Non-motoring > Rollright Stones Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Armel Coussine Replies: 16

Rollright Stones - Armel Coussine
In a week or so my late friend Hoppy's remaining ashes are to be scattered on this spot, chosen I understand by a recording industry figure who was a friend of Hoppy. Although a scientist by education, Hoppy quite liked a bit of hippyish bs when he was in the mood, so it's not entirely inappropriate.

But it's about as inconvenient for me as any spot in the South of England, so I won't be going. I did my duty, willingly, at the old boy's funeral. At least one other of Hoppy's long-time friends won't be there either. Several probably.
 Rollright Stones - BiggerBadderDave
Try smoking him. Or snorting him?
Last edited by: BiggerBadderDave on Wed 21 Oct 15 at 14:56
And right up yours too BBD.
 Rollright Stones - smokie
Didn't Keith Richards claim to have done that with his dad's remains?
 Rollright Stones - Crankcase
I put a votive offering at the Rollrights a while back. Here's a photo to prove it - and I bet it;s not there now.

Link removed to protect Crankcase's ID. Mail sent. smokie
Last edited by: smokie on Wed 21 Oct 15 at 17:55
 Rollright Stones - WillDeBeest
For two counties so close on the map, Oxfordshire and Sussex are remarkably hard to travel between. I've spent about half my life to date (in two separate periods) living in one and with ancient relatives in the other, and it's always been a right pain when visiting time came around. Warwickshire to the West Sussex coast used to be barely a two-hour drive; now we have less than half the miles to cover - but it still takes very nearly two hours, mostly on deeply tedious roads too.

I suppose it's the need to go around London rather than straight towards or away from it. The fast roads radiate from the capital and bypass biggish towns like Guildford and Bracknell, which still present obstacles to those of us doomed to pick our way against the grain. AC has my sympathy.
 Rollright Stones - No FM2R
If you care, that link shows your name.
>> And right up yours too BBD.

Sorry. Bit raw there. I feel guilty at not making it to the Rollrights, that's what it is.

All the same... show a bitta reespeck for your elders or I'll set your leg on fire, OK?
 Rollright Stones - BiggerBadderDave
I thought you were laughing there when you said 'up yours'. Made me laugh anyway.

And you have to laugh too. You really do. My sister was scattered in Mill Lane Cemetery, next to Alexandra Hospital in Cheadle. It's bizarrely the happiest place I've ever seen. Every 'resident' gets a plaque (about A2-size) and people decorate them with flowers, wind chimes, flags, teddies, all sorts of tat. There's a huge, stone Bill and Ben Flowerpot man standing on one plaque. Lots of daft stuff like that. I've never seen a cemetery like that and you'd have to see it. That's where I want to end up. Not some depressing, dreary, miserable, rotting fudging grave.

Of course my old man and mam weren't hardly in a state for speaking at the cremation so I did it. I wasn't interesting in career achievements and current boyfriends. I just spoke about the crazy stuff she did that made me laugh - starting her car in gear and driving it into their dining room, side-swiping his car on his own tree (every panel) by turning too early into the driveway, writing off a Nissan on a test-drive by rear-ending and burying it under a huge horse box. Mostly motoring actually, she was mad for her cars, she might have enjoyed this forum. But it was a happy send-off, well, in my own desperate way anyways. Daft old tart.
>> Daft old tart.

Genuine affection there I think. I bet you did a good job BBD.
 Rollright Stones - Ted

SWM has rellys in Mill Lane, Dave. Passed often enough...usually heading for the Cheshire Lines.

Her 2nd cousin, Jack, was a loco driver and used to blow Ilkley Moor on the horn as he went past the end of our garden here. Usually in a Class 40 ' Whistler ' towards the end of his career...and the line !

Must go and have a look sometime. We've used Dunham Lawn for 30 yrs. A nice place to spend oblivion.
 Rollright Stones - Pat
I think that's a lovely spot to have his ashes scattered....he must have been quite a character.

Pat
>> he must have been quite a character.

I think you'd have liked him Pat. Scientist, hippy and raving nutter, very sweet cat, something for everyone there.

He was my landlord at one point. When I got late with the rent he used to wake me up early by yelling in my room... but we never fell out really.

Without Hoppy the Roundhouse, the UFO Club and probably Pink Floyd would never have been heard of. Very creative hustling cat, always went at full speed and then some, even in his succession of horrid upright Ford Anglias.
I think you'd have liked him Pat. Scientist, hippy and raving nutter, very sweet cat, something for everyone there.

He was my landlord at one point. When I got late with the rent he used to wake me up early by yelling in my room... but we never fell out really.

Without Hoppy the Roundhouse, the UFO Club and probably Pink Floyd would never have been heard of. Very creative hustling cat, always went at full speed and then some, even in his succession of horrid upright Ford Anglias.

Hoppy's Anglias could put the fear of God into non-car people on the airport road roundabouts, axle tramp both ends and the car pointing in all directions but never seriously crashed by the manic, fast-reacting Hoppy.

I've already posted the story of the piano on the roof (visibly rippled and scratched after that), put and held there by three people of whom I was one, then taken upstairs in Westbourne Terrace. Hoppy sat down and ripped off a length of blues piano, one of his many talents.

Hoppy was a manic cat who could get you to do things. Humping a piano these days would kill me in short order.
Last edited by: Armel Coussine on Wed 21 Oct 15 at 18:10
I'm old enough not to get over-anxious about such things but I'm aware some will think badly of me for not going to the Rollright ceremony.

I think quite poorly of myself to tell the truth. But we all get used to that unless we are very hypocritical.

I used to drive all over the country at top speed without even thinking about it. Funny how times change, and one changes.
 Rollright Stones - Pat
No-one will think badly of you AC, and neither should you think badly of yourself.

You can, and will, be there in spirit and the people who matter will know that.

Have a wander down the bottom of your garden and find a favourite spot, smoke a favourite ciggie and remember the good times.

....and forget the regrets.

Pat
You're a kind soul Pat. I'll follow your advice (would have done anyway actually).

Hoppy's driving in those Anglias and Prefects with their beam axles both ends and I think a single transverse leaf spring at the front had to be experienced to be believed. An instant advanced course in Axle Tramp.

I have a feeling you would have disapproved rather. Even I did a bit, while howling with laughter and clinging on for dear life... tore a roof grab handle out by the roots in one of the Prefects I seem to remember.
Latest Forum Posts