Non-motoring > Batteries Computing Issues
Thread Author: Armel Coussine Replies: 21

Batteries - Armel Coussine
Went to the electrician shop today to get a huge battery for a flashlight and a tiny one for my watch. The big one worked after it had been turned round a couple of times, but the watch battery, oh dear what a palaver. It didn't help that I had somehow managed to lose both the old battery and the lid thing that clamps it down.

I went back to the shop. The geezer sold me another new watch battery that had been leaking and was dead, and found my old one in the wastebasket. Perhaps it wasn't an old one after all because the watch works with it. But without the lid thing I had to stick it down with elastoplast, with something packed under it to put pressure on the battery. A very fiddly business it was too. I wonder how long it will last.
 Batteries - R.P.
How odd. I dug out my old Swatch Irony Chronograph the other day and decided to order a new battery. Just over a quid delivered from the Amazon..it had a little screw down hatch on the back, mother of all jobs to ensure it was on. Been wearing the watch all day...quite nostalgic.

PS

It has a very loud tick compared to the Omega..!
Last edited by: R.P. on Mon 2 Nov 15 at 16:39
 Batteries - Dog
Ask Herself nicely if she would be so kind as to get you one of these Sire. No winding up or batteries required:

I have the Seiko 5 jobbie: tinyurl.com/pnq8wjk Amazon

Batteries - R.P.
These Seiko 5s seem to have quite a following...my old biking Seiko Kinetic from 2008 is still going strong and keeps good time. In time the battery will fail and I need to consider a replacement...I had been looking at these. The other option is a little more expensive "Nite" brand designed by a small UK company...
 Batteries - Dog
Howls about this one Rob - Accurate to 1 second in 1 million years. Solar powered never needs a battery change.

www.amazon.co.uk/Precision-Controlled-Powered-Leather-PREW1101/dp/B009SQOC92/ref=sr_1_29?ie=UTF8&qid=1446482120&sr=8-29&keywords=mens+radio+controlled+watches
>> Ask Herself nicely if she would be so kind as to get you one of these

I have a small drawer full of old mechanical self-winders. Even got my old man's WW2 submariner's Lemania, which needs cleaning. Very few people can be trusted with the innards of a watch. Hardly anyone in fact.

Have to go to Brighton cardiology dept in a month to have my pacemaker checked. I hope its battery is still OK because I hate being cut.

I thought I had posted something like this already. Where could it have gone?
 Batteries - bathtub tom
>>I thought I had posted something like this already. Where could it have gone?

The same place as our marbles?

;>)
>> The same place as our marbles?

>> ;>)

British Museum BT?
 Batteries - Roger.
>> >> The same place as our marbles?
>>
>> >> ;>)
>>
>> British Museum BT?
>>

Nah.
Elgin Ave.!
Last edited by: Roger. on Mon 2 Nov 15 at 19:06
>> Nah.
>> Elgin Ave.!

A main route of mine in London days... sigh!
 Batteries - Roger.
I spent many evenings around that whole area of W9 to NW2, NW10. et al, chasing up knocking HP customers. Scary, parts of it.
Rachman country. Three double beds in one room, paraffin heater going, army blankets nailed to the windows. The stink, Oh, the stink in some of those festering houses.
We always went arrears collecting in pairs.
www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.5269565,-0.194617,17z
 Batteries - Stuartli
Love Seiko, Pulsar and Lorus watches, along with Seiko's Epson printers range (the company also made the Seikosha between-lens camera shutters).

Bought a Pulsar Kinetic blue face stainless steel watch, waterproof to 100 metres, no battery costs and which has never kept other than perfect time, about three years ago for a bargain £69.97 at Argos. It was listed at £155 at H Samuel at the time...:-)

Seiko acquired the Kinetic technology in the early 1990s to enable it to use it in its own watch ranges.
 Batteries - R.P.
AC, They sell those battery lids on Amazon if you're struggling ..
Thanks Rob. I'll try to get it together, but the bodge is still working OK so no rush.
 Batteries - Ted

I lost the lid off my micrometer. A little square of squashy cardboard and a couple of inches of Sellotape seem to do the trick ok.
>> A little square of squashy cardboard and a couple of inches of Sellotape

Yeah... but the bodge in my case isn't completely reliable.

I may try RP's Amazon solution, if I can work out how to do it.
 Batteries - Mike Hannon
>>The geezer sold me another new watch battery that had been leaking and was dead<<

So your electrician buys his batteries by the card in the pound shop too...
 Batteries - Fursty Ferret
>> Went to the electrician shop today to get a huge battery for a flashlight

You can still get those?

Buy one of these instead.
www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Auraglow-Alphalux-G194-10w-Rechargeable-800lm-LED-Torch-Tent-Flashlight-Diffuser-/191046001088?hash=item2c7b3aa1c0:g:ERgAAOSwT5tWJhM5
My highly competent niece-in-law did the Amazon manoeuvre for me. Two lids arrived, and one of them fitted, so the watch is fine now.

I think the little lids cost £4.50 each, but she waved away any mention of payment. She earns far more money than I ever have, but even so I'll have to think of some sort of present for her.
>> My highly competent niece-in-law did the Amazon manoeuvre for me.

Without being asked to. She's a ferocious marketing executive who probably finds my vagueness and faffing a bit annoying. She's a great girl in my book.
 Batteries - Pat
>>probably finds my vagueness and faffing a bit annoying.<<

Not at all, like us she finds it strangely endearing;)

....and if anyone dares say otherwise they will have me to deal with!

Pat
 Batteries - PhilW
"I'll have to think of some sort of present for her"
How about a nice watch??

Last summer my old Accurist started going haywire - gaining time, losing time, stopping etc.
So,thought I'd treat myself to a new watch, nothing too flash, but a nice looking Seiko.
Took it home in its box and decided that I had better strim the lawn after our long summer holiday (we have a big lawn and various "wild" bits which had really gone wild).
Finished strimming, went inside, put on new Seiko and stuck old Accurist on bedside cabinet. It's been there for 15 months now and has kept perfect time!
Latest Forum Posts