Non-motoring > Pets on Holiday Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Bromptonaut Replies: 84

Pets on Holiday - Bromptonaut
Discussion last night about friends visiting next weekend and bringing their dog reminded me of an anecdote I'd intended to share here.

During summer hols in France, on an site in Landes, was aware of an odd bird call; a sort of melodic whistle. Close examination of the surrounding mixed woodland disclosed nothing you'd not find in similar UK habitat - Starlings, various Finches/Tits etc. Eventually twigged that German family on adjacent plot had a large grey Parrot in/around their caravan awning. Not only had they brought it with them but it was taken out in the car everyday - perched on a passenger's shoulder in style of Long John Silver's pet.

French themselves take cats on their caravan hols keeping kitty kept on a long tether to preclude wandering.

Anyone else seen odd pets on holiday?
 Pets on Holiday - bathtub tom
>>Anyone else seen odd pets on holiday?

Dogs on my recent trip to Southwold, loads of them. Pubs seemed to allow them, even those serving food.

I call them dogs in the loosest possible terms, more like rats on a string. Mostly, completely untrained, as were the inconsiderate bar stewards holding the other end of the string. More dog poo than you'd find on the streets of Paris.
 Pets on Holiday - Manatee
>> Dogs on my recent trip to Southwold, loads of them. Pubs seemed to allow them,
>> even those serving food.

It's a trend. Handbag dogs that is. Popularised by 'celebrities' apparently.

Canalling a few years ago we went for a meal at a pub that claimed to be "dog friendly". We weren't prepared for what we found, with people feeding dogs at the table. Of course canalling is much beloved of dog owners, who can take their mutts, which is why canal towpaths are strewn with hazardous waste.

I long ago decided I don't 'get' pets. The children had a couple of goldfish that died young (or whatever age they were when acquired plus a matter of weeks), and a Siberian dwarf hamster that bit people. We had a cat for while until it made a poor attempt at crossing the road. The cat was a nuisance, it hid under the furniture and bit people, brought dead mice and birds in, caught fleas, its food stank, and it needed boarding when we went on holiday.

On one occasion we were away, some friends offered to come and feed it. Two weeks later when we came home we discovered they had been feeding the wrong cat and the other one came in for years afterwards if we left the kitchen window open.

Dogs I almost understand - they can be loyal and affectionate but unless you have a flock of sheep what use are they? And following one around picking up dog muck must more than cancel out the ego boost from the dog's admiration of its owner.

As for visitors bringing their unhygienic livestock with them Bromp, that is above and beyond a host's duty, absolutely no chance.

Why people take dogs on holiday is a mystery to me. What sort of holiday is it when you are tied to the feeding, dog emptying and muck gathering as well as being denied access with it to many places you could otherwise visit? Not to mention the stinky car. A parrot sounds much less trouble.

The number of dogs has been rising, apparently their number now exceeds that of cats and is over 10 million in the UK. Unbelievable.
Last edited by: VxFan on Tue 27 Oct 15 at 21:42
 Pets on Holiday - Alanovich
Burglar alarms, Manatee. Much more effective and reliable than the pointless electronic variety.
 Pets on Holiday - CGNorwich
I'm pretty much with you on that. We had cats for pets for 40 years but I'm really not sure why. Life is a lot easier without one. Dogs are even more of tie unless you are besotted with he creatures and think they are "my babies' as does my neighbour.

Will admit to owning an aquarium with a few fish although am more interested in the plants.
 Pets on Holiday - No FM2R
We have three cats living here. All of them moved in without any encouragement from anybody that I'm aware of, and I've no idea where they came from. But they're here now, not much to be done.

I like dogs though.
 Pets on Holiday - Zero

>> Dogs are
>> even more of tie

I have been with a dog for 16 years now. In no way has it inhibited, prevented, curtailed and tied me down under any circumstances. Wifey and I have traveled where we want, when we want, for as long as we want and pursue the same carefree social life that any other non dog owner enjoys.

In fact it has enhanced our travels and enjoyment. We have embraced traveling with the dog, for the dog, and as a result visited and enjoyed places we would never have thought of or bothered with.

However as mark says, your dog needs to be well controlled and obedient, and happy with it (essential for dog ownership under any circumstances) to achieve this level of interdependence and or independence.

Its essential that you keep spouting your uninformed myth (you have history on this subject) as it allows me to use the dog as an excuse to get away from boring people and situations.
I'm pleased that you have been able to fit dog owning into your life. It obviously gives you great pleasure. However for me owning a dog would be a restriction, preventing , or at least making it more difficult to do the things I like to do. The restrictions imposed by having a dog would, for me, outweigh any benefit

I'm sure that you would not advocate dog ownership without carefully thinking it through. This surely includes the restrictions that dog owning might impose on your life as well as the benefits that might accrue from dog related activities.

As I write this two dogs in a nearby house are yapping and whining. They are left alone most days while the owners are at work. It's a pity their owners did not give a little more thought into the responsibilities of dog ownership before they acquired them.

I shouldn't have struck such a hostile attitude to dogs; some of my best friends are sensible dog owners with well trained, healthy, happy and unobtrusive pets.

Others have dogs that are a damn nuisance, including one good natured but gormless thing that looks like Boot in the Perishers. It shoves its way around the pubs, slobbering on people and occasionally making 'advances' to somebody's leg. The owner is constantly pleading with it to behave, as if it is susceptible to reason. This of course stalls any conversation at two minute intervals.

The problem is the owner not the dog, but that is all too common.
 Pets on Holiday - Armel Coussine
Knew an African grey parrot once that did an absolutely perfect imitation of its elderly lady owner's smoker's cough. As she and her husband both got Alzheimer's, things descended into chaos in their Welsh farmhouse retirement refuge, with many misunderstandings. Poor old things.

I like dogs but Herself doesn't, and I'm too lazy and disorganized to look after one reliably. Cats put less psychic pressure on you than dogs, being cold-hearted and independent.

There are four black cats here and in the other house. The nippers wear some of them as scarves. They kill mice, voles and small birds - even a mole once - and leave them in the hall or sitting room as presents.

The matriarch of the black cats has a special relationship with Herself. It sometimes follows us when we go for walks, but starts to get worried quite soon and want to be carried, or to turn back.
My record with dogs isn't good. I had a puppy in Ceylon that got rabies or bitten by a snake. At the Hill School, with other children, a nice stray dog was befriended and secretly fed, but one of the masters shot it with a .22 rifle. We weren't pleased with him at all.

British colonial attitude in those days was that all stray dogs were dangerous, potentially rabid, and should be exterminated.

Later had a dog in Fishguard that used to run along beside me on my bike. It vanished, having been stolen by some local travellers whose house had a mud floor. They were quite nasty - seemed threatening as I was only 11 - and I asked a copper if they had the right to take the dog. He said they hadn't, and offered to help me get it back. The intimidating gipsies were less intimidating when they saw the copper but said they'd been feeding the dog so it was theirs now. They kept it in the end I think.

My mother liked dogs but wasn't practical about them really. My father was permissive but not over-keen on animals.
>> The intimidating gipsies were less intimidating when they saw the copper but said they'd been feeding the dog so it was theirs now. They kept it in the end I think.

In fact, they said they would keep the dog unless I gave them money to cover its food costs. Of course I didn't have any money, and was bewildered because it had never crossed my mind that dog food cost money, and because I had never heard adults kicking up a fuss about anything so trivial, or trying to extort money from a child except in play or jest.

On the other hand I could see that their case had a sort of graceless, ugly justice to it. So I let the dog go. It seemed happy enough in its new home and didn't mind the mud or filth.

My parents were appalled but not surprised by the travellers' behaviour. They said in effect, Look, there are people like that, not our sort of people. They can't help being like that. Let this be a lesson to you for next time.

Like my dog in Ceylon, the Fishguard dog was a perky terrier type of pooch, very charming, a bit needy.
Last edited by: Armel Coussine on Wed 28 Oct 15 at 15:19
>> As she and her husband both got Alzheimer's, things descended into chaos in their Welsh farmhouse retirement refuge

I went to see them there once. He was alone and worried: she had driven off in the car and been gone for a long time.

I went outside and raced around the local roads until I spotted her, stopped by the side of the road. She realized I knew her because I addressed her by name. She didn't know where she was or how she had got there. I offered to drive her back but she didn't want to leave the car. I asked if she could drive and she said, oh yes. So I led her back to where she lived. She followed me perfectly competently, an old experienced driver.

God it was weird. One doesn't want to go gaga before one's time.
 Pets on Holiday - Zero

>> The restrictions imposed by having a dog would,
There are none.
>>
>> This
>> surely includes the restrictions that dog owning might impose on your life
there are none

This seems to be the point you are failing to grasp. There are no restrictions imposed on your life.

>> As I write this two dogs in a nearby house are yapping and whining. They
>> are left alone most days while the owners are at work. It's a pity their
>> owners did not give a little more thought into the responsibilities of dog ownership before
>> they acquired them.

Had a dog when I and the wife were working full time. If the dog is happy, content and secure it can be left in the home for 8 hours or more. What one has to do is chose the type of dog for ones lifestyle, and then still instil some security and confidence into the dog. If its a pup, I accept there are a lot of restrictions, inconveniences and damn hard work, but only for the first 8 months
>> This seems to be the point you are failing to grasp. There are no restrictions
>> imposed on your life.

There are restrictions.

An obvious one is hotel accommodation where dogs are not permitted for reasons of hygiene etc. As I pointed out to you last time we did this they're completely banned from Youth Hostels. That might not bother you and Nicole but it would close off something we continue to enjoy. Travel by ferry or air is problematic too. Walks that might involve hand to crag scrambling are another issue. Having watched a friend lifting a Dalmatian over a stile even ordinary country rambles can be awkward.

I fully accept you can adapt, mitigate or forego but to say there are no restrictions is, per BoJo, nonsense on stilts.
 Pets on Holiday - Zero
>> >> This seems to be the point you are failing to grasp. There are no
>> restrictions
>> >> imposed on your life.
>>
>> There are restrictions.

There are NO restrictions.
>>
>> An obvious one is hotel accommodation where dogs are not permitted for reasons of hygiene
>> etc.

Don't take it

>>As I pointed out to you last time we did this they're completely banned
>> from Youth Hostels. *

Don't take it

>> Travel by ferry

No problem

>>air is problematic too.

Don't take it

>>Walks that
>> might involve hand to crag scrambling are another issue. Having watched a friend lifting a
>> Dalmatian over a stile even ordinary country rambles can be awkward.

Nope as i explained, did a lot of hiking in the dales, including some pretty rough ground, the dog can get where a sheep can get. The dog can get to places Nicolle can't As its trained to scale a 6 foot fence a style is no problem. What animals do mountain rescue use? Dogs.

>> I fully accept you can adapt, mitigate or forego but to say there are no
>> restrictions is, per BoJo, nonsense on stilts.

Sorry you are getting restrictions on dogs mixed up with restrictions on owners. They are not the same. The only mitigation is finding somewhere to put the dog, one does not have to adapt or forego anything. In fact one has to expand ones horizons, a dog will get you into places you might not normally try.

*nothing on earth will get me in into a shabby stinking hovel with poor facilities, full of shabby stinking hikers - dog or no dog.
Last edited by: Zero on Tue 27 Oct 15 at 18:34
 Pets on Holiday - Zero

>> Sorry you are getting restrictions on dogs mixed up with restrictions on owners. They are
>> not the same. The only mitigation is finding somewhere to put the dog, one does
>> not have to adapt or forego anything. In fact one has to expand ones horizons,
>> a dog will get you into places you might not normally try.

I accept that one does however have to choose the dog carefully to match your existing or intended lifestyle, and there may well be extra expense to maintain any lifestyle you wish. But restrictions on what you want to do or go? none.
>> I accept that one does however have to choose the dog carefully to match your
>> existing or intended lifestyle, and there may well be extra expense to maintain any lifestyle
>> you wish. But restrictions on what you want to do or go? none.

I really don't know why you're pushing thus except for the supposed satisfaction of the last word. You're fine with a dog and the 'Dont Take It' issues that arise. Others quite like the things a dog means you don't take.

Horses/Courses.

It's not a contest.
Last edited by: VxFan on Tue 27 Oct 15 at 21:42
 Pets on Holiday - Zero

>> I really don't know why you're pushing this

Because you are wrong.
 Pets on Holiday - Roger.

>>In fact one has to expand ones horizons, a dog will get you into places you might not normally try.>>

Yeah - a vet's surgery where you ill be relieved of large wodges of gelt. (Or your pet insurers wil)
>> *nothing on earth will get me in into a shabby stinking hovel with poor facilities,
>> full of shabby stinking hikers - dog or no dog.

Me neither. Youth Hostels on the other hand.....
 Pets on Holiday - Zero
>> >> *nothing on earth will get me in into a shabby stinking hovel with poor
>> facilities,
>> >> full of shabby stinking hikers - dog or no dog.
>>
>> Me neither. Youth Hostels on the other hand.....

yeah exactly one and the same.
 Pets on Holiday - sooty123
Snipquote for the umpteenth time!!!!!! Why do you keep ignoring the request to not quote everything when replying?

>> yeah exactly one and the same.
>>

Not get on with them when you stopped there?
Last edited by: VxFan on Tue 27 Oct 15 at 21:31
 Pets on Holiday - Zero
Dartmouth, 2011.
 Pets on Holiday - sooty123
What went wrong?
 Pets on Holiday - Zero
>> What went wrong?

It was full of boring walkers with smelly socks, smelly boots, smelly damp clothes, all of them raving loony left wingers whining about dog poo.

Plus a shed load of bikes outside.
Last edited by: Zero on Tue 27 Oct 15 at 21:31
>> Dartmouth, 2011.
>>

No current YHA establishment in that area. Do you mean the former Maypool hostel which may have run independently as some sort of bunkhouse?

The official ones I've been in recently Honister, Black Sail, Ennerdale, Borrowdale/Longthwaite and Jordans were clean, well maintained and populated by fellow walkers etc who were odour free and excellent company.
 Pets on Holiday - Zero
>> >> Dartmouth, 2011.
>> >>
>>
>> No current YHA establishment in that area.

Well thats ruddy useless then isn't it, whats the point in not having them where you need them?

Do you mean the former Maypool hostel which
>> may have run independently as some sort of bunkhouse?

I do

Of course there a restrictions .Don't be so silly. You can't get on a an Easyjet flight with a dog or stay in most hotels. That you choose to find alternatives like taking a ferry or self catering doesn't mean there aren't restrictions.

Off to see "Spectre" now. I think it's a dog free cinema. :-)

Pets on Holiday - Zero
>> Of course there a restrictions .Don't be so silly. You can't get on a an
>> Easyjet flight with a dog or stay in most hotels.

BUT having a dog hasn't stopped me taking any easy jet flight or staying in any hotel. I just don't take it, therefore its no restriction.

>> That you choose to find
>> alternatives like taking a ferry or self catering doesn't mean there aren't restrictions.

The alternative is you don't take it. No restriction.

>> Off to see "Spectre" now. I think it's a dog free cinema. :-)

I am off tomorrow, the dog will stay at home. No restriction.
Last edited by: Zero on Tue 27 Oct 15 at 18:18
I think you are talking twaddle.

Good night.
 Pets on Holiday - Zero
>> I think you are talking twaddle.
>>
>> Good night.

Its not twaddle, its experience of dog ownership. You haven't got it

Good night
 Pets on Holiday - Zero
>> Why people take dogs on holiday is a mystery to me. What sort of holiday
>> is it when you are tied to the feeding, dog emptying and muck gathering as
>> well as being denied access with it to many places you could otherwise visit?

Why? Because taking a dog away is a holiday. So far we have have had dog vacations in every part of the UK. Two weeks ago it was a week in the Derbyshire Dales. We went to Chatsworth, did the house, (no dog) then the grounds (dog on lead), Bolsover Castle (ditto), Hardwick Hall, (ditto) and much walking in the dales, with the dog amusingly body surfing down the weirs in Dovedale.

In fact we have had about 20 super holidays in all parts of the UK, that we would normally not have bothered with.

>>Not
>> to mention the stinky car.

Dont mention the stinky car.
Last edited by: VxFan on Tue 27 Oct 15 at 21:43
 Pets on Holiday - R.P.
No issues with taking the dogs on holidays...allowed in most pubs we visited...fine by me ! You certainly see places that you might not with dogs - ours run free where and when possible, and you get to see some nice places.
One of my cats often comes up to the mountains. No tether or restriction, sniffs about a bit, chases the odd leaf, but doesn't wander far, comes when called.

She seems to enjoy it.

Animals on holiday, or visiting, are pretty much like kids - no real issue if they are well behaved, supervised and entertained by their owners.
 Pets on Holiday - Zero
Just got a pet passport for the doggie, so its off to germany and france with her some time next year.
Genuine question, Z. I've had two dogs in my time on this planet, both have been completely intolerable in cars. Whine, whine, whine, worry, whine whine, whine. Non-stop, be it a 5 minute trip to the park or a three hour drive. This has prevented me from even bothering with a pet passport for the current dog, it would be impossible to take it to France in the car without murdering it.

I have tried harnesses and crates. These have not worked.

What can be done? If I ever get another dog, I am going to insist on a minimum hour's road test before I agree to take it on.
My two always regarded going in the car as the most exciting thing that could ever possibly happen to a dog.

For about 30 seconds.

Then they slept or just watched out the window.

Dogs I've been around has taken its mood and emotions from the people its with. So since I regarded taking the dogs in the car as normal, seemingly so did they.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Tue 27 Oct 15 at 13:21
 Pets on Holiday - Zero

>> What can be done? If I ever get another dog, I am going to insist
>> on a minimum hour's road test before I agree to take it on.

To be honest? no idea.

One dog I had hated cars. Hated the movement. Panted, slobbered, shook. However, the destination was always so exciting it overcame the fear of the journey, so always jumped willingly into the boot. I had to learn to ignore my sympathy for the dog and all was well (in my world at least)

The current dog, firstly from the off refused to get into the car. Ever. Under no circumstances would it get in. Had to be picked up and thrown in, whereupon it jumped right out again. Comical but extremely annoying for me, let alone inconvenient. Three days of calm gentle praise, rewarding, and dinnertimes in the car cracked that. I am however left with two car issues. Barking. Barking (she has the worse bark you ever heard, a shrill staccato loud fast bark). Barking when the handbrake comes on and the engine goes off, barking when left alone in the car (as long as she can see me - clams down when I am out of site). Its not separation anxiety, its "dont you dare leave me out of whatever is going on" annoyance. I probably could cure it, BUT I have the dog behaving in every other way I want, in a keen and happy manner, and I don't want to knock the dog down, so i will tolerate it. Journeys on the move she is fine, apart from one small issue, she scuffs anything on the boot floor with her nose, making it sore and bleeding. So she has a clear hard boot floor, no nice soft blanket, nothing to scuff , so no sore nose.
 Pets on Holiday - R.P.
Dogs go with us in the MH. Seems to be an arrangement that works...down to a fine art now. Working Cocker sleeps on his bed on the backwards facing driver's seat...the Springer sleeps where he wants. The Cocker loves it and is very settled. The Springer less so. What is a pain is when it rains...doggy management becomes an "issue"...most sites put up with dogs, some are better than others. especially the smaller ones, where they can run free - if other campers are happy of course. Better to be free-range !

As regards dogs in the car - they generally travel in the MINI van.....we have a purpose built box for them, with a partition keeps the car cleanish and means you can control egress very easily. The Cocker loves the car...any excuse to get in. The Springer less so and is sometimes reluctant to get in outward, but for some odd reason is fine inbound...there has been the occasional display of mad macho stuff which means ideally they're separated in the car. By good luck the X1's purpose made carpet with protection flap was kept after I sold the car - this fits into the MINI perfectly and further protects the interior...the box is a stunning bit of bespoke kit. It even has emergency exits at the back in the event of rear end shunt.

The guy who built the box for me - is diversifying into plastic boxes - may have a look at one of those for the Beemer.
 Pets on Holiday - Dog
My 8 month old Pointer hates the car [noyvous] whereas my 3 month old Beauceron luvs it and travels everywhere with me, daft really because Beau is 'sposed to be the stay-at-home guard dog.
 Pets on Holiday - R.P.
They are strange...When I got the Cocker at 18 months, he'd never been in a car - he was sick a few times but that was it......he loves it. The Springer has been in the car regularly since we brought him home as a pup. He was never ill or anything, he tolerates the car and that's it....
 Pets on Holiday - Dog
The Pointer is a bit highly strung TBH (show type rather than working) but he's still young of course, doesn't cock his leg yet. A winter up here should sort him out though ... one way or the other.
 Pets on Holiday - diddy1234
I took my African Grey camping with me this year.

no real problems. Other kids were always over chatting to it.
Fellow campers were in fits of laughter at being wolf whistled too if not sworn at.

The parrot only swore a few times. even one German campers commented how funny the bird was even with his swearing.

the only problem was that there were a couple of places we wanted to visit where we could not take the bird but the owner of the camp site had him during the day and no problems at all.
 Pets on Holiday - Stuartli
Those who keep cats and dogs, rabbits or other pets which require regular care and attention and who bring their children up to be equally responsible are, on the whole, very much nicer and kinder people that you would normally meet in life...:-)
 Pets on Holiday - Pat
I was reading this thread and wanted to make this reply to Manatee, but it seems you've done it for me Stuart!

Loyalty, companionship, empathy, gratitude are just a few of the gifts I get from our 5 old rescue cats.

It seems a long time since I've had those in abundance from humans.....

Pat
 Pets on Holiday - Zero
>> I was reading this thread and wanted to make this reply to Manatee, but it
>> seems you've done it for me Stuart!
>>
>> Loyalty,

Yes they will be loyal to all the seven people around about that are feeding them and think they belong to them.
Do you seriously think that pet owners are nicer than the rest of us? Will I be nicer if I become one?

I'm sincerely glad your cats enhance your life, but I'm sure you know they aren't grateful:)

Once I stopped myself anthropomorphising, I found cats a bit unpleasant. I certainly wouldn't leave one with a young baby.
Last edited by: Manatee on Tue 27 Oct 15 at 17:17
 Pets on Holiday - Pat
>>Do you seriously think that pet owners are nicer than the rest of us? <<

Yes, I do. It ranks along with a lot of other things in the way I, and a lot of other people, make our judgements of people.

Eyebrows close together.
Always dodging paying even though they can afford it.
Thin narrow lips
......you may laugh, but I'm never far out!

>>>Will I be nicer if I become one?<<

Too late for that, the damage is already done and your true feelings have been revealed:)

My yardstick may well have no scientific evidence but it works for me.

Pat
 Pets on Holiday - Cliff Pope

>>
>> The parrot only swore a few times. even one German campers commented how funny the
>> bird was even with his swearing.
>>

So it didn't do Hitler impersonations or even mention the war once?
 Pets on Holiday - Robbie34
I have had a dog since I was a child and wouldn't be without one. I now have two Cocker Spaniels who go everywhere with me.

My last dog got his Pet Passport - a piece of paper then - when they were first allowed to travel abroad. He came with me in the caravan until I bought a holiday home in France. He loved going away, and there were no problems taking him in hotels in France when travelling to and from my place in France. He also came to restaurants in France, and a Leclerc supermarket used to provide a trolley for pets - chariot pour animaux. This was a godsend as the weather was always far too hot to leave him in the car.

My present two love the car and are in the garage as soon as the door is opened. They are no problem as they are well behaved and have nice natures.

s177.photobucket.com/user/Robbie34_photo/media/091.jpg.html?sort=2&o=780
 Pets on Holiday - Pat
He does looked cheesed off Robbie, maybe it's because you've hidden the dog biscuits from him:)

Pat
This is Henry on holiday in France. He loves going away in the caravan, as does my younger Cocker, Jamie.

s177.photobucket.com/user/Robbie34_photo/media/IMG_1464_1.jpg.html?filters[user]=41942728&filters[recent]=1&sort=1&o=0
 Pets on Holiday - Mapmaker
What you can't get away from is that the houses and cars of people with dogs inevitably smell of dog.
 Pets on Holiday - Zero
>> What you can't get away from is that the houses and cars of people with
>> dogs inevitably smell of dog.

Car does for sure. Its got 5 years of wet dog, dog sweat, dog dribble, dog hairs and dog bum ingrained in the boot sides and carpet. The hairs are interwoven in the material and are never coming out. Its unsaleable to anyone who hates dog. but as its only worth 400 quid and will be driven into the ground thats no problem. If you have a good expensive car, you can prevent this by using expensive fully fitted cages.

House, not the same ball game. The dog comes in clean or it does not come in at all. Not allowed on any furniture anywhere, and stripped and sealed floorboards ensure there are no fitted carpets to soak up dog. Rugs are easily cleaned.
No part of me wants to share my house or my car interior with a dog. Ugh.
 Pets on Holiday - Pat
Equally, no part of me wants to share my house, car or life with another human being other than immediate family.

Cars always smell of something, whether it's frequent fast food, cigarette smoke, air fresheners or just plain old BO, so to some of us at least one of those will be unacceptable.

It's a matter of choice and there's always the old adage.... a second class ride is better than a first class walk.

Pat
 Pets on Holiday - legacylad
I've not had a dog for probably ten years ( I have a Lakeland but he lives with my Mum). Never took my previous dogs on holiday because they involved skiing, backpacking or long haul to the sun in winter.
However, I recently backpacked the Tahoe Rim Trail with a female friend, and we took her 2yo Australian Heeler on the 3 week trip. He was the star of the show. Every one we met wanted to know about him and he slept like a dog. Which he is. Apart from the first night which he spent wide awake looking at the stars through a mesh tent. And listening to coyotes and unusual sounds of night in the mountains. After that we put the fly sheet on.
I think he enjoyed the holiday as much as us.
My car doesn't smell doggy. Leather seats don't hold smells and I also have an air freshener. Unfortunately, the mats do have lots of dog hairs but are easily removed and vacuumed.

Neither does the house smell of dogs. Basic cleaning of the house; regular grooming of the dogs; and the judicious use of air fresheners serve to keep it smelling fresh.
 Pets on Holiday - Old Navy
I saw a sign on a shop door in the lake district a couple of days ago, "Dry dogs on dry days only". My farmer pal had the it right. Dogs are animals and are not allowed in the house.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Tue 27 Oct 15 at 19:14
 Pets on Holiday - Zero
>> I saw a sign on a shop door in the lake district a couple of
>> days ago, "Dry dogs on dry days only".

Saw a sign on a pub door in the dales, Muddy Dogs and Muddy boots welcome, no children.

Suits me.
 Pets on Holiday - John Boy
I don't have a dog, nor do I want one, but I can easily appreciate the special relationship which they have with humans.

Some years ago I helped a friend look after some animals in Shropshire whilst their owners were away on holiday. One of them was a border collie, which had been rescued after ill-treatment by previous owners. It was great fun to take for walks and had the endearing habit of walking behind us, "herding" us along. We could rely on it to stay with us, except if we heard a jet plane up above. That would cause it to make an immediate bolt for home.

If we went out by car the dog would leap out as soon as the door was opened, in anticipation of a walk, whenever we stopped. On one occasion, however, no amount of persuasion would get it out of the car. We'd stopped in a car park on the edge of Lake Vyrnwy in Powys. It's a reservoir, created by damming part of a valley, and contains the remains of a submerged village. A church, 2 chapels, 3 inns, 10 farmhouses and 37 houses were demolished before the flooding and the remains of the dead were removed from the churchyard to be reburied in a settlement created elsewhere. It was obviously a massive upheaval for the inhabitants, so I've often wondered if the dog was somehow sensitive to what had happened there.

Any opinions or similar stories?
 Pets on Holiday - R.P.
I get a lot of pleasure out of both of them..They've been trapped in the house all day as we were both working. Raining when we got home so limited scope for being in the garden. Pleasant evening with them, teasing them with their toys. They are both sprawled in different rooms at the moment - but would be up in an instant if there was a walk in prospect as there will be a ten tonight.

Edit...both with me on the sofa at the now...the ten year old sitting on his toy duck for safety.
Last edited by: R.P. on Tue 27 Oct 15 at 20:13
 Pets on Holiday - Zero

>> Any opinions or similar stories?

My dog is aware of death. - Let me set the scene.

Fifi 2 is a very very confident dog, afraid of no-one or anything. Exceptionally socialised (over socialised if anything) she assumes everyone wants to be her friend. Curious and exploratory, she will examine anything (big, noisy, scary) to check it out. Scene set

Except twice. Once on the tow path of the Kennet and Avon. She was bowling along, scurrying about in and out and everywhere. A man was coming slowly the other way, clearly disabled in some way by way of his gait. I surmised a stroke. The dog was cowering behind me, and refused to approach within 20 yards of him. She was scared.

second time, was in Poole, we were walking along a path, when she suddenly stopped and refused to go further. I put her on the lead, and we carried on, and when we got to a bench with flowers and cards placed round it, she tried to drag away from it. I read the cards, and someone had passed away on that bench.

Putting the two things together, when I was back at the spot by the Kennet and avon, I recounted the tale to the barman at the local pub. The guy we met was a local, known in the pub, and had died some weeks earlier from a brain tumour.

I can only assume the dog knew he was on his last legs and it spooked her.

>>> I can only assume the dog knew he was on his last legs and it spooked her.

'They haven't got no noses,
The fallen sons of Eve... '

(Quoodle's Song, The Flying Inn, by G.K. Chesterton)

Death can be smelt, it has a scent. We don't notice it but dogs do.

Pets on Holiday - MD
I (we) have had numerous Dogs. Almost never been without one. Wouldn't know what to do without one. Her indoors has said "No more" after these two.

They are very restrictive (for some folk). However they suit me just fine whether walking, Shooting, Pub ing or just lazing about. Love them both. Despite being very feisty they adore both grand children to the point that I wouldn't want to be a stranger with dark intent in their presence. I am sure Zero knows exactly what I mean.
 Pets on Holiday - MD
I might post some pics if I knew how the hell to do it!
 Pets on Holiday - Zero

>> with dark intent in their presence. I am sure Zero knows exactly what I mean.

Yeah, FiFi 1, the famously wimpy lab, scared of its own shadow, put up a pretty ferocious and scary show with the girl next door when she was play fighting with my son. I thought she was going to bite her. Only time I ever saw her lip curl. She had teeth then too, big ones.
>> >> with dark intent in their presence.

Terrific phrase.

Do dogs feel 'dark intent' more quickly and accurately than we do? Seems quite likely.
When I was a child, we lived in a terraced house, with my paternal grandparents living next door. Unusual arrangement, a legacy of a convoluted and no doubt boring family story. Anyway, we had a labrador/boxer cross, and I think she considered Nan and Grandad as part of the pack.

One day, a week before Christmas, it had snowed lightly, nothing major, usual wet southern England stuff. My Mum was at home with the dog, children and Dad at work/school. She was at the back of the house in the kitchen (typical Victorian terrace), when the dog starts going barmy at the front door. Just the post she thinks. But no post arrives and the clamour gets greater, real distressed howling - very unusual for our dog.

Mum goes to investigate, and on opening the door the dog vaults the garden fence into grandparents' front garden. Grandad have been out gently sweeping the path and suffered a heart attack and collapsed on the path. Sadly he was too far gone to be saved by the time the ambulance arrived, but it always amazed me that the dog genuinely knew there was a serious problem. The front door was solid and opaque, she couldn't have seen the situation unfolding.
>> having a dog hasn't stopped me taking any easy jet flight or staying in any hotel. I just
>>don't take it,

Poor dog. Unless it has a second home/family, poor dog. That's the point at which having a dog has become the owner's lifestyle choice rather than the dog's.
 Pets on Holiday - Dog
>> Poor dog. Unless it has a second home/family, poor dog. That's the point at which having a dog has become the owner's lifestyle choice rather than the dog's.

'Bout 13 years ago, I got a GSD from a rescue centre and was told the mutt was in there due to the previous owners ill health.

The dog suffered quite badly with IBS, brought on, as I later found out by previous owner bringing up and treating him like a baby, and then putting the poor mite in kennels while she sodded orf to the states for 2 weeks.

I also found out, later, that the dog had bitten her BiL, going on to bite my 'friend' quite badly on the leg, and also attempted to remove the calf muscle of a lawn mower service man.

Mutt had to be 'put to sleep' in the end, for his own good, as well as others.

The 'rescue' centre on the Devon/Cornwall border was supposedly a specialist GSD rescue centre but, they lied to me about Arnie - in it solely for the mone£ you see.
 Pets on Holiday - Zero
>> >> having a dog hasn't stopped me taking any easy jet flight or staying in
>> any hotel. I just
>> >>don't take it,
>>
>> Poor dog. Unless it has a second home/family, poor dog.

The dog goes to stay with friends in the new forest. Poor dog? hardly

>> That's the point at which
>> having a dog has become the owner's lifestyle choice rather than the dog's.

A dog is a dog, its lifestyle choice is to eat dead rats in ditchwater, mangel squirrels and roll in fox poo, buck or be bucked. The domestic dogs lifestyle choice became ours the day caveman first temped the wolf to the side of the camp fire with the offer of food.
>>The dog goes to stay with friends in the new forest. Poor dog? hardly

I'm sure yours is delighted with its second family. I was making a more general point about people who put their mutts into kennels.
 Pets on Holiday - Pat
I pay £15 per day to have a woman come in twice a day for an hour each visit to feed and fuss 5 cats. I get daily photos on the phone of them all along with a report and she also waters the hanging baskets and feeds the fish in the pond, as well as the hedgehogs for that too.

I met a couple of people who wanted to do it before settling on this one, but she's a genuine animal lover who has 5 dogs (Burmese Mountain dogs??) big ones anyway and would love to have a cat but can't.

I wouldn't dream of putting them in a cattery and for us, it's part of the responsibility we take on when we re-home them.

She's even looking after them on Christmas Eve, Christmas Day and Boxing Day while we're in Cornwall in the caravan!

That'll be an interesting Xmas lunch with my cooking skills:)

Pat

Pets on Holiday - MD
You could pop in here for a munch then Rugger orf. I'll run it passed Erin and see. I'll get back to you soon (if I'm intact).
 Pets on Holiday - Pat
Thanks for the offer MD, but we've decided to be anti-social this year and have an 'alternative Christmas day!

We almost booked lunch in Looe then realised we had to be there for 12.30 or 3pm and even worse had to get 'dressed up and be polite to people we didn't know at all for a couple of hours.

So, we plan to walk a stretch of the Coastal Path in the morning if the weather is fit, have a paddle and then go back to the van to get warm and have a 'full english' or at least something very easy.

I know it's not everyone's idea of Christmas Day but for us it will be absolute bliss:)

Pat
 Pets on Holiday - MD
Pat. I've had a change of heart.

I'm coming to you. Sounds like my kinda day😀
 Pets on Holiday - Pat
You're very welcome MD, and would you bring the dogs too, please, I love sloppy canine kisses and cuddles!

Pat
Lots of canines enjoying a days holiday....

vimeo.com/108863795
 Pets on Holiday - Dog
Howl amazing!
 Pets on Holiday - Old Navy
How long was the pool out of use for cleaning after that? If a child has an accidental discharge it can be 24 hours.
 Pets on Holiday - Zero
>> How long was the pool out of use for cleaning after that? If a child
>> has an accidental discharge it can be 24 hours.

24 hours. Qty makes no difference.
 Pets on Holiday - VxFan
>> How long was the pool out of use for cleaning after that? If a child has an accidental discharge it can be 24 hours.

A few years ago there was a floater in the local leisure centre swimming pool. Everyone was asked to get out of the pool while one of the lifeguards fished it out with a net and then said everyone could use it again. None of this 24 hr elf n' safety nonsense.
Bark & Splash is an annual event held at Folsom Aquatic Center. The Center closes to the public in October and canines are only allowed to use the Activity Pool. After the days fun, the pool is drained, sanitised & cleaned.
Reopens sometime in Spring. A fun event, well supported by locals and their dogs.
Latest Forum Posts