wide range of accents and attitudes, strange clothes and cuteness in varying degrees.

It's no secret I know nothing about todays's kids, but to my uneducated eye they did seem very articulate in comparison to the image I have of the modern child. Anyone see this? Are kids today much more sophisticated than these children, but less, I suppose, childish?

Children Talking - Armel Coussine
>> Are kids today much more sophisticated than these children, but less, I suppose, childish?

Not very different I'd say. Of course the world's moved on a bit. Television will have made them sound harsher and nastier, but they won't be any nastier than their parents.

Charming though aren't they? The interviewer was terrific.
Last edited by: Armel Coussine on Tue 22 Dec 15 at 01:12

Christmas Films - legacylad
Rarely watch TV, but my first Xmas film will be Ted this Wednesday. Not very Christmassy, and seen it before, but made me laugh, although not everyone's taste.
And I hope Bad Santa is on sometime.

Christmas Films - Ian (Cape Town)
Best Xmas movie ever - Trading Places.
/Thread.

Christmas Films - Focusless
We saw Ted 2 earlier this year; it was ok, but not as good as the original.

In terms of Christmas films, I do enjoy Elf; I think after a quiet start it's heading towards modern (Christmas) classic status.

I enjoyed Ted2 too!
Never heard/seen Elf. I shall look & see when it's on, assuming I haven't fled to drier shores.

Elf. Directed by Jon Favreau. I particularly liked last years release 'Chef'.
He's directed some cracking films

>> Never heard/seen Elf.

Stars Will Ferrell, who I believe can be one of those marmite actors for some...

Christmas Films - Crankcase
I hardly dare list the Christmas films that are a "tradition" for us - all very simple stuff. Nonetheless, we own and so can see at the drop of a hat, any of these, usually do most years, and garner much entertainment from them.

In no particular order:

A Christmas Story (1983)
The Polar Express (2004)
A Christmas Carol (1999, Patrick Stewart version)
Scrooge (1970 Ron Moody musical version)
Father Christmas (1991 Mel Smith version)
and we usually chuck on the inevitable The Snowman (1982) at some point between things too.

I think A Christmas Story is my favourite from that list though.

>> The Polar Express (2004)

Been on at least 5 times already this season! (ITV2 I think)

Indeed. We saw it last weekend (our own though, so no ads).

Whilst I'm banging on, it's not Christmas related in any way but our very favouritest film ever is The Dish, which we must have seen dozens of times and never tire of.

>> Indeed. We saw it last weekend (our own though, so no ads).

Stepson and partner were round a couple of weekends ago when it was on; they'd heard of it, but not seen it before. When they saw it, they declared that it looked 'creepy', and I do think the style of animation isn't very appealing compared to other 'cartoons'.

Some good tunes though - I was watching it (on and off) because we've just started playing a selection from it in our band.
Last edited by: Focusless on Tue 22 Dec 15 at 15:29

We weren't prepared to like Polar as much as we did the first time around, but it's a grower. For animation, the Crankcase household award goes to My Neighbour Totoro, another firm favourite, although Disney's Beauty and the Beast is cracking too.

Super stuff. Ooh, and Belleville Rende-Vouz, mustn't forget that....
Last edited by: Crankcase on Tue 22 Dec 15 at 15:34

Christmas Films - tyrednemotional
and Belleville Rende-Vouz, mustn't forget that....
>>

...now you're talking!

And Howl's Moving Castle.

Christmas Films - Armel Coussine

>> Ooh, and Belleville Rendezvous, mustn't forget that....

Terrific short movie that. The director Claude Lelouch, evidently a car enthusiast, did the driving himself, not in the featured Ferrari but in a Mercedes with the camera mounted on the front bumper - the sound was added later.

He made a film about making that film too, exposing the amount of faking and flimflam that lies behind all good movies...

Christmas Films - tyrednemotional
...different film altogether, AC, and in quite a different style.

;-)

>> ...different film altogether, AC, and in quite a different style.

>> ;-)

Not altogether, because the films were linked. Different style goes without saying!

>> the sound was added later.

The sound was damn good too: beautifully timed tyre squeal and beautifully timed, fabulously throaty V12 engine sounds, complete with double-declutching and once I think a missed gear.

The camera car was a Mercedes 450 saloon I think, Lelouch's personal barge perhaps. Why hire one for a low-budget movie?

Very nice piece of work (if you like that sort of thing) from an interesting moment in French cinema.

Christmas Films - Zero
>> Indeed. We saw it last weekend (our own though, so no ads).
>>
>> Whilst I'm banging on, it's not Christmas related in any way but our very favouritest
>> film ever is The Dish, which we must have seen dozens of times and never
>> tire of.
>>

good film is "the dish" saw it in Aus before it came out over here.

Christmas Films - Alanovich
The only must-see in my house every year is Blackadder's Christmas Carol, to be viewed on Christmas Eve after dark with a few Whisky Macs. Everything else is meh.

Humbug! Humbug! Humbug, Mr Alanović?

Christmas Films - Alanovich
I see you brought the fish course with you.
Last edited by: Alanović on Tue 22 Dec 15 at 15:23

Christmas Films - Ted
>> We saw Ted 2 earlier this year; it was ok, but not as good as
>> the original.

Very nice of you to say so !

Ted 1

Gypsy - helicopter
For those of you who like musicals .......

BBC 4 tonight is showing a recording of Gypsy which was a triumph for Imelda Staunton at the Savoy theatre in the West End .

It is an absolutely astonishingly powerful performance which I saw with SWMBO at Chichester before it transferred to the Savoy.

We would have happily gone to see it again but tickets were sold out every night of the run ...and believe me I do not normally want to pay £60 plus per ticket for a show I have already seen

It is on at 9 pm.
Last edited by: helicopter on Sun 27 Dec 15 at 14:29

Gypsy - legacylad
Big, fat, and were weddings involved?

Roy Orbison. - Roger.
In concert. BBC4 HD NOW, 10:00 Tuesday 28th. Dec.

Deutschland 83. - R.P.
Sunday night 9pm Channel 4. Looks good.

Stargazing live - Runfer D'Hills
Now, Beeb 2

BBC3 film. Drive - legacylad
Watched it again this evening. Seen first by myself when released a few years ago at the cinema. My kind of film... Highly stylised, moody sound track, expected shock horror moments that still shock you. Best film on TV I have seen for a while.

BBC3 film. Drive - Focusless
Available for 6 days on iPlayer:
www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01bmy8m/drive

BBC3 film. Drive - Dog
My kinda film too. Seen it before, but I've drank Guinness before.

That rather-large Sun engine analyser in the garage at the beginning of said film is what I had in the back of my van.

:}

Barely Legal Grafters - BBC2 - Duncan
Tuesday evening on BBC2 about a number of individuals who sold goods on the other side of the law.

www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b06ygkk3

My particular interest was the ticket tout who worked the recent Rugby World Cup. One person who openly stated that he was from the Namibiam Rugby Union and was selling tickets to the tout!

Barely Legal Grafters - BBC2 - Roger.
Yes - I had recorded that and watched it late last night.
I cannot, for the life of me, see why a simple business transaction between a willing seller and a willing buyer, i.e. selling/ buying match, or show, tickets should be against the law.
The price at which they are bought and sold is a matter for the individuals concerned.

Last edited by: Roger. on Wed 20 Jan 16 at 10:35

Barely Legal Grafters - BBC2 - Alanovich
Because face value prices of event tickets for events which are likely to be oversubscribed are usually artificially low given the demand.

It's not a normal nor rational market. If we let the market rule it, major sporting and cultural events would become the preserve of the rich. This would not be good.

Not surprising a extreme right winger wouldn't twig this, but someone of limited resources and income should be able to appreciate the subtlety.

Barely Legal Grafters - BBC2 - No FM2R
>> If we let the market rule it, major sporting and cultural events would become the preserve of the rich. This would not be good.

Absolutely correct.

Typically the concert [for example] promoter is keen that the people who go are fans of the band and buyers of merchandise and music. Thus a concert tends to remain accessible to the actual fans. Ok, potentially b***** expensive, but accessible.

A secondary seller of a ticket doesn't care, they simply want to sell it for the highest price. Thus, as Al says, it becomes accessible only to the rich.

And in the cases of some events, that means the *very* rich, not the merely well off.

Barely Legal Grafters - BBC2 - Crankcase
I'm sure the "club of 62" could afford it. And by the "six degrees of separation" theory, each of us here will be just six people away from knowing one of them. I can almost taste the money.

www.marketwatch.com/story/just-62-people-own-as-much-wealth-as-half-the-worlds-population-oxfam-2016-01-18

Barely Legal Grafters - BBC2 - Haywain
"If we let the market rule it, major sporting and cultural events would become the preserve of the rich. This would not be good."

Absolute tiddlywinks.

Whilst it is bad/greedy/dishonest/against the rules when some sources (e.g. club officials) sell tickets on for profit, any subsequent transactions are purely down to basic market forces - and pretty harmless; I have never known anyone to die from the lack of a concert or sports-fixture ticket.

Anyone (like myself) who is unwilling or unable to pay top-whack prices can still feast themselves on sport at the local club, or dine on the great music at their local concert hall. At my regular jazz club, I can rub shoulders with the likes of John Etheridge, Nigel Price, Snake Davis, Chris Ingham etc - for the princely sum of a tenner! Goodness gracious - last summer, I saw the finest guitarist in the world for six quid.

Just stop wingeing, open your eyes and do try and get out more.
Last edited by: VxFan on Sat 17 Jun 17 at 20:54

>> Just stop wingeing, open your eyes and do try and get out more.
>>

Calm down, dear. We're talking about prime events such as major rock bands and major sporting finals here. Welling Utd v Altrincham in the Snodgrass Paints League or some obscure jazz noodler playing the Corn Exchange in Swaffham isn't really in the same league and of course anyone can get a ticket for a tenner if they want it. The fact that millions don't is what keeps the price down.

We can't allow supply and demand to rule access to cultural things to which tens of thousands of people want access, otherwise only Prince hay and Rupert Murdoch will be able to go to them. And taste, as you are implying, doesn't come in to it. I've no desire to see One Direction at Wembley, but thousands do and shouldn't be ripped off for the fact.

Do you think the London Olympics athletics, men's 100m Final day, should have been priced at £5000 (for example) at ticket, or whatever the market would bear? Do you think it's right that touts, or anyone with no intention of attending the event come to that, should be allowed to buy up and sell on the £35 tickets for that event at £5000?

I'm not whinging either by the way, and I get out plenty thanks very much, I've been to many top events, and attend many smaller things which are to my taste (local non-league football, favourite musicians/bands with limited wider appeal, same sort of thing you're going on about - recent examples being Mark Morriss and Shed Seven). These days we've got great things like the Twickets app which allows ethical people to sell on their unused tickets at face value, and it's brilliant.
Last edited by: VxFan on Sat 17 Jun 17 at 20:55
"Do you think it's right that touts, or anyone with no intention of attending the event come to that, should be allowed to buy up and sell on the £35 tickets for that event at £5000?"

It's the cult of 'celebrity' - don't fall for it, old pal.

I don't, usually. But if my nation, for example, made it to a major football final, I'd really want to go. And if the only tickets I could get were £5000, I'd not be happy. Same applies to someone who is a One Direction fan. It's none of anyone's business what anyone finds appealing, and the law has rightly come down on that side. Touts can go swivel.

I got tickets for the Scotland v Australia Rugby World Cup QF last year, on Twickets, for face value, the day before the event. Hopefully technology like this will help kill touting forever.

You're a victim of the cult of celebrity just as much as anyone, rubbing shoulders with your favoured jazz noodlers. You're just lucky nobody else likes your celebrities, as I am for the most part. But if Bruce Springsteen was playing a farewell gig in the UK? Last chance ever to see him again? I'd want a ticket, and I'd want not to be ripped off for it. Or is The Boss the kind of celebrity you don't approve of, therefore tough shi-ite, I should cough up £5000?

The law is attempting to do exactly what is should be designed for - protecting people (of all tastes and none) from unscrupulous shysters.
"tough shi-ite,"

I try not to get wound up about the fact that some drive around in Aston Martins while I have an Astra estate. Envy isn't nice.

You've lost me there. I've never seen a tout in an Aston Martin, and it's never crossed my mind to be envious of anyone in an Aston anyway, rather I admire them (car and owner). Never owned an Astra either.

Odd comment.

I'm a bit envious of people who have nice SAAB 9-5 Aero estates, but I don't envy them their fuel bills. We're all guilty of a bit of it from time to time, I'm sure.
"Odd comment."

The point is that if I want anything badly enough, then I have to pay what the market demands - be that a car or a glimpse of a celebrity/pop-star/sports-star. These are life's 'little extras' - the principle only gets ugly when it comes to, e.g. anti-cancer drugs.

So you accept that the market principle has limits and needs to be controlled in some situations. You don't believe this should apply to cultural/sporting event ticketing, I do. And so does the law.

I don't know why you're getting so baity about this, it's hardly a law which will ever be employed to your detriment it seems. What's the problem? Some form of envy could perhaps explain it, that seems the default explanation for most things. I mean, that's probably why there's so much invective directed at benefit claimants and immigrants, I suppose.

"baity"

I was merely pointing out that you don't understand 'market forces'.

In which case you're quite wrong, or incapable or reading my posts.

What I'm pointing out is that you do seem to understand market forces and that you also understand they should have limits artificially applied to them in some cases (cancer drugs for example), but that we evidently draw the limit in different places in our own minds. My line corresponds with the law in this case (tickets), yours does not. No problem with disagreeing, right? Happens all the time.

That's it. Why you needed to drag envy and barbs about lacking understanding in to it is what is odd and inexplicable.

Barely Legal Grafters - BBC2 - Ian (Cape Town)
Market forces v profiteering here?
I recently had a death in the family. Couldn't attend the cricket match for which I had tickets.
Gave them up - I hope the couple I gave them to had a splendid day out.
I could have eBayed them for a lot of bob - very much in demand.
Does that make me a hero/martyr/idiot?
Depends where your moral compass points, I suppose.

"Gave them up"

I'd have done the same thing. Just because I understand 'the market' doesn't mean that I have to like it or join in with it.

Hay, see the last line.
I could have made some RRR on the deal. I didn't.
In fact, I despise touts for the very reason they deny the real fans from attending.

I often get very very good tickets for sporting events - sponsors' seats etc - and it narks me that I end up sitting with* a bunch of folk who'd also got some largess, but didn't know a scrumhalf from a goalpost, an LBW from a JCB, or a great song from Justin Bieber's warbling.
It seems that being 'seen' at the cricket/rugby/football/tennis/concert is more important than knowing anything about the sport/music. It is a 'must have' and bragging rights, while denying real fans, who'd give their right arm for the opportunity, are denied access for purely financial reasons.

Classic case - went to see the Eagles a few years back at the Cape Town Stadium.
A mate of mine paid silly money for seats near the front - after every song some idiots behind him were shouting 'Play Hotel California' (the only song they knew, apparently). Eventually the song was played, they got up and left. Missing an hour plus of really good stuff!

* - what narks me more is those folk who get the tickets, and don't pitch up. Again, denying the 'true' fan an opportunity to see the event.
Next time you see a big event on TV, spot the open seats - especially if the weather is inclement - normally between the 22s at Rugby matches, or adjacent to the members' pavilion at cricket
Last edited by: Ian (Cape Town) on Thu 21 Jan 16 at 11:20

Barely Legal Grafters - BBC2 - smokie
"shouting 'Play Hotel California"

OT, but reminds me of an outdoor concert on the main field in Wokingham a couple of years back. The "promoters" had secured those (to me and many others) one-hit wonders, Toploader.

Of course people were calling out for Dancing In The Moonlight but they said that'd be the encore (which was a bit presumptive!!) and ploughed on through their repertoire... made me laugh...

Now there's an utterly dire band. Sunk without trace, and rightly so.

Thin Lizzy cover?
Oh no... I remember it now...

For a man named after a one-hit wonder band, you re being a bit of a git, aren't you?

By the way, how IS Alice?

Barely Legal Grafters - BBC2 - smokie
Alice, Alice, who tf is Alice? :-)

Barely Legal Grafters - BBC2 - Zero

>> Do you think the London Olympics athletics, men's 100m Final day, should have been priced
>> at £5000 (for example) at ticket, or whatever the market would bear? Do you think
>> it's right that touts, or anyone with no intention of attending the event come to
>> that, should be allowed to buy up and sell on the £35 tickets for that
>> event at £5000?

Few tickets for 5000 were on sale, because those that got there legally didn't want to give them up. No massive killings on mass sale of tickets was made, supply and demand did for the touts!

No way can touting justifiably be made illegal.

Er, it is for football matches.

www.inbrief.co.uk/football-law/ticket-touting-and-football.htm#

Read the sentence properly.

Lost me. Which one?

specifically the word "justifiably" IE there is no justification morally, or indeed legally for such legislation.

I often used to buy a ticket for the stands (i.e. the seats) from a tout at Upton Park. It meant you could turn up later and get a skinful in before the game. Only cost me about 20-30% on top of the face value.

Mind I ended up to next to some annoying season ticket holders from the away mob sometimes.
Last edited by: Zero on Thu 21 Jan 16 at 13:20

>> specifically the word "justifiably" IE there is no justification morally, or indeed legally for such
>> legislation.

Well that's a weird assertion. Moral justification is not an absolute, and is in the eye of the beerholder, but what does "no justification legally for such legislation" mean? The whole point of enacting legislation is that there is no legislation in place.

Sorry about the existing, excellent, legislation spoiling your Upton Park situation, but that's been sorted out now that Wet Spam are moving in to a stadium far too big for their small to middling fanbase, so there will always be tickets available at face value. Everyone's a winner.

>> Sorry about the existing, excellent, legislation spoiling your Upton Park situation, but that's been sorted
>> out now that Wet Spam are moving in to a stadium far too big for
>> their small to middling fanbase, so there will always be tickets available at face value.
>> Everyone's a winner.

Ticket advice and talk of big stadia form a Fulham fan? Not only are you talking crap, you are talking crap from a base line of crap.

Banning the resale of tickets is a restrictive practise, BANNED in every other field. You are no longer allowed to sell your car. Is that fair? its the same thing.

As I'm sure you'd be quick to point out, there aren't 100,000 people wanting to buy my car, and it isn't culturally important to the nation. Yet.

So no, it's not the same at all.

My football club has no bearing on the matter, either. No need to be defensive about your shonky one either (how's the recent European record compared to Fulham's?), which you brought up in the first place. I'm quite aware mine is a hopeless one with about 43 fans on a good day, it doesn't affect my self esteem to think otherwise.
Last edited by: Alanović on Thu 21 Jan 16 at 13:37

>> As I'm sure you'd be quick to point out, there aren't 100,000 people wanting to
>> buy my car, and it isn't culturally important to the nation. Yet.
>>
>> So no, it's not the same at all.
>>
>> My football club has no bearing on the matter, either.

So why did you feel it reasonable to have a pop at mine? You have a very single sided view of dishing out the barbs. ok slinging them, not happy when they come back.

You and I are clearly not going to agree, In my view touting is fine. in your view its not.

end of

>> You and I are clearly not going to agree, In my view touting is fine.
>> in your view its not.

Well quite, as I pointed out to Haywain myself. I don't take offence if someone makes a statement about my football club, it's just a football club and does not reflect upon me in any way. I'm not sure what I said could be argued, anyway it wasn't meant as in insult. If you took it that way, that's up to you. In my book having a bit of a laugh about soppy football clubs is not really in the same league as being called envious, lacking in understanding of a simple principle, and reclusive, but never mind. I suppose we see that differently as well.

>> >> You and I are clearly not going to agree, In my view touting is
>> fine.
>> >> in your view its not.
>>
>> Well quite, as I pointed out to Haywain myself. I don't take offence if someone
>> makes a statement about my football club, it's just a football club and does not
>> reflect upon me in any way. I'm not sure what I said could be argued,
>> anyway it wasn't meant as in insult. If you took it that way, that's up
>> to you. In my book having a bit of a laugh about soppy football clubs
>> is not really in the same league as being called envious, lacking in understanding of
>> a simple principle, and reclusive, but never mind. I suppose we see that differently as
>> well.

And I i didn't call you envious, or reclusive either .And yes you are right having a laugh about football clubs is a way of life, but you were the first one to start whining about it.

you

">> Sorry about the existing, excellent, legislation spoiling your Upton Park situation, but that's been sorted
>> out now that Wet Spam are moving in to a stadium far too big for
>> their small to middling fan base,"

you

"My football club has no bearing on the matter, either"

Its impossible to be jokey with you, you are happy to start it and dish it out but get really upset if it comes back even in a jokey manner.

cest la vie >shrug<.

I'm not sure I can identify a jokey manner in your firm defence of the Hammers/accusations of talking 'crap', and I think you're suffering from a slight inability to identify the starting point of some of these parts of the thread, but never mind. C'est la vie as you say.

Fulham are rubbish, West Ham slightly less so (usually), and touts are bounders, cads and rapscallions.

(Hope that works for the swear filter.)

That's about it, really.

(Do I need one of these? ;-) )
Last edited by: Alanović on Thu 21 Jan 16 at 14:15

>>(Do I need one of these? ;-) )

I don't know if you need one, but if you put one then nobody is allowed to be offended.

Its the law.

>> >>(Do I need one of these? ;-) )

I spit on your ;-))

>> >> >>(Do I need one of these? ;-) )
>>
>> I spit on your ;-))

This is a bit more confusing.

Technically Zero has put a smiley so you are not allowed to be offended. However, it wasn't his own smiley, he copied yours. So since that is your smiley, perhaps its also your emotion which means that he doubly cannot be upset with you but that it may invalidate his protection and perhaps you can be upset with him.

I think I'll stop worrying about it and go home for a beer.

I'm with Roger( Allah Blessings be upon me)

It's a regular private transaction that has nothing to do with legality.Talk about making the event the privelage of the rich is complete poppycock. Getting tickets for a popular concert is a lottery anyway as well as being expensive. As far as sporting events go, touted tickets are usually always corporate or bunce tickets that wouldn't get to the public anyway

The. Big steal with tickets is "booking fees" l

Barely Legal Grafters - BBC2 - R.P.
I disagree....legitimate tickets would be grabbed up by the greedy and sold on for massive profits.

".................. and sold on for massive profits."

....... to those stupid enough to buy them.

>> I disagree....legitimate tickets would be grabbed up by the greedy and sold on for massive
>> profits.
Clearly it's a while since you tried to get tickets for a major concert,. snapping up is not possible

Barely Legal Grafters - BBC2 - R.P.
Got my ELO ones !

>> Got my ELO ones !
It's not real ELO

Let's examine what legitimate tickets are.

Take an FA cup final. Capacity 100,000. Tickets released for fans to purchase about 56000. So 44000 go to hangers on and end up with touts Only the touts can provide the to real fans
Last edited by: Zero on Wed 20 Jan 16 at 16:18

Barely Legal Grafters - BBC2 - Duncan
Let us take the recent Rugby World Cup. My guess is that perhaps 95% to 98% of tickets went to the legitimate recipient - whether that was the man in the street, or the corporate hospitality world.

On a typical match then, perhaps 3,000 tickets found their way to touts, who bought them and sold them on to punters. What is the real harm in that?

As I say, my figures are based on guesswork, but I don't think I am miles away from the truth.

Latest Forum Posts