Non-motoring > Tattoos & piercings anyone? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: legacylad Replies: 87

Tattoos & piercings anyone? - legacylad
Anyone got any? And if so what, why & where? Personally I have none, possibility a genetic dislike to them because my late father served in the MN during WW2 and had none either.
I dislike old blokes with large gold earrings, gold neck chains worn outside their clothes and huge rings. For no reason other than I think they look a bit naff.
The only 'jewellery' I wear is the occasional friendship bracelet made by a dear friend in CA who helped me through a rough period several years who when I was ill, and whose home she and her husband refer to as ' my home' also. And a sterling silver genuine Hopi Indian bracelet depicting running water & other stuff I won't bore you with.
I have considered the odd discreet tattoo but never bothered...although my big toes currently are painted with the flag of St George & the Stars & Bars. Not much to do at night in wilderness areas apart from sit around a camp fire, drink beer & gaze at the constellations overhead from the comfort of your sleeping bag.
 Tattoos & piercings anyone? - sooty123
None of either, for some reason or other getting either have never appealed to me in the slightest.
 Tattoos & piercings anyone? - R.P.
Not for me. Most people seem to have one, including one dude who has a spider's web on his face in the town I work. Useful for the police I suppose.
 Tattoos & piercings anyone? - Armel Coussine
I must be poncy and effeminate. On my left, watch wrist I also have three of those twisted copper health bracelets, an Indian silver bangle with some fine wirework and engraving, a rubber Help for Heroes wristband and an inch-wide, thick, hand-tooled aluminium African bracelet kept polished by coat and shirt sleeves. They jingle nicely from time to time. The watch, a big plain Swatch worn on the inside of the wrist, needs a new battery though, big nuisance but there's no point in wearing it when it isn't going.

Ponce ponce. Call me names, I don't care.
No jewellery for me apart from a watch. Couldn't be doing with anything else on my wrists, too much faffing about with them, I think all that sort of stuff would just annoy me.
Last edited by: sooty123 on Sat 31 Oct 15 at 15:27
My only decoration is a watch. Took it off this morning for a wash...forgot to put it back...feels odd
I don't wear a watch, getting the time off my mobile.
I know someone who went to a tattoo party at a parlour in Taos, NM. Body part names & tattoo images were put into two separate hats, you drew them out, and hey presto. He ended up with Mr Kool Aid ( an orange figure with added tail) and a Veloco Raptor.
You couldn't make it up.....
 Tattoos & piercings anyone? - No FM2R
No tattoos, no piercings, a watch, three leather & wood necklaces all of which i have worn for more than 30 years.
 Tattoos & piercings anyone? - Robin O'Reliant
Tattoos are alright when you are young and your skin is nice and smooth. Those people who have giant ones covering either arms, backs or legs (Sometimes all three) will look an unholy mess well before middle age.

Cheryl Cole being a case in point -

tinyurl.com/ogl2cq4
Last edited by: R.P. on Sat 31 Oct 15 at 16:32
 Tattoos & piercings anyone? - Ted

Cheap watch...nowt else. Can't abide men in loads of bling...usually in a vest and jog pants with a big belly...trying to look trendy and young.

Funny though...I can't wear me watch in bed .........don't know why .
I always took my watch off once I retired to bed. I see more & more 'young' people with large tattoos, especially girls. Huge tats on their backs, thighs, shoulders. Personally no matter how pretty I find it a huge turn off. Yuk.
 Tattoos & piercings anyone? - Harleyman
Neither. Have occasionally considered a tattoo but never seriously. And piercing, never.

Jewellery; none when at work (goes back to my days as an Army mechanic when a colleague incinerated two fingers by shorting out a battery with his signet ring) and my late father's Omega wristwatch when I go out.

Last edited by: Harleyman on Sat 31 Oct 15 at 16:12
 Tattoos & piercings anyone? - Cliff Pope
Watch only. I don't wear it at home, there are plenty of clocks around if I really want to know the time. It lives in the pot in the kitchen where I keep my small change. I can't bear that in my pocket when I'm at home either.
 Tattoos & piercings anyone? - Zero
I have some ink. A discrete castle and hammers right upper outside bicep, a souvenir of when I used to run with the firm. Kept its colours well. No piercings, no jewellery apart from a few watches.
 Tattoos & piercings anyone? - zippy
Don't like them myself.

When dating a couple of years ago, the number of tattoos and piercings in ladies in my age group really surprised me and put me off to be honest, especially if the tattoos included someone's name!

Tattoos & piercings anyone? - RattleandSmoke
Despite a lot of my mates being in the alternative crowd I don't have any. Just don't really get the appeal. The only bling I ever wear on occasions is a Sophie wristband. She was a 'goth' who got murdered because of the way she looks.

When I go out at weekends the clothes I wear tend to be very alternative but nothing extreme.
>>She was a 'goth' who got murdered because of the way she looks.

I remember it on the news at the time.

Frightening that there are people like this about - to attack someone just because they are different - unfortunately this is the way of many of the sick people in the world.

My Mother was always an exponent of live and let live - you may not like it but differences make the world a more interesting and better place for everyone - it has rubbed off on me and I hope I have passed it on to my kids.

Last edited by: zippy on Sat 31 Oct 15 at 17:16
 Tattoos & piercings anyone? - Runfer D'Hills
I have thought of having a pair of dark socks tattooed on to save having to find a matching pair every morning but as I usually wear boots it seems an indulgence. A nipple ring appeals a bit as it would be a jolly handy place to hang your sunglasses when on holiday. In fact a pair of nipple rings would be even better so you could use the other side for reading glasses. I could also be persuaded to have a life sized eagle on my back with its wings running down the backs of my arms. Would look like it was taking off if you were swimming butterfly.

Never seem to get around to any of it, but maybe one day.
so no-one here has considered a PA then?
No, but I have wondered about a 'Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious' tattoo in the same region...
>> No, but I have wondered about a 'Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious' tattoo in the same region...

Not sure nano technology has reached the tattoo parlour yet.
There was a chap who had his fiancé's name "Wendy" tattooed on the appropriate member but most of the time only the first and last letters were visible.

On honeymoon in the Caribbean he found himself in the mens' room and glanced over at the really tall gent next to him who also had "Wy" on his manhood.

The chap asked the gent, "I can't help noticing the Wy tatoo, do you have a girl friend named Wendy as well!?"

"No mon", came the reply, "It reads, Welcome to Jamaica babe, have a nice day"
 Tattoos & piercings anyone? - Roger.
No tats, no piercings and I NEVER wear any jewellery of any kind, including a wedding ring.
 Tattoos & piercings anyone? - CGNorwich
Just a couple of butterfly tattoos on my right arm and single earring and a chunky gold necklace for me.
>> Just a couple of butterfly tattoos on my right arm and single earring and a
>> chunky gold necklace for me.

I had you down for diamond ear studs
Yep those as well. I normally only wear them down the allotment though.
Reminds me of the story of the lady who wanted to surprise and delight her bee keeping husband by having a bee tattooed on each of her buttocks.

When later that night in the bedroom she bent down to show him her new ink he exclaimed 'Who the hell is 'Bob' ?!...
Hahhahahahhahaha....sorry...not right but it made me laugh for the first time all day.
>> No tats, no piercings and I NEVER wear any jewellery of any kind, including a wedding ring.

I wouldn't have tattoos let alone piercings. And I was brought up to think a gentleman doesn't wear bling. However there came a time when I realized I wasn't that sort of gentleman, or couldn't be bothered to be. Now I like my jangly bangles and think they look OK. And of course the gold wedding ring from Herself, the lost-and-found one, is precious.

I've got a beautiful simple necklace of small, real turquoise beads which I wear on special occasions, a valuable present from an Iraqi friend. It lives usually on a shelf next to the bed, nestling inside a wooden and tortoiseshell bracelet which also gets added on special occasions.

That must make me sound a frightful cad to you Rastaman. Perhaps I am one, but not everyone thinks so.
>> I've got a beautiful simple necklace of small, real turquoise beads which I wear on special occasions, a valuable present from an Iraqi friend. It lives usually on a shelf next to the bed, nestling inside a wooden and tortoiseshell bracelet which also gets added on special occasions.

In fact I put them both on this evening, deciding that the Mexican GP was a special occasion. That reminded me that the necklace is actually a Shi'ite rosary, and that the wooden bangle is beautifully inlaid with two sorts of tortoiseshell and small panels of mother-of-pearl. Three of the latter (out of 40) have come off and been lost.

It's a very fine object. I believe it was given to me by a brother-in-law, also a friend for 55 years and once a brilliant intellectual. He's still alive but lost to us, having succumbed tragically to early onset dementia (like his mother).

Funny old world, but not always very cheerful. Trinkets help a bit, but not much.

As for the Mexican GP, it was held in an autodromo named after the Rodriguez brothers. I don't know the other one's name but I've seen Pedro twice racing sports cars at Brands Hatch. The first time he managed to contain a horrendous slide while driving a Ferrari 275LM I think, a fairly lethal mid-engined device of which few examples were made. The second time he was driving a Porsche 917 - an even more lethal device - in the rain. It was the only time Herself came to a motor race. I was completely riveted but she hated the rain, the cold and the clamour from that naked flat-12 engine. Some people are never satisfied. Tsk.

Those Rodriguezes are proper rich Mexican lunatics. Chapeau!
I hoped the local man Perez would do well, and he did make up three places I think. But a podium for him would really have pleased the enormous, enthusiastic audience.

You can't have everything though. And the result was fairly predictable. Both the Ferrari drivers stuffed it unfortunately.

The Mercedes drivers shook hands rather briskly for the cameras I noticed. Sportingness has to be remembered. But I wonder how much team orders came into it? The man who came second seemed less uneasy than the winner I thought.
>> Those Rodriguezes are proper rich Mexican lunatics. Chapeau!

I should have said 'were', because Pedro was killed racing in 1971, and not all of the five brothers were car racers. There was another racing brother I think, Carlos.

Both had careers in GP/F1 too.
 Tattoos & piercings anyone? - PhilW
"I should have said 'were', because Pedro was killed racing in 1971, and not all of the five brothers were car racers. There was another racing brother I think, Carlos."

Both had careers in GP/F1 too. "

The other one was Ricardo I think AC- remember being rather saddened by his death at such young age. But then there was a lot of sadness in the death of a number of young drivers in those days..........
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ricardo_Rodr%C3%ADguez_(racing_driver)
>> Porsche 917 - an even more lethal device - in the rain

The car had in some versions 1,000 hp, so in the wet even with two-foot wide rear tyres (I'm hardly exaggerating) it got wheelspin in every gear. The resulting howls and yowls from that naked air-cooled flat 12 were stirring to say the least. How the driver kept the thing on the road was hard to understand.
Zippy, the version I heard had the gents name Welland tattoos on his member. On occasion it read ' Welcome to Barbados. I hope you enjoy your stay on our beautiful island'.
The Welsh version involves a more modest Ludo and Llandudno..
>> I have some ink. A discrete castle and hammers right upper outside bicep, a souvenir
>> of when I used to run with the firm.
>>

That is one that I have actually considered in the past. You can divorce your wife, fall out with family etc, but a football club is for life.
 Tattoos & piercings anyone? - Dog
No tattoos or piercings. I did consider having a red lion on my wrist and a swallow on my hand between my thumb and index finger like two of my friends had, but I never got a roun tuit.

The only 'jewellery' I wear, is a silver ankh on a chain, which I wear todo el tiempo.
 Tattoos & piercings anyone? - bathtub tom
I think the term 'tramp stamp' to be very appropriate.

I've often repeated the phrase: A persons intelligence is inversely proportional to their body mutilations.

I also liked the quote by an ex-copper who became a stand-up comedian with a series on R4, about judging a persons character by their teeth to tattoos ratio.

I've none, although a daughter has one on her ankle which she now seems to regret. I do wear a watch and a medical emergency necklace for a drug I take.
I've never needed an emergency necklace for beer
Which reminds me, it's now 70 mins since beer o'clock do time yo get out a few chilled bottles of Sierra Nevada Oktoberfest. Goes well with fish tacos.
 Tattoos & piercings anyone? - Fursty Ferret
Just a watch. Even that's a running watch.
 Tattoos & piercings anyone? - WillDeBeest
Good. Anyone here wear a watch that doesn't run?
Last edited by: WillDeBeest on Mon 2 Nov 15 at 22:44
 Tattoos & piercings anyone? - No FM2R
Me.
'Sierra Nevada Oktoberfest.'

A limited edition of some description? If so do tell, I'll keep an eye I'm due stateside later this year.
Yes limited edition. Bought from Raleys, Placerville today.
No Trick or treaters yet, only some religious folks coming a knocking, but 7 hours behind GMT.
Cloudless blue skies, almost 80 degrees, and the next doors neighbours pool is looking very inviting and they are not home! Don't want to get shot though!
They sell the standard at Morrisons...and very nice it is too.
>> They sell the standard at Morrisons...and very nice it is too.
>>

Boggo stuff is like an IPA iirc? takes me a bit of getting used to. Prefer the modelo or negra modelo when stateside.
>> Yes limited edition. Bought from Raleys, Placerville today.
>> No Trick or treaters yet, only some religious folks coming a knocking, but 7 hours
>> behind GMT.

Well the sun's well past the yard arm then, glug glug glug. You had any of it yet? Let us know what it's like.
Leffe Nectar tonight !
>> The only 'jewellery' I wear, is a silver ankh on a chain, which I wear todo el tiempo.

I thought an ankh was a heavy sharp spike used to spur on lazy elephants in the Orient... surely you don't wear a full-size one Perro? No, that would be silly. It must be a silver miniature version, or some other kind of ankh that I haven't heard of.

I'm not sniping here. Enlighten me Perro if you can be bothered.
An ankh is the ancient Egyptian hieroglyphic character that read "life" or breath of life. It represents the concept of eternal life.

The Egyptian gods are often portrayed carrying it by its loop, or bearing one in each hand, arms crossed over their chest.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ankh#/media/File:Ankh_(SVG)_01.svg

>> >> en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ankh#/media/File:Ankh_(SVG)_01.svg

Gracias Perro.
De nada Sire ... I tried to be clever and translate Sire into Spanish via Google translate, and it came up with ...

Semental = stud.

:}
 Tattoos & piercings anyone? - Duncan
>> I dislike old blokes with large gold earrings, gold neck chains worn outside their clothes
>> and huge rings. For no reason other than I think they look a bit naff.
>>

And pig tails.
Yes, pig tails. On old blokes. I don't have a problem with them, just think that they look a bit, well, funny.
And the cold Sierra Nevada Oktoberfest was delightful. Soon chugged down 6 bottles this afternoon. Busy working stripping down the tomato plants, of which the 7lb of various toms will be washed, cut in half, then dehydrated tomorrow. Dug out Tom plants, put on compost ( damn raccoon family come scouring the compost) turned soil over, raked level and awaiting manure pre winter. Then onto more serious matters.... Two Russian Mules, shared a bottles of SBlanc, meal with margeritas & tequila chasers, white wine in the tub & finally a nice brandy.
It's a tough life out here.
 Tattoos & piercings anyone? - MD
When young all of my mates had ink of some kind or another. I just didn't get it.

Only ever wear a watch and then rarely.
>> And pig tails.
>>

A pony tail on a man is exactly like a the one on a horse.

There's invariably an a*** hole underneath it
Last edited by: Harleyman on Sun 1 Nov 15 at 11:27
>>>>
>> A pony tail on a man is exactly like a the one on a horse.
>>
>> There's invariably an a*** hole underneath it
>>
Blimey HC, I though they were essential accessories for Harley riders, along with an armful of tattoos?
Hoppy is one of at least three men I have known who sometimes wore their hair in a pony tail. None of them was an a***hole although that's always a matter of opinion.
The only reason I wear my hair in a a***hole tail is because it's long [all three strands of it] and I don't do barbers.
 Tattoos & piercings anyone? - Bromptonaut
>> The only reason I wear my hair in a a***hole tail is because it's long
>> [all three strands of it] and I don't do barbers.

The Lad, 21, hasn't done barbers or a couple of years as he has been working on a Brian May in his prime barnet. Now more or less fully developed and he actually had a trim yesterday.

Wears it long socially but in a 'man bun' for driving and studying where it would otherwise be in way.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Sun 1 Nov 15 at 14:17
>>The Lad, 21, hasn't done barbers or a couple of years as he has been working on a Brian May in his prime barnet. Now more or less fully developed and he actually had a trim yesterday.

I would have a 'mans' haircut but, to be purrfectly honest, I've only ever had one alf-decent haircut in my life.
That was from a Vidal Sassoon-trained chap in Hastings 20 years ago. He (a Brit) went back to Athens shortly afterwards.

I remember he only used those very small scissors on my 3 strands of hair the whole time he was cutting it.
 Tattoos & piercings anyone? - Fursty Ferret

Wears it long socially but in a 'man bun' for driving and studying where it would otherwise be in way.

Adding "man bun" to list of disliked fads.
:-)
SQ 4 LB
>> Blimey HC, I though they were essential accessories for Harley riders, along with an armful of tattoos?

Got neither. They may be essential for those who like to live the "lifestyle", but not if you're just an enthusiast for the marque.
Last edited by: VxFan on Sun 1 Nov 15 at 19:28
>> A pony tail on a man is exactly like a the one on a horse.

>>There's invariably an a*** hole underneath it

I read that out to the missus - she didn't 'alf larf.

:o)
Gareth Bale - Hairband....might be good footballer, and a touch more intelligent than most of his peers....but a hair band...?

Short back and sides all my working life, I grew it for a while after retiring 6 years ago...but only for while.

>> Short back and sides all my working life, I grew it for a while after
>> retiring 6 years ago...but only for while.
>>

Funny, I did the same after leaving the Army; let it grow for about six months. Unfortunately my barnet isn't suited to longer styles so after getting fed up with perpetually dealing with what my mum used to call "cow licks"; those annoying bits that defiantly stick out no matter how much you wet and brush them; I reverted to the good old-fashioned Number 2 buzz-cut (Number 1 in summer) and have done that ever since.

The beard however is a different matter; it's allowed to flourish unhindered by scissors or razor.

>> Short back and sides all my working life,

After wearing it long and permed in the late 70s its been a No 4 all over ever since.
For the first time in over 40 years I actually PAID for a haircut.
My daughter & granddaughter were due for trims from an army-wife hairdresser lady who visits her customers.
I joined the queue and got a proper "army" haircut which should last until Christmas!
 Tattoos & piercings anyone? - Haywain
"haircut which should last until Christmas!"

Yes - but you don't want to time it too close to Christmas, otherwise it'll cost you a bigger tip! ;-)
 Tattoos & piercings anyone? - Manatee
Tattoos are a puzzle to me. I can understand the 'tribe' thing where somebody might have a strong affiliation to a service or even a football club and want to 'belong' with some sort of badge, but the current fashion is for supposedly unique designs. Fashion being the puzzle, since fashions are temporary and tattoos are permanent.

Not only that, but old tattoos look horrible. They all seem to end up like a failed attempt to wash out some spilt blue-black Stephens school ink.

Fact is though that tattoos are no longer just for old sailors and jailbirds, if they ever were. They are mainstream, if not yet quite classless. There seems to be a tattoo shop in every town, even the ones without a Tesco or Marks & Spencer.

Piercings are just weird - I always thought pierced ears were a bit odd, even if the Queen has them, but the rivets in the nose and through the tongue or lip are a bit too close to self harm for me. Very off-putting. Never mind the PA, if anybody actually has one - as if there isn't enough to busy oneself with - I just can't imagine the void that must exist in somebody's life that makes room for the thought "I must get a hole punched in my penis, that will be fun".

Tattoos & piercings anyone? - Haywain
" the rivets in the nose "

I've never been able to work out why they don't blast out like bullets when the wearer gives their nose a blow.
 Tattoos & piercings anyone? - Bromptonaut
>> " the rivets in the nose "

Lass who works in village shop has one through the flesh between her nostrils with a wee ball bearing on each end.

Not attractive at all - like a permanent dew drop!!

>> Lass who works in village shop has one through the flesh between her nostrils with
>> a wee ball bearing on each end.
>>
>> Not attractive at all - like a permanent dew drop!!
>>

I find them very off-putting; always sorely tempted to offer a handkerchief!

And lip rings. Yuk.
 Tattoos & piercings anyone? - sherlock47
>>>that makes room for the thought "I must get a hole punched in my penis, that will be fun<<<

How many other people will admit to an involuntary reaction of crossing legs/clinching buttocks on reading this?

>> Not only that, but old tattoos look horrible. They all seem to end up like
>> a failed attempt to wash out some spilt blue-black Stephens school ink.

They can yes, Careful choice of colours, design and modern inks however overcome this problem. Exposure to sun also washes them out, so choice of location matters.
 Tattoos & piercings anyone? - Kevin
Still got the "IBM UK Ltd" tattoo Z or have you had it removed?
>> Still got the "IBM UK Ltd" tattoo Z or have you had it removed?

Blue ink fades. Read all your little red book yet?
Last edited by: Zero on Sun 1 Nov 15 at 22:10
 Tattoos & piercings anyone? - Kevin
>Blue ink fades. Read all your little red book yet?

The whole thing every night from back to front. I think...
 Tattoos & piercings anyone? - DP
Mrs DP has 4. 3 are tiny (business card size or less). She has one larger one on her shoulder that's about palm size. All can be covered easily.

In truth I am completely indifferent to them. It isn't something I've ever been tempted with myself, even in my drunkest, silliest moments. They do nothing for me at all, but equally I don't dislike them. If she decided to plaster herself with them, we would have a problem, but a few subtle ones are fine with me. Hers have all been done by very skilled (and expensive) artists too, and are beautifully intricate, particularly the shoulder one.

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3300048/Stag-party-reveller-woke-sunglasses-tattooed-face.html

Hahhahaha.
 Tattoos & piercings anyone? - Alanovich
None on me, tats nor piercings, have only ever been half tempted with getting a small tattoo of my favourite football club's crest (old fashioned proper crest - not the current ugly crypto-swastika) . But frankly I think I'd end up regretting it.

I do get a bit uppity when folks get snobby about it, my Dad was a traditionally tattooed biker and it didn't make him a worse person. But having said that some people do go over the top and I don't like the recent fashion for putting them on necks, faces, parts of the body which can't be covered. Just a personal taste issue really.

"I don't like the recent fashion for putting them on necks, faces, parts of the body which can't be covered."

what about this?

www.freetattoodesigns.org/images/tattoo-gallery/head-tattoo.jpg

Tattoos & piercings anyone? - Alanovich
Absolutely, pointlessly, rucking fidiculous.

IMHO.

But he can do as he pleases with his own body.
 Tattoos & piercings anyone? - Crankcase
>> Absolutely, pointlessly, rucking fidiculous.
>>
>> IMHO.
>>
>> But he can do as he pleases with his own body.
>>

As no doubt Mrs Otzi said, a mere 5000 odd years ago. He had 61 tattoos.

www.iceman.it/en/tattoos

PS I know there should be an umlaut (I think?) on the O but it will come out strangely no doubt in some browsers.

Ötzi

Just testing
tinyurl.com/pf7hgds

Now THAT is weird.
Latest Forum Posts