Non-motoring > Signs of Spring Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Cliff Pope Replies: 41

Signs of Spring - Cliff Pope
Lovely warm weather, sunny, we sat outside yesterday for lunch and today looks promising too.
Frogs have been spawning like mad in the pond, crocuses are flowering, other bulbs are pushing up.

Is it all going to end badly, when nature suddenly realises Winter is supposed to come after Autumn?
 Signs of Spring - Dog
Still in shorts & T shirt here. 16° already and Sunni, might even take to the mower later, if only to suck up the leaves but, I wont be removing my winter tyres just yet.
 Signs of Spring - Harleyman
It invariably does. I thought my eyes were deceiving me the other day when I saw crocuses in bloom.

My guess is that we're probably due a harsh winter; mind you I do have vested financial interests since cold weather is good for animal feed sales!
 Signs of Spring - Armel Coussine
No premature signs of spring here. It's misty, damp and cold. Not even any signs of 'mellow fruitfulness' apart from Herself's pink roses at the back here which are flourishing and multiplying.
 Signs of Spring - Robin O'Reliant
Very warm and sunny here, we didn't have too many days like this in what passed for a summer.
 Signs of Spring - Bromptonaut
Bright cloudless and warm day here too. Drove into Northampton earlier to drop off rellies bound for Brum airport. Autopilot sent me 'back way' I use to avoid school buses etc on work days so lanes rather than villages and the M1N link road.

Lovely run through misty fields and autumn tinted woodland.

Back outside now to make most of sunshine while we empty caravan as it's off to dealers on Tuesday for warranty attention (grrr...!)
 Signs of Spring - Ambo
Primroses flowering here.
 Signs of Spring - No FM2R
Blue skies, not a cloud, not a bit of wind, even the flock of parrots in the walnut tree are quiet, snow still on the mountain tops.

But then, it actually *is* spring here.

I am having breakfast of reheated last night's chilli with a cold beer. Seems to be sorting out my hangover a treat.
 Signs of Spring - Roger.
We have just been up to the York area to take the grandchildren back to school after half term.
(We are the willing transport contractors, as we are quite close and can make an overnight break here, to save our daughter and SIL a long one day there and back trip and time off work on a weekday collection slot)
We left in almost sunshine, which grew progressively better until J42 on the A1M, when came nasty mizzley, grey stuff which persisted all the way to the school, lasted while we were there and for perhaps 20 miles down the A1/A1M on the way back. Then brilliant, warm sunshine right back to home. The trip is only 60 miles each way, but what a difference. Doors & windows are open at home as I write.
 Signs of Spring - Roger.
Back to motoring a bit.
Over the whole trip, of home to York, and back, home to Suffolk, pootling round there for the half term: then Suffolk to home and home to York & back, the Jazz returned 53 mpg, with which I am pretty happy.
Mostly A roads f course and mimsing speed - up to 60/65 max, to save fuel.
 Signs of Spring - sooty123
53 mpg on any petrol is pretty good going.
 Signs of Spring - Roger.
CVT was chosen because of a lesser fuel penalty than a slush-drive auto.

As a by-the-by, the A1 & A1M north & south from Blyth services (where we join and leave it) to J47 seem to have lots of nose to tail congestion, plus stop & start queueing for long stretches, even on a Sunday early/late afternoon. Friday congestion is really horrible, we found.

> As a by-the-by, the A1 & A1M north & south from Blyth services (where we
>> join and leave it) to J47 seem to have lots of nose to tail congestion,
>> plus stop & start queueing for long stretches, even on a Sunday early/late afternoon. Friday
>> congestion is really horrible, we found.

I used to commute on a weekly basis down there. Before they got rid of those roundabouts on the a1 and put in slip road it was much worse!
If possible it's sometimes best to cut across to the m1
 Signs of Spring - Dog
Bit of Cornish sunshine in Spain the other day I see:

www.theolivepress.es/spain-news/2015/10/26/video-floods-hit-costa-del-sol-as-heavy-rain-continues/
Sun pretty well down now and temperature plummeting.

Car may need scraping in the morning - unless there's morning sun geting to it first.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Sun 1 Nov 15 at 16:18
 Signs of Spring - CGNorwich
I doubt it. Temperature is not expected to fall below 9 degrees C in any part of England tonight. Lots of fog and mist though
Last edited by: CGNorwich on Sun 1 Nov 15 at 16:48
 Signs of Spring - Skip
Fog forming thick and fast here in Rochester. I can already sense that its going to be an even more crap commute up the A2 into London tomorrow than usual for a Monday morning !
 Signs of Spring - Ted

Lovely day here in Arcadia. Field mushrooms and ground Colombian coffee for brekkie, read the paper then moved the caravan a bit nearer the house so we have the option of using the bog during the week whilst the bathroom fitter swaps over the old bathroom's water and waste into the new room.

Did some ' setting up ' of my camera in the model railway room to try and make a decent film in the week coming. Ended up leaving the tripod closed, to make more room for me to stand without kicking it over, and tie wrapping it to the edge of the baseboard...very solid now as I will be hitting the pause button during the filming. Pork shoulder for tea accompanied by a nice Merlot.

Swimming in the morning at our new sports centre, then off to Altrincham to get some stuff from the model shop and. hopefully, sit out somewhere with a Mocha and a muffin...can things get any better ?
Fog started forming not long ago, but then it's bad for fog around here. Not as bad as when i lived in norfolk though. That was bad most be one of the worst places in England for inland fog
 Signs of Spring - CGNorwich
"Not as bad as when i lived in norfolk though. That was bad most be one of the worst places in England for inland fog"

Indeed. And its on such nights that you might come across Black Shuck, the devil''s dog with glowing red eyes the size of saucers
 Signs of Spring - WillDeBeest
...an even more crap commute...

Sadly, yes - especially after the light relief of two half-term weeks. I've not driven for a week: didn't even use a taxi in Athens but got about by metro, feet and a couple of organized bus trips. Let's hope I can remember how it goes.
Last edited by: WillDeBeest on Sun 1 Nov 15 at 17:14
 Signs of Spring - legacylad
Big fluctuations in temps here in northern CA. After a few cloudless days, it was 26 yesterday, 18 tops today and 11 tomorrow ( Monday). Rain forecast for today and tomorrow, but too late to save the lawn. Think it's dead now, but we shall see. Clocks back yesterday, but up at 6 dog walking near Coloma, south fork of the American River where gold was discovered in '48.
And with three wet dogs, the car stinks big time
>> I doubt it. Temperature is not expected to fall below 9 degrees C in any
>> part of England tonight. Lots of fog and mist though

Dropped from 17 to 12 in under an hour, currently 10.5. Looked as though there was grass frost this morn but possibly just very heavy dew.

As you say forecast is for overnight min of 9. Presumably fog will act as a blanket and/or prevailing airflow is still warm.
 Signs of Spring - Roger.
>> Bit of Cornish sunshine in Spain the other day I see:

Yes, friends of ours out there have been posting on Facebook about the tormentas and soggy roads.
When it rains on the Costa it often rains properly!
Drains and gutters are often blocked after a dry summer, with no cleansing being done by the cash strapped ayuntamientos.
There's always money for public fiestas though!
 Signs of Spring - Bobby
Was out on my bike today here in Lanarkshire with shorts and T shirt on.

The washing hanging on the rope still didn't dry though even though it had been out all day.
Misty all day in Southox too, although it thinned enough around midday for a shortened bike circuit with the Beestlings. The sun was half-visible through the mist but never strong enough to break through. We got properly muddy too; must have rained a bit while I was away in the week.
 Signs of Spring - neiltoo
We found last month in Malaga, Benalmadena and Cordova, that as well as perfect weather, we noted that the local authorities were maintaining everything very well, and that there were significant improvements to the infrastructure.
On our walk from Malaga to Rincon de la Victoria, Malaga has built four brand new Chiringuitos along the promenade, and everything along Carahuela beach front was in tip top condition.
I think that the economy in Andalusia is currently on the up.

Anyway to return to the theme, here in Saddleworth it Has been clear blue skies and sunshine all day. Frequently, when it is like this, we can see that just over the nearby Pennines, the weather in Yorkshire can be misty, cloudy or rain - we do feel sorry for the Yorkshire folk!

8o)
Last edited by: neiltoo on Sun 1 Nov 15 at 17:42
 Signs of Spring - R.P.
18 degrees and very mild. Felt like early June here.
 Signs of Spring - Dog
>>friends of ours out there have been posting on Facebook about the tormentas and soggy roads.
When it rains on the Costa it often rains properly!

That weather front must have moved sou'westerly because my late brothers daughter was in Madeira where it rained and rained while she was there. The hotel was nice though, she said :o)
 Signs of Spring - Armel Coussine
Wafting along the drive and through the lanes today, and walking for the comic this morning, saw a whole lot of fallow deer in smallish groups giving me a wide berth and scarpering.

Some way off in the trees though I saw a very big stag with very wide long antlers, accompanied by some younger stags and bucks. Never seen that one or anything that big around here before. You really wouldn't want to be gored by it. Deer are timid as a rule but stags and bucks can stand their ground and be challenging. If you jump and yell they seem to get intimidated though.
 Signs of Spring - Pat
The grass had the last cut of the year yesterday but there are still some summer hanging baskets outside in full bloom, so they can stay for a while.

I can confirm that it is very foggy here and after a quick look out of the bedroom window last night Ian moved his alarm back a half an hour as he's due to load at 3am in Fakenham, with Christmas Chocolates and be in Bradford with them at 7am.

I think he will be late....!

Pat
Currently 4 degrees outside according to weather station. Visibilty around 200m in fog but it looks quite shallow vertically
 Signs of Spring - Zero
second consecutive day of dark, grey, damp mist beckons here in NorthSur. The crows are moaning balefully in the trees.
 Signs of Spring - Dog
Blue sky thinking here, bout 8° but very damp due to the J dew.
Set off this morning with trepidation but was pleasantly surprised - M4 was easier than a lot of fogless Mondays. It helped that the morning's accident happened early and had been cleared by the time I got there.

Visibility was murky but seldom less than 200m, so it was easy enough just to trundle along and maintain a decent view ahead. Can't see any of the airport from my office window, though, so I imagine there are some problems over there.
 Signs of Spring - PeterS
Clear blue skies, bright sunshine and 16.5 degrees again here today ☺️
 Signs of Spring - Haywain
Yesterday, in Bury St Edmunds, we experienced spring-like weather so my wife and I did 'The Wolf Trail', a series of 26 artworks of the wolf, stationed at various points throughout the town. The trail was set up in the summer and, as usual, we never seemed to get round to it - but now, with the imminent threat of the auction of the wolves, we had to get off our backsides. We did all 26 wolves in about 4 hrs - and it was well-worth the effort - there were some magnificent and, indeed, quite moving, pieces. The wolf is closely associated with the legend of St Edmund who should, of course, be our national saint.

It's been much murkier today; my wife e-mailed from work "Just avoided accident by stopping to alter steering wheel [I had driven the car at the weekend]. Car that overtook me was first at the scene of car smashed coming in the opposite direction, youth in a hoodie, straight stretch, mud and leaves on the road. Had my camera turned on. Very foggy in places."

The drive to her school is mostly 12 miles of narrow country lanes and, with the change of use of another local school from 'middle' to '6th form', there has been a large increase in inexperienced teenagers driving beyond their capabilities. Hence the acquisition of a dash-cam for her Focus.
 Signs of Spring - Robin O'Reliant
Another summers day here. If this is global warming, bring it on!
 Signs of Spring - R.P.
We walked for two hours across the dunes on the west coast of Anglesey. We travelled maybe five miles to get there. It was foggy here, it was summer there. It was tee-shirt weather and my jeans felt heavy towards the end...Shorts !! ???

Both dogs been swimming in the sea and in the estuary river at Aberffraw, both now smell sweetly and are fast asleep
Very foggy here today I'd say visibility is down to 100m throughout the day. Not cold though well into double figures.
 Signs of Spring - Roger.
>> Another summers day here. If this is global warming, bring it on!

www.telegraph.co.uk/news/earth/environment/climatechange/11970682/NASA-reveals-that-Antarctica-is-actually-gaining-ice.html
 Signs of Spring - Ted

Very foggy here this morning. Went out to clear the windows of the Vitara about 1000hrs to go off to the pool and do my daily 500 lengths.

I seem to have a spider living in each door mirror and the overnight webs showed up beautifully covered in silvery moisture against the dark red paintwork. Shame they had to go and I didn't have my wits about me for a photo.

Maybe tomorrow...they're busy little blighters !
Latest Forum Posts